Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
the public had “shown our appreciation” 18:00 - May 22 with 3361 viewsLibero

and now it was up to the ministers to reward key workers

I make her right.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52773032
[Post edited 22 May 2020 18:03]
the public had “shown our appreciation” and now it was up to the ministers on 18:02 - May 22 with 3332 viewsJ2BLUE

Agreed.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

the public had “shown our appreciation” and now it was up to the ministers on 18:07 - May 22 with 3300 viewsLibero

the public had “shown our appreciation” and now it was up to the ministers on 18:02 - May 22 by J2BLUE

Agreed.

Nice to see her smashing it firmly back into the governments court, we really cannot allow those whole hold the most important roles in our society to continue to be disrespected, under paid and under valued.

Ten’s a nice round number, time to draw a line.
[Post edited 22 May 2020 18:08]
the public had “shown our appreciation” on 18:19 - May 22 with 3254 viewsLankHenners

"The government has said it is considering how best to do so."

Well there's one pretty glaring solution they should be able to think of.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

the public had “shown our appreciation” on 18:23 - May 22 with 3228 viewsShawsey

Without the working classes, society as we know it, doesn't exist. Time for real change.
the public had “shown our appreciation” on 18:28 - May 22 with 3220 viewsfooters

It went on for ages last night.

To be honest, I find the whole thing quite distasteful so haven't participated in any of it. It's a smokescreen for the government and a completely hollow gesture as it stands. It's the equivalent of changing your Facebook profile picture.

Great that she's come out and said this, exactly what needs to happen.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

the public had “shown our appreciation” on 18:39 - May 22 with 3168 viewsLibero

the public had “shown our appreciation” on 18:28 - May 22 by footers

To be honest, I find the whole thing quite distasteful so haven't participated in any of it. It's a smokescreen for the government and a completely hollow gesture as it stands. It's the equivalent of changing your Facebook profile picture.

I think it’s a lovely sentiment and that everyone doing it is doing it with the absolute best of intentions, I just can’t escape the weird juxtaposition that most of those around us clapping for our key workers actively selected a government who treats them with such disdain.
[Post edited 22 May 2020 18:40]
the public had “shown our appreciation” on 18:42 - May 22 with 3155 viewsDubtractor

the public had “shown our appreciation” on 18:39 - May 22 by Libero

I think it’s a lovely sentiment and that everyone doing it is doing it with the absolute best of intentions, I just can’t escape the weird juxtaposition that most of those around us clapping for our key workers actively selected a government who treats them with such disdain.
[Post edited 22 May 2020 18:40]

Yep. Feels oddly awkward because of that. Particularly with the usual weekly footage of boris getting some positive pr out if it.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

the public had “shown our appreciation” on 18:47 - May 22 with 3141 viewsJ2BLUE

the public had “shown our appreciation” on 18:28 - May 22 by footers

Completely agree. I know i'm a miserable git but I can't stand these pointless things which achieve nothing. It would be better if people just donated a tenner to the NHS charity.

Truly impaired.

Login to get fewer ads

the public had “shown our appreciation” on 18:58 - May 22 with 3091 viewsBlueBadger

the public had “shown our appreciation” on 18:47 - May 22 by J2BLUE

Completely agree. I know i'm a miserable git but I can't stand these pointless things which achieve nothing. It would be better if people just donated a tenner to the NHS charity.

Or stopped voting Tory and started paying their taxes.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

the public had “shown our appreciation” and now it was up to the ministers on 19:19 - May 22 with 3038 viewsSwansea_Blue

the public had “shown our appreciation” and now it was up to the ministers on 18:02 - May 22 by J2BLUE

Agreed.

^ doesn't clap, stone him. I bet you don't cover every square inch of wherever you live with poppies in November either do you, ya traitor!

There was a perfectly reasonable point of view on this from a consultant in the left bumfest paper today. https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/may/21/nhs-doctor-enough-people-clappin

And as most of us have said on here form the start, I'm sure the appreciation is welcome but they'd MUCH rather we stayed safe to make their jobs easier and be appreciated by receiving sufficient support and recognition from their employer.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

the public had “shown our appreciation” on 19:30 - May 22 with 3009 viewsBlueBadger

We should replace it with 'boo for Boris'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

the public had “shown our appreciation” and now it was up to the ministers on 19:33 - May 22 with 2992 viewsTractorWood

the public had “shown our appreciation” and now it was up to the ministers on 19:19 - May 22 by Swansea_Blue

^ doesn't clap, stone him. I bet you don't cover every square inch of wherever you live with poppies in November either do you, ya traitor!

There was a perfectly reasonable point of view on this from a consultant in the left bumfest paper today. https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/may/21/nhs-doctor-enough-people-clappin

And as most of us have said on here form the start, I'm sure the appreciation is welcome but they'd MUCH rather we stayed safe to make their jobs easier and be appreciated by receiving sufficient support and recognition from their employer.

I saw this article the other day and thought it was outstandingly on point.

Clapping outside for key workers is nice but it's as effective as booing the moon when England go out of the world cup. People should focus their passion on holding the Government to account.

An already depleted public sector wouldn't have needed to have been worked to the bone and the economy ruined if we locked down 2 weeks earlier when everyone was saying lockdown the country.

Make Amazon et al pay tax and don't vote for a Government that runs the country on 75% of bare minimum.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

the public had “shown our appreciation” on 19:40 - May 22 with 2971 viewsJ2BLUE

the public had “shown our appreciation” on 18:58 - May 22 by BlueBadger

Or stopped voting Tory and started paying their taxes.

Yep

Truly impaired.

the public had “shown our appreciation” on 21:40 - May 22 with 2856 viewsfactual_blue

the public had “shown our appreciation” on 19:30 - May 22 by BlueBadger

We should replace it with 'boo for Boris'.

How about 'poo on boris'?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

the public had “shown our appreciation” on 07:14 - May 23 with 2741 viewsBlueBadger

the public had “shown our appreciation” on 18:19 - May 22 by LankHenners

Some kind of badge?

the public had “shown our appreciation” on 09:38 - May 23 with 2664 viewsLankHenners

the public had “shown our appreciation” on 07:14 - May 23 by BlueBadger

Some kind of badge?

No money to produce something using that much metal I’m afraid. You’ll have to make do with a ‘thank you’ from Boris and a special extended 2 minute applause.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

the public had “shown our appreciation” on 11:18 - May 23 with 2590 viewsElephantintheRoom

It was always a puerile gesture quickly latched on to and promoted by the cynical government to deflect attention away from their flailing cluelessness. Noe that Johnson has once again shown the government's contempt for the NHS it has become an embarrassment.

This country not yet North Korea - but with absurdities like the Thursday clapathon, Johnson speaking to the nation from on high and the daily mantra from behind a slogan followed by stage managed questions it has got pretty close.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

the public had “shown our appreciation” on 16:14 - May 23 with 2525 viewsrgp1

the public had “shown our appreciation” on 11:18 - May 23 by ElephantintheRoom

It was always a puerile gesture quickly latched on to and promoted by the cynical government to deflect attention away from their flailing cluelessness. Noe that Johnson has once again shown the government's contempt for the NHS it has become an embarrassment.

This country not yet North Korea - but with absurdities like the Thursday clapathon, Johnson speaking to the nation from on high and the daily mantra from behind a slogan followed by stage managed questions it has got pretty close.

What will be interesting come election time again is how the conservatives have always accused labour of being reckless with the public finances. Well I'm pretty sure the Tories cannot use the line of being responsible with public finances ever again!
the public had “shown our appreciation” on 17:08 - May 23 with 2479 viewsNthsuffolkblue

the public had “shown our appreciation” on 18:19 - May 22 by LankHenners

Reading between the lines says: "The government is considering how best to spin its decision not to do so."

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

the public had “shown our appreciation” on 20:45 - May 23 with 2392 viewsNthsuffolkblue

the public had “shown our appreciation” on 09:38 - May 23 by LankHenners

No money to produce something using that much metal I’m afraid. You’ll have to make do with a ‘thank you’ from Boris and a special extended 2 minute applause.

You make the mistake of thinking the Government would pay for the badges.

They would be sold to NHS workers for a profit.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024