Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What a moment OTD 10 years ago… 09:52 - Nov 1 with 1636 viewsSitfcB

Town Confirm McCarthy Manager 1st Nov 2012 09:10
Mick McCarthy has been confirmed as the new manager of Ipswich Town. The 53-year-old has signed a contract until the summer of 2015 and will be joined at Portman Road by his former Wolves assistant Terry Connor. 128

Doubt he thought the same thing come the end though…

McCarthy: Evans is a Really Good Guy 1st Nov 2012 23:34
New boss Mick McCarthy says he wouldn’t have joined the Blues if he hadn’t hit it off with Town owner Marcus Evans. The 53-year-old was installed as the new manager at Portman Road earlier today. 13

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 09:55 - Nov 1 with 1600 viewsPhilTWTD

Good spot. Seems unbelievable that it's 10 years!
What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 09:58 - Nov 1 with 1568 viewsSitfcB

What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 09:55 - Nov 1 by PhilTWTD

Yeah crazy, time flies.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 10:01 - Nov 1 with 1540 viewsFromReuserWithLove

What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 09:58 - Nov 1 by SitfcB

Yeah crazy, time flies.

even when you're not having fun.
What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 10:05 - Nov 1 with 1536 viewsDarth_Koont

McCarthy did a fantastic job of halting the inexorable slide from Magilton to Keane to Jewell.

We were dead and buried in the Championship (or should have been) when he came in but he kept us up and then built an automatic promotion-chasing team in just over a year. He even brought a couple of thousand fans back with attendances also going the wrong way.

Then when Evans tried to limit his losses McCarthy kept us up and even kept building the value of the squad even while we were a long way from competing financially with the top half of the division.

Was the football dreary? Often, yes. But see above. And when we were good and competing it was also pretty good at times.

In the end, McCarthy delayed the inevitable relegation and let Evans minimise spending. But it was still a pretty phenomenal job given the circumstances.

Pronouns: He/Him

What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 11:41 - Nov 1 with 1404 viewsdavblue

What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 10:05 - Nov 1 by Darth_Koont

McCarthy did a fantastic job of halting the inexorable slide from Magilton to Keane to Jewell.

We were dead and buried in the Championship (or should have been) when he came in but he kept us up and then built an automatic promotion-chasing team in just over a year. He even brought a couple of thousand fans back with attendances also going the wrong way.

Then when Evans tried to limit his losses McCarthy kept us up and even kept building the value of the squad even while we were a long way from competing financially with the top half of the division.

Was the football dreary? Often, yes. But see above. And when we were good and competing it was also pretty good at times.

In the end, McCarthy delayed the inevitable relegation and let Evans minimise spending. But it was still a pretty phenomenal job given the circumstances.

1st 2/3 years were good, last part whilst it was a good job the entertainment was awful but he got the most and more out of his teams with the quality he had at his disposal.

Think of the Play off midfield Tabb, Skuse, Hyam, Bru, Anderson They all done a job but they weren't the best players, Skuse being the best of them by some way.
What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 11:42 - Nov 1 with 1396 viewsdavblue

Mick Ma, Mick Ma, Mick Ma, Mick Ma, Mick McCarthy..... Terry, Terry, Terry, Terry, Terry Connor...
What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 11:44 - Nov 1 with 1398 viewstextbackup

"automatic promotion-chasing team"

errrr, i mean, he didnt. he built a team that finished 6th. and they finished 6th because they weren't automatic promotion chasing quality.

thats not me being anti him, thats me disagreeing with the point you've made.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 11:54 - Nov 1 with 1336 viewsITFC_Forever

Mick's biggest fault was allowing himself to be a human shield for ME.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Login to get fewer ads

What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 12:17 - Nov 1 with 1264 viewsSparky85

Right man at the right time. Just outstayed his welcome

Was completely screwed by Marcus Evans when we were top at Christmas and probably needed a little injection
What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 13:17 - Nov 1 with 1108 viewsMattinLondon

What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 12:17 - Nov 1 by Sparky85

Right man at the right time. Just outstayed his welcome

Was completely screwed by Marcus Evans when we were top at Christmas and probably needed a little injection

If I remember correctly MM told ME that he didn’t want any new players during that transfer window? Or didn’t think that anyone significantly better was available.
What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 13:20 - Nov 1 with 1087 viewsPhilTWTD

What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 13:17 - Nov 1 by MattinLondon

If I remember correctly MM told ME that he didn’t want any new players during that transfer window? Or didn’t think that anyone significantly better was available.

He did say he was concened about 'Rodney Marsh Syndrome'; making changes which would upset the balance of the team. As it was, he signed Freddie Sears to strengthen up front and tried to sign Billy Sharp on loan from Leeds. There were also additions on loan after the window closed. It wasn't quite so important to get business done in January at that point as the loan window was open until March.
What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 13:26 - Nov 1 with 1042 viewsDarth_Koont

What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 11:44 - Nov 1 by textbackup

errrr, i mean, he didnt. he built a team that finished 6th. and they finished 6th because they weren't automatic promotion chasing quality.

Nah. We were definitely a side chasing the automatics in 2014/15. We were top, or at least top two, going into the second half and fell away after a very bad run even by our own standards.

Pronouns: He/Him

What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 13:32 - Nov 1 with 1018 viewsBseaBlue

What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 13:20 - Nov 1 by PhilTWTD

He did say he was concened about 'Rodney Marsh Syndrome'; making changes which would upset the balance of the team. As it was, he signed Freddie Sears to strengthen up front and tried to sign Billy Sharp on loan from Leeds. There were also additions on loan after the window closed. It wasn't quite so important to get business done in January at that point as the loan window was open until March.

Still can't help but feel that could have been our 'Marcus Stewart' moment at that point and do the business to see the season out. Regardless of who's decision it was, I'd imagine both Mick and ME probably regret not making the most of that window.
What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 13:33 - Nov 1 with 1013 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bitter sweet for me. He very much steadied the ship and briefly looked as though he may take us somewhere, but it was also the most bored I've been following us in the best part of 45 years.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 14:07 - Nov 1 with 912 viewsPhilTWTD

What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 13:32 - Nov 1 by BseaBlue

Still can't help but feel that could have been our 'Marcus Stewart' moment at that point and do the business to see the season out. Regardless of who's decision it was, I'd imagine both Mick and ME probably regret not making the most of that window.

Maybe. Losing McGoldrick was a blow, but Sears started scoring at a similar rate so we didn't miss his goals. I never got the impression Mick believed we would go up automatically. I could be wrong, but I think he felt the teams with the parachute payments and bigger squads would probably eventually come to the fore.

This post has been edited by an administrator
What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 14:11 - Nov 1 with 903 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 11:44 - Nov 1 by textbackup

Of course we were automatic promotion chasing, we were in the top 2 into January, still within 3 points (and a game in hand) at the end of Feb and still within 5 points at the end of March despite a bad run. Mathematically it was still possible with 3 games to go

The key word of course being chasing - if ultimately missing out automatically means you can’t be described as promotion-chasing then there would be no such thing, just ‘promoted’

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 14:14 - Nov 1 with 889 viewschicoazul

What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 11:54 - Nov 1 by ITFC_Forever

Mick's biggest fault was allowing himself to be a human shield for ME.

Exactly right.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 14:16 - Nov 1 with 885 viewsitfc_bucks

What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 09:55 - Nov 1 by PhilTWTD

Christ, I'd have said that ten years ago, it was still Royle.

Just makes me feel old...
What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 14:19 - Nov 1 with 875 viewstextbackup

What a moment OTD 10 years ago… on 13:26 - Nov 1 by Darth_Koont

Nah. We were definitely a side chasing the automatics in 2014/15. We were top, or at least top two, going into the second half and fell away after a very bad run even by our own standards.

so, we weren't chasing the top two then, due to dropping away terribly, and tripped/fell into 6th

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024