Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Personal Footie Nostalgia 11:03 - Jul 7 with 1875 viewsKeno

what are the first games you can really remember watching?

Me
Chelsea vs Leeds FA Cup Final replay 1970

1970 World Cup and wondering how on earth Brazil could play such a different form of football. The illusion shattered slightly when said to my dad "why dont we play like them' he simply replied 'all that faffing about gets so tedious why cant they just get it forward'

I also remember Colchester Leeds FA Cup game 1971 and a certain Ray Crawford

[Post edited 7 Jul 2021 11:23]

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 11:10 - Jul 7 with 1269 viewsleitrimblue

Arbroath v Celtic 1975
Personal Footie Nostalgia on 11:13 - Jul 7 with 1265 viewsFtnfwest

73 cup final (that probably gives you our age difference?) I can't remember individual town games before then because i hadn't been. Lived in Cambridge and dad was a weekend golfer and an armchair footy fan (leeds) so never took me until a few years later to see Camb Utd. So had to rely on uncle who was a ST holder, and took me v Leeds in 1975 & then Feyenoord. I can certainly remember wishing ITFC were in the cup final in 73 though!
Personal Footie Nostalgia on 11:23 - Jul 7 with 1238 viewsVaughan8

I remember that Newcastle at home game in the 91/92 promotion season. 3-2 Gavin Peacock scored their 2 goals. We they 2-0 up as well?

ALso the Liverpool cup game. Not sure which was first. I went to a fair few games that season but only really remember those and the last game vs Brighton really.

I know my first game was a 1-0 looss to Hull with bryan Gayle OG, but I don't remember any of that (or what year. Probably the year before?)
Personal Footie Nostalgia on 11:23 - Jul 7 with 1235 viewshype313

Liverpool Arsenal 89 is etched in my Memory.

Van Basten 88 Euro goal.

England v Holland 96 Euro's, was in Magaluf and the place went bonkers.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 11:27 - Jul 7 with 1224 viewsjudespiveyg

My first game was the Pablo Coventry game in January 2010 (I remember Colback's goal most vividly), but I definitely watched the game at Loftus Road on TV the previous season because Jon Stead definitely scored. I got a half season ticket not long after the Coventry game and went to all the Saturday games for the rest of the season, I remember a 0-0 vs Bristol City where Gerken played really well for them and I want to say we had a goal disallowed for throwing the ball straight into the net. I also remember watching Ipswich play Barnsley, Reading, Scunthorpe and Sheffield United.

Obviously that summer was the World Cup and that was definitely the first international football I followed. I loved the Spain kit and was staggered at how nice their football was (made the Keane-ball I had experienced seem less exciting than before), I still have a soft spot for Spain when it comes to football.

I feel like its common to get a soft spot for the international teams who were good when you're first getting into football, for me that Spain team and the 2014 Germany I still reminisce over, likewise my Dad still looks back fondly on the Cruyff Dutch teams.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2021 16:37]

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 11:45 - Jul 7 with 1178 viewsmidastouch

Saw Paul Gascoigne play against Oxford in the FA Cup in 1991, what a player! Will never forget it!
Oxford had a magic player that season too, Jim Magilton!

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 11:45 - Jul 7 with 1179 viewsgainsboroughblue

I think it was the 1979 Cup final. Its not even the dramatic last 5 minutes with all those goals that I remember most vividly about it either. I can remember my dad shouting that Willie Young should've been sent off for a professional foul.

My parents insist I was watching the cup final of 78 but I have no memory of it, only the parade in town.

Edit. Actually, that Young tackle may have been in 1980 v West Ham.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2021 11:48]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 11:47 - Jul 7 with 1161 viewsBiGDonnie

Euro 96. That game vs Germany. I cried.

Tonight we get redemption for that night, and I can't fookin wait.

COME ON ENGLAND

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 11:54 - Jul 7 with 1133 viewsSomethingBlue

Spain v Yugoslavia in Italia 90, I think it was the game before England v Belgium. First match I ever watched and was hooked from there.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 11:58 - Jul 7 with 1110 viewsmidastouch

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 11:45 - Jul 7 by midastouch

Saw Paul Gascoigne play against Oxford in the FA Cup in 1991, what a player! Will never forget it!

And when I was a kid I used to record a lot of games on video and watch them back. I remember recording England vs France and I think we lost 2-0 at Wembley. France had Tigana and Platini playing. They were exceptional. I believe Paul Walsh and Brian Stein might have played for England that night, they might have even been their debuts or at least a debut for one of them.
Another game that sticks in my mind is at the World Cup in Mexico 1986, Brazil vs France, it went to penalties. And of course England vs Argentina! One of the international games that hurts the most for me (and still sticks in my mind) is England losing on penalties in the 1990 World Cup. I really rated Waddle as a player and I was gutted to see him blaze his penalty over the bar.
And of course the Dutch at Euro 88, what a team they had then! Fond memories of Sensible Soccer on the Amiga with Rudd Gullit (with his trademark dreadlocks) on the front cover of the game!

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 12:01 - Jul 7 with 1102 viewsDouble_Dutch

The only time as kids, we used to wander down into the town and gain entry into the ground when the gates were opened for free during the second half of games, would have been about 73 or 74.

The first official full game that I attended, when taken by my father, was the UEFA Cup game against FC Bruges 22nd October 1975, sat in what now is the away section of the Cobbold stand and, can still vividly picture Gates goal at the Churchmans end.
Personal Footie Nostalgia on 12:02 - Jul 7 with 1100 viewsmidastouch

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 11:58 - Jul 7 by midastouch

And when I was a kid I used to record a lot of games on video and watch them back. I remember recording England vs France and I think we lost 2-0 at Wembley. France had Tigana and Platini playing. They were exceptional. I believe Paul Walsh and Brian Stein might have played for England that night, they might have even been their debuts or at least a debut for one of them.
Another game that sticks in my mind is at the World Cup in Mexico 1986, Brazil vs France, it went to penalties. And of course England vs Argentina! One of the international games that hurts the most for me (and still sticks in my mind) is England losing on penalties in the 1990 World Cup. I really rated Waddle as a player and I was gutted to see him blaze his penalty over the bar.
And of course the Dutch at Euro 88, what a team they had then! Fond memories of Sensible Soccer on the Amiga with Rudd Gullit (with his trademark dreadlocks) on the front cover of the game!

And the Brazil team of 1982, what a team even if they didn't win the World Cup in Spain. That team was like poetry in motion!

Some of these goals still stick out!

And the greatest World Cup for me was Mexico 86:

So many fantastic teams and goals at that World Cup!

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 12:07 - Jul 7 with 1078 viewsSE1blue

England 3 France 1 World Cup 1982.

Mariner and England starting an emotional relationship that’s lasted 39 years…

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 12:08 - Jul 7 with 1073 viewsgainsboroughblue

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 12:07 - Jul 7 by SE1blue

Was that the Robson 27 seconds game?

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 12:10 - Jul 7 with 1070 viewsmidastouch

Bryan Robson certainly didn't hang about in that game! Took him all of 27 seconds to score! :-)

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 12:10 - Jul 7 with 1066 viewsmidastouch

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 12:08 - Jul 7 by gainsboroughblue

Beat me to it, about 27 seconds quicker :-)

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 12:10 - Jul 7 with 1064 viewsSE1blue

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 12:08 - Jul 7 by gainsboroughblue

It was.

Would love the same tonight.

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 12:14 - Jul 7 with 1053 viewsFtnfwest

ran home after doing an o level exam to watch that
Personal Footie Nostalgia on 12:16 - Jul 7 with 1053 viewsPoultman

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 11:45 - Jul 7 by midastouch

Was at that game also with a Spurs friend, 4-2 if I remember correctly
Personal Footie Nostalgia on 12:27 - Jul 7 with 1030 viewsSE1blue

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 12:14 - Jul 7 by Ftnfwest

ran home after doing an o level exam to watch that

Ran home from primary school.

Can clearly remember eating peanut butter and jam on toast on the floor and thinking life was just great.

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 12:29 - Jul 7 with 1026 viewsTIB

I remember my first game at Town, about ten years old...lower Cobbold with my mum. I can't remember who we were playing but it sticks in my memory as we almost scored at one point and I dropped the "S" bomb as I missed my seat to sit back down...got a right telling off. Good times.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 12:48 - Jul 7 with 992 viewsFtnfwest

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 12:27 - Jul 7 by SE1blue

Ran home from primary school.

Can clearly remember eating peanut butter and jam on toast on the floor and thinking life was just great.

Then a couple of weeks later ran home to watch brazil v italy after another exam. Still the best match i think i've ever seen, although the germany v france semi came close (aside from Schumacher's assault on Battiston)
Personal Footie Nostalgia on 12:50 - Jul 7 with 989 viewsCrinkle59

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 12:29 - Jul 7 by TIB

I remember my first game at Town, about ten years old...lower Cobbold with my mum. I can't remember who we were playing but it sticks in my memory as we almost scored at one point and I dropped the "S" bomb as I missed my seat to sit back down...got a right telling off. Good times.

I hate to remind myself but 1939 against Reading with my dad , think score 3-1 but won't guarantee! best remembered mid 50's at Reading Ted got only away Hat trick. A free kick that left the keeper standing!
Personal Footie Nostalgia on 12:56 - Jul 7 with 973 viewsFather_Jack

1966 World Cup final. We watched at my gran's house because our TV had broken down.

Can still remember my dad saying "I knew it" when W Germany's first went in and saying "oh shut up" when Wolstenholme said "..and England are World Champions" at the end.

Miss you dad.

Less is more.

Personal Footie Nostalgia on 13:18 - Jul 7 with 939 viewsBluespeed225

71’ Cup Final first TV game, Sheffield Utd, April 72’ first ever Town game, but for first disappointment, I was allowed to stay up late(like a lot of kids will tonight) for England v Poland, 73’. First tears over football. We have a Polish lad at work who’s surname is Tomasevski…
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024