Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
[Redacted] 09:36 - Aug 16 with 1864 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 09:39 - Aug 16 with 1326 viewsBlueBadger

If anything, my obsession got worse, with the advent of cheaper, downloadable music.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 09:42 - Aug 16 with 1305 viewsSikamikanico

I would say my interest in new music did dip in my 30s with only a few artists being added to my collection. Purely down to a lack of time because of a severe family illness and moving in with my partner.

I instead discovered music I missed when I was younger and before I was born.

Now I am finding that in my 40s thatmore new music appeals.
Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 09:44 - Aug 16 with 1290 viewshype313

I stopped listening to all music when The Smiths split.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 09:48 - Aug 16 with 1279 viewsFtnfwest

pretty much switched off to new music in 1987 when i was 21
Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 09:48 - Aug 16 with 1279 viewsCoastalblue

I would say I mirrored that quite closely, in my mid 30's music went from a deep passion to something I enjoyed. I never stopped listening, but was less and less likely to be searching out something new to look for and spent far more time with old favourites.

I don't actually regret it on quite the way this pice has been presented though because I think I went on a different journey. As I entered my 40's, continuing all the way now into my mid 50's I began to listen to a few new things again but lost and discounted that 'snobbishness' that comes with youth that dictates stuff is cr4p before we've even heard it because of artist, genre or whatever.
I've expanded my listening massively over the last decade, but much of it was stuff that I avoided when younger, or is before my time.

It's an interesting article though, and one that I suspect chimes with many people.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 09:53 - Aug 16 with 1253 viewsmonytowbray

Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 09:44 - Aug 16 by hype313

Shame, you could have actually learned what non-sh1t bands sound like ;)

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 09:58 - Aug 16 with 1234 viewsmonytowbray

I’m 35 and feel like I hear more than ever. Work and travel time is when music gets discovered. I still have a lot of mates involved in scenes and Discover Weekly on Spotify is a Monday ritual.

Last year I started making electronic music as a solo artist after COVID lockdowns and finding the idea of a band too much effort. That’s something I always wanted to do but doubted my ability.

I will say I’m deffo in that “I heard XYZ do it better 20 years ago” phase with a lot of new stuff and some artists now massive passed me by, but with mainstream chart stuff that’s always been the case for me anyway.

TWTD never forgets…

Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 09:59 - Aug 16 with 1241 viewshype313

Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 09:53 - Aug 16 by monytowbray

Shame, you could have actually learned what non-sh1t bands sound like ;)

Was rather tongue in cheek Mony!

Was just being facetious.

Having said that, I do agree with the article to a certain extent, I think people still look for new artists within the genre they grew up with, I do and what is incredible is seeing the youngsters coming through with a nod the the halcyon days, Nia Archives is rekindling my youth and it's great to see.

I think mainstream music is and has always been a passing flurry for most of us, most of the 80's stuff I hear I thought I really liked, but actually it's just a throwback to nostalgic roots bringing back fond memories of times gone by.

Whilst I love what Ed has done for our club, if we're all brutally honest, if he was around in the mid 90's, he would have been a background player, someone 3/4 down the headline list, same goes for most artist these days, it all just sounds so magnolia. Or maybe it's because I have got older...

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Login to get fewer ads

Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 10:03 - Aug 16 with 1231 viewsRobTheMonk

I'm finding it much more difficult to find modern songs, artists and bands that I like and end up listening to old faithful's or 70's/80's rock.

Youtube has been both a blessing and a curse for music in my opinion. Blessing in that you can get niche stuff out there much more easily and get music easily accessible. Curse because you can put any old rubbish out there.
Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 10:05 - Aug 16 with 1214 viewsmonytowbray

Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 09:59 - Aug 16 by hype313

Was rather tongue in cheek Mony!

Was just being facetious.

Having said that, I do agree with the article to a certain extent, I think people still look for new artists within the genre they grew up with, I do and what is incredible is seeing the youngsters coming through with a nod the the halcyon days, Nia Archives is rekindling my youth and it's great to see.

I think mainstream music is and has always been a passing flurry for most of us, most of the 80's stuff I hear I thought I really liked, but actually it's just a throwback to nostalgic roots bringing back fond memories of times gone by.

Whilst I love what Ed has done for our club, if we're all brutally honest, if he was around in the mid 90's, he would have been a background player, someone 3/4 down the headline list, same goes for most artist these days, it all just sounds so magnolia. Or maybe it's because I have got older...

I am The Cure over Smiths any day. How Soon is Now is the only song I really like.

You aren’t wrong on the rest. Music is much more simplistic in style yet overproduced in general with the tech we have these days. Plus only people with money behind them make it, Idles aren’t the DIY Punk band they make out, Bob Vylan popped up from largely no where, all those radio one plays don’t come for free. Hard to imagine something like the Madchester scene where a load of working class lads take over the world in this age.

TWTD never forgets…

Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 10:15 - Aug 16 with 1180 viewssolemio

No, I still liked Haydn, Schumann, Poulenc and Britten just as much in my Thirties.
Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 10:16 - Aug 16 with 1181 viewsMookamoo

Bob Mortimer said (I think it was on his Desert Island Disks) that he only listens to music he knows he likes and doesn't bother with anything new. There comes a point where you don't have long left so you can only listen to your favourites a limited number of times, so waste time listening to anything else.
Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 10:22 - Aug 16 with 1162 viewsmylittletown

Very interesting article.

As the article says, the social element dies away a bit - people have kids, they are less able to go to concerts, gigs. Then as you get older, you can't be arsed to stand somewhere with long queues for bogs and bars, you don't enjoy being 50 metres away from the stage, and you no longer enjoy what might be called the moshing element of live music

Secondly, in my opinion, music goes through phases. In my lifetime of listening, I'd say that the early 70s was great, innovative etc, then it became pretty dull until the late 70s. The early 80s were brilliant, then it faded somewhat until 1989/90 90s etc etc. I think that right now we are going through a very dull phase, unless you want to dance.

Every now and then there is always a gem, though!
Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 10:26 - Aug 16 with 1141 viewsSteve_M

I just read that, was going to post it on here but you beat me too it.

It's a trend that definitely happens but , thinking about my friends, those who were most interested in music as teenagers and in their 20s are still interested albeit in different ways to at 18. And, as others have said, streaming - for all it's faults - offers access to an enormous range of music and the flexibility to listen to it easily.

I actually heard a lot more new music whilst WFH over covid lockdowns as I had 6Music on most of the time and I've been to a load of gigs since - London gig crowds remain a reassuring eclectic mix of people and a wider spread of ages.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 10:27 - Aug 16 with 1137 viewsloftboy

Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 10:22 - Aug 16 by mylittletown

Very interesting article.

As the article says, the social element dies away a bit - people have kids, they are less able to go to concerts, gigs. Then as you get older, you can't be arsed to stand somewhere with long queues for bogs and bars, you don't enjoy being 50 metres away from the stage, and you no longer enjoy what might be called the moshing element of live music

Secondly, in my opinion, music goes through phases. In my lifetime of listening, I'd say that the early 70s was great, innovative etc, then it became pretty dull until the late 70s. The early 80s were brilliant, then it faded somewhat until 1989/90 90s etc etc. I think that right now we are going through a very dull phase, unless you want to dance.

Every now and then there is always a gem, though!

I was 30 mid 90’s and totally agree with the original post. Bar the odd song I can’t stand anything that’s been produced since, I religiously listen to Greatest hits radio, my mrs who is the same age as me is totally opposite, she had radio 1 playing the other night, I had to leave the room , it was awful.
Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 10:31 - Aug 16 with 1114 viewsmylittletown

Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 10:27 - Aug 16 by loftboy

I was 30 mid 90’s and totally agree with the original post. Bar the odd song I can’t stand anything that’s been produced since, I religiously listen to Greatest hits radio, my mrs who is the same age as me is totally opposite, she had radio 1 playing the other night, I had to leave the room , it was awful.

Apart from the music, the sheer inanity of the presenters makes Radio 1 unlistenable.
Tbf, the same applies to most stations.
Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 11:23 - Aug 16 with 1032 viewsBluefields

A bit, kids took over really. But still listen to Gilles Peterson every week on 6 music and the odd tune my kids punt my way. Pete Tong Ibiza Classics at Newmarket on Friday brought back a few memories and dusted off the dancing shoes.
[Redacted] on 11:25 - Aug 16 with 1019 viewsvictorywilhappen

Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 10:26 - Aug 16 by Steve_M

I just read that, was going to post it on here but you beat me too it.

It's a trend that definitely happens but , thinking about my friends, those who were most interested in music as teenagers and in their 20s are still interested albeit in different ways to at 18. And, as others have said, streaming - for all it's faults - offers access to an enormous range of music and the flexibility to listen to it easily.

I actually heard a lot more new music whilst WFH over covid lockdowns as I had 6Music on most of the time and I've been to a load of gigs since - London gig crowds remain a reassuring eclectic mix of people and a wider spread of ages.

[Redacted]
Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 11:37 - Aug 16 with 974 viewslowhouseblue

probably listening to more now than before - but completely different stuff.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 11:48 - Aug 16 with 934 viewsSteve_M

[Redacted] on 11:25 - Aug 16 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

There's definitely an element of that, and Hype mentions how things that were background music at the time feel nicely nostalgic now, but a lot depends on the individual - I stull like a lot of stuff that I listened to 20 or 30 years ago but plenty really doesn't stand up. The mass market obviously does tend towards nostalgic with bands still touring more than half a century on. That and the blander end of the current musical spectrum.

I suppose there's another trend as well, which is the splintering of culture: there were always sub-genres but, in many ways, the limited media landscape of the 60s and 70s pointed to more limited cultural variety.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 11:51 - Aug 16 with 915 viewsElephantintheRoom

I guess the arrival of kids and another half with no interest in prog rock more or less stops you listening to music. The end of ‘albums’ didn’t help either

Lots of things impact your life in your 30s. I would say that everything took a back seat to children, work and family life. Even fishing.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 11:53 - Aug 16 with 894 viewsmylittletown

Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 11:51 - Aug 16 by ElephantintheRoom

I guess the arrival of kids and another half with no interest in prog rock more or less stops you listening to music. The end of ‘albums’ didn’t help either

Lots of things impact your life in your 30s. I would say that everything took a back seat to children, work and family life. Even fishing.

You'd have thought that another half with no interest in prog rock might actually have encouraged you to listen to music?
[Redacted] on 12:10 - Aug 16 with 850 viewsvictorywilhappen

Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 11:48 - Aug 16 by Steve_M

There's definitely an element of that, and Hype mentions how things that were background music at the time feel nicely nostalgic now, but a lot depends on the individual - I stull like a lot of stuff that I listened to 20 or 30 years ago but plenty really doesn't stand up. The mass market obviously does tend towards nostalgic with bands still touring more than half a century on. That and the blander end of the current musical spectrum.

I suppose there's another trend as well, which is the splintering of culture: there were always sub-genres but, in many ways, the limited media landscape of the 60s and 70s pointed to more limited cultural variety.

[Redacted]
Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 12:12 - Aug 16 with 817 viewsDeano69

Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 09:44 - Aug 16 by hype313

Sounds depressing

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Did anyone else fall out of love with music in their 30's? on 12:13 - Aug 16 with 798 viewsJ2BLUE

Hate articles like this. Always looking to group people together and analyse everything to death.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024