Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Most important battle in British history ? 09:05 - May 26 with 10928 viewsKeno

I thought I try and raise the intellectual standard today with a little rhetorical question. I was watching an old series War & Remembrance in which comment is passed that El Alamein will be the last battle fought by 'the British' (a term used loosely as there was acknowledgement paid to the part paid by 'Empire')

I immediately thought well actually I guess the Falklands probably was 'our last war', although that could be argued as we got a lot of help from the Yanks

Anyway got me thinking which historically could be argued to be the most important/siginificant battle?

Ashdown
Hastings
Agincourt
Naseby
Culloden
Waterloo
Amiens
Cable Street
El Alamein

Feel free to add other!!

I doubt there is a right or wrong answer but there are several historians on here and I thought it might make for an interesting thread

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Most important battle in British history ? on 09:06 - May 26 with 3557 viewshype313

Why not ask Facters, he would have lived through them and can give first hand experience.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Most important battle in British history ? on 09:06 - May 26 with 3550 viewschicoazul

Suez

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Most important battle in British history ? on 09:11 - May 26 with 3524 viewsnoggin

Playford Road?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Most important battle in British history ? on 09:14 - May 26 with 3505 viewsKeno

Most important battle in British history ? on 09:06 - May 26 by chicoazul

Suez

That really did mark 'end of Empire' didn't it

Most important battle in British history ? on 09:15 - May 26 with 3502 viewsKeno

Most important battle in British history ? on 09:11 - May 26 by noggin

Playford Road?

well obviously, devastation on a par with Hiroshima

Kesgarve will be a desolate wasteland for years
[Post edited 26 May 2021 9:15]

Most important battle in British history ? on 09:17 - May 26 with 3483 viewschicoazul

Most important battle in British history ? on 09:14 - May 26 by Keno

That really did mark 'end of Empire' didn't it

Yes, and a lot of other things!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Most important battle in British history ? on 09:25 - May 26 with 3455 viewsvilanovablue

Maybe the Roman invasion? I appreciate this wasn't really an individual battle per se.
Most important battle in British history ? on 09:30 - May 26 with 3442 viewsGeoffSentence

The Battle Of the River Idle

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

Most important battle in British history ? on 09:35 - May 26 with 3434 viewsMedwayTractor

Battle of Britain, if we lost, most of the world would be speaking German now.

Battle of Imphal, the high water mark of the Japanese forces and our victory prevented them from invading the sub-continent.

Battle of Normandy, which meant the eventual demise of the Thousand Year Reich, although, as we know, the only participants who mattered (to Hollywood, anyway) were the Yanks. The Canadians never get any credit, bearing in mind that they were allocated one of the five beaches on their own (plus some British support units, such as Royal Engineers). Also, the Canuks got furthest inland on D Day.

I take issue with you about the Yanks and the Falklands. I seem to remember that they were actively supporting the New World against the Old and doing their best to discourage us from doing anything but negotiating, which would most probably have result in grovelling capitulation.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Most important battle in British history ? on 09:36 - May 26 with 3427 viewsfooters

The Cod War, hands down.

Those slippery suckers put up one hell of a fight.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Most important battle in British history ? on 09:39 - May 26 with 3417 viewsPinewoodblue

Keeping it local

Solebay
Languard point
Colchester castle

Alternative suggestions

Bosworth Field
Trafalgar

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Most important battle in British history ? on 09:46 - May 26 with 3404 viewsKeno

Most important battle in British history ? on 09:35 - May 26 by MedwayTractor

Battle of Imphal, the high water mark of the Japanese forces and our victory prevented them from invading the sub-continent.

Battle of Normandy, which meant the eventual demise of the Thousand Year Reich, although, as we know, the only participants who mattered (to Hollywood, anyway) were the Yanks. The Canadians never get any credit, bearing in mind that they were allocated one of the five beaches on their own (plus some British support units, such as Royal Engineers). Also, the Canuks got furthest inland on D Day.

I take issue with you about the Yanks and the Falklands. I seem to remember that they were actively supporting the New World against the Old and doing their best to discourage us from doing anything but negotiating, which would most probably have result in grovelling capitulation.

From what I understand the US gave us a lot of intelligence and access to the satellite technology they had

There was as 'public' persona and private actions.

The US secretary of state was honoured by the Queen shortly afterwards for 'services to the crown'

Most important battle in British history ? on 09:47 - May 26 with 3403 viewsFtnfwest

Most important battle in British history ? on 09:35 - May 26 by MedwayTractor

there's lots of candidates across history but i guess the further back you go they diminish somewhat as it could be argued the passage of time would/may have meant that other battles/periods negated the ones before. For our current existence it's probably the Battle of Britain with Dunkirk roped in as part of that overall campaign. We were very close to surrender, but having chosen to fight would have had to have accepted occupation if we'd lost.
Most important battle in British history ? on 09:51 - May 26 with 3393 viewsKeno

Most important battle in British history ? on 09:39 - May 26 by Pinewoodblue

Keeping it local

Solebay
Languard point
Colchester castle

Alternative suggestions

Bosworth Field
Trafalgar

Bosworth is an interest shout, hadn't thought of that one

Most important battle in British history ? on 11:08 - May 26 with 3325 viewsEdwardStone

Most important battle in British history ? on 09:46 - May 26 by Keno

From what I understand the US gave us a lot of intelligence and access to the satellite technology they had

There was as 'public' persona and private actions.

The US secretary of state was honoured by the Queen shortly afterwards for 'services to the crown'

The U S also supplied logistical support at Ascension Island including insane amounts of aviation fuel....without which the outcome would have been very different
Most important battle in British history ? on 11:19 - May 26 with 3295 viewsDarth_Koont

Pablo vs. Kuqi 2004

Fierce fighting, hand-to-hand in some cases, but really all over by 2005 as Kuqi emerged victorious.

Pronouns: He/Him

Most important battle in British history ? on 11:55 - May 26 with 3258 viewsleitrimblue

Anglesey
Boyne
Watling street
Most important battle in British history ? on 11:56 - May 26 with 3254 viewsKeno

Most important battle in British history ? on 11:55 - May 26 by leitrimblue

Anglesey
Boyne
Watling street

Boyne was one I did think about adding to the original list as well as the Easter Rising

Most important battle in British history ? on 11:59 - May 26 with 3245 viewswubilyu

Battle of the Beanfields, 1985.

Trafalgar certainly has to go in there. Copenhagen, 1807. Maybe not the most famous but important to stop Napoleon from using the fleet of Denmark to invade the British Isles. Brutal at the time, like any war of course, the British bombarded the city with mortars.

The battle of Stilton Hill, 2021. Oh no, my mistake, I made that one up.
Most important battle in British history ? on 12:00 - May 26 with 3239 viewsjeera

Most important battle in British history ? on 09:30 - May 26 by GeoffSentence

The Battle Of the River Idle

Lazy response.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Most important battle in British history ? on 12:01 - May 26 with 3239 viewsIllinoisblue

Blur v Oasis mid 90s.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Most important battle in British history ? on 12:04 - May 26 with 3232 viewsGeoffSentence

Most important battle in British history ? on 12:00 - May 26 by jeera

Lazy response.

Jolly lucky that the defeated foe were too lazy to fight properly otherwise we would all be speaking northumbrian now.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Most important battle in British history ? on 12:06 - May 26 with 3222 viewsleitrimblue

Most important battle in British history ? on 11:56 - May 26 by Keno

Boyne was one I did think about adding to the original list as well as the Easter Rising

I sometimes think that the battle/slaughter in Anglesey in the days prior to the Boudiccan rebellion is possibly one of the most crucial turning points in UK history an culture. Obviously we still live with the repercussions of the Boyne now. Perhaps should have mentioned Easter rising, especially with the Sean Mac Diarmada connection
Most important battle in British history ? on 12:16 - May 26 with 3190 viewsKeno

Most important battle in British history ? on 12:06 - May 26 by leitrimblue

I sometimes think that the battle/slaughter in Anglesey in the days prior to the Boudiccan rebellion is possibly one of the most crucial turning points in UK history an culture. Obviously we still live with the repercussions of the Boyne now. Perhaps should have mentioned Easter rising, especially with the Sean Mac Diarmada connection

The Easter Rising is almost a text book example of how NOT to deal with a rebellion

are you related to Seán Mac Diarmada?

Most important battle in British history ? on 12:18 - May 26 with 3178 viewsleitrimblue

Most important battle in British history ? on 12:16 - May 26 by Keno

The Easter Rising is almost a text book example of how NOT to deal with a rebellion

are you related to Seán Mac Diarmada?

Unfortunately not. His restored house is just around the corner from me
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024