Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If we lose to Sweden 16:39 - Jul 5 with 4778 viewsnoggin

It will be another massive under achievement by England. Discuss.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

If we lose to Sweden on 16:39 - Jul 5 with 3468 viewsLord_Lucan

Oi don't start you.

It's been harmonious on here today.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

If we lose to Sweden on 16:42 - Jul 5 with 3455 viewsDanFord

Not at all. Quarter Finals is about right for where this team is. It'll just be a poor result. At worst a failure to grasp an opportunity. But under-achieving would have been getting knocked out in the group. If we'd have gone out on penalties Tuesday I don't think it would have been seen as an under-achievement, so why would going a stage further and losing to a team that beat France in qualifying, finished above Holland and stopped them getting to Russia, beat Italy over two legs and stopped them getting to Russia and finished top of a group with Germany and Mexico in. Sweden are a decent side. We are a better one. It would be disappointing yes. Under-achieving no.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

If we lose to Sweden on 16:43 - Jul 5 with 3440 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is exactly how it will be reported. But will be wrong.

Next?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

If we lose to Sweden on 16:44 - Jul 5 with 3436 viewsnoggin

If we lose to Sweden on 16:39 - Jul 5 by Lord_Lucan

Oi don't start you.

It's been harmonious on here today.

But it’s bothering me.

If we lose to Sweden on 16:44 - Jul 5 with 3434 viewsclive_baker

We don’t have a great record against Sweden. Contrary to that, I hate that put forward as some sort of justification as to why we’ll struggle. I don’t see the relevance of a 1-1 draw 10 years ago. It’s like the whole ‘X team have only won once in the past 10 meetings’. Nonsense stat. Arguably the mental significance if it’s penalties vs. Germany etc could play a part but not a game against Sweden.

In answer to your question, yes. We should win on Saturday and anything less would be a disappointment.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

If we lose to Sweden on 16:45 - Jul 5 with 3422 viewsDanFord

If we lose to Sweden on 16:43 - Jul 5 by Swansea_Blue

Is exactly how it will be reported. But will be wrong.

Next?

The classic twist of making England out to be failures even when we got further than Spain, Germany, Argentina, Portugal, Holland, Italy and as far as Brazil / Belgium, France / Uruguay, because we didn't beat a very competent team that's beaten better teams than England in the last 12 months.

If we lose to Sweden on 16:46 - Jul 5 with 3414 viewsgordon

So far we've scraped a last-gasper against Tunisia, thumped a pub team, played the reserves against Belgium and lost, and then drew with Colombia. We haven't done nuffink yet.
If we lose to Sweden on 16:47 - Jul 5 with 3411 viewsunstableblue

Going out to Sweden will still make it a good world cup; as despite Panama being terrible, Tunisia offered a small test. And I think even the likes of France and Belgium would have struggle against that France side and their tactics. It was an achievement to get past them that night.

However, a win against the Swedes means we'll have had a GREAT world cup. They are hard to play against and hard to beat.

I think what we all want is a strong performance against the Swedes, we've had some good passing through the defence and midfield, and some nice interplay up front at times but a little ineffective. Set piece have been good. I think we want to really show some zip in our passing, some chances made and a number of goals from open play.

Croatia will be a different story.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Login to get fewer ads

If we lose to Sweden on 16:47 - Jul 5 with 3411 viewsTractorCam

It will be a disappointing result but not an under achievement, quarter finals was the realistic expectation. Obviously now we've been handed a great chance at making the final which will make it even more disappointing if we are to bow out, but we've met expectations with our current status and exceeded them with how we've played and results gained.

No matter what happens from here on in, the fans are well and truly engaged in the national team. For me it's the first time since about 2010, and I hope this carries on through to the nations league and euro qualifiers, Southgate has earned it.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

If we lose to Sweden on 16:48 - Jul 5 with 3406 viewsclive_baker

If we lose to Sweden on 16:46 - Jul 5 by gordon

So far we've scraped a last-gasper against Tunisia, thumped a pub team, played the reserves against Belgium and lost, and then drew with Colombia. We haven't done nuffink yet.

There was nothing ‘scraped’ about that Tunisia match. We thoroughly deserved to win, as we did against Colombia.

If we lose to Sweden on 16:48 - Jul 5 with 3401 viewsNazemariner

It would be a disappointing result and a missed opportunity. No more than that.
If we lose to Sweden on 16:49 - Jul 5 with 3395 viewsLord_Lucan

If we lose to Sweden on 16:44 - Jul 5 by noggin

But it’s bothering me.

I think that we will beat Sweden but I did say after everyone was crowing about being in that half of the draw that Sweden is just the team we could lose to. I class them as a bogey team and they are more English than the English which is a worry.

Mind you, the fact that we have played well, picked a young team, won a penalty shoot out and kept a stiff upper lip in face of provocation suggests to me that whatever happens now we will be classed as a success and will receive a great welcome home.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

If we lose to Sweden on 16:49 - Jul 5 with 3393 viewsclive_baker

If we lose to Sweden on 16:47 - Jul 5 by TractorCam

It will be a disappointing result but not an under achievement, quarter finals was the realistic expectation. Obviously now we've been handed a great chance at making the final which will make it even more disappointing if we are to bow out, but we've met expectations with our current status and exceeded them with how we've played and results gained.

No matter what happens from here on in, the fans are well and truly engaged in the national team. For me it's the first time since about 2010, and I hope this carries on through to the nations league and euro qualifiers, Southgate has earned it.

Agree with this. 1/4 is a good achievement, only 4 teams will have progressed further and we can be pretty happy with that. In isolation, we should fancy ourselves to beat Sweden though, so it would be a shame to bow out to them. Certainly won’t be easy, they’re a tidy team but I think we’ll have enough about us.

If we lose to Sweden on 16:50 - Jul 5 with 3390 viewsnoggin

If we lose to Sweden on 16:45 - Jul 5 by DanFord

The classic twist of making England out to be failures even when we got further than Spain, Germany, Argentina, Portugal, Holland, Italy and as far as Brazil / Belgium, France / Uruguay, because we didn't beat a very competent team that's beaten better teams than England in the last 12 months.

It would be a quickly forgotten world cup and with good reason.

If we lose to Sweden on 16:52 - Jul 5 with 3373 viewsmonty_radio

If we lose to Sweden on 16:44 - Jul 5 by clive_baker

We don’t have a great record against Sweden. Contrary to that, I hate that put forward as some sort of justification as to why we’ll struggle. I don’t see the relevance of a 1-1 draw 10 years ago. It’s like the whole ‘X team have only won once in the past 10 meetings’. Nonsense stat. Arguably the mental significance if it’s penalties vs. Germany etc could play a part but not a game against Sweden.

In answer to your question, yes. We should win on Saturday and anything less would be a disappointment.

"Disappointment" does not equal massive under-achievement though. Fact is, Sweden's professionalism, togetherness and resilience has regularly caused us trouble, and we're going to need that attacking prowess that was shown earlier to open them up.

Will that happen or will Scandi-noir win the dark day with its famed litter of corpses?

Whatever - things are a little better than we've come to know and expect, so here's hoping.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

If we lose to Sweden on 16:52 - Jul 5 with 3371 viewsDanFord

If we lose to Sweden on 16:46 - Jul 5 by gordon

Brazil couldn't beat a poor Switzerland team, needed injury time to beat Costa Rica, did okay against Mexico. Argentina got thumped by Croatia and failed to beat Iceland. Spain drew with Iran and got knocked out by Russia, blah blah blah. Typical English mentality to dismiss the fact we got through the group, found a way to beat a Tunisia team where we were denied two clear penalties, destroyed another team and got past a team that cheated for 90 minutes who should have been reduced to 10 men. Why can't we just be impressed with how we've got the job done. Why do we have to blow everyone away with champagne football when NOBODY else, not even teams with much greater talent than us, can do so?

If we lose to Sweden on 16:53 - Jul 5 with 3364 viewsMullet

If we lose to Sweden on 16:48 - Jul 5 by clive_baker

There was nothing ‘scraped’ about that Tunisia match. We thoroughly deserved to win, as we did against Colombia.

Well, yeah the fact we were robbed by not winning by a bigger margin seems to be lost

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

If we lose to Sweden on 16:53 - Jul 5 with 3344 viewsDanFord

If we lose to Sweden on 16:50 - Jul 5 by noggin

It would be a quickly forgotten world cup and with good reason.

The best World Cup I can remember, with some fantastic games, brilliant goals, a decent English run and a feel good factor around the country and it'll be quickly forgotten with good reason? GTFO.

When. Not if. (n/t) on 16:53 - Jul 5 with 3347 viewsSporall

If we lose to Sweden on 16:55 - Jul 5 with 3334 viewsDanFord

If we lose to Sweden on 16:53 - Jul 5 by Mullet

Well, yeah the fact we were robbed by not winning by a bigger margin seems to be lost

We could be talking about 4-1 and 6-1 wins if we'd been given the two penalties we deserved and a comfortable win against 10 man Colombia. All if's and but's but we've got the job done despite three of the worst VAR calls all tournament going against us.

If we lose to Sweden on 17:02 - Jul 5 with 3302 viewsitfcjoe

Not a massive under achievement, but a huge missed opportunity.

Losing to them will be poor, even though they are a decent side.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

If we lose to Sweden on 17:04 - Jul 5 with 3288 viewsartsbossbeard

I don't think it's the case to be fair.

I've felt disengaged from Eng-er-Land since not qualifying for USA 94 after the wonderful Italia 90 but this bunch have changed my view. If we win great! If we lose, well, that's England.

I'm actually close to flying flags from my car window

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

If we lose to Sweden on 17:07 - Jul 5 with 3274 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

If we lose to Sweden on 17:17 - Jul 5 with 3209 viewsIllinoisblue

I would agree with that. Although Sweden are decent, hard to beat and England haven't really played well yet. If Alli and Sterling can wake up and put a couple of passes together we should win.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

If we lose to Sweden on 18:33 - Jul 5 with 3065 viewsJubba1975

3 shots on target in 180 minutes, 1 of which was a penalty, not great form!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024