Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers 18:11 - May 3 with 6913 viewsbluelagos

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52501417

So the stats in the attached are

Accepters 48%
Struggling but obeying 44%
Resistant 9%

Where do you sit and why? Do you accept the govt line, or have you made up your own mind? Or is the threat of a fine enough for you to comply? Or is the social pressue to conform impacting you?

I'd say I am a reluctant accepter, following the advice as I believe it is correct, rather than because I worry about a fine...

You?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 18:19 - May 3 with 3430 viewsSwansea_Blue

Happy accepter here. I can still work and so put food on the table, we can go out for exercise and essential shopping, what's the problem? Sure, I'd like a nice holiday exploring (we were thinking of an eastern Europe/former Soviet States adventure this year, after our interrailing success last year and partly inspired by Race Across the World series 1. But it can wait, it'll still be there).

I must admit though, we're exceedingly lucky as our exercise is around Gower. I'm sure this experience is much more grim for a family stuck on an inner city estate somewhere.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 18:20 - May 3 with 3424 viewsfactual_blue

That's 101%.

You forgot the accountant's mantra.*

*Totals may not add up due to rounding.

Oh, and delighted accepter. I'm more than happy for the dreadful younger people to be kept out of my way. And queuing for the supermarket should remain, especially at Waitrose.
[Post edited 3 May 2020 18:21]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 18:22 - May 3 with 3416 viewsbluelagos

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 18:20 - May 3 by factual_blue

That's 101%.

You forgot the accountant's mantra.*

*Totals may not add up due to rounding.

Oh, and delighted accepter. I'm more than happy for the dreadful younger people to be kept out of my way. And queuing for the supermarket should remain, especially at Waitrose.
[Post edited 3 May 2020 18:21]

You've not read the link have you Factors. Tut.

Another one I remember from my time accounting is not to shoot the messenger :-)

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 18:25 - May 3 with 3408 viewsSarge

Following the advice, for the benefit of others, even though I think it’s wrong
Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 18:28 - May 3 with 3398 viewsbluelagos

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 18:25 - May 3 by Sarge

Following the advice, for the benefit of others, even though I think it’s wrong

Seems a bit contradictory? You think the lockdown protects others but is too high price?

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 18:33 - May 3 with 3389 viewsSarge

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 18:28 - May 3 by bluelagos

Seems a bit contradictory? You think the lockdown protects others but is too high price?

I think it protects others but I think most people don’t need protecting. I think the most vulnerable should stay home and the rest of the world be opened up more (but not fully) to those willing to take the ‘risk’. However, since the vulnerable and those scared of catching it are still both going out in public for essential reasons, it would be irresponsible of me to increase my chances of potentially exposing them. However on the flip side I can think of many things I’m not currently allowed to do despite them posing no risk to anybody.

It might not make much sense because I’m struggling to articulate exactly how I feel.
Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 18:58 - May 3 with 3340 viewsDebsyAngel

Struggling but obeying. I only go out once a week to town to get essential shopping that my husband cannot get in local stores, and twice a month for an hours' walk in place of walking to see my parents. It's the Saturdays that I am really finding the most hard, as would have been football, nights out to the pub or a day out somewhere. I am feeling more tired and depressed and the slightest job is making me out of breath.
Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 18:59 - May 3 with 3330 viewsbluelagos

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 18:33 - May 3 by Sarge

I think it protects others but I think most people don’t need protecting. I think the most vulnerable should stay home and the rest of the world be opened up more (but not fully) to those willing to take the ‘risk’. However, since the vulnerable and those scared of catching it are still both going out in public for essential reasons, it would be irresponsible of me to increase my chances of potentially exposing them. However on the flip side I can think of many things I’m not currently allowed to do despite them posing no risk to anybody.

It might not make much sense because I’m struggling to articulate exactly how I feel.

Can relate a lot to that. When i saw a couple of oldies in the shop the other day I thought of all the people staying home to protect them. But then I genuinely think if I was 75 odd I'd think fck it, not got long left, why stop in?

Login to get fewer ads

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 19:00 - May 3 with 3332 viewsNewcyBlue

I have taken both cars for blasts down the A1 for 20 minutes and back again once a week.

Just to keep the DPF clean. It’s essential car maintenance.

Otherwise, I broke the rules yesterday to go see a friend of mine who is going to die any day now due to cancer. He’s practically family and told his twin sister that he wanted to see me. He and I ran riot all over the world on ships together.

She messaged today to say his breathing has slowed down and he’s been sleeping since yesterday afternoon.

I’m going to miss him. Seb thinks he’s the dogs bollox.

Otherwise the lockdown hasn’t been too different for me.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 19:07 - May 3 with 3311 viewsJ2BLUE

Struggling but obeying.

Finding it increasingly difficult and fantasising about minor things like driving through for a Costa* and the return of live behind closed doors sport.

I accept we won't be 'free' for a long time. Fair enough, but i'd like these little perks IF the people doing the jobs can do them safely.

I'd also like to be able to see family, even if it's only in the garden. That's my short wishlist IF pressure on NHS has eased enough and the workers can be protected.

*No I was not one of those queued back to the Sainsburys roundabout yesterday as Costa reopened. I won't be going until a few days after non essential workers are officially allowed to as it will be mayhem.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 19:07 - May 3 with 3310 viewsbluelagos

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 18:58 - May 3 by DebsyAngel

Struggling but obeying. I only go out once a week to town to get essential shopping that my husband cannot get in local stores, and twice a month for an hours' walk in place of walking to see my parents. It's the Saturdays that I am really finding the most hard, as would have been football, nights out to the pub or a day out somewhere. I am feeling more tired and depressed and the slightest job is making me out of breath.

You wont be alone if struggling with your mental health Debsy. Exercise, fresh air, limit social media, mindfulness all come highly recommended if possible.

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 19:10 - May 3 with 3305 viewsbluelagos

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 19:00 - May 3 by NewcyBlue

I have taken both cars for blasts down the A1 for 20 minutes and back again once a week.

Otherwise, I broke the rules yesterday to go see a friend of mine who is going to die any day now due to cancer. He’s practically family and told his twin sister that he wanted to see me. He and I ran riot all over the world on ships together.

She messaged today to say his breathing has slowed down and he’s been sleeping since yesterday afternoon.

That sounds rough mate. One of the worst aspects of all this is people dieing alone and limited numbers at funerals.

Families having to choose which 1 person can spend a few precious minutes with a loved one, horrible, horrible stuff.

Message me if u need a chat.

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 19:11 - May 3 with 3298 viewsSwansea_Blue

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 18:33 - May 3 by Sarge

We've had a colleague die who was 51, no underlying conditions. There have been significant numbers of deaths in the over 40s too (granted, not at the level of those who are older). My brother-in-law was very seriously ill for 3 weeks, he's not 40 yet.

That's colouring my view, so I don't buy into the often heard view that the vulnerable are only those who are very old or have pre-existing conditions. It doesn't. The risk is lower for younger people, but it's still there. Anyone's vulnerable, so that then presents a bit of a challenge when it comes to lifting the lockdown.

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 19:18 - May 3 with 3284 viewsNewcyBlue

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 19:10 - May 3 by bluelagos

That sounds rough mate. One of the worst aspects of all this is people dieing alone and limited numbers at funerals.

Families having to choose which 1 person can spend a few precious minutes with a loved one, horrible, horrible stuff.

Message me if u need a chat.

Cheers.

He’s with his sister and her husband. They’ve taken such good care of him, apart from washing his mobile phone in the washing machine a couple of weeks back!

Even yesterday morning he was just trying to make jokes and laugh. His nurses came round and made some adjustments to his morphine pump. Hopefully that means it’s properly painless for him.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 19:21 - May 3 with 3277 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like he'll be missed

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 19:23 - May 3 with 3275 viewsbluelagos

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 19:11 - May 3 by Swansea_Blue

We've had a colleague die who was 51, no underlying conditions. There have been significant numbers of deaths in the over 40s too (granted, not at the level of those who are older). My brother-in-law was very seriously ill for 3 weeks, he's not 40 yet.

That's colouring my view, so I don't buy into the often heard view that the vulnerable are only those who are very old or have pre-existing conditions. It doesn't. The risk is lower for younger people, but it's still there. Anyone's vulnerable, so that then presents a bit of a challenge when it comes to lifting the lockdown.

There are 2 aspects for me. The risk I get ill, and the risk I might infect others. The first one, I would happily take the risks. Less than 1% chance of death or live in a prison for a year (if it takes that long). I'd take the risk, no worries.

But the risk of spreading it is real and that is down to us to be responsible until the risks are down to an acceptable level. That's where my head is at.

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 19:33 - May 3 with 3252 viewsEwan_Oozami

At various points during lockdown I have probably been all three!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 19:40 - May 3 with 3245 viewsNotSure

I think this has been a magnificent propaganda campaign by the government.
Really good 3 part slogan that people can remember.

I was acceptant for the first month but we are not complying anymore.
I wouldn’t call us resistant as we aren’t deliberately floughting the rules.
Happy to accept visitors, going out when I want and not bothered about being 2 metres away when I walk past people. You know, bit like Sweden.

But those percentages quoted will change very quickly as soon as the government change their advertising campaign.
Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 19:42 - May 3 with 3240 viewsLeoMuff

Mostly accepting with some rule bending eg a bike ride for me and a walk with toddlers later, so technically x 2 exercises per day.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 19:49 - May 3 with 3229 viewsAce_High1

Accepting but want to get back to some normality as soon as we can.

I can quite easily (luckily) self isolate, live on my own, can run my business from home, have a garden to get outside etc.

The biggest thing that plays on my mind is not knowing the end point. Summer is my favourite time of the year and seeing events that I had planned come and go is a little depressing.

Love to travel as well which is a big concern.
Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 19:53 - May 3 with 3215 viewsbluelagos

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 19:49 - May 3 by Ace_High1

Accepting but want to get back to some normality as soon as we can.

I can quite easily (luckily) self isolate, live on my own, can run my business from home, have a garden to get outside etc.

The biggest thing that plays on my mind is not knowing the end point. Summer is my favourite time of the year and seeing events that I had planned come and go is a little depressing.

Love to travel as well which is a big concern.

Have written off 2 June breaks I had planned. Clinging to the hope of September breaks atm.

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 19:54 - May 3 with 3209 viewsSarge

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 19:11 - May 3 by Swansea_Blue

Agree. I’m mid 20s so although the risk to me is not zero it’s considerably lower than most hence my view that I’m really only in ‘lockdown’ for the benefit of others.
Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 20:02 - May 3 with 3185 viewsSarge

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 19:53 - May 3 by bluelagos

Have written off 2 June breaks I had planned. Clinging to the hope of September breaks atm.

I had a motorcycling trip around the NC500 and a football tournament in Portugal called off in June. I’ve still got a center parcs break with my family at the end of June on the cards but I don’t have high hopes. It’s the one I’ve been looking forward to most of the three so if I lose that as well I’ll be gutted.
Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 20:05 - May 3 with 3172 viewsbluelagos

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 20:02 - May 3 by Sarge

I had a motorcycling trip around the NC500 and a football tournament in Portugal called off in June. I’ve still got a center parcs break with my family at the end of June on the cards but I don’t have high hopes. It’s the one I’ve been looking forward to most of the three so if I lose that as well I’ll be gutted.

You were looking forward more to a centre parcs trip than biking the NC500?

You need to wash yer mouth out Sarge.

Lockdown acceptors / struggling obeyers on 20:39 - May 3 with 3137 viewsPendejo

Keeping the DPF clean, I haven't got a motorway since driving home from work on the day I was furloughed, but have been driving delivering food. I think I need a blast on a motorway.

Sorry about your pal, am expecting similarly bad news about a colleague of mine.

I guess I'm an acceptor, but as I have been out and about doing voluntary work...

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024