Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thing from the past which were ok then but... 16:19 - Aug 16 with 6916 viewsFixed_It

...would be frowned upon now.

Clearing out my Mum's garage last weekend and we uncovered an old, much-loved toy from my childhood. It was a Golliwog, which if I remember correctly was affectionately known as Sam. Obviously, you don't see them these days - understandably - but back in the day no-one batted an eyelid. I couldn't chuck him out, nor could I resurrect him - so he is still residing in my Mum's garage with the other tat she wanted to hang on to.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 16:21 - Aug 16 with 4543 viewsBlueBadger

According to Donald Trump, punching nazis.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 16:22 - Aug 16 with 4540 viewsMullet

Are they actually worth anything?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 16:22 - Aug 16 with 4535 viewsWeWereZombies

Rolling a hedgehog in mud and then baking it without killing it first.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 16:24 - Aug 16 with 4519 viewsFixed_It

Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 16:22 - Aug 16 by Mullet

Are they actually worth anything?

I did wonder that. Dunno.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 16:25 - Aug 16 with 4504 viewsFixed_It

Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 16:22 - Aug 16 by WeWereZombies

Rolling a hedgehog in mud and then baking it without killing it first.

At least you've made me feel better about myself!

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 16:28 - Aug 16 with 4486 viewsThePitBoss

Having a laugh with mates at football.

Too many snowflakes now. See last night.
Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 16:28 - Aug 16 with 4481 viewsWeWereZombies

Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 16:25 - Aug 16 by Fixed_It

At least you've made me feel better about myself!

I would like to point out that I have never done this, think it was more of a pre World War One thing.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 16:29 - Aug 16 with 4472 viewsBluebell

Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 16:28 - Aug 16 by WeWereZombies

I would like to point out that I have never done this, think it was more of a pre World War One thing.

We must ask Facters that to see if he remembers doing it.
Login to get fewer ads

Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 16:29 - Aug 16 with 4477 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

You do still see them for sale in some tourist outposts.

Also they were the branding for a certain Jam manufacturer.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 16:31 - Aug 16 with 4462 viewsMullet

Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 16:24 - Aug 16 by Fixed_It

I did wonder that. Dunno.

One of the dinky toys is worth nearly a grand! Badges £4-15 a piece by the look judging by eBaynomics.

Cash in and put it towards your ST. That way if we're terrible you can say it's because you sold it. If we're ace you can convince yourself it's fate. Perfect.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 16:33 - Aug 16 with 4445 viewsFixed_It

Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 16:31 - Aug 16 by Mullet

One of the dinky toys is worth nearly a grand! Badges £4-15 a piece by the look judging by eBaynomics.

Cash in and put it towards your ST. That way if we're terrible you can say it's because you sold it. If we're ace you can convince yourself it's fate. Perfect.

I suspect it would need to be boxed or in mint condition to have much value. Mine doesn't really come into that category.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 16:34 - Aug 16 with 4443 viewsBluebell

Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 16:29 - Aug 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

You do still see them for sale in some tourist outposts.

Also they were the branding for a certain Jam manufacturer.

All the golliwogs in the Noddy books had to be changed too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/6359248/Noddy-returns-without-the-golliwogs.html
Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 16:47 - Aug 16 with 4354 viewsWD19

When I was growing up 'Bobs your uncle' was a favourite card game I used to play with my Grandma..........

Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 16:49 - Aug 16 with 4345 viewsColin_Viljoen

When I lived in East London, a friend from work told me he was walking down the road at the weekend when a police riot type van went past him & somebody waved a Golliwog out of the back window at him, he thought it was really funny at the time.....yes he was black!
Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 16:50 - Aug 16 with 4329 viewsGlasgowBlue

We used to take spud guns, catapults and pen knives to primary school.

Doubt that is allowed these days.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 16:56 - Aug 16 with 4300 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Had to double take when I saw a women on a street corner in Havana flogging them this summer. Not seen one in years
Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 17:03 - Aug 16 with 4261 viewsRadlett_blue

Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 16:50 - Aug 16 by GlasgowBlue

But in the USA, some seem to take guns to school. Plenty also seem to carry knives (whether allowed or not).

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 17:25 - Aug 16 with 4190 viewsipswich78

I doubt it was allowed 'then' surely??

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 17:27 - Aug 16 with 4179 viewsvilanovablue

Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 16:28 - Aug 16 by ThePitBoss

Having a laugh with mates at football.

Too many snowflakes now. See last night.

People who aren't racist?
Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 17:53 - Aug 16 with 4134 viewsuefacup81

Being a vile disgusting excuse for a human being (apparently).

See also: The Justin Fashanu Chant

(lights blue touchpaper and retreats)

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 17:56 - Aug 16 with 4109 viewsThePitBoss

Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 17:27 - Aug 16 by vilanovablue

People who aren't racist?

What racism?
Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 19:21 - Aug 16 with 3958 viewsRimmersBrace

Topless school girls in national newspapers.
Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 19:24 - Aug 16 with 3949 viewssparks

saw some new ones in a Tintagel gift shop a couple of weeks back :-)

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 20:37 - Aug 16 with 3824 viewsRocky

You'll be telling us next you used to play conkers without wearing a crash helmet.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2017 20:37]
Thing from the past which were ok then but... on 20:39 - Aug 16 with 3806 viewsRocky

Thing from the past which were ok then but...
...would be frowned upon now.

Izal toilet paper.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024