Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Didn’t Go Last Night…. 06:58 - Aug 10 with 1322 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

….and haven’t bothered with a League Cup tie since we tamely lost to Stevenage, I think, under Micks tenure. See also the Pizza Cup since League 1 status has befallen our club.
Had a few quick perusals on the chat room during the first half and on here shortly after the match finished and logged out pretty quickly after seeing some of the comments flying about.
It’s really not too difficult to see the progress under the current ownership and coaching staff that is being made and some positive building blocks are now in place.
Yes, we would benefit from an additional striker to the squad and I am sure that the powers that be are working on securing the services of one as we speak.
It was Colchester, in a cup we have absolutely zero chance of winning, and although the result is a tad disappointing, with ten changes to the starting line up it’s not entirely surprising and a little perspective is needed.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Didn’t Go Last Night…. on 07:28 - Aug 10 with 1191 viewsDubtractor

Was thinking similar.

Not so much the posts at full time saying 'ffs our record in the cups is dreadful' etc, that's all understandable.

But quite a few posts questioning McKenna, or saying his approach is doomed to failure. Those sort of posts seem an overreaction after a solid start to the league season, where we have looked much more threatening in front of goal.

Let's see how we get on in the next few league games before we get too upset. That's just my thoughts anyway.

Fwiw, i do agree with thre prevailing view that we need another striker, but you assume (hope) that the club is trying to sort that, whether it is George Hirst or AN Other.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2022 7:40]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Didn’t Go Last Night…. on 07:42 - Aug 10 with 1116 viewsBlueBadger

Didn’t Go Last Night…. on 07:28 - Aug 10 by Dubtractor

Was thinking similar.

Not so much the posts at full time saying 'ffs our record in the cups is dreadful' etc, that's all understandable.

But quite a few posts questioning McKenna, or saying his approach is doomed to failure. Those sort of posts seem an overreaction after a solid start to the league season, where we have looked much more threatening in front of goal.

Let's see how we get on in the next few league games before we get too upset. That's just my thoughts anyway.

Fwiw, i do agree with thre prevailing view that we need another striker, but you assume (hope) that the club is trying to sort that, whether it is George Hirst or AN Other.

My favourite was the lad who was clearly rather kean(ish) saying 'it's a good job that wasn't Cookie, he'd have been crucified'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Didn’t Go Last Night…. on 07:43 - Aug 10 with 1113 viewsSteve_M

Didn’t Go Last Night…. on 07:28 - Aug 10 by Dubtractor

Was thinking similar.

It's a truly bizarre league cup record, so many really poor defeats in a wide variety of circumstances under every manager since Burley (at least when his team lost to Luton it was a genuine blip).

But, yes, a definite overreaction to last night. Then again this board gets less and less worth using to talk football the more people are on it as demonstrated by those treating any questioning of signing Keogh as heresy.

The Blubfish award for being the first to turn on a new manager isn't the accolade some seem to think it is either.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Didn’t Go Last Night…. on 07:49 - Aug 10 with 1073 viewsRadlett_blue

Didn’t Go Last Night…. on 07:43 - Aug 10 by Steve_M

It's a truly bizarre league cup record, so many really poor defeats in a wide variety of circumstances under every manager since Burley (at least when his team lost to Luton it was a genuine blip).

But, yes, a definite overreaction to last night. Then again this board gets less and less worth using to talk football the more people are on it as demonstrated by those treating any questioning of signing Keogh as heresy.

The Blubfish award for being the first to turn on a new manager isn't the accolade some seem to think it is either.

We did reach a League Cup semi final under Keane, although he was sacked before we had actually played even the first leg of the semi final. That says everything you need to know about the club owner's priorities, which are then transmitted down to the manager.
McKenna knows that the game's up for him if Town don't at least reach the play-offs this season. So no wonder he chose to rest his first choice XI & get some game time into the squad players. Yes, we do get tired of the constant drivel managers spout about how much they want to win cup games, but McKenna would have been massacred even more if he said "this competition isn't a priority so I'm starting a reserve XI".

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Didn’t Go Last Night…. on 07:50 - Aug 10 with 1064 viewsBlueBadger

It's was slightly more understandable last night, given that we lost, to lower league opposition AND a 'rival'.

Saturday on the other hand...

Did we lose to FGR or something? by BlueBadger 6 Aug 2022 19:22
Whole lotta desperate hot-takers determined to moan about something, anything.

Weird.

Some of these lot are going to be really FURIOUS when we get properly match fit and start destroying teams.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Didn’t Go Last Night…. on 08:02 - Aug 10 with 1014 viewsMattinLondon

Yes it’s disappointing- losing to a lower league team should always be disappointing- if this forms a continued pattern this season then it become a problem.

But it was a meaningless cup game devised by a mistake from a player not really in contention for a place in the starting 11 on Saturday. If we beat MK, who will care about last night.
Didn’t Go Last Night…. on 08:03 - Aug 10 with 1013 viewshomer_123

As I posted after the result. I don't think we are far away, at all, from being a very good side - just need to be better converting the chances we create, there is a lot to like about KM and the football we are playing. Both on and off the pitch we are miles ahead of where we were ... however, there is a trend now and it does need to be addressed.

It's a 'results' business. There is a huge amount to like by homer_123 9 Aug 2022 21:47
both on and off the pitch. So much we are getting right and the feel is so vastly different to previous.

We are, I feel, very close to really turning the corner whether that be a new striker or our current crop hitting their stride.

Ultimately though...it's a results business.

I hope KM doesn't change the approach as we are close but a player or two needs to start putting that ball in the net or we invest in someone who can at this level.

Poor result tonight. Still a lot to like.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Didn’t Go Last Night…. on 08:04 - Aug 10 with 1006 viewshomer_123

Didn’t Go Last Night…. on 08:02 - Aug 10 by MattinLondon

Yes it’s disappointing- losing to a lower league team should always be disappointing- if this forms a continued pattern this season then it become a problem.

But it was a meaningless cup game devised by a mistake from a player not really in contention for a place in the starting 11 on Saturday. If we beat MK, who will care about last night.

Just playing devils advocate but...'If we beat MK [place another team name here...], who will care about last night.' - we have been down this road once or twice before.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2022 8:04]

Login to get fewer ads

Didn’t Go Last Night…. on 08:16 - Aug 10 with 958 viewsNthQldITFC

In a strange parallel with the other real world, we also live between the twin pincers of Budgie trolls (Russian disinformation factories) and indignant dummy spitters (right wing populists).

Yes, we absolutely need another striker in the next three weeks, but the stench of faeces, both thrown and exuded into nappies is wholly nauseating.

Besides, it's a crappy competition and we're clearly not interested in winning it, or in legitimising it for any previous holders.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Didn’t Go Last Night…. on 08:21 - Aug 10 with 907 viewsMattinLondon

Didn’t Go Last Night…. on 08:16 - Aug 10 by NthQldITFC

In a strange parallel with the other real world, we also live between the twin pincers of Budgie trolls (Russian disinformation factories) and indignant dummy spitters (right wing populists).

Yes, we absolutely need another striker in the next three weeks, but the stench of faeces, both thrown and exuded into nappies is wholly nauseating.

Besides, it's a crappy competition and we're clearly not interested in winning it, or in legitimising it for any previous holders.

The blubfest is more like a very young toddler having a poo accident in their pants and trying to help by taking off said pants and dragging it on the floor around the house. Whilst shouting ‘helping, helping’.
Didn’t Go Last Night…. on 08:28 - Aug 10 with 835 viewsMattinLondon

Didn’t Go Last Night…. on 08:04 - Aug 10 by homer_123

Just playing devils advocate but...'If we beat MK [place another team name here...], who will care about last night.' - we have been down this road once or twice before.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2022 8:04]

But not really with the present manager or current first team.
Didn’t Go Last Night…. on 08:30 - Aug 10 with 824 viewshomer_123

Didn’t Go Last Night…. on 08:28 - Aug 10 by MattinLondon

But not really with the present manager or current first team.

Nor was it the first time under our previous managers....

Didn’t Go Last Night…. on 08:41 - Aug 10 with 807 viewsdirtyboy

On a scale of 1-10 how much am I worried about the season as whole at this point in time? 1

On a scale of 1-10 how much am I bothered? 1 (I suspect along with 15,000 or so other fans who didn't bother even going)

Disappointing that we didn't win a game of football as I don't like seeing us lose, albeit a meaningless competition and that's all.
Didn’t Go Last Night…. on 08:55 - Aug 10 with 752 viewspointofblue

Didn’t Go Last Night…. on 08:21 - Aug 10 by MattinLondon

The blubfest is more like a very young toddler having a poo accident in their pants and trying to help by taking off said pants and dragging it on the floor around the house. Whilst shouting ‘helping, helping’.

Sounds more like the kind of help our strikers provide to the squad.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Didn’t Go Last Night…. on 09:06 - Aug 10 with 718 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I would just like to have seen a stronger side last night.

Would have been perfect for getting the team more game time together, maybe get Ladapo a goal.

Humpreys gets no benefit from playing alongside Harper, but mayve done alongside Evans.

It adds a little more pressure to Saturdays game now.

Under the new ownership we've not spent any time in the play off places, and that's something we can put right on Saturday. Would be good to go into that match off the back of another win and some feel good factor.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Didn’t Go Last Night…. on 09:11 - Aug 10 with 704 viewsBluedandy

In 2013 Bradford City of L2 made the League Cup final at Wembley.

Apparently before it happened a team from L2 had absolutely zero chance of getting to a League Cup Final.

I'd love for Town actually to play a game at the new Wembley on at least one occasion in the next I don't know 30 years ... Papa John's anyone?

But we've always got much bigger fish to fry which is why we are, oh yes, still in the third division going out in the first round to a team from L2 yet again.

The team last night was a reserve team, but wait a minute aren't these also the same squad players who indicate our ludicrous embarrassment of riches for the third tier.

Make up your mind people.

It's true though, yesterday's excrescence will be largely forgotten if we get say 10 points from the next four league games against relatively standard third division tripe.
Didn’t Go Last Night…. on 09:21 - Aug 10 with 670 viewsRozeeboy74

I has started to reply to a post last night about McKenna not having a plan B, but deleted it as I felt like I was just feeding the troll. Posts like this are far more measured so note to self - don't read the group directly after the match :-)

Totally agree on a striker and we need to be luring Championship strikers to us, or with McKenna's pulling power, a Prem bench warmer? Perhaps that is dream land.

No need for a plan B with 17 shots and 7 on target. We just need someone to find the old onion bag.
Didn’t Go Last Night…. on 09:32 - Aug 10 with 633 viewsDarth_Koont

People can question Keogh as a player. But yesterday we had people making allegations about him that they couldn't know about an off-the-field incident.

Nonsensical posts and people's stupid opinions make this board difficult to use, let's be honest.

Pronouns: He/Him

I love these posts… but they are also very easy to write and possibly flawed on 10:04 - Aug 10 with 567 viewsunstableblue

Essentially you’re saying it’s a meaningless cup tie, we never do well in the cup, and the club is going in the right direction.

Which is of course true.

But it’s also true that the vehicle to keep a 22 man squad happy and fit has been damaged. League Cup offers better contests than the pizza trophy thing. This was a stated strategy that had failed against a Col U team that had no intent.

It’s also true to say that against weak opposition that sat deep literally all the players apparently pushing and fighting for a starting 11 place failed the test. Harper was diabolical and frankly single handledly lost us the game. But more worryingly JJ was very poor, Jackson did nothing albeit with no service, and KVY had a poor night. I could go on. And for me Edwards doesn’t look like he’s progressed.

Worryingly burns continues to look off the pace.

Our peers like Bolton just continued their project in the cup, scoring for fun.

And last night dented confidence in fringe players, fans. MK Dons get a win and a boost.

I don’t think it’s that we don’t care about the cup as a club, I just think the strategy is all wrong.

As I stated last night the strategy of playing a brand new fringe 11 almost worked the first 30mins we dominated and Humphreys has to score, then the Harper madness. But we lacked effect personality and system to truly get into col u.. no one broke the lines.. and with KVY, JJ, Humphreys, Leigh and Edwards… why not?!

Win convincingly Saturday and all concerns from Tuesday evaporate,

And I think the return of Morsy will make us a better team. Complete lack of purpose and intent last night.

Ball, Morsy and Keogh could be the catalyst for this club to stop being weak.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2022 10:09]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024