Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does TWTD think that Garner signing suggests a loosening of the purse strings? 05:06 - Jun 13 with 7027 viewsbontcho

£1million on a 29 year old is far more than we've been spending recently. Younger players perhaps but there's little re-sale value in a 29 year old I would have thought. Or more a sign the even ME can see we need a striker and has just accepted they cost more.

Bulgarian penalty hero
Poll: Which Harrison should we sign?

Does TWTD think that Garner signing suggests a loosening of the purse strings? on 05:10 - Jun 13 with 7020 viewsBenters

Two things here,one i hope he agrees his personal terms otherwise there will be much sobbing on here.

Two i hope Terry Butcher is wrong about Garner.

Oh and three i hope MM plays a better style of footie next season.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2017 5:28]

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Does TWTD think that Garner signing suggests a loosening of the purse strings? on 06:41 - Jun 13 with 6942 viewsPinewoodblue

We tried to spend similar sums several times in the January transfer window and failed. We haven't agreed personal terms yet which is always likely to be a stumbling block.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Does TWTD think that Garner signing suggests a loosening of the purse strings? on 06:59 - Jun 13 with 6917 viewswkj

i dont think it is a change of policy, a transfer fee signing like this is probably as much a move to stimulate season ticket sales as much as it is to strengthen the squad

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Does TWTD think that Garner signing suggests a loosening of the purse strings? on 07:56 - Jun 13 with 6832 viewsTIB

Does TWTD think that Garner signing suggests a loosening of the purse strings? on 05:10 - Jun 13 by Benters

Two things here,one i hope he agrees his personal terms otherwise there will be much sobbing on here.

Lad in my office follows Rangers and says Butcher is talking sh*t regarding him unable to head the ball, saying Garner playing the Murphy role should work and in general, his ability in the air is decent. Time will tell, by the sounds of it, he may stumble on personal terms.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Does TWTD think that Garner signing suggests a loosening of the purse strings? on 07:59 - Jun 13 with 6829 viewsBlueBadger

We had this last year with the £800k signing of Webster. It was a big(in the context o what Mick had been allowed to spend before) money signing and there was the glimmer that it might lead to more. I'll reserve my judgement until September, but I'm not overly optimistic that Evens has changed his policy over much.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Does TWTD think that Garner signing suggests a loosening of the purse strings? on 08:19 - Jun 13 with 6795 viewsJimmyJazz

Does TWTD think that Garner signing suggests a loosening of the purse strings? on 05:10 - Jun 13 by Benters

Terry Butcher is a legend, but he's no fountain of football knowledge

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Does TWTD think that Garner signing suggests a loosening of the purse strings? on 08:37 - Jun 13 with 6780 viewsRadlett_blue

I would say the latter. Even Evans must have the nous to see that playing a season with Leon Best & Kieffer Moore as your only target men has been a disaster. As you say, even half decent central strikers cost quite a lot so I don't see this as the start of a spending spree e.g. Huws, who really might make a difference to the team.
I'm preparing my response for when Pitman is paid to leave (I'm sure he's on a decent wage).

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Does TWTD think that Garner signing suggests a loosening of the purse strings? on 08:53 - Jun 13 with 6758 viewsWestover

I think we should have spent what money we have getting Huws in before thinking about others we have had enough time to sort it.
Login to get fewer ads

Does TWTD think that Garner signing suggests a loosening of the purse strings? on 09:07 - Jun 13 with 6734 viewsitfcjoe

It's just a belated re-investment of the Murphy money for me, which makes the squad younger - can't expect we'll spend these sort of sums on many other players of that age.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Does TWTD think that Garner signing suggests a loosening of the purse strings? on 09:12 - Jun 13 with 6716 viewsSwansea_Blue

Does TWTD think that Garner signing suggests a loosening of the purse strings? on 06:59 - Jun 13 by wkj

i dont think it is a change of policy, a transfer fee signing like this is probably as much a move to stimulate season ticket sales as much as it is to strengthen the squad

This. As well as this presumably being something Mick would like to see happen, I suspect the owner sees it (or will spin it) this as a significant statement of intent and there will be much crowing from the club about the fee. I imagine other signings will be on the free or cheap model.

I could be wrong of course. But I doubt it triggers a loosening of the purse strings - more an attempt at a placating gesture, doomed to fail because people will still compare us to clubs who have parachute payments and can spend £20-30m over the summer without batting an eyelid.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2017 9:17]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Does TWTD think that Garner signing suggests a loosening of the purse strings? on 09:16 - Jun 13 with 6712 viewschicoazul

Cant read anything into one signing that hasnt happened yet anyway. If we sign 4 or 5 more players for good fees then yes that is a change of policy.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Does TWTD think that Garner signing suggests a loosening of the purse strings? on 09:23 - Jun 13 with 6695 viewsGavTWTD

Does TWTD think that Garner signing suggests a loosening of the purse strings? on 08:53 - Jun 13 by Westover

I think we should have spent what money we have getting Huws in before thinking about others we have had enough time to sort it.

Can we only do one at a time? Perhaps Huws is waiting to see what improvements we make to the playing squad before signing.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Does TWTD think that Garner signing suggests a loosening of the purse strings? on 09:29 - Jun 13 with 6671 viewsRadlett_blue

Does TWTD think that Garner signing suggests a loosening of the purse strings? on 09:23 - Jun 13 by GavTWTD

Can we only do one at a time? Perhaps Huws is waiting to see what improvements we make to the playing squad before signing.

More likely, Huws & his agent are assessing various contract offers, assuming the clubs will meet Cardiff's asking price.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Does TWTD think that Garner signing suggests a loosening of the purse strings? on 11:35 - Jun 13 with 6584 viewsJ2BLUE

Wait until the news breaks that Bart is going to Rangers for Garner and £1m.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Does TWTD think that Garner signing suggests a loosening of the purse strings? on 11:41 - Jun 13 with 6572 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Will you be back next season now it's cheaper and we potentially may sign someone a little bit good?

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Does TWTD think that Garner signing suggests a loosening of the purse strings? on 14:49 - Jun 13 with 6452 viewsrickw

I think this shows what Mick's for Evans's 5 point plan - "purchase players in the early stages of their career" well our first million pound signing in 5 years will be a 29 year old.....

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Does TWTD think that Garner signing suggests a loosening of the purse strings? on 14:50 - Jun 13 with 6452 viewsbontcho

Does TWTD think that Garner signing suggests a loosening of the purse strings? on 07:59 - Jun 13 by BlueBadger

We had this last year with the £800k signing of Webster. It was a big(in the context o what Mick had been allowed to spend before) money signing and there was the glimmer that it might lead to more. I'll reserve my judgement until September, but I'm not overly optimistic that Evens has changed his policy over much.

I think Webster is different, because of his age. There's little resale value in a 29 year old, whereas Webster is already worth more than we paid for him.

Bulgarian penalty hero
Poll: Which Harrison should we sign?

Does TWTD think that Garner signing suggests a loosening of the purse strings? on 15:25 - Jun 13 with 6386 viewshadleighboyblue

Does TWTD think that Garner signing suggests a loosening of the purse strings? on 07:59 - Jun 13 by BlueBadger

£1m plus decent wages for an unproven 29 year old on a 3 year contract sounds a bit over the odds . Unlike the signing of Webster he is not going to increase in value , with the possibility of a profit being made .

Much prefer we looked at younger , hungry players who will get better and have a career ahead of them .

Proven scorers from abroad or lower divisions would be a lot cheaper than this deal .
Does TWTD think that Garner signing suggests a loosening of the purse strings? on 15:29 - Jun 13 with 6374 viewsHarryWright

Don't get taken in by Evans that easily, he lowers match day tickets and signs someone for a bit of money when he's trying to make up for lost season ticket holders? We won't spend much if anything after this and will continue to be average.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024