Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) 06:47 - Mar 8 with 10102 viewsdominiciawful

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 07:50 - Mar 8 with 4286 viewsOxford_Blue

Ipswich v Oxford 1986.

Remember Atkins’ free kick. I was six.
What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 08:38 - Mar 8 with 4257 viewsScuzzer

Taking to the field in 1968 after finishing the season being promoted to the First Division.

Established 1968

What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 08:41 - Mar 8 with 4255 viewsDeano69

A school trip in 1976 to PR, stadium tour and visit the gift shop.

Couple of years after, we used to head there for half time as they used to let us in then for free.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 08:49 - Mar 8 with 4234 viewsRonFearonsHair

Before I ever went anywhere near the ground, my primary school headteacher telling us that she had recently moved house and one of the rooms was painted yellow and green. So the first job before moving in was to paint it blue and white. Also being told that the FC in the team badge stood for football club.

Was a good curriculum in those days.
What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 08:55 - Mar 8 with 4219 viewsblueconscience

When carrying my milk crate, asking my dad why there were lot’s of ladies standing along the road after the game.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 08:56 - Mar 8 with 4215 viewsPJH

Seeing Jack Parry play in goal in a red jumper against Plymouth Argyle who played in green.

I do not know if it was first team or reserves, it could have been either, but it would be in 1954 or 1955 when I was 3 or 4.
What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 09:07 - Mar 8 with 4187 viewsGeoffSentence

Watching part of a game from the top of a car park. Vs Spurs in the very early 70's David Best was in goal, and I could only see the part of the game when Spurs were on the attack by Town's penalty area.

It didn't grip me and ir was a little while later before I got hooked.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 09:08 - Mar 8 with 4181 viewsPecker

1978 F.A. Cup final win over Arsenal. I was 6. (glory supporter)
Login to get fewer ads

What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 09:09 - Mar 8 with 4177 viewsblueislander

What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 08:56 - Mar 8 by PJH

Seeing Jack Parry play in goal in a red jumper against Plymouth Argyle who played in green.

I do not know if it was first team or reserves, it could have been either, but it would be in 1954 or 1955 when I was 3 or 4.

I somehow got lost in Churchmans in 1953 . My father would deposit me at the front ,and go and stand with his mates. The St.John’s Ambulance people took me to their room, and my name was announced over the tannoy. My Dad was not best pleased.
What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 09:16 - Mar 8 with 4158 viewsColchesterBlue1985

Gavin peacock scoring for Newcastle around 92 at Portman road, one a great turn and strike from 18 yards the other a one on one and great chip over Forrest.
What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 09:18 - Mar 8 with 4153 viewsdaisyisabaddog

August 1972. A 2-1 defeat
What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 09:20 - Mar 8 with 4149 viewsFtnfwest

Around the time of the beats debut via tv, which is the earliest specific memory. Around the same time my dislike of Norwich also started (hated Kevin keelan and his silly posing after goal kicks!)
What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 09:31 - Mar 8 with 4129 viewsWeWereZombies

I thought my first visit to Portman Road was going to be a Second Division match against Charlton but I had misunderstood the fixture list (even at nine years old I should not have got that wrong) so I actually saw a Combination match against Portsmouth. On the plus side the game ended 5-5.

[edit] I wasn't nine thinking back on this, must have been twelve or thereabouts.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 16:35]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 09:35 - Mar 8 with 4123 viewsPippin1970

When we won a game
What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 09:37 - Mar 8 with 4115 viewsAce_High1

I had been to a few games the season before, but clearest memory when I think about this is the game where Marlon Harewood (who we had on loan) hit the post from about 4 years out? 1997 I think it was?
What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 09:39 - Mar 8 with 4110 viewsSteve_M

The open-top bus though town after the UEFA Cup win.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 09:43 - Mar 8 with 4104 viewsfabian_illness

I remember my Mum and Nan putting up bunting and flags on the front of our little house down Beaconsfield Rd for the FA cup final in 78.
Got a photo of me as a 4 year old standing out the front.
What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 09:47 - Mar 8 with 4099 viewsBlueastheycome

Ipswich 2- Sheffield United 2 in Nov 1997

Just google’d it and there was only 9k at PR that day!
What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 09:51 - Mar 8 with 4089 viewsbobbyramsey

What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 08:38 - Mar 8 by Scuzzer

Taking to the field in 1968 after finishing the season being promoted to the First Division.

Same, Blackburn, Blackpool? Can't remember now. I know Crawford scored in front of the North, place went ballistic.....
What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 10:03 - Mar 8 with 4072 viewspatrickswell

March 26 1983 - I’ve travelled up to Paddington from Truro with my Mum to visit relatives in Hertfordshire, my 7th birthday is imminent. We’re met at the station by my uncle Dennis and cousin Tracey. We’re not staying with them but they’re dropping us to another set of relatives. Tracey’s several years older than me and we chat away on the journey. At one point, she asks me whether Ilike football and when I say yes she asks who my favourite team is. I realise that I don’t have one, but as today is a Saturday and I know that the football results won’t have been confirmed yet, I will pick one today.

We arrive at Auntie Mary’s and after a respectful time for hellos and chat, I ask if I can watch the telly. I put on World of Sport because I know that it’s nearly time for the wrestling, but ahead of that, Dickie Davies is reading the half time scores. I can’t see Liverpool or Manchester United on the board, which is fine because everyone already supports them and I think that I want to choose a team that’s “mine”. They were playing each other in the League Cup final in one of its last years as a Saturday fixture. I look down the list of half-time scores in the first division and something about the word Ipswich catches my eye. I like the sound and look of it, and I have vague recognition that they had been good in the recent past. They’re drawing 0-0 at Manchester City according to the half-times and I decide that if they win the match, I will support them.
After the wrestling, I’m back for the full-time scores. And there it is, caught for posterity and now fixed and immovable within my life:

Manchester City 0 Ipswich Town 1

A few months ago, I was astonished to find this on the Internet: https://www.citytilidie.com/latest/ipswich-home-198283/
[Post edited 8 Mar 2020 10:06]
What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 10:03 - Mar 8 with 4072 viewsbrazil1982

When the gates were opened about 20 minutes before the end (remember that?) - me and my Dad went in the Portman lower, circa 1981.
What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 10:11 - Mar 8 with 4051 viewsbackinbeige

I’m 34, born in 1985. My dad eased me in to live football be taking me to a pre season friendly vs Southend at Roots Hall some time in the early/mid 90s, probably thinking it would be calmer and less passionate. We wore our red away Fisons kit, Micky Stockwell and John Wark were amongst the starters.

RVRB: https://app.rvrb.one/channels/have-guitar-will-listen - Listen to music when WFH, set your own music to DJ and find new recommendations from others

What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 10:12 - Mar 8 with 4051 viewsWarkystache

Being patted on the head by The Beat (he had a mullet and tinted sunglasses on) following a dramatic 1-1 draw for my school team away at Orwell Park school in the Eastern Schools Cup 1983. I hadn't scored but I did do a really hard tackle on their centre forward, who'd kicked me all game slyly, like a rich cheating little prick. I suspect I'd have been sent off for it today. It was studs up and at least knee height.

We won the replay at our place 3-2 after coming back from 2-0 down in the last fifteen minutes. The Beat said, after the Orwell Park game "Well done lads, yer played well there", even though my dad said he'd been supporting Orwell Park.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 10:25 - Mar 8 with 4026 viewsHARRY10

What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 10:12 - Mar 8 by Warkystache

Being patted on the head by The Beat (he had a mullet and tinted sunglasses on) following a dramatic 1-1 draw for my school team away at Orwell Park school in the Eastern Schools Cup 1983. I hadn't scored but I did do a really hard tackle on their centre forward, who'd kicked me all game slyly, like a rich cheating little prick. I suspect I'd have been sent off for it today. It was studs up and at least knee height.

We won the replay at our place 3-2 after coming back from 2-0 down in the last fifteen minutes. The Beat said, after the Orwell Park game "Well done lads, yer played well there", even though my dad said he'd been supporting Orwell Park.

Watching, and waiting, for our result to come up on the 'teleprinter' on the BBC.

My dads could never understand why the job had been given to a man with a stutter.
What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 10:30 - Mar 8 with 4021 viewsEastTownBlue

What's your earliest Ipswich Town memory? (n/t) on 09:39 - Mar 8 by Steve_M

The open-top bus though town after the UEFA Cup win.

Likewise. I can remember standing by the bus stop at the top of Civic Drive near the St Mathew's Street roundabout.

Pity I was too young to understand the significace of it all.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024