Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? 09:06 - Jan 3 with 8733 viewsunstableblue

The first 45mins of Saturday had us all purring... to see Town under Lambert playing the stuff we all hope for, with young players fizzing the ball around on the GROUND, being positive and expansive.

When we needed the defence to step up again - supporter by the midfield - in the second half. They failed woefully again.

We have had poor full backs for 3-4 seasons, Spence played 40 games last season, Iorfa was awful. Knudsen has been on a downward spiral for a couple of seasons, at best not getting up field or
To the byline, and worst just giving away cheap ball. Why didn’t we fix the full back issue when we were farming out Chambo in a very poor temporary role - skinned repeatedly.

Carter-Vickers and Bart papered over the cracks. And then the pole fell apart at the start of this season. For all Hursts terrible flaws he also had Bart, chambo and Knudsen errors leaking points in key early games.

It was probably Marcus fundin... but we have so neglected this part of the squad

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 09:18 - Jan 3 with 5047 viewsBlueBadger

Well, for starters, we let an incompetent midget sell our best players...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 09:28 - Jan 3 with 5016 viewslukey130490

I think we miss Skuse more than we think we miss him. At the minute, chambo is having to try and organise a poor defence, and the young midfield in front of him. Skuse would take some of that pressure off him, allowing chambers to fully focus on the defence. Under Lambert, he also seemed to read the game better than he had done before, and would probably be able to break up play a bit better.
How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 09:29 - Jan 3 with 5003 viewsJammyDodgerrr

For what it's worth, i don't think Spence was awful last season. He is not having a good season this year but last year he looked capable enough to keep an England U21 RB out of the team.

What's probably clear is just how much Bart saved us the last few seasons over anything - the goals he conceded this year he would've saved last season. Hurst has simply destroyed the guy.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 09:31 - Jan 3 with 4994 viewsGuthrum

If you can't score and every attack results in an opposition break, that places massive pressure on the defence. The odd cock-up isn't just a problem, it loses you the game.

In modern football, full-backs aren't really part of the defence anyway. They're sort of replacement wingers, more valued for their abilities going forward than protecting the goal.

I think you're wrong about Knudsen. Every time I've seen him play, he spends most of his time working with Sears up in the opposition half - which leaves him out of position to defend against breaks. It's more he isn't quite fast/alert enough to play bith roles (at least to the standard of his two predecessors).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 09:32 - Jan 3 with 4981 viewsHerbivore

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 09:29 - Jan 3 by JammyDodgerrr

For what it's worth, i don't think Spence was awful last season. He is not having a good season this year but last year he looked capable enough to keep an England U21 RB out of the team.

What's probably clear is just how much Bart saved us the last few seasons over anything - the goals he conceded this year he would've saved last season. Hurst has simply destroyed the guy.

Indeed, and nor has Knudsen been on a downward spiral for the past 2 years. He's had a bad season this season but last season was his best one here and he'd been improving year on year until the disaster of the current season.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 09:33 - Jan 3 with 4976 viewslukey130490

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 09:29 - Jan 3 by JammyDodgerrr

I think the defence not having confidence in either keeper isn't great for us too.
How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 09:39 - Jan 3 with 4965 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

You remember that boring, negative, defensive manager you spent the past 4 or so years whinging about...?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 09:51 - Jan 3 with 4931 viewsDeano69

C-V and Bart saved us 20 points last season imo

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Login to get fewer ads

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 09:54 - Jan 3 with 4922 viewsunstableblue

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 09:32 - Jan 3 by Herbivore

Indeed, and nor has Knudsen been on a downward spiral for the past 2 years. He's had a bad season this season but last season was his best one here and he'd been improving year on year until the disaster of the current season.

Oh come on Herbivore - "but last season was his best one here and he'd been improving year on year until the disaster of the current season"

That's a bit misleading - yes his passing completion stats had improved last season - but from such a low base. He's typically one of our worst passers of the ball. Bringing back pressure on defence.

People need to move out of this favourites mode and start looking at the reality of our squad and its ability especially in defence, and especially at full back.

Mick really improved us defensively when he came in, our goals against, but it was creeping up:

14-15 - 54
15-16 - 51
16-17 - 58
17-18 - 60
18-19 (to date) - 46

Our poor defence meant Mick - quite rightly - had to shackle the midfield to be less adventurous, and hence the quality of football and entertainment had become unwatchable. Marcus - then thought there was a magic bullet of the hapless Hurst - who could play 'slightly' more attacking fare but with an even cheaper squad! mental.

We need to build a long term project around Lamber, fund him in defence. Albeit it'll be a feckin lottery when Town come to Town in League 1.

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 09:57 - Jan 3 with 4897 viewsHerbivore

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 09:54 - Jan 3 by unstableblue

Oh come on Herbivore - "but last season was his best one here and he'd been improving year on year until the disaster of the current season"

That's a bit misleading - yes his passing completion stats had improved last season - but from such a low base. He's typically one of our worst passers of the ball. Bringing back pressure on defence.

People need to move out of this favourites mode and start looking at the reality of our squad and its ability especially in defence, and especially at full back.

Mick really improved us defensively when he came in, our goals against, but it was creeping up:

14-15 - 54
15-16 - 51
16-17 - 58
17-18 - 60
18-19 (to date) - 46

Our poor defence meant Mick - quite rightly - had to shackle the midfield to be less adventurous, and hence the quality of football and entertainment had become unwatchable. Marcus - then thought there was a magic bullet of the hapless Hurst - who could play 'slightly' more attacking fare but with an even cheaper squad! mental.

We need to build a long term project around Lamber, fund him in defence. Albeit it'll be a feckin lottery when Town come to Town in League 1.

Last season was clearly Knudsen's best here, it's not even debatable. He got 7 assists, rarely made mistakes. There's a reason last season saw him back in the Danish squad. As I understand it you weren't going to many games last season so it's okay to just admit you got this one wrong. This season he's been poor, no argument there, but then everyone has been poor since Hurst ruined us.

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 09:58 - Jan 3 with 4891 viewsSomethingBlue

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 09:54 - Jan 3 by unstableblue

14-15 - 54
15-16 - 51
16-17 - 58
17-18 - 60
18-19 (to date) - 46

What is the misleading bit about Knudsen?

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 10:00 - Jan 3 with 4883 viewsHerbivore

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 09:58 - Jan 3 by SomethingBlue

Apparently he wasn't better because although passing stats improved year on year and he got 7 assists he was starting from a low base. That seems to be his argument.

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 10:01 - Jan 3 with 4874 viewsMullet

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 09:58 - Jan 3 by SomethingBlue

He's been targeted by top Champ clubs, gone to the world cup, lead assists for us early last season and generally got much better, yet clearly is sh1t because errr he stuck up for Mick? Something like that?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Chortle, gafaw, chuckle, ha ha, etc. (n/t) on 10:05 - Jan 3 with 4857 viewsBloots

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 09:39 - Jan 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

You remember that boring, negative, defensive manager you spent the past 4 or so years whinging about...?

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 10:08 - Jan 3 with 4852 viewsElephantintheRoom

By accepting mediocrity. Under MM some players got old, some left. The much touted 'top talent' that was sold to finance disastrous signings were pretty average, only Waghorn was really any good and that for only one season. The rot had already set in. The other MM stalwart Bart was given a very generous contract with apparently disastrous results. None of this has helped, in defence, in midfield - or up front.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 10:13 - Jan 3 with 4829 viewsBlueBadger

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 10:08 - Jan 3 by ElephantintheRoom

By accepting mediocrity. Under MM some players got old, some left. The much touted 'top talent' that was sold to finance disastrous signings were pretty average, only Waghorn was really any good and that for only one season. The rot had already set in. The other MM stalwart Bart was given a very generous contract with apparently disastrous results. None of this has helped, in defence, in midfield - or up front.

Ah, TWTD revisionism at it's finest here.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 10:19 - Jan 3 with 4810 viewsunstableblue

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 09:57 - Jan 3 by Herbivore

Last season was clearly Knudsen's best here, it's not even debatable. He got 7 assists, rarely made mistakes. There's a reason last season saw him back in the Danish squad. As I understand it you weren't going to many games last season so it's okay to just admit you got this one wrong. This season he's been poor, no argument there, but then everyone has been poor since Hurst ruined us.

I didn't go to many games last season?! - now you're just being silly. Majority of home games and quite a few away, thank you very much. Don't give into the idiots on this board Herbivore.

But definitely agree on the assists side for Jonas. And perhaps I am just setting too high a standard; I just feel our defence last season was turning over the ball far too often. But would agree right side was worse.

This season the defence, well they just can't defend!!

Albeit I would suggest Lambert's warmth to Kenlock is as much to do with Jonas wanting away than Lambert thinking he is inferior.

Agreed (n/t) on 10:20 - Jan 3 with 4808 viewsunstableblue

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 09:51 - Jan 3 by Deano69

C-V and Bart saved us 20 points last season imo

I refer you to my earlier reply on 10:23 - Jan 3 with 4792 viewsunstableblue

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 09:39 - Jan 3 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

"Our poor defence meant Mick - QUITE RIGHTLY - had to shackle the midfield to be less adventurous, and hence the quality of football and entertainment had become unwatchable. Marcus - then thought there was a magic bullet of the hapless Hurst - who could play 'slightly' more attacking fare but with an even cheaper squad! mental. "

Are you suggesting that we haven't neglected the defence? especially right back.

I wasn't actually slating Mick at all, far from it. OPEN YOUR MIND!

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 10:24 - Jan 3 with 4780 viewsSomethingBlue

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 10:19 - Jan 3 by unstableblue

I didn't go to many games last season?! - now you're just being silly. Majority of home games and quite a few away, thank you very much. Don't give into the idiots on this board Herbivore.

But definitely agree on the assists side for Jonas. And perhaps I am just setting too high a standard; I just feel our defence last season was turning over the ball far too often. But would agree right side was worse.

Albeit I would suggest Lambert's warmth to Kenlock is as much to do with Jonas wanting away than Lambert thinking he is inferior.

Lambert is playing Kenlock because he wants to be at the club for the rest of the season and Knudsen doesn't really; that's all there is to it. As soon as Elder looks up to speed he'll take that position.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 10:26 - Jan 3 with 4761 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

14-15 - 54
15-16 - 51
16-17 - 58
17-18 - 60
18-19 (to date) - 46

Whilst strictly accurate, to say goals were creeping up is misleading - they averaged 56 across a 4 year period never deviating from within 5 of that. To me that illustrates a rather consistent defensive foundation

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 10:38 - Jan 3 with 4713 viewsHerbivore

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 10:19 - Jan 3 by unstableblue

Apologies, I thought you'd said before that you'd stopped going under Mick. My mistake.

Kenlock is in because Jonas is going this month, I have no doubt about that. I think Jonas' contract situation, not having a break over the summer with the World Cup, and our disastrous season have all led to his performances dipping. I still expect him to wind up at a club in much better shape than us though given the sides that have been interested in him previously. I just hope that Elder is decent as I'm unconvinced by Kenlock.

The defence is suffering for a number of reasons. Lack of confidence is huge, playing in the knowledge that mistakes are being made and punished breeds more mistakes. The goalkeeper situation has had an impact too no doubt, they no longer have a confident Bart behind them. And finally, whilst three of the back four remains the same as last season the one change is Pennington for CCV/Webster. He is simply a massive downgrade on those two and is making costly errors in most games. All of the factors affecting the defence as a whole are attributable to Hurst, the man was a total disaster for this club.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2019 11:15]

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 10:42 - Jan 3 with 4694 views44_not_out

I understand all the debate about the defence, and agree with some points. However, it can be argued that defence starts at the front. My point being, if Sears takes the two golden chances in the first half, we go 3-0 up and it’s game over.

Sadly, we couldn’t convert the dominance we had into goals. This then puts added pressure on the defence and midfield and we know what happens next.

Take your chances and the game changes.
How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 10:44 - Jan 3 with 4686 viewsHerbivore

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 10:42 - Jan 3 by 44_not_out

I understand all the debate about the defence, and agree with some points. However, it can be argued that defence starts at the front. My point being, if Sears takes the two golden chances in the first half, we go 3-0 up and it’s game over.

Sadly, we couldn’t convert the dominance we had into goals. This then puts added pressure on the defence and midfield and we know what happens next.

Take your chances and the game changes.

This is, of course, a very good point. If we'd been 2 or 3 up at half time the complexion of the game changes completely and the defence have a bit less pressure on them than they do at 1-0.

How did we let the defensive part of our squad get so bad? on 11:13 - Jan 3 with 4590 viewsNo9

The simple answer to your question is that Bart was the Towns POTY for 3 seasons which disguised the fact the defence was neglected & seriously under par.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024