Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who would you keep 13:35 - Mar 22 with 3492 viewsmkbobby

We have 15 players who’s contracts are up in June plus 6 loanees the only ones I would keep are dozzell, bishop, Wilson& Jackson so that’s 17 of the squad that could be let go including the likes of chambers, skuse , sears huws, edwards, nsiala, judge,ward, drinan, nydam, and Wright we’ll see where this club is going at the end of June when the contracts are being handed out this is a big part of the wage bill that could be cleared for cook to bring in the type of players he wants
Who would you keep on 13:48 - Mar 22 with 3444 viewsRadlett_blue

There is undoubtedly going to be a big clear out. I would keep very few of the senior players. Trigger extension for Judge, Bishop & Jackson (then sell the latter if he won't fit into Cook's 4-2-3-1).
Toto may be worth keeping as Cook knows him & may be able to get the best out of his limited ability. Cook also may have a view on Donacien. Wilson might be worth a year as back up - rather keep him than Chambers.
Edwards will have other suitors who may offer him more than us. A frustratingly inconsistent performer, but one who usually doesn't seem short on effort.
Younger players are trickier, but I'm not sure if the squad size restriction rule was torn up along with the salary cap. Nydam is worth keeping if there's any chance of him getting properly fit; nit sure about Morris, folami etc as we seem to have too many players around who are unproven and/or permanent sick notes.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Who would you keep on 14:11 - Mar 22 with 3403 viewsjayessess

Players who should definitely go as it stands
Huws
Sears
Wright
Drinan
Skuse
Ward

Players with triggers who might be worth something
Donacien
Jackson

Players who we should look to replace with better, but consider retaining if that's not possible
Chambers
Judge
Nsiala
Wilson

Players who we should definitely offer a new contract
Bishop

Players who probably won't sign an extension
Edwards

Players you can't really judge
Nydam

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Who would you keep on 14:14 - Mar 22 with 3393 viewsrickw

Who would you keep on 14:11 - Mar 22 by jayessess

Huws
Sears
Wright
Drinan
Skuse
Ward

Donacien
Jackson

Players who we should look to replace with better, but consider retaining if that's not possible
Chambers
Judge
Nsiala
Wilson

Bishop

Edwards

Nydam

I agree with all of this.
Cotter should also be on the release list and Morris on the unknown list

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Who would you keep on 14:20 - Mar 22 with 3383 viewsjayessess

Who would you keep on 14:14 - Mar 22 by rickw

I agree with all of this.
Cotter should also be on the release list and Morris on the unknown list

I think it safe to say that the Cotter decision is done and dusted.

Who would you keep on 14:22 - Mar 22 with 3377 viewsgordon

Huws
Sears
Wright
Drinan
Skuse
Ward

Donacien
Jackson

Chambers
Judge
Nsiala
Wilson

Bishop

Edwards

Nydam

Agree with that, think Kayden Jackson's one year option will be triggered, Donacien not.

Nydam and Morris should definitely get another year: if there's a 1/20 chance that either of them kick on and become a £2 million pound asset, then they are easily worth the expense of an extra year on low wages.

With another year in Judge's legs I can't see him being selected very often in a Paul Cook side and would guess that Dobra and El Mizouni will be regularly in the 18 next year, but he's the sort of player we normally hang onto anyway.

Can't see Edwards wanting to stay, and Cotter has presumably had enough of a chance now.
Who would you keep on 14:24 - Mar 22 with 3367 viewswkj

Huws
Sears
Wright
Drinan
Skuse
Ward

Donacien
Jackson

Chambers
Judge
Nsiala
Wilson

Bishop

Edwards

Nydam

Jackson we should trigger and sell. He's not suited to Cook's formation - he needs to be in a 442 with a deep lying forward to be effective.

Glad you are 50/50 with Donacien - He has never had a chance to build match confidence here, and he would be much better as a deputy than having no one. Skuse I would agree with only if we're talking retirement.

If Chambers stays, he simply wont handle being a 1st team player week in week out - I want him to stay and get his testimonial, and feature as a rotation player - but I think it is time for him to pass the batten on as Captain this summer.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Who would you keep on 14:39 - Mar 22 with 3347 viewsjayessess

Who would you keep on 14:22 - Mar 22 by gordon

Agree with that, think Kayden Jackson's one year option will be triggered, Donacien not.

Nydam and Morris should definitely get another year: if there's a 1/20 chance that either of them kick on and become a £2 million pound asset, then they are easily worth the expense of an extra year on low wages.

With another year in Judge's legs I can't see him being selected very often in a Paul Cook side and would guess that Dobra and El Mizouni will be regularly in the 18 next year, but he's the sort of player we normally hang onto anyway.

Can't see Edwards wanting to stay, and Cotter has presumably had enough of a chance now.

Because Edwards flatters to deceive somewhat he'll have clubs who want to offer him more than we'll want to, imagining they can get consistent performances out of him. Which is fine by me.

The club seemed to think they'd be able to realise some of Donacien's value in the Summer. IMO they were kidding themselves.

On Judge (and the other 3 in that category): I don't think any of the 4 are the best we could find for their position, but realistically in this Summer we're already going to be trying to find a lot of players. I can see the logic in keeping Judge, similar to the logic of having Gary Roberts about at Wigan in 2020. He's versatile, he takes a good set piece, he's one less player you have to recruit.

Who would you keep on 14:46 - Mar 22 with 3322 viewsBeckets

Dozzell is already contracted to 2024 or similar.
Login to get fewer ads

Who would you keep on 14:55 - Mar 22 with 3296 viewsgordon

Who would you keep on 14:39 - Mar 22 by jayessess

Because Edwards flatters to deceive somewhat he'll have clubs who want to offer him more than we'll want to, imagining they can get consistent performances out of him. Which is fine by me.

The club seemed to think they'd be able to realise some of Donacien's value in the Summer. IMO they were kidding themselves.

On Judge (and the other 3 in that category): I don't think any of the 4 are the best we could find for their position, but realistically in this Summer we're already going to be trying to find a lot of players. I can see the logic in keeping Judge, similar to the logic of having Gary Roberts about at Wigan in 2020. He's versatile, he takes a good set piece, he's one less player you have to recruit.

Yup, I agree with that, I don't think the problems with the ability of the current squad are really all that great, it's more to do with leadership, know-how and playing style. Main things for me are convincing Norwood to look after himself properly (or get in someone else), we sign a really gnarly, tough central midfielder, we start getting goals from the three attackers behind Norwood, and we have back-up full backs able to play in the same style as our first-choice full-backs.

If we got rid of Wilson, for example, we'd probably just end up looking to bring in a player like Wilson, which would distract us from the other recruitment needs.
Who would you keep on 14:56 - Mar 22 with 3295 viewsjayessess

Who would you keep on 14:24 - Mar 22 by wkj

Jackson we should trigger and sell. He's not suited to Cook's formation - he needs to be in a 442 with a deep lying forward to be effective.

Glad you are 50/50 with Donacien - He has never had a chance to build match confidence here, and he would be much better as a deputy than having no one. Skuse I would agree with only if we're talking retirement.

If Chambers stays, he simply wont handle being a 1st team player week in week out - I want him to stay and get his testimonial, and feature as a rotation player - but I think it is time for him to pass the batten on as Captain this summer.

Putting aside form/fitness, Skuse is surely one midfielder too many, if the plan is to slim down the squad and make improvements where we're thin on numbers.

Assuming Bishop and Nydam get extensions, then we'd have Bishop, Dozzell, Downes, Nolan, Nydam and McGavin all under contract, before we even start to think about strengthening. Can't see how it's justifiable to keep Skuse on when so many other places need work.

Who would you keep on 14:57 - Mar 22 with 3291 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Keep Downes, Dozzell, Wilson (unless we go up by some miracle) and Nydham.

Rest can go

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Who would you keep on 15:00 - Mar 22 with 3286 viewsSomethingBlue

Of the current squad, I'd love to see Dozzell and Downes do something here but it has to happen soon. Bishop too but I wonder if somewhere else might do him good at this point in his career. Hopefully KVY pushes on in the next few weeks and I'd keep Chambers around as long as possible in some capacity.

As for the rest — some nice players and decent lads but I wouldn't lose a moment's sleep.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Who would you keep on 15:22 - Mar 22 with 3196 viewsMrTown

Huws
Sears
Wright
Drinan
Skuse
Ward

Donacien
Jackson

Chambers
Judge
Nsiala
Wilson

Bishop

Edwards

Nydam

El Mizouni & Nydam trigger extensions for me.

I think Nsiala will be kept, possibly Donacien due to his versatility.

The rest, out you go.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Who would you keep on 15:24 - Mar 22 with 3188 viewsHerbivore

Huws
Sears
Wright
Drinan
Skuse
Ward

Donacien
Jackson

Chambers
Judge
Nsiala
Wilson

Bishop

Edwards

Nydam

Yeah I think this is probably about right, although I'd just bin Donacien off I think. He's not had a fair crack here but I just get the impression it's never going to happen for him here. Not sure he'd be worth much if we did keep him.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Who would you keep on 15:28 - Mar 22 with 3175 viewsclive_baker

Huws
Sears
Wright
Drinan
Skuse
Ward

Donacien
Jackson

Chambers
Judge
Nsiala
Wilson

Bishop

Edwards

Nydam

Happy with this other than Chambers. Good servant, good player, thanks for your efforts but this needs to be a new era and I think it's symbolic now as much as anything else. Move him and Skuse on, not onto the coaching staff. Good luck to them, good lads, but I feel like they need the change and so does the club.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Who would you keep on 16:11 - Mar 22 with 3067 viewsBeckets

Who would you keep on 15:28 - Mar 22 by clive_baker

Happy with this other than Chambers. Good servant, good player, thanks for your efforts but this needs to be a new era and I think it's symbolic now as much as anything else. Move him and Skuse on, not onto the coaching staff. Good luck to them, good lads, but I feel like they need the change and so does the club.

Cook seems to like a lot of attacking options on the bench. I wonder if he might give Chambers another year solely as a squad player on the bench knowing that he can come on and fill in at right back or centre back.
Who would you keep on 16:21 - Mar 22 with 3043 viewsjayessess

Who would you keep on 15:28 - Mar 22 by clive_baker

I would. I have a hunch Cook won't see it that way. Of course if the offer is "stick around as a squad player and club captain Luke" then he might well take the decision out of our hands and go find a club he can play 40 games for.

Who would you keep on 16:55 - Mar 22 with 2981 viewsTractorFrog

Huws
Sears
Wright
Drinan
Skuse
Ward

Donacien
Jackson

Chambers
Judge
Nsiala
Wilson

Bishop

Edwards

Nydam

Nydam should absolutely be on the definitely keep list. What is there to lose by keeping him? It is not like he will be on a high wage.
I would also keep Drinan, Judge and at least one of Wilson or Nsiala, while Skuse should be on the list with Chambers. I really want to keep them both but I can't see either being in the squad often enough. For me, we should keep Skuse if Downes leaves, and Chambers if Woolfenden, or both of Wilson and Nsiala leave.

They'd all laugh at me if they knew what I was trying to do. To create a new strain of super-wine in half-an-hour with a fraction of nature's resources and a FOOL for an assistant. 'Bernard Black, he's mad,' they'd say, 'he's insane, he's dangerous.' Well I'll show them! I'll show them all!
Poll: What hurt more?

Who would you keep on 16:56 - Mar 22 with 2975 viewschrismakin

Who would you keep on 16:55 - Mar 22 by TractorFrog

Nydam should absolutely be on the definitely keep list. What is there to lose by keeping him? It is not like he will be on a high wage.
I would also keep Drinan, Judge and at least one of Wilson or Nsiala, while Skuse should be on the list with Chambers. I really want to keep them both but I can't see either being in the squad often enough. For me, we should keep Skuse if Downes leaves, and Chambers if Woolfenden, or both of Wilson and Nsiala leave.

Drinan.... eh???
May aswell keep sears then

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Who would you keep on 17:09 - Mar 22 with 2961 viewsjayessess

Who would you keep on 16:55 - Mar 22 by TractorFrog

This is exactly the contract policy that brought us to mid table in League One though, isn't it?
Spread our resources across a very large squad of players who we absolutely know don't make the difference in this league.

If we're getting fees in for Woolfenden or Downes, why on Earth should we be settling for Chambers and Skuse as stand ins?

Who would you keep on 17:45 - Mar 22 with 2913 viewsjayessess

Who would you keep on 14:20 - Mar 22 by jayessess

I think it safe to say that the Cotter decision is done and dusted.

I'm not ITK, honest

Who would you keep on 18:43 - Mar 22 with 2823 viewsHerbivore

Who would you keep on 17:45 - Mar 22 by jayessess

I'm not ITK, honest

The way they've worded it gives me visions of him stropping out of the office, packing up his locker, and saying something like "You're all a bunch of pricks anyway" as he walks out the door.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Who would you keep on 19:52 - Mar 22 with 2727 viewsRadlett_blue

Who would you keep on 15:24 - Mar 22 by Herbivore

Yeah I think this is probably about right, although I'd just bin Donacien off I think. He's not had a fair crack here but I just get the impression it's never going to happen for him here. Not sure he'd be worth much if we did keep him.

Yes, average 3rd division player & if we trigger his extension, a player with 1 year left on his contract probably at above average 3rd tier wages so hard to see him attracting a fee. Bonkers that we loaned him rather than sold him in January but I think Evans didn't want to crystallise a loss.
Some dislike for Norwood on this board, but he's far & away our best striker. Jackson doesn't fit into Cook's 4-2-3-1, Sears is past it & Drinan doesn't look good enough so I doubt we're going to find 2 or 3 better strikers than Norwood.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024