Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa 13:49 - Feb 25 with 1568 viewsSTYG

I was thinking about the recent performances of Jackson (and Woolfy to a degree - who most of us rated when Cook didn't) and it got me on to players that fans have largely written off or have been frozen out that then went on to greatness at the club or at least put in some really good performances when their time at the club looked up.

The most obvious one for me is Taricco. One of the worst debuts I have ever seen in a home thrashing from a team a division below to becoming a club legend.

It's not impossible (bear with me) that given the form of Bonne and Norwood that something goes in off Piggott's arse and he ends up going on a little run and being a play-off hero. That may just be wishful thinking.

The other side of the coin are people like Paz, Civella, Bullard (permanent), Le Pen, Finidi (I still think he did alright) and Sereni (given the fee paid) that to different degrees we thought would be brilliant and were far from it.

Jonas Axeldal was the one I was convinced would be epic, given his ridiculous scoring record for the reserves and it just never happened. See also David Johnson II in the Premier League.
ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 13:55 - Feb 25 with 1321 viewsCheltenham_Blue

"Something goes off in Pigotts arse"

Interesting vernacular there

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 13:56 - Feb 25 with 1325 viewsCoastalblue

I say this with every one of these threads, but I was convinced Stuart Slater was going to become a legend for us.

I wonder if more was expected from Kevin O’Callaghan? I was fairly young when we signed him and probably blinded by the amazing football and footballers I was watching.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 13:58 - Feb 25 with 1307 viewsKeno

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 13:56 - Feb 25 by Coastalblue

I say this with every one of these threads, but I was convinced Stuart Slater was going to become a legend for us.

I wonder if more was expected from Kevin O’Callaghan? I was fairly young when we signed him and probably blinded by the amazing football and footballers I was watching.

poor old O'Cally was never the same after he broke his broke arm

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 13:58 - Feb 25 with 1304 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Sereni is def on my zero list having listened to the recent Burley interview!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 14:00 - Feb 25 with 1298 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I was the same. We played Leeds once and he kept out pacing Gary Kelly who was one of the fastest full backs around at the time. I think I just based his potential on his pace.

(Nice guy though, he did send me a signed poster when I wrote to him!)

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 14:00 - Feb 25 with 1297 viewsCoastalblue

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 13:58 - Feb 25 by Keno

I'm guessing they didn't manage it in one take?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 14:00 - Feb 25 with 1297 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 13:58 - Feb 25 by Keno

....Ah yes, broken arms ruin many a career... ;-)

Edit: Sorry, didnt know he was a keeper!!... and the Escape from Victory reference!

Ill woooooosh myself.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2022 14:02]

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 14:00 - Feb 25 with 1294 viewsSTYG

I don't know whether it would have been worse for Slater to be completely useless the whole time or to have scored that goal against Sheffield United where you were left thinking 'if only'.

A proper glimpse of what he could do.

I suppose Chopra has to be added to my original list as well. Expected he'd fire us up, started well but what a nightmare than became.
Login to get fewer ads

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 14:06 - Feb 25 with 1260 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Josh Carson?

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 14:09 - Feb 25 with 1252 viewsCoastalblue

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 14:06 - Feb 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

Josh Carson?

Good shout, not sure he quite achieved the hero status, but looked to be on the way to it. Another talent wasted.

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 14:09 - Feb 25 with 1248 viewsFrimleyBlue

Wasn't Gazza rejected by Sir Bobby for being to small? he ended up alright lol.

But contracted town players - Matt Richards, a fan fav for many, but never actually did anything, same as Ian Westlake

Dean Bowditch... started off as a hero youngster... just didn't happen for him

Richard Wright - hero for town, Back up keeper for Arsenal, Everton, Man City, not a bad career no, but deserved so much more

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 14:12 - Feb 25 with 1235 viewsCoastalblue

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 14:09 - Feb 25 by FrimleyBlue

But contracted town players - Matt Richards, a fan fav for many, but never actually did anything, same as Ian Westlake

Richard Wright - hero for town, Back up keeper for Arsenal, Everton, Man City, not a bad career no, but deserved so much more

I thought Richards was a decent player for us, I know he split the fanbase but I thought he did well generally.

Westlake was OK, never thought he was terrible but perhaps a little over lauded at times, went on to nothing didn't he? Did you know he could swim?

Again, not sure either really achieved hero status before slipping?

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 14:14 - Feb 25 with 1233 views66notout

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 14:09 - Feb 25 by FrimleyBlue

Not sure Plug deserved more. The moves were all down to him wanting to sign - nobody forced him. He probably should have achieved more but that's down to him as well.
ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 14:21 - Feb 25 with 1221 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Ward, hat trick on debut.

At last the MF maestro we've been looking for.

What a comedown

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 14:24 - Feb 25 with 1206 viewsScottishTractorBoy

Ulrich Le Pen didn't exactly have the best debut for us.
ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 14:33 - Feb 25 with 1163 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 14:21 - Feb 25 by BlueandTruesince82

Ward, hat trick on debut.

At last the MF maestro we've been looking for.

What a comedown

Didnt he come on a second half sub too? Or did I imagine that?

If you're on a brace on your debut and through on goal.... youre best advised to miss!

A hat trick on your debut is impossible to live up to.

(Rooney aside maybe!)

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 14:35 - Feb 25 with 1151 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 14:14 - Feb 25 by 66notout

Not sure Plug deserved more. The moves were all down to him wanting to sign - nobody forced him. He probably should have achieved more but that's down to him as well.

Personally I hold no grudge against him for backing himself and joining a stellar Arsenal squad at the time. Cant imagine many players turning that down.

I think the aim of the move was to be successor to safe hands at Arsenal and England.

Hindsight is great though.

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 14:40 - Feb 25 with 1133 viewsITFC_Forever

Johnno II was unlucky in the Prem... Barthez made a genuinely world class save in the 1-1 draw with Man U near the start of the season, Johnno hit woodwork a few times, and also had some other 'keepers make extraordinary saves from him in the opening months of the 2000-01 season.
Stewart then caught fire and Johnno was the one who suffered as a result.

David Johnson II is still one of the most important players the club has had in recent history (last 30 or so years) - Burley brought him in when we were struggling and he hit form immediately, scoring in a 1-1 draw away at Wolves, and was the catalyst for the play-off charges of the Burley years.
He also weighed a bloody ton - when we all ran on the pitch after the Bolton PO Semi win, me and another guy pick him up on our shoulders and tried to carry him off the pitch. We got halfway down the pitch and gave up and let the stewards rescue him.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2022 14:40]

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 14:46 - Feb 25 with 1091 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Jaime Peters.

That hype!!

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 17:29 - Feb 25 with 967 viewsEastTownBlue

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 14:40 - Feb 25 by ITFC_Forever

Johnno II was unlucky in the Prem... Barthez made a genuinely world class save in the 1-1 draw with Man U near the start of the season, Johnno hit woodwork a few times, and also had some other 'keepers make extraordinary saves from him in the opening months of the 2000-01 season.
Stewart then caught fire and Johnno was the one who suffered as a result.

David Johnson II is still one of the most important players the club has had in recent history (last 30 or so years) - Burley brought him in when we were struggling and he hit form immediately, scoring in a 1-1 draw away at Wolves, and was the catalyst for the play-off charges of the Burley years.
He also weighed a bloody ton - when we all ran on the pitch after the Bolton PO Semi win, me and another guy pick him up on our shoulders and tried to carry him off the pitch. We got halfway down the pitch and gave up and let the stewards rescue him.
[Post edited 25 Feb 2022 14:40]

Yes he was very unlucky early on. By his own admission while good friends off the pitch he and Stewart just didn’t work as a striking partnership on the field. I wish we had him here for that second PL season.
ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 22:25 - Feb 25 with 843 viewsBigCommon

It's got to happen, surely? That, one of our strikers, hits a little purple patch.. I don't mind who, either..
In all of their defences, it must be that little bit more difficult, to find some rhythm, with the front 3 are being rotated, so often.
Be a great story, if either Bonne or Piggot, was "the one", that fired us to the PO's, and beyond..
I believe, that it could still happen..
ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 23:06 - Feb 25 with 812 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Aside from those already mentioned, hero to zero Paz, Priskin, Parkin and Chopra. Zero to hero, Pablo!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 00:29 - Feb 26 with 774 viewsSuperblue95

Surely Donacien is the best recent example of zero to hero?

JET is another good shout for the reverse. Easily the most exciting and talented player I’ve ever seen play for us but ultimately never put it to much use. That said it was fun watching him smack a 45 yarder off the post on a regular basis.

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 00:53 - Feb 26 with 763 viewsyorkshire

Some good shouts for hero to zero - Ward and Bowditch showing what expectations can be like when you score a first game hatrick

Titus Bramble hasn’t had a mention and to be fair forged a pretty decent career but when he first started out with us i think a lot of people thought he was going to be extra special - similar to when Wickham burst onto the scene - both of them were doing things that we didn’t see kids normally do

Another chap who I thought would have more of a career with us was Cotter - after his debut I think quite a few people expected him to push on

In terms of players probably did better than originally expected - I think Scowcroft got a lot of unwarranted abuse but turned in some good performances after that - and back in the 90s both Geriant Williiams and Steve Palmer were never really fan favorites but did some solid work none the less
ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 02:06 - Feb 26 with 745 viewspointofblue

ITFC - Zero to Hero and vice versa on 14:35 - Feb 25 by Marshalls_Mullet

Personally I hold no grudge against him for backing himself and joining a stellar Arsenal squad at the time. Cant imagine many players turning that down.

I think the aim of the move was to be successor to safe hands at Arsenal and England.

Hindsight is great though.

From memory, Seaman had announced his intention to retire that summer so Arsenal signed Wright as a number one. Seaman then changed his mind and kept the gloves; Wright’s career nosedived.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024