Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I wouldn't want to be Newcastle 09:04 - Oct 8 with 2354 viewsBluefish

I've said this before about Wolves and City. It just doesn't appeal to me to change a football club that much overnight. The whole identity disappears because the current cannot relate to the history, the soul vanishes in an instant. I would prefer to be a battling Championship club than a global giant.

Some will think this is crazy because Sky has drummed into them that football is about money and trophies but it isn't for me. Football is about good times and bad times and a connection to the club. If we say it is all about money and elite success then the lower leagues and non league game might as well not exist and a super league replace it.

I feel more connection to non league than I do to the Premier league. I would rather watch an academy player than a 5 million pound signing

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 09:10 - Oct 8 with 2037 viewsElephantintheRoom

Not sure if that is a joke or not - seeing as Town have sold themselves down the offshore river as well. The only difference is that instead of being an Islamic toy, Town are a column in a spreadsheet of an Ohio property fund manager who was recently to be found enthusing about firing rockets into Palestine. The spirit of the Cobbolds will be large doubles as they turn in their graves.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 09:11 - Oct 8 with 2029 viewsBluefish

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 09:10 - Oct 8 by ElephantintheRoom

Not sure if that is a joke or not - seeing as Town have sold themselves down the offshore river as well. The only difference is that instead of being an Islamic toy, Town are a column in a spreadsheet of an Ohio property fund manager who was recently to be found enthusing about firing rockets into Palestine. The spirit of the Cobbolds will be large doubles as they turn in their graves.

Why do you post on here? I have never posted on wotb let alone weirdly pretended to be a scum fan for weird kicks

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 09:12 - Oct 8 with 2028 viewsITFC_Forever

Football is indeed about good times - are winning trophies not going to generate good times?

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 09:14 - Oct 8 with 2010 viewstextbackup

With our backing in L1 are we not a mini version of those teams?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 09:16 - Oct 8 with 1986 viewsBluefish

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 09:12 - Oct 8 by ITFC_Forever

Football is indeed about good times - are winning trophies not going to generate good times?

Some people believe that and they also believe good times are breaking transfer records. I live for random away days and a 90th minute winner and bodies flying over seats in celebration.

If the trophies mean destroying the identity of the club then you can keep them. The play off final was incredible because of the years of effort and failure but the way we kept trying despite expecting to fall short.

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 09:21 - Oct 8 with 1957 viewsElephantintheRoom

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 09:16 - Oct 8 by Bluefish

Some people believe that and they also believe good times are breaking transfer records. I live for random away days and a 90th minute winner and bodies flying over seats in celebration.

If the trophies mean destroying the identity of the club then you can keep them. The play off final was incredible because of the years of effort and failure but the way we kept trying despite expecting to fall short.

I'll try again. Do you not think that being the plaything of three (or two) Americans who borrowed some cash from a pension in Arizona and handed control to a property fund in Arizona is a change in identity for a small town club in Suffolk?

The franchise berars no relation whatsoever to the club of last year, let alone the Cobbolds

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 09:28 - Oct 8 with 1935 viewsBluefish

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 09:21 - Oct 8 by ElephantintheRoom

I'll try again. Do you not think that being the plaything of three (or two) Americans who borrowed some cash from a pension in Arizona and handed control to a property fund in Arizona is a change in identity for a small town club in Suffolk?

The franchise berars no relation whatsoever to the club of last year, let alone the Cobbolds

Go back to your own board, it is so weird

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 09:28 - Oct 8 with 1929 viewsBluefish

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 09:14 - Oct 8 by textbackup

To a degree yes and I meant to put that in my post. It doesn't completely sit comfortably with me

Login to get fewer ads

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 09:29 - Oct 8 with 1934 viewsMookamoo

My Step-father is a Chelsea fan, born and bred in Hammersmith. He really struggled with the early Abramovich years. He did make the point that you are stuck with your club no matter what direction they go in.

The sudden influx of money comes with expectations which are impossible to live up to. He has seen the likes of Lukaku (first stint) Salah, Torres and now Werner etc be real disappointments and every season without a trophy is seen as a bad one.

I wouldn't want to be a fan of Spurs or Arsenal at the moment. If Newcastle do have the money that is suggested they are effectively battling for 5th maximum
I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 09:29 - Oct 8 with 1926 viewsFtnfwest

it is making me smile at the moment when their fans are going on about how they want the younger fans to experience something like the keegan years again....when they still didn't actually win anything
I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 09:32 - Oct 8 with 1909 viewsMookamoo

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 09:29 - Oct 8 by Ftnfwest

it is making me smile at the moment when their fans are going on about how they want the younger fans to experience something like the keegan years again....when they still didn't actually win anything

Yes, but they were competing and playing exciting football. That must what any fan really wants. If they're OK with accepting how that is achieved and who they now are, then good luck to them.
I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 09:40 - Oct 8 with 1846 viewsFtnfwest

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 09:32 - Oct 8 by Mookamoo

Yes, but they were competing and playing exciting football. That must what any fan really wants. If they're OK with accepting how that is achieved and who they now are, then good luck to them.

Well indeed, it'll be interesting first and foremost to see who the new manager ends up being as it could be a tricky season for them this year even/especially with a change.
I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 09:42 - Oct 8 with 1837 viewsitfcjoe

Have we not done that here this season, but on a smaller scale? We've got rid of players with hundreds of appearances in Chambers, Skuse and Sears - plus academy players who have broken through in Dozzell, Downes and Bishop. Woolfie would have gone to if we didn't need him to make up the squad numbers.

Last week not a single homegrown player in the 18, and that will no doubt happen frequently this season unless Idris can really kick on. If it wasn't for Bonne and his love of Ipswich there'd be no real representation of those with a long standing relationship with the club.

Football changes when you can no longer get tickets for the games you want to go to, when you don't recognise the faces around you in the ground, or on the train to the game or in the pub beforehand. Newcastle is so out on it's ear geographically they may be able to avoid what happens to the London clubs post takeover.

Winning games is fun, winning promotions, leagues and cups is too - football teams can still be representative of towns, cities, counties and communities but it isn't a given and takes hard work. The Saudi's will likely do more of this work than Ashley ever did, and improve the area with investment etc and turn it back into the hub of the region as it should be (and we should be)

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 09:47 - Oct 8 with 1788 viewstractorboy1978

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 09:14 - Oct 8 by textbackup

Fans up and down the country are guilty of it. I remember the notes being waved at Carrow Road when Evans came in and only months ago people were getting stiffy over Mark Steed tweeting they had assets of $13bn and cash of $700m.

Football has become a monetary dick measuring contest. 'Winning' the transfer window is as important as actually winning football matches and you have SkySports gleefully counting as spending for the summer window goes over the £1bn mark. A press/selection of fans that have no qualms lampooning Norwich for not over spending, whilst also reporting on/criticising Derby for overspending at the same time - it's sad really.
I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 09:47 - Oct 8 with 1787 viewsWickets

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 09:16 - Oct 8 by Bluefish

If you are ever standing near me please don't throw me over the seats in celebration !
I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 09:58 - Oct 8 with 1730 viewsMookamoo

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 09:47 - Oct 8 by Wickets

If you are ever standing near me please don't throw me over the seats in celebration !

I think the Dozzell goal at Anfield is is my top 5 moments. Ended up 5 rows lower that I had started.

You still get those moments when you have money. Aguerooooooooooo
I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 10:03 - Oct 8 with 1708 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Where's this rocket thing come from? Who are you referring to?

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 10:36 - Oct 8 with 1622 viewsN2_Blue

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 09:29 - Oct 8 by Mookamoo

My Step-father is a Chelsea fan, born and bred in Hammersmith. He really struggled with the early Abramovich years. He did make the point that you are stuck with your club no matter what direction they go in.

The sudden influx of money comes with expectations which are impossible to live up to. He has seen the likes of Lukaku (first stint) Salah, Torres and now Werner etc be real disappointments and every season without a trophy is seen as a bad one.

I wouldn't want to be a fan of Spurs or Arsenal at the moment. If Newcastle do have the money that is suggested they are effectively battling for 5th maximum

Lukakau and Salah were not disappointments - Mourinho just proved he's not a very good manager in terms of developing footballers as been proven at every club he has been at. He can only deliver immediate success through buying players, he can't develop a team over time. He is short termist manager

You can also add De Bruyne to that list

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 10:55 - Oct 8 with 1569 viewsBluefields

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 10:36 - Oct 8 by N2_Blue

Lukakau and Salah were not disappointments - Mourinho just proved he's not a very good manager in terms of developing footballers as been proven at every club he has been at. He can only deliver immediate success through buying players, he can't develop a team over time. He is short termist manager

Varane? Balotelli? Lampard? Drogba? Cole? Duff? Robben?
Just quickly off top of my head who all developed and improved under Mourinho
I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 11:06 - Oct 8 with 1538 viewsMookamoo

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 10:36 - Oct 8 by N2_Blue

Lukaku and Salah, plus de Bruyne, were disappointing at Chelsea compared to what they became elsewhere. Werner will go somewhere else and become great. Same for Kepa. Step-father has just gotten very tired of seeing big money being spent on players that just become average. Newcastle fans had better accept that quickly.

Interesting they did play Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek and Hudson-Odoi last weekend. Goes back to Bluefish's original point about getting more satisfaction watching 'your own'.
I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 11:19 - Oct 8 with 1488 viewsJammyDodgerrr

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 11:06 - Oct 8 by Mookamoo

Lukaku and Salah, plus de Bruyne, were disappointing at Chelsea compared to what they became elsewhere. Werner will go somewhere else and become great. Same for Kepa. Step-father has just gotten very tired of seeing big money being spent on players that just become average. Newcastle fans had better accept that quickly.

Interesting they did play Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek and Hudson-Odoi last weekend. Goes back to Bluefish's original point about getting more satisfaction watching 'your own'.

Lukaku played ten times in three years in his first stint. KDB played three times in three years. Salah played 15 times in two years. Hard to call them disappointing when they basically didn't feature.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 11:23 - Oct 8 with 1472 viewsMookamoo

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 11:19 - Oct 8 by JammyDodgerrr

Lukaku played ten times in three years in his first stint. KDB played three times in three years. Salah played 15 times in two years. Hard to call them disappointing when they basically didn't feature.

My point is, as fan of a club that suddenly has money, it can be just as frustrating supporting your club as a fan of a club with no money and lower exceptions. Try to look at the context of the post.
I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 11:24 - Oct 8 with 1476 viewsOldboy

Many Man City fans felt the same at the time, doubt they do now. Once you choose your club, it stays with you for life.
I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 11:25 - Oct 8 with 1469 viewsRyorry

Not sure I've ever said this before! but I 100% agree with you.

If we'd been taken over by the Saudis, I'd have stopped supporting us, because we'd have become a club 180 degree pole opposite to the one I fell in love with in the 1970s - Cobbolds, family friendly etc.

To the elephant in the room -
Yes the US consortium are a long way from the Cobbold era - but they are still not a regime that tortures & imprisons people for disagreeing with them, that has butchered a journalist for doing his job, and, which according to Amnesty International, is a regular breaker of fundamental human rights.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

I wouldn't want to be Newcastle on 11:30 - Oct 8 with 1429 viewschicoazul

Nerdy tell me more about this Palestine thing

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024