Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds 03:04 - Oct 20 with 5306 viewsElderGrizzly

And the good thing is, Reform are cannibalising the Tory vote.

I wonder if Richard Tice will still keep his promise and put a candidate against every Tory candidate in the General Election?

Fingers crossed

Also, what a tw@t

[Post edited 20 Oct 2023 3:23]
Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 07:15 - Oct 20 with 2934 viewsitfcjoe

Incredible results, obviously a fair amount of apathy about but these massive poll leads seem to be coming out at the ballot box

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 07:22 - Oct 20 with 2922 viewstractordownsouth

I was out door knocking for Labour in Tamworth yesterday and we bumped into a group of Tory canvassers including the candidate Andrew Cooper. All of them looked miserable except Eddie Hughes (the Walsall MP who is their general election candidate for Tamworth) who politely came over and said hello.

Presumably he was in good spirits because he knew they were on course to lose and that he could definitely be the candidate with Cooper out the way next time.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 07:25 - Oct 20 with 2908 viewstractordownsouth

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 07:15 - Oct 20 by itfcjoe

Incredible results, obviously a fair amount of apathy about but these massive poll leads seem to be coming out at the ballot box

It was incredible some of the places we were getting Labour voters in Tamworth. There’s lots of affluence around the edge of the constituency in particular, definitely not natural Labour territory.

It’s a bit like Selby where the 2010 boundary changes made it a much more demographically Tory seat compared to when Blair won it, which makes it even more impressive.

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 07:31 - Oct 20 with 2885 viewsPlums

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 07:22 - Oct 20 by tractordownsouth

I was out door knocking for Labour in Tamworth yesterday and we bumped into a group of Tory canvassers including the candidate Andrew Cooper. All of them looked miserable except Eddie Hughes (the Walsall MP who is their general election candidate for Tamworth) who politely came over and said hello.

Presumably he was in good spirits because he knew they were on course to lose and that he could definitely be the candidate with Cooper out the way next time.

I thought campaigning was ceased on the day of the election but that didn't seem to happen yesterday. Labour in particular seemed very active on social media. Have the rules changed?

Excellent result by the way. Congrats.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2023 7:32]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 07:35 - Oct 20 with 2874 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 07:31 - Oct 20 by Plums

I thought campaigning was ceased on the day of the election but that didn't seem to happen yesterday. Labour in particular seemed very active on social media. Have the rules changed?

Wish I felt happier about the prospect but anyway "just for fun."

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 07:39 - Oct 20 with 2857 viewsGlasgowBlue

I would imagine the door knocking was getting people out to vote who have previously indicated support. That’s allowed on election day.

In my day we would have a wall with the electoral roll cut and pasted on it, with a coloured marker pen indicating who these people had said they would vote for.

The tellers at the polling station would ask each person for the number in their card as they went in. Tellers from all parties would swap this information with each other. The info would be taken back to HQ and each name crossed off the electoral roll. As close of pollling got closer we would then go door knocking to get out people who hadn’t voted but undulated support.

Its probably far more technical now than pen and paper.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 07:43 - Oct 20 with 2842 viewstractordownsouth

Cheers! Door knocking on the day has always been fine, as are social media reminders to vote. It’s just the public events which aren’t allowed.

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 08:02 - Oct 20 with 2716 viewsHerbivore

23,000 people actually took time out of their day yesterday to go and vote for a Tory. Remarkable stuff, I didn't realise we had so many people in the UK still living in caves oblivious to what is going on in the modern world.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 08:38 - Oct 20 with 2659 viewsWeWereZombies

I know letting TWTD know about what is in the news has become part and parcel of the forum but didn't you hear about the Blueas request for a No Politics Day ? I mean a firm reminder of the result is OK but

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 09:10 - Oct 20 with 2588 viewsGuthrum

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 09:15 - Oct 20 with 2574 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 09:10 - Oct 20 by Guthrum

Even Guthers has me on ignore!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 09:18 - Oct 20 with 2551 viewsKieran_Knows

Fcuk the Tories.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 09:21 - Oct 20 with 2524 viewsnodge_blue

Seeing Farage at some Conservative events, I wonder if reform don’t partly want them to fail so badly that they morph into reform and combine as a more hard right party.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 09:25 - Oct 20 with 2496 viewsGuthrum

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 09:15 - Oct 20 by BanksterDebtSlave

Even Guthers has me on ignore!

Ah, sorry, missed that! Probably amusing enough to post twice, tho.

Farage might end up as Leader of the Conservatives after all - just of one amongst the splinters it breaks into post a defeat like that. They should fear what happened to the Liberals after 1924*.

Note for clarity: While myself politically non-aligned, I really dislike what the Conservatives have done and become over the last decade. Thus I would be happy at their downfall.

* Edit: Into the political wilderness for 50 years and out of even shared power for 86.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2023 9:27]

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 09:27 - Oct 20 with 2484 viewsMattinLondon

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 09:21 - Oct 20 by nodge_blue

Seeing Farage at some Conservative events, I wonder if reform don’t partly want them to fail so badly that they morph into reform and combine as a more hard right party.

If you were in Tory Party HQ, and quite important, wouldn’t you put 2+2 together and think ‘you know what, I don’t think the public actually like all this crass incompetence. Let’s get some sensible people in who aren’t lunatics’.

What’s the Tory majority now in the HoC?
Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 09:30 - Oct 20 with 2454 viewsWeWereZombies

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 09:27 - Oct 20 by MattinLondon

If you were in Tory Party HQ, and quite important, wouldn’t you put 2+2 together and think ‘you know what, I don’t think the public actually like all this crass incompetence. Let’s get some sensible people in who aren’t lunatics’.

I think this is up to date, still a long way to go unfortunately:

https://members.parliament.uk/parties/commons

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 09:38 - Oct 20 with 2432 viewsGuthrum

As someone pointed out to me recently, who do they have in that department? Many of the more moderate elements have been driven out (particularly of the parliamentary party). Pretty much all they have left are the strident loons and the encrusted back-benchers. This will only become more of a problem after a heavy GE defeat. As the LibDems know, with few MPs, the pool of talent is too small.

As things stand, the constituency party members are not going to be leading any kind of revolution. They are more right-wing than the MPs. Which would be a major handicap in any attempted reform from above.

One of the rising stars (and my local MP) Alex Chalk would be almost certain to lose his seat if there were any kind of swing against the Conservatives. Thus ruling him out of any immediate leadership bid. That kind of thing will also be an issue.

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 09:38 - Oct 20 with 2426 viewspositivity

great news and heartening that the tories anti-environment & rightward shift post upminster hasn't rewarded them as they thought it might.

though they're so clueles they'll probably put it down to not being further right...

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 09:43 - Oct 20 with 2408 viewsMattinLondon

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 09:38 - Oct 20 by Guthrum

As someone pointed out to me recently, who do they have in that department? Many of the more moderate elements have been driven out (particularly of the parliamentary party). Pretty much all they have left are the strident loons and the encrusted back-benchers. This will only become more of a problem after a heavy GE defeat. As the LibDems know, with few MPs, the pool of talent is too small.

As things stand, the constituency party members are not going to be leading any kind of revolution. They are more right-wing than the MPs. Which would be a major handicap in any attempted reform from above.

One of the rising stars (and my local MP) Alex Chalk would be almost certain to lose his seat if there were any kind of swing against the Conservatives. Thus ruling him out of any immediate leadership bid. That kind of thing will also be an issue.

And maybe that’s why Labour are currently playing it very safe and cautious. No need to bring up anything risky as the Tories seem to be doing a good job of destroying their own electoral changes by themselves.
Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 09:45 - Oct 20 with 2393 viewsMattinLondon

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 09:30 - Oct 20 by WeWereZombies

I think this is up to date, still a long way to go unfortunately:

https://members.parliament.uk/parties/commons

Cheers. I’m guessing that with any loss the PMs own position is weakened within his own party. Maybe that’s why he is overseas - trying to project a tough image? Not sure whether Truss etc have got that memo yet.
Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 09:47 - Oct 20 with 2387 viewslowhouseblue

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 07:39 - Oct 20 by GlasgowBlue

I would imagine the door knocking was getting people out to vote who have previously indicated support. That’s allowed on election day.

In my day we would have a wall with the electoral roll cut and pasted on it, with a coloured marker pen indicating who these people had said they would vote for.

The tellers at the polling station would ask each person for the number in their card as they went in. Tellers from all parties would swap this information with each other. The info would be taken back to HQ and each name crossed off the electoral roll. As close of pollling got closer we would then go door knocking to get out people who hadn’t voted but undulated support.

Its probably far more technical now than pen and paper.

what i always knew as the mikardo system.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 09:56 - Oct 20 with 2334 viewsbaxterbasics

Whilst I am very much out of love with the Conservative party lately, am disappointed with the Mid Beds result because the candidate there was a rare good'un. Unfortunate timing for him.

That aside... shrug. As expected.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 09:58 - Oct 20 with 2320 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 09:21 - Oct 20 by nodge_blue

Farage has claimed he’ll be the Tory leader by 2026 according to the Independent!

Still, it will be nice to have closer links with Russia….
Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:00 - Oct 20 with 2305 viewsWeWereZombies

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 09:45 - Oct 20 by MattinLondon

Cheers. I’m guessing that with any loss the PMs own position is weakened within his own party. Maybe that’s why he is overseas - trying to project a tough image? Not sure whether Truss etc have got that memo yet.

Again, sadly, I suspect his own party will be worrying about how to win the next General Election and far less concerned with any blundering around on the international stage by Sunak. We are going to have to put up with this character who was not in the job at the last election, and not even first choice for the job when the then Prime Minister went. You never know, one of his overseas false steps could see him ousted and then they get in a new Prime Minister to try and have a fresh start and new agenda in the months leading up to the next election.

Labour win Tamworth & Mid-Beds on 10:16 - Oct 20 with 2249 viewsGlasgowBlue

The Tories are at a bit of a crossroads and both factions will take some comfort from the fact that the Labour vote hardly rose in Tamworth & actually fell in Mid Beds. So they will assess that Tory voters stayed at home rather than flocked to Labour.

The hard right will insist that this is a sign that the party is not right wing enough and the centre right will claim the opposite.

As most One Nation and centre right Tories have been purged from the party then I can only see the hard right winning the argument. Which in turn will see them in opposition for many more years.

Unless I have misjudged the country and we really do want a right wing populist government.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024