Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our debutants yesterday 07:48 - Jul 31 with 5380 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Greg Leigh - what a player we have there. He made a fabulous saving header soon after coming on that was a certain goal for Notlob. He is really positive, looks as strong as an ox, quick, gets right up the pitch, great delivery, and should have started. The only reason I can see for him not starting yesterday is that if we needed defensive muscle for the last 30 minutes, he would be the choice. But a baffling decision by KM.

Freddie Ladapo - got into some decent positions, looks dangerous, but scuffed his best chance. Up against a very tough defensive unit, but looks like he will get goals.

Marcus Harness - Just didn't see him get into the game at all. He needs more time on the training ground with the squad to learn how to time runs. On that showing, he isn't earning a starting place, and I was disappointed with what I saw.

Leif Davis - feel sorry for the lad. I think it was the wrong call to start him, he must still be living out of a suitcase and hasn't had time to do his laundry from Australia yet, let alone train with the squad and get an understanding. That said, he looks quick and positive, and should come good, but he will have his work cut out to be first choice over Leigh. A bit careless to make contact for the pen, but he isn't the first and won't be the last to do that.

Tyreece John-Jules - nearly forgot we had 5! He looks extremely lively. Will be a helluva handful for League 1 defences. Missed a couple of chances though, but nice to have those skills and pace in our front line.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2022 7:54]

Poll: would you rather

Our debutants yesterday on 07:51 - Jul 31 with 3662 viewsPrideOfTheEast

V early days. Liked the look of Leigh. Ladapo did fine and the Arsenal kid clearly decent.
Our debutants yesterday on 07:54 - Jul 31 with 3635 viewstextbackup

Leigh 1000000% should have started, but i get when you spend £1m on a full back in L1 that he needs to be seen as possibly a main man.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Our debutants yesterday on 07:54 - Jul 31 with 3640 viewsDJR

It's early days but I am surprised by the hype surrounding Leif Davis given he had only played 21 games in his entire career before joining us.
Our debutants yesterday on 07:57 - Jul 31 with 3590 viewstextbackup

Our debutants yesterday on 07:51 - Jul 31 by PrideOfTheEast

V early days. Liked the look of Leigh. Ladapo did fine and the Arsenal kid clearly decent.

that JJ took the ball at one point and managed to get between two bolton players to create something out of nothing for himself.... so nearly a goal, really liked him

was a little disappointed in chaplin yesterday, one of, if not my favourite player, but really didnt get in the game

Our debutants yesterday on 07:59 - Jul 31 with 3585 viewsDJR

Our debutants yesterday on 07:57 - Jul 31 by textbackup

that JJ took the ball at one point and managed to get between two bolton players to create something out of nothing for himself.... so nearly a goal, really liked him

was a little disappointed in chaplin yesterday, one of, if not my favourite player, but really didnt get in the game

It's funny how opinions vary. I have some misgivings about Chaplin but thought he did well yesterday.
Our debutants yesterday on 08:07 - Jul 31 with 3498 viewsSimonds92

Our debutants yesterday on 07:59 - Jul 31 by DJR

It's funny how opinions vary. I have some misgivings about Chaplin but thought he did well yesterday.

Agree, he seemed to improve when TJJ came on who looked very impressive. It didnt come to anything in the end but there was some fantastic movement from Chaplin in the second half where he pulled the cb all over the place. He may be more suited to playing as a 2 up top, not sure why there is a reluctance to do this is, it's hardly a huge change in shape.
Our debutants yesterday on 08:10 - Jul 31 with 3461 viewsBcarefulwhatUWish4

Thought Leigh, Ladapo and John-Jules all had very positive debuts. Davis has literally just arrived after a very long flight and showed some good moments (and one bad).
Our debutants yesterday on 08:14 - Jul 31 with 3398 viewstextbackup

oh he certainly wasnt poor by any stretch, i've probably built him up too much in my head

Login to get fewer ads

Our debutants yesterday on 08:27 - Jul 31 with 3326 viewsglasso

I thought TJJ looked really busy. Final ball was a little off - three or four times he was inches from a killer through ball/cross that could've easily seen him with three assists - but given a bit of game time, that'll come pretty quickly. He seemed to have a good understanding with Ladapo while they were on together as well
Our debutants yesterday on 08:32 - Jul 31 with 3281 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Pretty much agree with all of that except - on that showing - I don't think Freddie Ladapo filled me with any confidence that he will get goals. But early days.

I said exactly what you said about Greg Leigh after the game. Apparently had a good pre-season too so very unlucky not to start. And as it turned out, that was a mistake by KM.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Our debutants yesterday on 08:33 - Jul 31 with 3266 viewstextbackup

Our debutants yesterday on 08:10 - Jul 31 by BcarefulwhatUWish4

Thought Leigh, Ladapo and John-Jules all had very positive debuts. Davis has literally just arrived after a very long flight and showed some good moments (and one bad).

he was at portman road tuesday with the squad. little far fetch to say he had just got off a flight

Our debutants yesterday on 08:34 - Jul 31 with 3268 viewsDavoIPB

Really don't like Chaplin as a player. Too slow and not strong enough. Didn't do much yesterday. We have much better options. I.e Aluko and JJ
Our debutants yesterday on 08:36 - Jul 31 with 3245 viewstextbackup

Our debutants yesterday on 08:34 - Jul 31 by DavoIPB

Really don't like Chaplin as a player. Too slow and not strong enough. Didn't do much yesterday. We have much better options. I.e Aluko and JJ

hes a little power house, and quick.... what on earth

Our debutants yesterday on 08:50 - Jul 31 with 3154 viewsITFC_Forever

Hasn’t Leif been back from Australia for a week now?

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Our debutants yesterday on 09:04 - Jul 31 with 2998 viewsGarv

Our debutants yesterday on 08:07 - Jul 31 by Simonds92

Agree, he seemed to improve when TJJ came on who looked very impressive. It didnt come to anything in the end but there was some fantastic movement from Chaplin in the second half where he pulled the cb all over the place. He may be more suited to playing as a 2 up top, not sure why there is a reluctance to do this is, it's hardly a huge change in shape.

I felt we lost a lot of creativity when Chaplin went off and the game went fairly flat - his link up with Burns is always worth persisting with IMO.

JJ looks more like a striker than a no.10 (either way he looks quite exciting) and we were very reliant on Aluko trying to walk the ball into the net.

Sadly Sone doesn't appear to have much of a scoring touch and does all his good work too far from goal. I love the guy but he frustrated me yesterday. For all his nice footwork, the two opportunities he had to cross and then shoot from 22 yards, on his strong foot, he wasted badly.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2022 11:33]

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Our debutants yesterday on 09:05 - Jul 31 with 2991 viewsDyland

Our debutants yesterday on 08:34 - Jul 31 by DavoIPB

wtf...

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Our debutants yesterday on 09:06 - Jul 31 with 2979 viewsVeggie

Our debutants yesterday on 07:54 - Jul 31 by textbackup

Leigh 1000000% should have started, but i get when you spend £1m on a full back in L1 that he needs to be seen as possibly a main man.

I wonder if having 3 of the American owners at the game put pressure on KMc to start their ‘star’ signing? Certainly seemed a little premature to throw him in.
Our debutants yesterday on 09:07 - Jul 31 with 2966 viewstextbackup

Our debutants yesterday on 09:06 - Jul 31 by Veggie

I wonder if having 3 of the American owners at the game put pressure on KMc to start their ‘star’ signing? Certainly seemed a little premature to throw him in.

absolutely not

Our debutants yesterday on 09:08 - Jul 31 with 2955 viewsDJR

Our debutants yesterday on 08:36 - Jul 31 by textbackup

hes a little power house, and quick.... what on earth

Agreed. My criticism of him is that he can sometimes be a bit too quick, with the result that his passing can be a little erratic. But I don't think that was the case yesterday.
Our debutants yesterday on 09:08 - Jul 31 with 2946 viewsGarv

Our debutants yesterday on 08:32 - Jul 31 by The_Flashing_Smile

Pretty much agree with all of that except - on that showing - I don't think Freddie Ladapo filled me with any confidence that he will get goals. But early days.

I said exactly what you said about Greg Leigh after the game. Apparently had a good pre-season too so very unlucky not to start. And as it turned out, that was a mistake by KM.

Have to remember Ladapo spent a lot of the game trying to out muscle an absolute mountain of a defender, who comfortably towered over Ladapo himself. I think he'll dominate other defences.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Our debutants yesterday on 09:14 - Jul 31 with 2886 viewstextbackup

Our debutants yesterday on 09:08 - Jul 31 by Garv

Have to remember Ladapo spent a lot of the game trying to out muscle an absolute mountain of a defender, who comfortably towered over Ladapo himself. I think he'll dominate other defences.

Ladapo is a handful, i think he put himself about well yesterday, goal or two will settle him down

Our debutants yesterday on 09:38 - Jul 31 with 2781 viewspointofblue

Our debutants yesterday on 08:50 - Jul 31 by ITFC_Forever

Hasn’t Leif been back from Australia for a week now?

Yes, though yesterday was the first time he’s had any match time with us. Guess the warning sign he was going to start, looking back, was Leigh playing against Southend.

My biggest concern is he’ll be a pet project to McKenna. He needs to earn his place in the side, not just be given it because KM likes him and the transfer fee.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Our debutants yesterday on 09:42 - Jul 31 with 2760 viewsDJR

Our debutants yesterday on 09:38 - Jul 31 by pointofblue

Yes, though yesterday was the first time he’s had any match time with us. Guess the warning sign he was going to start, looking back, was Leigh playing against Southend.

My biggest concern is he’ll be a pet project to McKenna. He needs to earn his place in the side, not just be given it because KM likes him and the transfer fee.

My concern with him is that at the age of 22, he has only ever played 21 games. In my view, that must make it difficult to judge how good he really is. The other thing to say was that he didn't look particularly attacking yesterday, although that may in part be due to the way Bolton played.
Our debutants yesterday on 09:44 - Jul 31 with 2745 viewschicoazul

I don’t know if it gets more Banter Era than our brand new mega bucks defender giving away a penalty in his first game, at home, to Bolton of all damn people.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Our debutants yesterday on 09:46 - Jul 31 with 2727 viewsMullet

Our debutants yesterday on 09:42 - Jul 31 by DJR

My concern with him is that at the age of 22, he has only ever played 21 games. In my view, that must make it difficult to judge how good he really is. The other thing to say was that he didn't look particularly attacking yesterday, although that may in part be due to the way Bolton played.

He had a couple of good opportunities going forward that didn't come to much given how our first half went. One where the ball came across their area and he got down the wing well only for Bolton to win a fortunate throw by kicking it off our player.

The problem was really a soft penalty and booking meaning he had lost his head/licence to get forward so easily.

He's clearly got talent and yesterday was a stinker, but I'd wager that will make him strive to do better especially if his place is under threat to Leigh.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024