Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock 21:14 - Mar 4 with 2522 viewsWeWereZombies

Modernisation, innit?

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 21:16 - Mar 4 with 2391 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I did think this earlier.

Good for the environment and cost saving. Safer for fans travelling after the match too.

It won't go down well with traditionalists but why not?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 21:17 - Mar 4 with 2381 viewschrismakin

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 21:16 - Mar 4 by Nthsuffolkblue

Good for the environment and cost saving. Safer for fans travelling after the match too.

Do what lower leagues do

3pm normal
2pm winter

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 21:29 - Mar 4 with 2347 viewsJ2BLUE

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 21:16 - Mar 4 by Nthsuffolkblue

It's a no for me. Yes based purely on tradition. Football at 1pm feels wrong. At least a whole set of fixtures. A single game is fine but football's home is 3pm on a Saturday.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 21:33 - Mar 4 with 2331 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 21:29 - Mar 4 by J2BLUE

It's a no for me. Yes based purely on tradition. Football at 1pm feels wrong. At least a whole set of fixtures. A single game is fine but football's home is 3pm on a Saturday.

I do get that but would it be such a drastic thing for it to change?

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 21:34 - Mar 4 with 2334 viewsgainsboroughblue

Also a big defeat for the man who enjoys those hours in the pub before the game and the wife expecting him home ten minutes after the end.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 21:36 - Mar 4 with 2319 viewsJ2BLUE

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 21:33 - Mar 4 by Nthsuffolkblue

For me it just messes with the march day experience.

You watch the early game in the pub, you go to Town's game, back in the pub by the evening kick off. You're also looking at this from the perspective of people getting home. What about when Sunderland play Plymouth at 1pm?

Edit: Over 7 hours by car from Sunderland to Plymouth. A bit of leeway and potentially some roadworks and fans could have to leave in the early hours!
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 21:41]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 21:36 - Mar 4 with 2322 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 21:34 - Mar 4 by gainsboroughblue

Also a big defeat for the man who enjoys those hours in the pub before the game and the wife expecting him home ten minutes after the end.

Who would tell the wife it had changed?

Simply enjoy the post-match pint as well as the abbreviated ones before.

I know we are not used to enjoying post-match drinking, mind.

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 23:44 - Mar 4 with 2233 viewsgainsboroughblue

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 21:36 - Mar 4 by Nthsuffolkblue

Who would tell the wife it had changed?

Simply enjoy the post-match pint as well as the abbreviated ones before.

I know we are not used to enjoying post-match drinking, mind.

Oh. They'd find a way to know. I've tried that one on in the past.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Login to get fewer ads

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 02:29 - Mar 5 with 2195 viewstextbackup

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 23:44 - Mar 4 by gainsboroughblue

Oh. They'd find a way to know. I've tried that one on in the past.

"what time is kick off?
"3"
"and how long does it take by train to get to London"
"dunno, about an hour"
"and you're booked on the 0808 train, with a crate of beers to drink on the way?"

that was never even mentioned when you first meet them, then maybe 6months later it creeps in..... 5/6 years down the line it doesn't get mentioned again as they know you have drink problems on a big London away day.

moral of story, they get used to you.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 07:50 - Mar 5 with 2067 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

No, because some away supporters (and a few home who just happen to live a long way from their club) wouldn't be able to make it to the game. Or they'd be cutting it fine, particularly with public transport delays.

I presume 3pm was originally chosen to allow travelling time?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 07:51 - Mar 5 with 2064 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

How is it good for the environment and cost saving?

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 07:57 - Mar 5 with 2050 viewsWeWereZombies

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 07:51 - Mar 5 by The_Flashing_Smile

How is it good for the environment and cost saving?

Saves on electricity for floodlighting (allegedly); which in turn means less of a drain on the National Grid at a time when the entire nation are boiling kettles and turning on devices to watch Gillingham play Ipswich...

I don't see why they can't power their floodlights from wind power, send off a Gill in the first two minutes and Evans will provide the moaning; so turbine on the fourth official's head and it's sorted.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2021 7:59]

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 08:12 - Mar 5 with 2034 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 07:57 - Mar 5 by WeWereZombies

Saves on electricity for floodlighting (allegedly); which in turn means less of a drain on the National Grid at a time when the entire nation are boiling kettles and turning on devices to watch Gillingham play Ipswich...

I don't see why they can't power their floodlights from wind power, send off a Gill in the first two minutes and Evans will provide the moaning; so turbine on the fourth official's head and it's sorted.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2021 7:59]

Is that it, floodlights? Hardly a massive boon for the environment! We could always play more games in the summer to avoid some of that.

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 08:19 - Mar 5 with 2009 viewsLeaky

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 07:50 - Mar 5 by The_Flashing_Smile

No, because some away supporters (and a few home who just happen to live a long way from their club) wouldn't be able to make it to the game. Or they'd be cutting it fine, particularly with public transport delays.

I presume 3pm was originally chosen to allow travelling time?

3pm kick off was originally because Saturday morning was part of the working week. Allowed people to leave work at 12 get home get changed & get to the game.
Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 08:23 - Mar 5 with 1990 viewsGlasgowBlue

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 21:33 - Mar 4 by Nthsuffolkblue

Sky and BT wouldn’t be in favour of it.

In normal times current rules state they can’t broadcast a game at the same time as the normal fixture list. So we get a TV game kicking off at 12.30 and another at 5.30.

If we changed kick off times to 1pm the the first TV game would have to kick off at 10.30am (would hit the pub trade who lay a small fortune to Sky) and 3pm (again, not a great time for pubs)

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 08:24 - Mar 5 with 1991 viewsMattinLondon

I wouldn’t mind at all if kickoffs changed to 1pm.

I certainly would scrap football around Christmas. Roughly from the 23rd Dec - 3rd Jan I’d introduce a winter break.
Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 08:31 - Mar 5 with 1972 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 08:19 - Mar 5 by Leaky

3pm kick off was originally because Saturday morning was part of the working week. Allowed people to leave work at 12 get home get changed & get to the game.

Well that would be no good for people who lived more than an hour away then.

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 08:35 - Mar 5 with 1962 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 08:24 - Mar 5 by MattinLondon

I wouldn’t mind at all if kickoffs changed to 1pm.

I certainly would scrap football around Christmas. Roughly from the 23rd Dec - 3rd Jan I’d introduce a winter break.

I presume you don't go to many long distance away games then?

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 08:44 - Mar 5 with 1945 viewsBluefish

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 21:17 - Mar 4 by chrismakin

Do what lower leagues do

3pm normal
2pm winter

When I went down leagues that was always the crashing reality when games got moved to 2pm again because we didn't have floodlights

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 08:47 - Mar 5 with 1940 viewsMattinLondon

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 08:35 - Mar 5 by The_Flashing_Smile

I presume you don't go to many long distance away games then?

A few but not as many as what I used to
Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 08:48 - Mar 5 with 1931 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 08:12 - Mar 5 by The_Flashing_Smile

Is that it, floodlights? Hardly a massive boon for the environment! We could always play more games in the summer to avoid some of that.

Every little helps.

Sky wouldn't mind as long as they got the same number or more games in. They would probably even argue for coverage at 1pm as well.

I think originally fewer fans went to away games. Might have been more of an issue for the away team at a semi-pro level.

To answer a few comments at once.

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 08:52 - Mar 5 with 1923 views26_Paz

A massive no from me. A lot of people like to have a few pints before the game, you want us to start drinking in the morning? Savages.

The Paz Man

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 09:25 - Mar 5 with 1884 viewsLeaky

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 08:31 - Mar 5 by The_Flashing_Smile

Well that would be no good for people who lived more than an hour away then.

I think this was probably before the average man had a car . When you supported your local team & probably very few people attended away games.
Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 10:04 - Mar 5 with 1860 viewsjonbull88

It’s a no from me as well. I hate lunchtime kick off. At least with 3pm kick offs you can have a decent morning and do all the weekend jobs/spend a few hours with the family, then go to the game/have a few beers in the afternoon.
Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 10:23 - Mar 5 with 1834 viewsKieran_Knows

Shouldn't all Saturday games kick off at one o'clock on 02:29 - Mar 5 by textbackup

"what time is kick off?
"3"
"and how long does it take by train to get to London"
"dunno, about an hour"
"and you're booked on the 0808 train, with a crate of beers to drink on the way?"

that was never even mentioned when you first meet them, then maybe 6months later it creeps in..... 5/6 years down the line it doesn't get mentioned again as they know you have drink problems on a big London away day.

moral of story, they get used to you.

This.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024