Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Watson on KOA 11:28 - Sep 2 with 7483 viewshype313

Was listening to the cast earlier and Stuart made a point about the fact that when he came in it was all nice and pally with Lambert and the squad and how that didn't necessarily translate into positive performances and now he is going down the tough love route, especially given he has a long contract now. He might think if I go down i'll go down all guns blazing.

Also, is there a part of Evans thinking that the players got Hurst out and are now apparently trying to do the same with Lambert, and actually is it more an issues with the players mentality rather than the managers?

I'm not sold, personally Lambert should have gone once last season finished, but it does raise some alternative questions why Evans hasn't pulled the trigger.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Watson on KOA on 11:30 - Sep 2 with 4281 viewscatch74

I think Lambert is lucky there’s no crowd for the first few games. I was just wondering how many pints he’d have to buy everyone to get behind him, big bar bill.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Watson on KOA on 11:32 - Sep 2 with 4243 viewsjayessess

I would've thought the tough love would be more appropriately aimed at the senior professionals who actually got us in this mess than the kids, if that were the case.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Watson on KOA on 11:35 - Sep 2 with 4212 viewshype313

Watson on KOA on 11:32 - Sep 2 by jayessess

I would've thought the tough love would be more appropriately aimed at the senior professionals who actually got us in this mess than the kids, if that were the case.

But reading between the lines he is giving tough love to the senior pro's, in respect that the relationship with senior pro's seems to be non existent, maybe he feels that he has been too close?

I don't know, but either way love or no love it does seem to be fractured and beyond repair.

Watson on KOA on 11:36 - Sep 2 with 4208 viewsSteve_M

"Also, is there a part of Evans thinking that the players got Hurst out and are now apparently trying to do the same with Lambert, and actually is it more an issues with the players mentality rather than the managers?"

I think there is certainly an element of this behind the long-term contract. However Hurst showed himself to be incapable and, by the time that contract was finalised, the good start under Lambert had faded into averageness.

Also, any manager doing a contrived 'tough love' approach gets very little respect from their employees. We've probably all seen examples of it and the most common response is to think that person a cooo nt.
[Post edited 2 Sep 2020 11:58]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Watson on KOA on 11:40 - Sep 2 with 4153 viewsjayessess

Watson on KOA on 11:35 - Sep 2 by hype313

But reading between the lines he is giving tough love to the senior pro's, in respect that the relationship with senior pro's seems to be non existent, maybe he feels that he has been too close?

I don't know, but either way love or no love it does seem to be fractured and beyond repair.

I can't see the logic of, for example, Chambers getting the silent treatment as "tough love" and Woolfenden getting told off in public.

Watson on KOA on 11:40 - Sep 2 with 4147 viewshype313

Watson on KOA on 11:36 - Sep 2 by Steve_M

"Also, is there a part of Evans thinking that the players got Hurst out and are now apparently trying to do the same with Lambert, and actually is it more an issues with the players mentality rather than the managers?"

I think there is certainly an element of this behind the long-term contract. However Hurst showed himself to be incapable and, by the time that contract was finalised, the good start under Lambert had faded into averageness.

Also, any manager doing a contrived 'tough love' approach gets very little respect from their employees. We've probably all seen examples of it and the most common response is to think that person a cooo nt.

Indeed, it seems an outdated view of management these days, especially when you look at Klopp, Arteta and Guardiola.

Watson on KOA on 11:41 - Sep 2 with 4146 viewsGarv

I mean clearly there is a problem with the players, no matter which way you look at it and what you think about Lambert.

There's a losing culture at the club, we accepted relegation in October for goodness sake.

Is it a coincidence that it's soon to be two consecutive managers, who have tried to change the culture of the club, that the players have ousted?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Watson on KOA on 11:42 - Sep 2 with 4131 viewsjayessess

Watson on KOA on 11:41 - Sep 2 by Garv

I mean clearly there is a problem with the players, no matter which way you look at it and what you think about Lambert.

There's a losing culture at the club, we accepted relegation in October for goodness sake.

Is it a coincidence that it's soon to be two consecutive managers, who have tried to change the culture of the club, that the players have ousted?

Both Chambers and Skuse have been out of contract during Lambert's tenure. There was a very simple solution if that was the problem.

Login to get fewer ads

Watson on KOA on 11:46 - Sep 2 with 4098 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Being an inconsistent and unpredictable personality is a surefire way to lose the trust of the people you are trying to lead.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Watson on KOA on 11:47 - Sep 2 with 4078 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Watson on KOA on 11:41 - Sep 2 by Garv

Its not a coincidence, they are sh1t managers.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Watson on KOA on 11:50 - Sep 2 with 4050 viewsPinewoodblue

Be interesting to know if Lambert, Taylor & O'Neil where at Felixstowe for U23's.

Could it have been just Butcher & Nash, with Dyer just going along to enjoy the game.

Would be my choice if we are going to make changes at the top before the season starts.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Watson on KOA on 11:53 - Sep 2 with 4009 viewsitfcjoe

Watson on KOA on 11:50 - Sep 2 by Pinewoodblue

Be interesting to know if Lambert, Taylor & O'Neil where at Felixstowe for U23's.

Could it have been just Butcher & Nash, with Dyer just going along to enjoy the game.

Would be my choice if we are going to make changes at the top before the season starts.

I’m 99% certain that they were not, Klug was there as was Bramble

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Watson on KOA on 11:58 - Sep 2 with 3976 viewsGuthrum

That would be to place all the blame for our failures on the pitch at the feet of the players, rather than ascribing any to the Manager. Is that fair?

It would suggest that all tactical and selection factors are irrelevant. That players are deliberately conspiring to make the Manager's always perfectly good plans not work. That all footballers are capable of playing to the required standard and effectiveness wherever you fit them into a system.

Was that not one of Roy Keane's failings, an inability to comprehend and manage the limitations of lower-division players?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Watson on KOA on 11:58 - Sep 2 with 3978 viewsArnieM

There seems to be a thought process amongst Town fans, that PL’ s 5 year contract is somehow written in stone, and that Evans has not get out clause....really?? You underestimate Evans if so.

I’d say the reason he hasn’t pulled the trigger, is CoVid saved PL last season, so a clause was not officially breached. I’d suggest he’s got only a few months of this season to turn it round. Which might explain PL’s more “ aggressive” approach to the players. I could be wrong , but if things don’t hit the ground running, I’d not be surprised to see Evans pull said trigger way before Xmas.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Watson on KOA on 12:01 - Sep 2 with 3948 viewspatrickswell

Watson on KOA on 11:47 - Sep 2 by Marshalls_Mullet

Definitely Hurst completely misjudged both what was required in the Championship and how to deal with the squad he inherited.

I’m happy to conced that Lambert was dealt a poor hand in trying to keep the team up in 18/19, but he seemed to lack any kind of plan after October 2019 and killed our momentum with postponements and over-rotation.
Watson on KOA on 12:06 - Sep 2 with 3905 viewsGarv

Watson on KOA on 11:47 - Sep 2 by Marshalls_Mullet

Shrewsbury might not agree.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Watson on KOA on 12:07 - Sep 2 with 3897 viewsIpswichKnight

Watson on KOA on 11:58 - Sep 2 by ArnieM

There seems to be a thought process amongst Town fans, that PL’ s 5 year contract is somehow written in stone, and that Evans has not get out clause....really?? You underestimate Evans if so.

I’d say the reason he hasn’t pulled the trigger, is CoVid saved PL last season, so a clause was not officially breached. I’d suggest he’s got only a few months of this season to turn it round. Which might explain PL’s more “ aggressive” approach to the players. I could be wrong , but if things don’t hit the ground running, I’d not be surprised to see Evans pull said trigger way before Xmas.

There was defiantly a clause saying that if he didn't achieve top 6 finish then the payout would be around one years salary instead of the full 5 years. I hope the only reason it was triggered was that me learned friends advised ME that he might argue that the season wasn't over and he had the chance to turn it around ( however unlikely ).

I suspect he will get the game before crowds come back ( in October ) to turn it around, probably last thing ME wants is a Covid social distance break when the crowd turns on Lambert on the first game back!
Watson on KOA on 12:10 - Sep 2 with 3872 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Watson on KOA on 12:06 - Sep 2 by Garv

Scunthorpe might.

Watson on KOA on 12:13 - Sep 2 with 3837 viewsJ2BLUE

Watson on KOA on 12:06 - Sep 2 by Garv

Then they are welcome to him.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Watson on KOA on 12:24 - Sep 2 with 3779 viewsjayessess

Watson on KOA on 11:58 - Sep 2 by ArnieM

If that's the case then presumably the same break clause wouldn't be breached until we're mathematically out of contention this season as well?

Watson on KOA on 12:35 - Sep 2 with 3702 viewsitfcjoe

Watson on KOA on 11:36 - Sep 2 by Steve_M

I think the tough love approach has been Going on longer than this pre season, but it’s against a background of a manager who demonstrably proves last year he didn’t know what he was doing. Changing shape, style, personnel on a game by game basis - no work done to get the players comforts with the upcoming games.

Players see through this - tough love May work if you’ve proven you can get results with your methods, when you’ve proven the opposite it won’t work.

That pod mentioned in OP is worth a listen from Watson if anyone gets a chance

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Watson on KOA on 12:39 - Sep 2 with 3654 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

Watson on KOA on 12:35 - Sep 2 by itfcjoe

I think the tough love approach has been Going on longer than this pre season, but it’s against a background of a manager who demonstrably proves last year he didn’t know what he was doing. Changing shape, style, personnel on a game by game basis - no work done to get the players comforts with the upcoming games.

Players see through this - tough love May work if you’ve proven you can get results with your methods, when you’ve proven the opposite it won’t work.

I suppose the one positive is that when a new manager comes in, the players won't be pre-drilled into a system causing a culture shock. Like from Mick to Hurst

*clutching at straws*

In all seriousness, I can see Lambert getting September. 6 points or he is gone. Unless Evans wants to take advantage of the generous manager pool at the moment and he goes before the league starts. Sky can then have the pull of Wigan facing their former manager at Paul Cook's Ipswich.

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Watson on KOA on 14:25 - Sep 2 with 3356 viewsBlueBadger

Watson on KOA on 11:40 - Sep 2 by hype313

Indeed, it seems an outdated view of management these days, especially when you look at Klopp, Arteta and Guardiola.

It's also worth noting that manages famed for being 'tough' on their players - Ferguson, Clough, for example are always a model of 'b0llock in private, praise in public'. It's always the weaker ones that do their blaming in public.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Watson on KOA on 14:27 - Sep 2 with 3346 viewshype313

Watson on KOA on 14:25 - Sep 2 by BlueBadger

It's also worth noting that manages famed for being 'tough' on their players - Ferguson, Clough, for example are always a model of 'b0llock in private, praise in public'. It's always the weaker ones that do their blaming in public.

Agreed, I was going to mention those as ones who did give tough love, but done in the right way.

Watson on KOA on 15:00 - Sep 2 with 3271 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Watson on KOA on 12:35 - Sep 2 by itfcjoe

Against this backdrop, why did Woolfenden sign a 4 year contract only 2 months ago?

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024