Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How easy is it to track down online trolls? 14:31 - Jul 12 with 2089 viewsMattinLondon

The actual subject of this post isn’t technically football but the context of it is so that’s why I have added it to the football threads.

The players who missed penalties last night have all been subjected to racist abuse on Twitter etc. I’m think the vast amount of abuse has been from anonymous accounts where a fake handle has been used and linked to the users alternative email address. Social Media companies have previously stated that it will be very hard to ban such users.

My question for any social media/ IT experts on here is - Is this actually the case? Or is it possible to track them down but it’ll simply take a lot of manpower?

Obviously such trolls can also be guilty of others forms of hatred such as homophobia etc not necessarily connected to football.

Thanks.
How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 14:35 - Jul 12 with 1624 viewswkj

In short, it is possible, but in many cases, it would require third parties to be complicit in the search if you are to do it legally.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 14:35 - Jul 12 with 1623 viewsPinewoodblue

Have seen comments that large numbers of the racist comments came from outside UK so guess they must be able to track them to a certain extent.

The big question is not can they do it but will they bother, as currently they are not under any legal obligation to do so.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 14:37 - Jul 12 with 1612 viewsPrice_1991

What needs to happen to stop this is that to set up an account on any social media platform you should have to give some form of ID, that way people couldn't set up different accounts just to post these vile comments to players or people in general. I also think that the government should look at bringing some form of custodial sentence in for people who are caught posting racist comments with it then showing up on any DBS checks in the future. We live in the 21st century in a multi cultural society so there is no room for racism.
How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 14:37 - Jul 12 with 1610 viewsElderGrizzly

Easily, depending on who is asking the question.

Of course you can have accounts from multiple users from multiple emails, but they all have a unique 'signature'.

Police/Intelligence services routinely access this, mostly for counter-terrorism purposes.
How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 14:38 - Jul 12 with 1598 viewsElderGrizzly

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 14:35 - Jul 12 by wkj

In short, it is possible, but in many cases, it would require third parties to be complicit in the search if you are to do it legally.

'Legally' is a key word there
How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 14:38 - Jul 12 with 1600 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

if you want to not be found then its very very easy to hide yourself online to such as extent that you will not ever be found.

That said, the people posting whatever it is they are posting are going to be very unlikely to be able to achieve that I shouldn't wonder.
How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 14:51 - Jul 12 with 1533 viewswkj

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 14:38 - Jul 12 by BlueBlueBluex2

if you want to not be found then its very very easy to hide yourself online to such as extent that you will not ever be found.

That said, the people posting whatever it is they are posting are going to be very unlikely to be able to achieve that I shouldn't wonder.

In some ways, this is true - but a LOT of VPN companies are selling a false narative- in fact, some of the bigger known ones aren't actually VPNs at all. If a VPN company is issued a subpoena, then your anonymity is as good as you wearing Bruce Willis' sign in DH With A Vengeance.

It is also getting easier to trace TOR users, although certainly not without effort and resources.

Crybaby

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 14:51 - Jul 12 with 1546 viewsXYZ

Login to get fewer ads

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 14:59 - Jul 12 with 1497 viewshomer_123

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 14:51 - Jul 12 by XYZ

Same person has Tweeted:

"Among those already identified from last night are three serving police officers (three different forces); accountants; property managers; estate agents; company directors; lecturers; armed forces; councillors.

It's not all thugs. In many cases it's professional people.
"

Apols for not being able to embed a Tweet.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 15:02 - Jul 12 with 1452 viewswkj

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 14:59 - Jul 12 by homer_123

Same person has Tweeted:

"Among those already identified from last night are three serving police officers (three different forces); accountants; property managers; estate agents; company directors; lecturers; armed forces; councillors.

"

White Collar Racists?

That's not a Priti thought to hold into - what a pain in the Johnson.

Crybaby

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 15:02 - Jul 12 with 1455 viewsXYZ

Same person has Tweeted:

"

"It's not all thugs. In many cases it's professional people."

"Professional people" can also, of course, be thugs. I've met a few.

apols, can't do italics ;)
How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 15:06 - Jul 12 with 1419 viewshomer_123

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 15:02 - Jul 12 by wkj

White Collar Racists?

That's not a Priti thought to hold into - what a pain in the Johnson.

I see what you've done there!

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 15:14 - Jul 12 with 1371 viewsBlueBadger

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 15:02 - Jul 12 by XYZ

"It's not all thugs. In many cases it's professional people."

"Professional people" can also, of course, be thugs. I've met a few.

apols, can't do italics ;)

Some would argue that soldiers and coppers ARE professional thugs...

*walks away whistling*

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 15:41 - Jul 12 with 1269 viewsitfcjoe

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 14:51 - Jul 12 by wkj

In some ways, this is true - but a LOT of VPN companies are selling a false narative- in fact, some of the bigger known ones aren't actually VPNs at all. If a VPN company is issued a subpoena, then your anonymity is as good as you wearing Bruce Willis' sign in DH With A Vengeance.

It is also getting easier to trace TOR users, although certainly not without effort and resources.

On Marcus Rashford's Instagram he has said somebody who has sent him a load of DMs of racist abuse has an open profile and is a teacher with 2 kids. Hopefully the authorities are alerted to this and that bloke loses his job - I wouldn't want my kids taught by such scum

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 15:42 - Jul 12 with 1251 viewschicoazul

Same person has Tweeted:

"

I’m very uneasy about this. It’s a form of vigilantism.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 15:44 - Jul 12 with 1242 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 14:51 - Jul 12 by wkj

If you believe that a VPN is sufficient to mask your identity, then the perpetrator has made their first mistake.
How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 15:44 - Jul 12 with 1245 viewsBlueBadger

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 15:42 - Jul 12 by chicoazul

Pretty sure being a witness to a crime and coming forward to tell police about it doesn't make you Batman.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 15:45 - Jul 12 with 1229 viewsfooters

I love the fact that many of them are that fcking dim they use their actual name and photo on their profile. And then go on to say things like that.

What a fecking way to think and act. Total scumbags.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 15:53 - Jul 12 with 1183 viewsitfcjoe

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 15:42 - Jul 12 by chicoazul

I understand that to a point, and there is a line which seems too often be in the wrong place re seeing someone get 'cancelled' because they've done something untowards and all of a sudden are tracked down etc. Often those matters are just things that should go straight to the authorities and be left.

We have a maintenance contract with a large pub chain, one of our equivalents in the south of the country had one of their workers (without permission) driving a company van on a weekend and try and run a cyclist off the road. Was picked up by Jeremy Vine etc, and they were bombarded as a company, all their contracts were written into, health and safety contracts cancelled etc and caused them so much damage, WHen when they saw the video they sacked the bloke.....

But there will always be a line somewhere, and using accounts to bombard people with racism is criminal, and if it means people lose jobs because of it then so be it. They need to go and think about how they have acted and change their viewpoints and behaviours

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 16:06 - Jul 12 with 1113 viewsGeoffSentence

Same person has Tweeted:

"

Professional people can be thugs.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 16:07 - Jul 12 with 1111 viewshomer_123

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 16:06 - Jul 12 by GeoffSentence

Professional people can be thugs.

Those in senior positions often get there by riding roughshod over others.

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 16:11 - Jul 12 with 1099 viewschicoazul

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 15:44 - Jul 12 by BlueBadger

Pretty sure being a witness to a crime and coming forward to tell police about it doesn't make you Batman.

What about telling their employers?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 16:14 - Jul 12 with 1077 viewsXYZ

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 16:11 - Jul 12 by chicoazul

This bloke had his employer's name in his profile ...
How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 16:21 - Jul 12 with 1031 viewschicoazul

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 16:14 - Jul 12 by XYZ

This bloke had his employer's name in his profile ...

Yes.

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 16:21 - Jul 12 with 1028 viewsBlueBadger

How easy is it to track down online trolls? on 16:11 - Jul 12 by chicoazul

He had his employer's name in his profile. It's quite likely his employer saw it themselves.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024