Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Russian troops 20:58 - Mar 2 with 2843 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I know there is a risk of this being propaganda, but it sounds like the morale among Russian troops is not good.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/crying-russian-troops-plead-with-commanders

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Russian troops on 21:10 - Mar 2 with 2244 viewsWD19

Can you imagine what 200,000 conscripted Brits would be like if they were being shot at by a near neighbour!?
Russian troops on 21:26 - Mar 2 with 2166 viewsDinDjarin

Seen hundreds of videos and pictures from Ukraine and claims of 6000 dead Russians I am yet to see one. Lots of vehicles destroyed or abandoned
Russian troops on 21:30 - Mar 2 with 2139 viewsclive_baker

Not fact checked it’s reliability but I saw a video earlier of a Russian soldier being fed by Ukrainians. It looked like one had let him FaceTime home, the lad looked about 17 and completely sh1t scared. I doubt he even knew why or what he was meant to be fighting for.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Russian troops on 21:35 - Mar 2 with 2122 viewsSitfcB

Russian troops on 21:30 - Mar 2 by clive_baker

Not fact checked it’s reliability but I saw a video earlier of a Russian soldier being fed by Ukrainians. It looked like one had let him FaceTime home, the lad looked about 17 and completely sh1t scared. I doubt he even knew why or what he was meant to be fighting for.

Here it is

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Russian troops on 21:46 - Mar 2 with 2034 viewsChurchman

Russian troops on 21:26 - Mar 2 by DinDjarin

Seen hundreds of videos and pictures from Ukraine and claims of 6000 dead Russians I am yet to see one. Lots of vehicles destroyed or abandoned

Russians admit 500, Ukrainians claim 7000. The actual number is possibly half way between the two. Propaganda is important. It always has been and always will be.
Russian troops on 21:53 - Mar 2 with 1999 viewsCoastalblue

Russian troops on 21:46 - Mar 2 by Churchman

Russians admit 500, Ukrainians claim 7000. The actual number is possibly half way between the two. Propaganda is important. It always has been and always will be.

Until you get to a point where you are consuming your own propaganda, as it seems one protanist may be.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Russian troops on 21:54 - Mar 2 with 1991 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Russian troops on 21:46 - Mar 2 by Churchman

It certainly has been more costly than they ever imagined. Sounds like the soldiers were told to be expected with open arms.

Can’t imagine the Russian public will be too enthusiastic for the “special operation” seeing many coming home in body bags.
Russian troops on 21:59 - Mar 2 with 1949 viewsGuthrum

The 6,000 figure was a misreading of (claimed) casualty figures, a considerable majority of whom will be wounded or captured, rather than dead. Very likely to be inflated numbers, too.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Russian troops on 22:06 - Mar 2 with 1918 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Russian troops on 21:35 - Mar 2 by SitfcB

Here it is

That is a very powerful image if it is what it purports to be. If that is to be repeated and the news spread throughout Russia, then Putin must start to suffer with his popularity amongst his people. Even a dictator needs a certain level of support from the people. If high enough people in the army start to turn against him ...

We can but hope.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Russian troops on 22:07 - Mar 2 with 1897 viewsbazza

Russian troops on 21:10 - Mar 2 by WD19

Can you imagine what 200,000 conscripted Brits would be like if they were being shot at by a near neighbour!?

You need USB charging points in the fox holes..
Russian troops on 22:14 - Mar 2 with 1848 viewsBlueBadger

Russian troops on 21:10 - Mar 2 by WD19

My experience of the general public at the height of the pandemic, for all my cynicism, was that the decency, honesty and courage of the British public genuinely surprised me.

Their leaders, representatives and the apologists for the aforesaid on the other hand...
[Post edited 2 Mar 2022 22:32]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Russian troops on 22:38 - Mar 2 with 1752 viewsearlsgreenblue

Russian troops on 21:54 - Mar 2 by SuperKieranMcKenna

It certainly has been more costly than they ever imagined. Sounds like the soldiers were told to be expected with open arms.

Can’t imagine the Russian public will be too enthusiastic for the “special operation” seeing many coming home in body bags.

That’s why they have mobile crematoriums following from the start. It’ll be months before these guys families get to find out their not coming home!
Russian troops on 23:12 - Mar 2 with 1660 viewsBigCommon

Lots of accounts and vids circulating SM, of young, scared and confused, captured Russian soldiers.. Even footage of a Russian tank being "car-jacked/tank-jacked" by untrained militia, with a tractor.... Raises a few questions for me... Are the mighty Russian armed forces, really so inept??.. Are we seeing a first wave of unskilled, barely trained conscripts being pushed in as bullet fodder,. Is there a more skilled / veteran force in reserve?? .. If Russian forces , truly are, as disorganised and mentally, ill equipped as western/Ukraine news agencies are happy to portray them. Then, don't you think that this would increase , the chances of Putin reinforcing his "nuclear" threat, in order to achieve his goals? He does strike me as a man that would cut off his own nose, and the noses of every Russian, to spite the onlooking West.... Which is a worry, imo....
Russian troops on 23:19 - Mar 2 with 1601 viewsDinDjarin

Russian troops on 23:12 - Mar 2 by BigCommon

Lots of accounts and vids circulating SM, of young, scared and confused, captured Russian soldiers.. Even footage of a Russian tank being "car-jacked/tank-jacked" by untrained militia, with a tractor.... Raises a few questions for me... Are the mighty Russian armed forces, really so inept??.. Are we seeing a first wave of unskilled, barely trained conscripts being pushed in as bullet fodder,. Is there a more skilled / veteran force in reserve?? .. If Russian forces , truly are, as disorganised and mentally, ill equipped as western/Ukraine news agencies are happy to portray them. Then, don't you think that this would increase , the chances of Putin reinforcing his "nuclear" threat, in order to achieve his goals? He does strike me as a man that would cut off his own nose, and the noses of every Russian, to spite the onlooking West.... Which is a worry, imo....

The Belarus army the next load of fodder as are rated the worst European army.
Russian troops on 00:12 - Mar 3 with 1509 viewsKievthegreat

Believe me, there are loads of clips on social media.

Thing is that News channels will not generally show dead bodies. Example:

CNN look over the scene of destruction after Russian vehicles were ambushed. They are there 24 hours after it actually happened. There is a video of the same place, walking almost the exact same path past the still smouldering wrecks, stepping over multiple charred corpses (I don't have the link and I sure as hell ain't going to go searching for it). Even this clip is shortened. It ends with him pointing behind the white truck. What he goes on to say is that there is still a dead body where he's pointing before he ushers the cameraman back so goes out of shot again.
Russian troops on 00:44 - Mar 3 with 1455 viewsTheMoralMajority

That footage definitely exists and it is extremely grim. I wouldn't recommend going look for it, but it won't take you long to find it if you choose to.

...but do signatures really work?

Russian troops on 02:02 - Mar 3 with 1388 viewsGuthrum

Russian troops on 23:19 - Mar 2 by DinDjarin

The Belarus army the next load of fodder as are rated the worst European army.

The Russians must be pretty deperate if they're calling upon the Belarusians for reinforcements. Perhaps they hope they will not be greeted with the same hostility.

Russian troops on 08:54 - Mar 3 with 1136 viewsDeano69

Russian troops on 22:06 - Mar 2 by Nthsuffolkblue

That is a very powerful image if it is what it purports to be. If that is to be repeated and the news spread throughout Russia, then Putin must start to suffer with his popularity amongst his people. Even a dictator needs a certain level of support from the people. If high enough people in the army start to turn against him ...

We can but hope.

That lad will need to go in to hiding now.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Russian troops on 09:01 - Mar 3 with 1119 viewsSteve_M

It clearly is though, told firstly nothing of the invasion plans and then that they would be welcomed as liberators by 'brothers' then it's been a harsh reality check for many. Add in the general disregard with which the Russian military still treats the bulk of it's men then it's no surprise.

That the Russian government has admitted 500 deaths suggests the true number is much higher. Hundreds of families losing sons for a war that only Putin and a few around him seem to want.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Russian troops on 09:10 - Mar 3 with 1058 viewsJuggsy

They sent in all the conscripts and have their trained army in reserve which is why it has backfired so spectacularly.
Russian troops on 09:11 - Mar 3 with 1050 viewsDarth_Koont

Russian troops on 21:59 - Mar 2 by Guthrum

The 6,000 figure was a misreading of (claimed) casualty figures, a considerable majority of whom will be wounded or captured, rather than dead. Very likely to be inflated numbers, too.

I think it was also a misreading of the wikipedia page. I’d seen the figure of c. 5,700 Russian troops killed but that’s the total over 8 years of fighting in the Eastern regions.

The most recent numbers from the invasion hadn’t been added or could even be reasonably verified it seems.

Pronouns: He/Him

Russian troops on 09:17 - Mar 3 with 1028 viewsChurchman

Russian troops on 08:54 - Mar 3 by Deano69

That lad will need to go in to hiding now.

Poor bloke. He will probably finish in a gulag or Labour camp, if he’s lucky.

According to wiki, after WW2 Soviet prisoners that survived starvation and murder by the Germans (over 3.3 million were worked or starved to death) were welcomed back into ‘filtration camps’ by the NKVD.

20% of POWs were freed and 43% of POWs were re-drafted, 22% of POWs were sent to labor battalions, and 15% of the POWs (226,127 out of 1,539,475 total) were transferred to the Gulag.

While Putin may take a modern, 21c liberal view with a pension, trauma counselling etc, that’s about as likely as Boris Johnson dealing with the river of dirty money running through laundromat London.
Russian troops on 09:19 - Mar 3 with 1013 viewsGuthrum

"Cannon Fodder" is actually a very bad strategy. Objectives are not taken, massive casualties suffered and few inflicted upon the enemy. Plus that mass of troops has to be fed, transported and supplied.

Instead, the most skilled troops should be deployed to achieve a swift victory, inflicting maximum damage at minimum cost. Which is what the Russians tried to do on day one with the airborne assault on Hostomel airfield, just outside Kyiv.

As I've said before, the Russian military is vast, but with only a relatively small core of high quality units (Spetsnaz, airborne, a couple of divisions worth of armour and naval infantry). The vast bulk consists of brutalised teenage conscripts in elderly tanks.

Worth bearing in mind that the Russian annual military budget is no larger than that of the UK, a quarter of China's and only 10% that of the USA. That translates into technology, which is of more use in modern warfare than sheer numbers. Also, in the decade after the collapse of the USSR, the military was allowed to run down completely, to quite a shambolic state of disrepair and poor morale. So it was a low base to start from when Putin came to power 20 years ago. A decent chunk of that budget will have had to go into keeping at least some of their nuclear forces viable (extraordinarily expensive) and rebuilding the air force, thus depriving the land army of funds.

Russian troops on 09:21 - Mar 3 with 1004 viewshype313

Whilst that is pleasing to hear, all Putin has done is sent in the cannon fodder, now that's not going to plan, watch Putin unleash the full force of his Military.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Russian troops on 09:26 - Mar 3 with 969 viewsGuthrum

Russian troops on 09:10 - Mar 3 by Juggsy

They sent in all the conscripts and have their trained army in reserve which is why it has backfired so spectacularly.

Who are these well-trained troops which have not already been sent into the battle?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024