Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday 10:36 - Dec 20 with 6491 viewsnoggin

Kind of makes a mockery of the whole tier 4 thing, doesn't it? It was obvious that thousands would leave before the midnight deadline. I wonder how many of those London folks will be visiting pubs, restaurants and multiple family and friends today.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2020 10:41]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 10:40 - Dec 20 with 4233 viewsfooters

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 10:41 - Dec 20 with 4205 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 10:40 - Dec 20 by footers

Brilliant.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 10:46 - Dec 20 with 4162 viewsNthQldITFC

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 10:41 - Dec 20 by The_Flashing_Smile

Brilliant.

Excessive praise.

Now, twelve would have been something to write home about.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 10:49 - Dec 20 with 4128 viewsDubtractor

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 10:46 - Dec 20 by NthQldITFC

Excessive praise.

Now, twelve would have been something to write home about.

Was going to say the same.

I once managed 11, foil still on them too.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 11:04 - Dec 20 with 4062 viewsStokieBlue

It's hard to see what alternative there was though?

I guess the deadline could have been at 5pm immediately after the press conference but that's all I can think of. It's right they have changed the rules given what is now known about the new variant.

As for the people rushing to leave, I do understand why they are doing that but there is an element of selfishness in their actions. Very little thought being given to what they could inflict on others, only what they want to do for Christmas themselves.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 11:09 - Dec 20 with 4030 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 11:04 - Dec 20 by StokieBlue

It's hard to see what alternative there was though?

I guess the deadline could have been at 5pm immediately after the press conference but that's all I can think of. It's right they have changed the rules given what is now known about the new variant.

As for the people rushing to leave, I do understand why they are doing that but there is an element of selfishness in their actions. Very little thought being given to what they could inflict on others, only what they want to do for Christmas themselves.

SB

I would've thought most of those leaving on trains last night will already have had their tickets booked when the announcement was made?

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 11:13 - Dec 20 with 4011 viewsStokieBlue

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 11:09 - Dec 20 by The_Flashing_Smile

I would've thought most of those leaving on trains last night will already have had their tickets booked when the announcement was made?

I would think a lot of them yes but if the deadline was 5pm it wouldn't matter - people couldn't leave after then. That video which was posted was from much later.

Also just because they have a ticket it doesn't mean they have to go. Some people seem to hear the news and then just assume it doesn't apply to them and they couldn't possibly spread the new variant.

Obviously a personal decision given it wasn't law at that time though.

SB

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 11:22 - Dec 20 with 3940 viewsRadlett_blue

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 11:13 - Dec 20 by StokieBlue

I would think a lot of them yes but if the deadline was 5pm it wouldn't matter - people couldn't leave after then. That video which was posted was from much later.

Also just because they have a ticket it doesn't mean they have to go. Some people seem to hear the news and then just assume it doesn't apply to them and they couldn't possibly spread the new variant.

SB

I think a large number of people are fed up with restrictions and simply aren't going to follow them all to the letter. That's inevitable in a Western democracy where people have been used to having huge freedom. Hence locking down was never going to work in the same way as in more repressive, authoritarian regimes such as China. Therefore, trying to control the spread of COVID rather than the hugely expensive & disruptive system of endlessly going in & out of lockdown was a better idea. Obviously, there is no perfect solution.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 11:25 - Dec 20 with 3929 viewsStokieBlue

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 11:22 - Dec 20 by Radlett_blue

I think a large number of people are fed up with restrictions and simply aren't going to follow them all to the letter. That's inevitable in a Western democracy where people have been used to having huge freedom. Hence locking down was never going to work in the same way as in more repressive, authoritarian regimes such as China. Therefore, trying to control the spread of COVID rather than the hugely expensive & disruptive system of endlessly going in & out of lockdown was a better idea. Obviously, there is no perfect solution.

I do take your point on lockdowns but that's hard to square with it working very well in Australia where it was much harsher than in the UK given that's a similar Western democracy.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/dec/20/police-to-stop-people-fleeing-ne

Police to be deployed on roads and stations it seems. They really should have set the time to 5pm or something last night if they wanted to contain the new strain as much as possible. It's outcompeting the old strains everywhere - an excellent example of survival of the fittest for teaching if it wasn't so serious and depressing.

SB

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 11:30 - Dec 20 with 3909 viewsPinewoodblue

SB

The point which we seem to be missing is that anyone living in London can’t stay overnight anywhere outside of Tier 4. The fact they managed to leave before the deadline has no relevance as they are required,bylaw, to head straight back and stay at home. Guess many of them will stay at addresses of relatives, or in second homes, and mix with the local community at large. Leading to a further spike.

Never mind they are only following the example of government ministers, and other MPs who did the same in the first lockdown.

Why do people think it is OK if they bend the rules but so wrong for anyone else to do it.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 11:31 - Dec 20 with 3899 viewsRadlett_blue

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 11:25 - Dec 20 by StokieBlue

I do take your point on lockdowns but that's hard to square with it working very well in Australia where it was much harsher than in the UK given that's a similar Western democracy.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/dec/20/police-to-stop-people-fleeing-ne

Police to be deployed on roads and stations it seems. They really should have set the time to 5pm or something last night if they wanted to contain the new strain as much as possible. It's outcompeting the old strains everywhere - an excellent example of survival of the fittest for teaching if it wasn't so serious and depressing.

SB

Australia is a relatively remote island state with way lower population density.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 11:33 - Dec 20 with 3885 viewsPinewoodblue

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 11:31 - Dec 20 by Radlett_blue

Australia is a relatively remote island state with way lower population density.

Population is however concentrated in a handful of cities.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 11:34 - Dec 20 with 3873 viewsStokieBlue

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 11:31 - Dec 20 by Radlett_blue

I do agree with that about the density of Australia being a bit factor but places like Melbourne and now Sydney seem to have accepted strict lockdowns with less fuss than the population of the UK.

SB

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 11:35 - Dec 20 with 3869 viewsfooters

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 11:33 - Dec 20 by Pinewoodblue

Population is however concentrated in a handful of cities.

And we are also an island nation.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 11:36 - Dec 20 with 3865 viewsEwan_Oozami

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 10:49 - Dec 20 by Dubtractor

Was going to say the same.

I once managed 11, foil still on them too.

Did you put them in the freezer first?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 11:37 - Dec 20 with 3864 viewsfactual_blue

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 11:34 - Dec 20 by StokieBlue

I do agree with that about the density of Australia being a bit factor but places like Melbourne and now Sydney seem to have accepted strict lockdowns with less fuss than the population of the UK.

SB

There is something in the assertion that Australian is rather more authoritarian generally than the UK - compulsory voting for example.

Perhaps it's their history as a prison colony.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 11:41 - Dec 20 with 3822 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

SB

Oh yeah I take your points... but I must admit, if I'd spent hundreds on train tickets, and it was still legal to go, I'd be going.

Also, if you make the deadline immediate, forcing people to lose hundreds of pounds on tickets they'd already bought, you'd surely leave yourself open to all sorts of legal challenges.

The fact is, the stupid 5 day break never should've been in place in the first place. It was madness.

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 11:42 - Dec 20 with 3804 viewsAce_High1

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 11:34 - Dec 20 by StokieBlue

SB

Because they were lead by LEADERS who made decisive decisions - see Ardern as well.

The people did not like it but they could see the bigger picture and now on the whole get to enjoy their great summer.

By and large the UK has a large % of morons in the population who just think about their rights, freedoms and what they want to do.

If I had an Aussie relation or a way to get an Aussie passport I would be right out of this hellhole of a country as soon as the borders open.
Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 11:44 - Dec 20 with 3802 viewsfactual_blue

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 11:30 - Dec 20 by Pinewoodblue

The point which we seem to be missing is that anyone living in London can’t stay overnight anywhere outside of Tier 4. The fact they managed to leave before the deadline has no relevance as they are required,bylaw, to head straight back and stay at home. Guess many of them will stay at addresses of relatives, or in second homes, and mix with the local community at large. Leading to a further spike.

Never mind they are only following the example of government ministers, and other MPs who did the same in the first lockdown.

Why do people think it is OK if they bend the rules but so wrong for anyone else to do it.

Because they're idiots and hypocrites?

We were supposed to be meeting some friends this morning for a nice walk in the Suffolk countryside.

Around 5.00pm they let us know they won't be able to make it

You don't have to be a genius to work it out....

They have a daughter and son--in-law living in Twickenham. The daughter is heavily pregnant, our friends have health issues: she has a long-term respiratory problem, he had an blood clot earlier in the year.

We've decided we won't be meeting with them again for at least a fortnight.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2020 11:59]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 11:48 - Dec 20 with 3766 viewsnoggin

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 11:42 - Dec 20 by Ace_High1

Because they were lead by LEADERS who made decisive decisions - see Ardern as well.

The people did not like it but they could see the bigger picture and now on the whole get to enjoy their great summer.

By and large the UK has a large % of morons in the population who just think about their rights, freedoms and what they want to do.

If I had an Aussie relation or a way to get an Aussie passport I would be right out of this hellhole of a country as soon as the borders open.

Luckily you have the opportunity to move freely around Europe and settle in any EU country you wish. Oh.....

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 12:09 - Dec 20 with 3682 viewsnoggin

Someone rang LBC earlier, from Manchester. He was at The Trafford Centre and got talking to a couple who had travelled from Luton to do their Christmas shopping, "because the shops at home are closed."

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 12:10 - Dec 20 with 3664 viewsAce_High1

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 12:09 - Dec 20 by noggin

Someone rang LBC earlier, from Manchester. He was at The Trafford Centre and got talking to a couple who had travelled from Luton to do their Christmas shopping, "because the shops at home are closed."

The Great British Public ladies and gentlemen.

Will Norway adopt me?
Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 12:11 - Dec 20 with 3652 viewsnoggin

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 12:10 - Dec 20 by Ace_High1

The Great British Public ladies and gentlemen.

Will Norway adopt me?

They will before 1st Jan.

Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 12:18 - Dec 20 with 3612 viewsClareBlue

The importance of leadership by example is continually overlooked in this Pandemic but has massive consequences when it is not in place.

When the example is driving to beauty spots on your wife's birthday to test your eyes is given a credible reason for breaking the rules, or telling people to stay at home but you sneak off to see your lover, or your second home, or when you test positive you get on a train from London to Scotland etc etc all lead to a breakdown in collective responsibility.

Add this to confused and contradictory strategies and messages plus a Prime Minister who looks like he is suffering from a hangover every time he appears in public and the general lack of importance on truth and integrity that is shown by the Government, and you get the situation that was last night and any other night.

If you take people for mugs they will rightly only look after their own interests.
Those scenes from St Pancras yesterday on 12:22 - Dec 20 with 3571 viewsstantheman

Makes you proud to be British, like when the children were evacuated out of London during the blitz.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024