Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Josh Emmanuel 14:16 - Jan 20 with 3038 viewsCustardCream

Can anybody shed some light on why we let this lad go for free? I never saw him play live but from the little bits I was able to pick up from highlights of games he played, I always thought he had the potential to be a decent player for us. Certainly more so than Kenlock
Josh Emmanuel on 14:22 - Jan 20 with 2736 viewsbournemouthblue

It's one I didn't get at the time, I must say. He was clearly going to have a reasonable career at some level.

Did Hurst or Lambert let him go?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Josh Emmanuel on 14:29 - Jan 20 with 2716 viewsjayessess

To be generous, we didn't think he'd be first choice right back in the future and he wanted to go somewhere where he would be.

Being harsh, the club seemingly isn't good at developing ability in young players after their fist team breakthrough and didn't spot that our squad would soon be disastrously light on full backs.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2021 14:51]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Josh Emmanuel on 14:32 - Jan 20 with 2693 viewsWallingford_Boy

Never really performed in a Town shirt, so his time here was very stop/start.

Did well out on loan though and remember a Rotherham friend of mine raving about him, think they wanted to sign him.

Guess he was never given a decent run under McCarthy, for whatever reason, he didn't rate him.

RIP Sir Bobby

Josh Emmanuel on 14:37 - Jan 20 with 2670 viewsRadlett_blue

Josh Emmanuel on 14:22 - Jan 20 by bournemouthblue

It's one I didn't get at the time, I must say. He was clearly going to have a reasonable career at some level.

Did Hurst or Lambert let him go?

Hurst loaned him to his old club Shewsbury, while we paid a fortune to replace him with Donacien. Lambert recalled him in January 2019 & then released him at the end of the season. More cracking bits of business & squad management from 2 inept managers.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Josh Emmanuel on 14:43 - Jan 20 with 2638 viewssnudge27

If KVY was fit and firing, would this even be a subject worthy of discussion?

Poll: Who is the best Lord?

Josh Emmanuel on 14:44 - Jan 20 with 2637 viewsWeekender

The same reason we let a number of other youngsters go who have gone on to do well, at the time they weren't good enough. See Nick Pope, Matt Clarke, Jack Marriot, Connor Hourihane.

Some players need to drop down a division or two to get a run in a team that then allows them to improve and realise their potential and move back up again. To say in hindsight we shouldn't have released a player who has gone on to do well fails to consider their level at the time of release.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Josh Emmanuel on 14:45 - Jan 20 with 2631 viewsjayessess

Josh Emmanuel on 14:32 - Jan 20 by Wallingford_Boy

Did well out on loan though and remember a Rotherham friend of mine raving about him, think they wanted to sign him.

Guess he was never given a decent run under McCarthy, for whatever reason, he didn't rate him.

Feel like the "never really performed" thing is a bit of a false memory. He had that successful loan spell to Rotherham and his only subsequent league games for Ipswich Town were 4 dead rubbers at the tail end of our relegation season.

There was never really a moment for him to "perform" as an Ipswich player apart from when he was a teenager.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2021 14:46]

Josh Emmanuel on 14:46 - Jan 20 with 2620 viewsWD19

'Better than Kenlock'..........there's something that nobody will be proud write on their CV, ever.

Emmanuel is less good than KVY if both are fit and presumably was keen to play 1st team football.
Login to get fewer ads

Josh Emmanuel on 14:47 - Jan 20 with 2622 viewsjayessess

Josh Emmanuel on 14:44 - Jan 20 by Weekender

The same reason we let a number of other youngsters go who have gone on to do well, at the time they weren't good enough. See Nick Pope, Matt Clarke, Jack Marriot, Connor Hourihane.

Some players need to drop down a division or two to get a run in a team that then allows them to improve and realise their potential and move back up again. To say in hindsight we shouldn't have released a player who has gone on to do well fails to consider their level at the time of release.

Emmanuel was released to the same division we were already playing in and was turning in man of the match performances less than a year later.

Josh Emmanuel on 14:49 - Jan 20 with 2603 viewsjayessess

Josh Emmanuel on 14:43 - Jan 20 by snudge27

If KVY was fit and firing, would this even be a subject worthy of discussion?

Yes, because (a) We need more than one right back at the club and (b) both KVY and Emmanuel can play left back and our current left back is too old to play 2 games a week for months on end.

Josh Emmanuel on 15:17 - Jan 20 with 2498 viewsWeekender

Josh Emmanuel on 14:47 - Jan 20 by jayessess

Emmanuel was released to the same division we were already playing in and was turning in man of the match performances less than a year later.

He joined Bolton, a basket case club in the division we were entering. He needed to drop down to them to get regular starts. He improved and got his move to Hull.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Josh Emmanuel on 15:19 - Jan 20 with 2489 viewsrickw

I think Lambert thought he was too error prone.
He made a mistake in pre-season then another in the league cup, shortly after he was shipped out.

It turned out it was a rash decision and he just needed a run of games to eradicate them from his game, he always had the pace, power and technique required to become a very good full back.

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Josh Emmanuel on 16:30 - Jan 20 with 2392 viewsParisBlue

Josh Emmanuel on 14:37 - Jan 20 by Radlett_blue

Hurst loaned him to his old club Shewsbury, while we paid a fortune to replace him with Donacien. Lambert recalled him in January 2019 & then released him at the end of the season. More cracking bits of business & squad management from 2 inept managers.

Was released in the August (contract paid up). Hadn't had the best pre-season, gave away a penalty at Luton in the cup, and after signing KVY was seen surplus to requirements.

Always looked to have promise but never had a run in the team and never really took the limited chances he had. Should have been given a run in this division though based on his time at Rotherham.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Josh Emmanuel on 16:37 - Jan 20 with 2371 viewsjayessess

Josh Emmanuel on 15:17 - Jan 20 by Weekender

He joined Bolton, a basket case club in the division we were entering. He needed to drop down to them to get regular starts. He improved and got his move to Hull.

He was getting starts for Bolton whilst we were picking Gwion Edwards at right back.

Josh Emmanuel on 16:45 - Jan 20 with 2343 viewsxrayspecs

Saw him live quite a few times and never thought he was good enough to be a regular starter in the Championship nor that convincing when he did play. A bit like Kenlock, rather underwhelming.

Fair play to him that he has seems to have kicked on after going to Bolton and now Hull, albeit in League One.
Josh Emmanuel on 16:46 - Jan 20 with 2339 viewsclive_baker

Always felt very odd to me that we invested £750k in a right back who never appeared any better than one we had already, and was largely underutilised. He had all the ingredients for the modern fullback, pace, physicality, athleticism to get up and down. He was no Cafu by any means but always seemed like he could kick on with a bit of ironing out. Had a good loan spell at Rotherham where he got promoted, but still didn't get a chance. I think he's a very decent League 1 right back, perhaps more than that in time.

Kenlock looks far less natural on the ball, I think he would be better suited centrally TBH but in hindsight for all the t0ss we've tried at full back in recent years, loanees, wingers, and central defenders out of position etc, would we have done a lot worse than sticking these 2 there and giving them a chance?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Josh Emmanuel on 17:12 - Jan 20 with 2286 viewscbower

Funny thing to blame Mick for. Under Mick he broke through and had a very successful loan at Rotherham as you say. No, he was never first choice under MM but he was young and raw. It was Hurst who shipped him on loan to Shrewsbury and under Lambert he played a few, loaned to Bolton and released. Now he is in the league above getting good press. Somehow you seem to find this to be down to Mick?

bluescouser

Josh Emmanuel on 18:18 - Jan 20 with 2196 viewsRadlett_blue

Josh Emmanuel on 15:17 - Jan 20 by Weekender

Anyone think we're better of with Chambers at right back instead of Emmanuel?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Josh Emmanuel on 18:23 - Jan 20 with 2189 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Josh Emmanuel on 18:36 - Jan 20 with 2152 viewsbournemouthblue

Josh Emmanuel on 16:45 - Jan 20 by xrayspecs

Saw him live quite a few times and never thought he was good enough to be a regular starter in the Championship nor that convincing when he did play. A bit like Kenlock, rather underwhelming.

Fair play to him that he has seems to have kicked on after going to Bolton and now Hull, albeit in League One.

He is 23 now, so it's easy to forget how young he was when playing for us, he was not going to be the finished article but he clearly had the raw attributes to develop

Donacien is the real puzzler, what a complete waste of money that was ultimately
[Post edited 20 Jan 2021 22:23]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Josh Emmanuel on 21:16 - Jan 20 with 1949 viewsKeaneish

Josh Emmanuel on 14:45 - Jan 20 by jayessess

Feel like the "never really performed" thing is a bit of a false memory. He had that successful loan spell to Rotherham and his only subsequent league games for Ipswich Town were 4 dead rubbers at the tail end of our relegation season.

There was never really a moment for him to "perform" as an Ipswich player apart from when he was a teenager.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2021 14:46]

Any player should perform every time they pull on a town shirt. I saw plenty of him under Mick and one of his final games at Kenilworth Road. He’s not a patch on KVY - right decision for me. Good luck to him at Hull.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Josh Emmanuel on 21:19 - Jan 20 with 1941 viewsSwansea_Blue

Trouble is, nobody's performed because they've had to play under complete numpties. I struggle to think of the last player who really stood out and played at the top of their game. Must be years ago now.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Josh Emmanuel on 21:48 - Jan 20 with 1879 viewsjayessess

Josh Emmanuel on 21:16 - Jan 20 by Keaneish

Any player should perform every time they pull on a town shirt. I saw plenty of him under Mick and one of his final games at Kenilworth Road. He’s not a patch on KVY - right decision for me. Good luck to him at Hull.

You wrote him off after a handful of games as a 19 year old and one indifferent cup tie under the worst manager in Ipswich history?

He'd have been considerably more useful to the club than KVY from October 26th 2019 onwards, I'd say.

Josh Emmanuel on 22:12 - Jan 20 with 1849 viewspatrickswell

Josh Emmanuel on 16:46 - Jan 20 by clive_baker

Always felt very odd to me that we invested £750k in a right back who never appeared any better than one we had already, and was largely underutilised. He had all the ingredients for the modern fullback, pace, physicality, athleticism to get up and down. He was no Cafu by any means but always seemed like he could kick on with a bit of ironing out. Had a good loan spell at Rotherham where he got promoted, but still didn't get a chance. I think he's a very decent League 1 right back, perhaps more than that in time.

Kenlock looks far less natural on the ball, I think he would be better suited centrally TBH but in hindsight for all the t0ss we've tried at full back in recent years, loanees, wingers, and central defenders out of position etc, would we have done a lot worse than sticking these 2 there and giving them a chance?

Well he’d been part of a Rotherham side that had denied Paul Hurst promotion the season before, so he was effectively writing his own exit note the moment that the tanned gnome got here. Replacing a young right back who had Championship experience with a bloke who’d never played above League Two - and the same genius decided against signing KVY too - God, what a cretin Hurst was.
Josh Emmanuel on 22:45 - Jan 20 with 1742 viewsGarv

Josh Emmanuel on 16:46 - Jan 20 by clive_baker

JD is a better one on one defender than JE for me, it's a myth that he's crap. Trouble is, beyond that JD doesn't offer enough.

If KVY was fit we wouldn't be having this thread I don't think.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024