Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fruit picking stat 16:15 - Apr 28 with 1624 viewsMullet

This can't be right surely? I wonder what this will do to shopping as this progresses if it's in any way indicative of supply chains and employment.

She's an author not a journo as I'd assumed which makes it even more bizarre to put out there if unverified.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2020 16:16]

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Fruit picking stat on 16:22 - Apr 28 with 1358 viewsmonytowbray

It’s almost as if Brexit was based almost entirely on lies and racist boll0cks or something.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Fruit picking stat on 16:42 - Apr 28 with 1311 viewsfactual_blue

It's been on the BBC, so it's true.

(Unless of course you're one of the 'the BBC is Marxist organisation' crackpots)

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Fruit picking stat on 16:44 - Apr 28 with 1306 viewsMullet

Fruit picking stat on 16:22 - Apr 28 by monytowbray

It’s almost as if Brexit was based almost entirely on lies and racist boll0cks or something.

Maybe, but harvesting is a skill and if you're untrained getting up to speed makes you pretty useless to farmers.

It makes the whole idea of a sort of "dig for victory" volunteer force look a bit of a silly fantasy. But when people are losing work and businesses you'd have thought this would have been a great drive to get some PR and positivity flowing.

Fruit picking stat on 16:46 - Apr 28 with 1288 viewsfactual_blue

Fruit picking stat on 16:44 - Apr 28 by Mullet

Maybe, but harvesting is a skill and if you're untrained getting up to speed makes you pretty useless to farmers.

It makes the whole idea of a sort of "dig for victory" volunteer force look a bit of a silly fantasy. But when people are losing work and businesses you'd have thought this would have been a great drive to get some PR and positivity flowing.

J2 has said in the past he's more than happy to harvest fruit as a career choice.

So that's one hundred and eleven still to account for.

Fruit picking stat on 16:47 - Apr 28 with 1282 viewsgiant_stow

If I lived in the country, I'd have been up for this, although when I mention it to mates they all, without fail, laughed at the thought. very tough work apparently, but surely people in the sticks would be up for earning a few quid?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Fruit picking stat on 16:49 - Apr 28 with 1275 viewsDarth_Koont

Wouldn't surprise me. It's far too tough and low paid a job for almost all Brits.

Remember trying to earn some extra money as a picker when I was 11. Took me about 4 hours to pick enough blackcurrants to fill a bucket. The pay was 70p a bucket ... that was nearly 40 years ago but still.

Pronouns: He/Him

Fruit picking stat on 16:52 - Apr 28 with 1253 viewsjeera

Fruit picking stat on 16:47 - Apr 28 by giant_stow

If I lived in the country, I'd have been up for this, although when I mention it to mates they all, without fail, laughed at the thought. very tough work apparently, but surely people in the sticks would be up for earning a few quid?

London is in the country mate.

I know you city types like to think you're a different gravy but you're still in the UK.

Now go and get your hands dirty.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Fruit picking stat on 16:52 - Apr 28 with 1257 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Fruit picking stat on 16:49 - Apr 28 by Darth_Koont

Wouldn't surprise me. It's far too tough and low paid a job for almost all Brits.

Remember trying to earn some extra money as a picker when I was 11. Took me about 4 hours to pick enough blackcurrants to fill a bucket. The pay was 70p a bucket ... that was nearly 40 years ago but still.

It is, but I would be prepared to do it.

But I am already at work and even if I wasn't, I wouldn't be prepared to move to Lincolnshire to do it right now.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Fruit picking stat on 16:53 - Apr 28 with 1244 viewsMullet

Fruit picking stat on 16:49 - Apr 28 by Darth_Koont

Yeah it's not easy, but what manual labour is? But this suggests people not even following up on their enquiry which is even odder. I'd believe it if that many people were left after a week or something.

Fruit picking stat on 16:57 - Apr 28 with 1226 viewsDarth_Koont

Fruit picking stat on 16:53 - Apr 28 by Mullet

Yeah it's not easy, but what manual labour is? But this suggests people not even following up on their enquiry which is even odder. I'd believe it if that many people were left after a week or something.

Labouring was a walk in the park in comparison. I actually enjoyed doing that. Kitchen and warehouse work wasn't too bad either.

Fruitpicking was the hardest and the worst paid without a doubt.

Edit: Forgot about the bins. Must have suppressed that memory. That was a nightmare because we were a skeleton crew working the two hottest weeks of the year and pretty much running behind the truck. Before wheelie bins too.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2020 16:59]

Fruit picking stat on 17:02 - Apr 28 with 1209 viewsmonytowbray

I had a boss who was 10 years my senior who said in his younger university drop out stoner years him and a mate decided to give it a go as they needed some cash.

He told me most get paid based on how much they pick and you have to be FAST and work your arse off to make it even remotely worth the money. It's not just a nice chilled doddle in the sun.

He also said those with experience doing it know exactly where to go in the fields for the best picking rates and it's survival of the fittest, if you are slack others will think nothing of going off to take from your unofficial patch when they're done.

He said they did it for around 3 hours, realised they'd made around £3 each and decided to sack it off to walk home.

So long story short, yes, you are correct.

This has been a gripe of mine about "low skilled" work for most my life since I did similar jobs as a teen and in my early adult years. All these middle managers and CEOs on good salaries wouldn't last 5 minutes in a fast food kitchen during lunchtime rush or in a manual labour job carrying heavy stuff up ladders in the freezing cold. It may not be rocket science but it takes more skill and grit than folk give credit for. And on that note, that's why we should pay anyone working enough to live within a basic comfort zone.

Job titles and salaries really don't mean jack sh1t more beyond the fact you're good at climbing the political ladder of a career. In fact I've encountered many who are great at BSing their way up the ladder and little else, whilst in reality being utterly inept at their actual job.

/rant
[Post edited 28 Apr 2020 17:07]

TWTD never forgets…

Fruit picking stat on 17:08 - Apr 28 with 1186 viewsNewcyBlue

If you voted for Brexit, fruit and veg picking should be mandatory.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Fruit picking stat on 17:10 - Apr 28 with 1171 viewsmonytowbray

Fruit picking stat on 17:08 - Apr 28 by NewcyBlue

If you voted for Brexit, fruit and veg picking should be mandatory.

I was a fan of a system where if you voted for it you get to reap both the benefits and consequences on behalf of those who voted against it. If wages go up and goods prices go down, the remainers see none of it, but if tax rates and goods go up the leavers can pay double and offset the cost for remainers.

I mean, surely if it's going to be THAT great you should but your money where your mouth is and take that gamble? I'm up for it.

TWTD never forgets…

Fruit picking stat on 17:10 - Apr 28 with 1166 viewsBlueBadger

Fruit picking stat on 16:42 - Apr 28 by factual_blue

It's been on the BBC, so it's true.

(Unless of course you're one of the 'the BBC is Marxist organisation' crackpots)

What if you're one of the 'the BBC is a right wing propaganda channel' crackpots?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Fruit picking stat on 17:16 - Apr 28 with 1151 viewsDarth_Koont

Fruit picking stat on 17:10 - Apr 28 by BlueBadger

What if you're one of the 'the BBC is a right wing propaganda channel' crackpots?

I'm a "BBC is just a bit crap" loon.

Fruit picking stat on 17:22 - Apr 28 with 1135 viewsNewcyBlue

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/17/laid-off-pick-fruit-season

This was an interesting read...

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Fruit picking stat on 17:28 - Apr 28 with 1107 viewseireblue

Yep.There was a farmer on Radio4 farming today, mentioning a couple of things.

He has about 70% retention of people that come from Eastern Europe year on year. So he had a reliable and reasonably consistent workforce.
Training is required.

Training takes time, since pickers will be around farm machinery.

He can’t afford to train people that will not stay around for the entire picking season.
Fruit picking stat on 17:30 - Apr 28 with 1092 viewsfactual_blue

Fruit picking stat on 17:10 - Apr 28 by BlueBadger

Then you'll consider Panorama didn't go far enough.

Fruit picking stat on 17:32 - Apr 28 with 1070 viewsfactual_blue

Fruit picking stat on 17:16 - Apr 28 by Darth_Koont

I'm a "BBC is just a bit crap" loon.

I'm a 'the BBC is a great institution being seriously underfunded by a government that doesn't like the way it speaks truth unto power' loon.

Fruit picking stat on 17:51 - Apr 28 with 1038 viewsfactual_blue

A now deceased relative by marriage (a fairly distant relative - my cousin's ex-mother-in-law), and who lived in Stanton, was such an adept fruit picker that the local farmers used to bid for her services. This was in less mechanised days of course.

Fruit picking stat on 17:54 - Apr 28 with 1037 viewsDarth_Koont

Fruit picking stat on 17:32 - Apr 28 by factual_blue

I'm a 'the BBC is a great institution being seriously underfunded by a government that doesn't like the way it speaks truth unto power' loon.

That's exactly what it tries to avoid doing.

Yesterday's Panorama is like Piers Morgan seeing the light - a good step towards journalistic credibility but from a pretty poor starting position. It's taken a global pandemic for the BBC and other media to get their heads out of their @rses.

Fruit picking stat on 17:55 - Apr 28 with 1031 viewsfactual_blue

Fruit picking stat on 16:47 - Apr 28 by giant_stow

Do the extra fingers help or hinder fruit picking?

Fruit picking stat on 18:18 - Apr 28 with 976 viewsstrikalite

I doubt that's right, more like 50,000 joined an agency but only 112 wanted work picking fruit and veg...
Fruit picking stat on 19:51 - Apr 28 with 897 viewsmonytowbray

Fruit picking stat on 17:55 - Apr 28 by factual_blue

Do the extra fingers help or hinder fruit picking?

No but the regular fingering of close siblings helps with their picking technique.

TWTD never forgets…

Fruit picking stat on 22:58 - Apr 28 with 804 viewsLord_Lucan

It's virtually impossible for well fed namby pamby western Europeans to do this work.

We aren't desperate enough.

Harsh but true.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2020 22:58]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024