Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... 08:49 - Dec 14 with 1898 viewsWhataday78

Can someone please tell me what style of football his teams play?
If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 08:52 - Dec 14 with 1722 viewshomer_123

I really don't give a sh*t about the style of fecking football. We really need to move on from this notion of 'playing the Ipswich way'. We haven't done this or been that Club for over 15 years.

We need OUT of this division, end of. I don't give a rats arse how we do it. Sh*thousery and hoofball, bring it on.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2021 8:54]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 08:53 - Dec 14 with 1700 viewsBluetaff

Was just looking this up, he plays a direct and physical game. His teams record low possession percentages. Personally this doesn't feel like a good fit for the squad we have built

Blog: The National Conundrum

If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 08:53 - Dec 14 with 1698 viewsSomethingBlue

Fairly direct so far although I'd argue that at Millwall, at least, that's what is demanded and he knew the club exceptionally well and delivered it very well. I watched a bit of his Cardiff side in their play-off season and, again, quite direct but a rattling high tempo when they were at their best and got a lot of shots off/asked a lot of questions. How he operates with a more "technical" squad of players is yet to be seen really, not sure he's ever really had one.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2021 8:53]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 08:53 - Dec 14 with 1679 viewsBseaBlue

If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 08:52 - Dec 14 by homer_123

I really don't give a sh*t about the style of fecking football. We really need to move on from this notion of 'playing the Ipswich way'. We haven't done this or been that Club for over 15 years.

We need OUT of this division, end of. I don't give a rats arse how we do it. Sh*thousery and hoofball, bring it on.

Exactly! I would take 'Wycombe ball' for the remainder of the season if it meant we could get promoted! We can re-evaluate how we go from there once we are in the Championship.
If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 08:54 - Dec 14 with 1667 viewstractor_lady

He plays to the strengths of his squads - not sure he has had a team quite like ours before so time will tell. I am happy with the appointment.. all this talk of having a low bar who the hell do people expect to come here, Klop? If true he is a fairly young previously successful manager, what’s so wrong with that?
If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 08:55 - Dec 14 with 1653 viewsjayessess

A Millwall-supporting friend "I hope you like your football 'agricultural'". But f-ck it, we've spent 3 years allegedly playing it out from the back and never looked anywhere near being able to consistently move the ball forward that way. Maybe, direct is what we need?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 08:56 - Dec 14 with 1638 viewsKidKlugs

If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 08:53 - Dec 14 by Bluetaff

Was just looking this up, he plays a direct and physical game. His teams record low possession percentages. Personally this doesn't feel like a good fit for the squad we have built

A good fit for l1 though and that's what's needed
If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 08:57 - Dec 14 with 1620 viewsthebooks

As long as it’s the “win more than one in three games and not draw 2-2 all the time to teams like Morecambe” style, I will be happy.

Agree with the poster about the “Ipswich way”. Be nice to see us win a lot in the third tier of football. Not too much to ask.
Login to get fewer ads

If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 08:59 - Dec 14 with 1593 viewsBluetaff

If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 08:56 - Dec 14 by KidKlugs

A good fit for l1 though and that's what's needed

It is yes and I guess we have to realise the level we are at, my fear is that we may end up with a manager suited to understand L1 but not necessarily the right squad.

We lurch from one decision to another without any real progress.

Blog: The National Conundrum

If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 09:03 - Dec 14 with 1504 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

No one knows what style he might choose to play with this squad. If appointed.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 09:04 - Dec 14 with 1492 viewsblueconscience

His teams play an inferior form of Mick hoofball which a vast majority of the fans on here despised.

Oh, it will be interesting on here should he get the job

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 09:04 - Dec 14 with 1478 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

A manager not obsessed with meaningless possession? How refreshing.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 09:06 - Dec 14 with 1446 viewsChurchman

We haven’t built a squad. We’ve thrown a load of players together who for all sorts of reasons haven’t formed a decent solid team. Adding a bit of physical might just allow the better players that remain to play.

There is nothing wrong with direct football. Robsons pre 1980 teams played it and it was fine. It’s when it turns into aimless hoofball it’s not fine. For me, there’s a difference.
If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 09:06 - Dec 14 with 1427 viewsFenland_Blue

Dig out your McCarthy neck brace.

Up and mainly down, following Town since 88

If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 09:15 - Dec 14 with 1373 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 09:04 - Dec 14 by blueconscience

His teams play an inferior form of Mick hoofball which a vast majority of the fans on here despised.

Oh, it will be interesting on here should he get the job

Ridiculous post. A lot of people slagging off Harris have no idea what his "style" of football is. And more importantly, have blue tinted spectacles about the style ITFC should be playing. We are being done time and again this season by teams with "lesser" players who feign fouls, win set pieces in dangerous positions, chuck long throws in, and generally out muscle us. Here we are in 12th place. Celina's goal of the month was a beautiful long ball - 50yds, from Edmundson. We need to do whatever it takes to win games and get points on the board to get out of this damned league. Harris knows how to do that. Let's save the beautiful football for when we are in the Premier League.

Poll: would you rather

If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 09:18 - Dec 14 with 1352 viewsitfcjoe

If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 09:06 - Dec 14 by Churchman

We haven’t built a squad. We’ve thrown a load of players together who for all sorts of reasons haven’t formed a decent solid team. Adding a bit of physical might just allow the better players that remain to play.

There is nothing wrong with direct football. Robsons pre 1980 teams played it and it was fine. It’s when it turns into aimless hoofball it’s not fine. For me, there’s a difference.

This squad can play any way it needs too - it's deep, it's talented and it is versatile.

It may not get the best out of some of the players, but no formation/style will - there will always be some who don't fit

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 09:21 - Dec 14 with 1281 viewsDarkHorse

Why?

Wait and see, ffs. All this pre-judging is ridiculous.
If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 09:34 - Dec 14 with 1219 viewsthebooks

If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 09:18 - Dec 14 by itfcjoe

This squad can play any way it needs too - it's deep, it's talented and it is versatile.

It may not get the best out of some of the players, but no formation/style will - there will always be some who don't fit

Yes. For example, the assumption Celina won’t fit a more “direct” style is probably wrong – if we get the ball to him more quickly or he picks up knock-downs further up the pitch, it may be a good thing.
If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 09:46 - Dec 14 with 1146 viewsclive_baker

They defintely were direct at Millwall, although I really hate this misconception that direct, less possession based football is some how more boring. They got the ball from back to front much quicker, had 2 up front (Morison & Gregory for the most part) who formed a proper centre forward partnership, were horrible to play against, relentlessly busy and created. What you'll tend to find is less possession, less absolute passes completed, with more direct passing when in possession, hitting the channels and giving the front 2 plenty to work off. I think in Bonne, Norwood, Pigott we've got the players for him. More shots, and more football in the right areas. Robust defensively, creativity wide and forwards who can score goals. I don't think our squad is lacking the players for Harris at all.

If people want to crow over possession stats and get any enjoyment out of seeing our back 4 pass it between them under no pressure before generally lacking any ideas in the opposition half then perhaps it's not a style for you. Whether it's Harris or not, I'm keen to move towards a more direct approach which doesn't equal bad football by any stretch.

McGreal too us a step closer to that style at Wigan on Saturday, albeit early days for him. We need to be tighter at the back and less cute about it all than we were under Cook.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 09:48 - Dec 14 with 1137 viewsjayessess

If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 09:18 - Dec 14 by itfcjoe

There's an abiding assumption that being more direct is dependent on having a massive battering ram centre forward who wins every header but it's far more about positional play and tactics.

It's about where the direct balls are going, what positions your supporting players are taking up, who's good at keeping the ball, what you're doing when you get good possession in the final third.

Rotherham crushed us by getting the ball forward early, but none of their chances were generated by winning an aerial duel against a big defender.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 09:56 - Dec 14 with 1073 viewsRadlett_blue

If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 09:48 - Dec 14 by jayessess

There's an abiding assumption that being more direct is dependent on having a massive battering ram centre forward who wins every header but it's far more about positional play and tactics.

It's about where the direct balls are going, what positions your supporting players are taking up, who's good at keeping the ball, what you're doing when you get good possession in the final third.

Rotherham crushed us by getting the ball forward early, but none of their chances were generated by winning an aerial duel against a big defender.

Yes, Rotherham totally outplayed us by moving the ball quickly when they had it & getting a decent ball into the box as soon as an opportunity presented itself. The reluctance to deliver an early ball has been one of the obvious failings of the Cook era. There is more to "direct" football than continually lumping the ball upfield towards a battering ram centre forward in the Akinfenwa mould.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 10:01 - Dec 14 with 983 viewsblu_dru

"nice" football and possession means nothing when we aren't getting any shots on goal. We are always out fought and need to do whatever it takes to get out of league one.
If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 10:02 - Dec 14 with 982 viewsFevsBCFC

If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 09:46 - Dec 14 by clive_baker

They defintely were direct at Millwall, although I really hate this misconception that direct, less possession based football is some how more boring. They got the ball from back to front much quicker, had 2 up front (Morison & Gregory for the most part) who formed a proper centre forward partnership, were horrible to play against, relentlessly busy and created. What you'll tend to find is less possession, less absolute passes completed, with more direct passing when in possession, hitting the channels and giving the front 2 plenty to work off. I think in Bonne, Norwood, Pigott we've got the players for him. More shots, and more football in the right areas. Robust defensively, creativity wide and forwards who can score goals. I don't think our squad is lacking the players for Harris at all.

If people want to crow over possession stats and get any enjoyment out of seeing our back 4 pass it between them under no pressure before generally lacking any ideas in the opposition half then perhaps it's not a style for you. Whether it's Harris or not, I'm keen to move towards a more direct approach which doesn't equal bad football by any stretch.

McGreal too us a step closer to that style at Wigan on Saturday, albeit early days for him. We need to be tighter at the back and less cute about it all than we were under Cook.

Yep, no harm with direct football. Can be just as entertaining, as if done well leads to lots of penalty area action.

You don’t necessarily need a big target man, but you do need forwards willing to run channels, put centre-backs under pressure aerially, etc. Bonne at Charlton (with Lyle Taylor)did just that, was a bit of a pest. Chaplin did it with Woodrow or Jacob Brown at Barnsley. It meant he didn’t get in the box enough, but he was part of a team ethic that was very good over the last 2 seasons. Norwood from the bits I’ve seen of him would look to be a Harris-type player.

And that’s what you team, a team, not good individuals that don’t gel. But the forwards will be the ones to make it work for you…or not.

If it his Harris I think he will get a system working fairly quickly. There will be some players it doesn’t suit, but if you can get enough of your undoubtedly talented individuals to buy into his way of playing, then Direct with a bit of quality can tame you places. Tough ask this season, but teams do get on rolls (Blackpool???).

He might not be who you originally thought you’d get, but he has success at this level, and did well with Millwall, then Cardiff….got them to the playoffs on the Championship. He is no mug, just a bit unfashionable.

Your priority is to get out of this division. Worry about the Chanpionship when you get there.
If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 10:03 - Dec 14 with 958 viewsThe_Realist_09

If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 08:52 - Dec 14 by homer_123

I'm sure this is the sort of debate our higher ups will be having now. Do we try to build an identity and go up with this identity implemented when/if we go up, or do we try and change it up.

My issue with Harris' style of football is, you have to get results, and pretty quickly. Positive results can carry the style, if the results start to dry up, or don't get going quickly, there's not much for the fans to get behind and things can turn quickly. See MM.
If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 10:11 - Dec 14 with 903 viewsitfcjoe

If I have to come to terms with Neil Harris... on 09:46 - Dec 14 by clive_baker

Some of the football we played in 14/15 under MIck was the best stuff we've seen in a long time - when you van get your team showing relentless energy, when going a goal down doesn't feel a big issue because you will come back, and when you just overrun teams it is fun to watch - it's not something we've done enough of.

Football is fun when shots rain down on the opposition goal, not when you tap it around at the back.

Our squad can play any style really, and whichever we choose some will fall by the way side - but to think having Bonne and Norwood up front in this league isn't going to cause issues is mad - when we had Norwood and Jackson up front teams couldn't cope

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024