Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Christmas Markets 15:09 - Oct 24 with 5379 viewsOsborneOneNil

I'm taking Mrs Ozzy to a European Christmas market, early December. Have any you knowledgeable lot got a favourite? I'm considering Prague, Krakow, Berlin.

But open to other suggestions.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2017 15:18]
Christmas Markets on 15:10 - Oct 24 with 5368 viewsSpruceMoose

I hear Clacton is a good one.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Christmas Markets on 15:13 - Oct 24 with 5358 viewsKieran_Knows

I went to Berlin at the back end of November last year, and that was very good. Couldn't comment on the other 2 places you are considering, but all i'd say it I would definitely recommend Berlin.

Enjoy, wherever you do end up!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Christmas Markets on 15:16 - Oct 24 with 5345 viewsartsbossbeard

Cologne is decent.

Cheap flights with Germanwings, 1hr flight, airport 15 minute train ride away from the central station, plenty of reasonably priced hotels and some decent walking & picture taking opportunities.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Christmas Markets on 15:19 - Oct 24 with 5327 viewsOsborneOneNil

Christmas Markets on 15:10 - Oct 24 by SpruceMoose

I hear Clacton is a good one.

Stayed near there Saturday night before the game, well, Weeley. So for that reason, i'll try somewhere else.
Christmas Markets on 15:20 - Oct 24 with 5318 viewsOsborneOneNil

Christmas Markets on 15:13 - Oct 24 by Kieran_Knows

I went to Berlin at the back end of November last year, and that was very good. Couldn't comment on the other 2 places you are considering, but all i'd say it I would definitely recommend Berlin.

Thanks Mick, I' m keen on Berlin. Decent things to do in the evening I am told?
Christmas Markets on 15:21 - Oct 24 with 5306 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

I haven't been to any Christmas markets as yet.. Well I went to Riga but that wasn't particularly big so I don't really count it.. But having been to Cologne and Budapest in recent summers I would expect their Christmas markets to be pretty impressive.

I have my flights booked for Nuremberg this December which supposedly has decent markets and I can wander around the old Nazi party rally grounds etc. as well.
Christmas Markets on 15:22 - Oct 24 with 5297 viewsTractorWood

Nuremberg is meant to be good and it's pretty accessible. I'm tackling the same issue and reckon it will be there or Koln but have done the Rheinland a few times.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Christmas Markets on 15:24 - Oct 24 with 5297 viewsKieran_Knows

Christmas Markets on 15:20 - Oct 24 by OsborneOneNil

Thanks Mick, I' m keen on Berlin. Decent things to do in the evening I am told?

Certainly. We took a visit to the Reichstag Building and Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe one evening, that was very good. Another evening I managed to persuade the missus to watch a Hertha Berlin game (I mean, I never planned for the weekend to fall on a day they played.....), and another afternoon/evening we spent in an Xmas market.

Plenty to do and a wonderful place.

EDIT - aside, we also visited the Berlin Zoo (kind of had to considering I dragged her along to the football), Brandenburg Gate, Berlin Wall and Checkpoint Charlie among other things. Also, in terms of eating/drinking out in the evening, we was never far from places to go. We stayed at TRYP Hotel, Mitte. Was only ever 10-15 minutes away on the U-Bahn to all the main attractions (except the football stadium).
[Post edited 24 Oct 2017 15:28]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Login to get fewer ads

on 15:30 - Oct 24 with 5279 views_

Christmas Markets on 15:33 - Oct 24 with 5269 viewsBlueStreak

on 15:30 - Oct 24 by _

I am going Thursday for a proper LADS weekend. I will have enough fun for you, don't you worry.
Christmas Markets on 15:34 - Oct 24 with 5265 viewsSpruceMoose

Christmas Markets on 15:33 - Oct 24 by BlueStreak

I am going Thursday for a proper LADS weekend. I will have enough fun for you, don't you worry.

Don't forget the FLA banner!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Christmas Markets on 15:35 - Oct 24 with 5258 viewsBerlinBlue

Christmas Markets on 15:13 - Oct 24 by Kieran_Knows

Berlin is good, esp as it has more than one market, all different to each other. The Gendarmenmarkt Christmas Market is one of the best there (small entry fee), the one at Schloss Charlottenburg is also very good.

Other than Berlin, you could try Dresden.

If you decide on Berlin, I could give you some pointers if you like.
Christmas Markets on 16:27 - Oct 24 with 5206 viewsSE1blue

Christmas Markets on 15:21 - Oct 24 by King_of_Portman_Rd

I haven't been to any Christmas markets as yet.. Well I went to Riga but that wasn't particularly big so I don't really count it.. But having been to Cologne and Budapest in recent summers I would expect their Christmas markets to be pretty impressive.

I have my flights booked for Nuremberg this December which supposedly has decent markets and I can wander around the old Nazi party rally grounds etc. as well.

Nuremberg has an outstanding Christmas market and it's the best one I've been to by far.

Funny you mention Nazi party rally grounds as I went on a Christmas school trip, aged 16, to Nuremberg (for the Christmas markets etc) and my mates and I ended up getting beaten up by some nazis (who were in their early twenties).

Severely outnumbered, 10:3, we chose to run and ran into the first shop we found and asked for help. It was a florists and the woman who owned it, called her husband from the out the back and he then took us through a maze of war tunnels (the traders now use them for deliveries) under Nuremberg. We went right across town to the cathedral where he guided us to our teacher once we were back in the fresh air.

Our teacher was furious as we were really late for the meeting up time but when he saw we had a few bruises and split lips he drove us back to the youth hostel (instead of making us endure the Christmas carols in the cathedral) and gave us some beers. Great teacher care, 80s style.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Christmas Markets on 17:25 - Oct 24 with 5156 viewsfactual_blue

It's probably your penultimate opportunity before the brexit drawbridge is lifted up.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Christmas Markets on 17:39 - Oct 24 with 5139 viewsOsborneOneNil

Christmas Markets on 15:21 - Oct 24 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Nuremberg......never even considered this.
Christmas Markets on 17:42 - Oct 24 with 5134 viewsOsborneOneNil

Christmas Markets on 15:35 - Oct 24 by BerlinBlue

Berlin is good, esp as it has more than one market, all different to each other. The Gendarmenmarkt Christmas Market is one of the best there (small entry fee), the one at Schloss Charlottenburg is also very good.

Other than Berlin, you could try Dresden.

If you decide on Berlin, I could give you some pointers if you like.

Super, cheers Berlin
Christmas Markets on 17:46 - Oct 24 with 5124 viewswellsy700

Copenhagen!

NZ Blue
Poll: Who stays? Who goes?

Christmas Markets on 21:42 - Oct 24 with 5051 viewsCBBlue

We did Krakow Christmas market about 8 years ago and from what I recall it wasn't massive but big enough to spend an hour or two wandering around and had a nice Christmassy feeling. The stall selling the hot spiced alcoholic drink was our favourite...purely to warm ourselves up you understand

Krakow itself was amazingly cheap for food, drink and accomodation and although we actually only ended up there as ryanair were offering flights for next to nothing we loved it and went back the following summer.

Poll: School on Monday - are you sending in your R, Y1 or Y6 kids?

Christmas Markets on 21:50 - Oct 24 with 5034 viewsHerbivore

Been to the one in Prague and it was good, that was a decade ago before Xmas markets really became a thing so I imagine it's probably expanded since then. Prague is lovely.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Christmas Markets on 10:14 - Oct 25 with 4931 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Strasbourg is meant to be a nice one.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Christmas Markets on 10:26 - Oct 25 with 4923 viewsbluewein

Christmas Markets on 15:16 - Oct 24 by artsbossbeard

Cologne is decent.

Cheap flights with Germanwings, 1hr flight, airport 15 minute train ride away from the central station, plenty of reasonably priced hotels and some decent walking & picture taking opportunities.

Agree with this. Went a couple of years ago to cologne and it's an awesome city.

If you have the energy, make an effort to climb the cathedral. Pretty excellent sights especially when you look down and see the markets lighting the place up.

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024