Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story 11:13 - Jun 18 with 7100 viewstextbackup

Mine would have to be season 97/98, dad had been sinking beers in pub pre match, came walking up the stair way in lower cobbold when the ball went flying down there... next thing I knew I heard 'stick it up your top, make out your pregnant' he says to my mum...
they both take seats casually, fag in hand, prentending to be expectant parents with a ultimax football up mums coat!

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 12:09 - Jun 18 with 7020 viewsgainsboroughblue

1980. It was my first year of going to games. Dad had only started taking me. Had watched us play Coventry I think, and we were due to play Norwich on the Tuesday. I excitedly asked him about going to the Norwich game (I was unaware of rivalry at this point). He said 'Erm, no, adults only allowed into Norwich games'.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 12:19 - Jun 18 with 7000 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Well, there was this time at Carrow Road...

Poll: Best Football Song

As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 12:59 - Jun 18 with 6942 viewsunbelievablue

So many. Childhood littered with them and they are all extremely vivid. I remember taking a huge elbow to the face on one of the rare occasions when he took me into the North Lower, during the 2-2 against Chelsea on boxing day, as he got a little carried away with his 'Reuser, Reuser' chant and associated arm thrust.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 13:01 - Jun 18 with 6932 viewsGlasgowBlue

Away at an FA cup game at Luton. May have been 1981 or 82. I was in my late teens.

After the match some Luton hoolies gobbed at me so my old man chased them down the street . Eventually they ended up in a cul de sac where he suddenly thought "WTF am I doing chasing these lads half my age"?

So they chased him down the street. It was like the scene from OFAH where Del Boy chased a mugger.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2017 13:24]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 13:18 - Jun 18 with 6889 viewsbluewein

The old man, my brother and myself were in the Madjeski having a pint before the game. Dad had just got a new phone. He's a proper technophobe, so watching him try to use it was painful and hilarious at the same time.

At one point, he heard his phone go off and you could see the excitement in his face that he got a chance to use it. So he puts his pint down by his feet and takes the phone out of his pocket. The phone was in one of those old velcro cases, and when he went to check his phone he pulled it out upside down, the velcro strap opened and the phone fell straight into his pint. I spent most of that game laughing my tits off, and him telling me to feck off.

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 14:07 - Jun 18 with 6819 viewsWarkystache

My first ever trip to PR was with my dad in 1984, we sat in the Portman terrace and mum had done us a packed lunch of cheese and tomato sarnies, bags of frazzles and scotch eggs. Trouble is, we never fancied it when we got there so he treated me to a McDonalds (which was a very rare treat saved for birthdays back then).

We parked in the Buttermarket and won 1-0 v Sunderland. Dad went for a pint in The Plough and I had a lager shandy. I was ten.

Watch this extract from another match we went to in 1986. I'd've just turned twelve the previous day. Go to 6:07 and there's my dad in his red jumper and shades with me sat next to him (at the end of the Pleasurewood Hills advert).

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 14:14 - Jun 18 with 6791 viewsosborne

When I was 11 I was sitting in school one hot May afternoon and a prefect came to the classroom and said my father was waiting for me in the car park as I had an appointment. I went to the car park feeling a bit pleased to get out of school early but a bit anxious that I might be going to the dentist. When I got in the car my dad gave me an envelope - inside were two tickets for Man U vs Benfica European Cup Final at Wembley! Good old dad. Bless him. A very treasured memory, that night.
As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 14:15 - Jun 18 with 6788 viewsyesjohn99

Christ! Where to start.

Last game of promotion season in 92. Brighton at home. He ran on pitch 5 mins before kick off in just his long johns.

I was mascot at Plymouth argyle 90/91 ish. Held johnny walks hand ready to run out. He ran out infront! Oldest mascot of all time.

Holding my hand with his left, pinging Norwich fans with his right at carrow rd xmas 93.

I could go on...
Login to get fewer ads

As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 14:38 - Jun 18 with 6739 viewsJ2BLUE

When I was about 9-10 my family in Manchester were battling for my football soul and lent my dad and I their season tickets for a televised game. My dad took me to Manchester for the weekend. We went all over the place and got to the ground about 2pm for a 5pm kick off and just soaked up the atmosphere. It was a decent game from memory capped off by Beckham, my favourite united player, getting the third in a 3-0 win.

Of course, longer term, United could never compete with the club in my hometown where the stadium was within walking distance of my home and it just meant more. By the time I started high school I was 100% Town. I regret nothing.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 14:40 - Jun 18 with 6735 viewsFtnfwest

My own father loves football but was never a fan of any particular club so I had to make my own way into spectating. My story is completely current having got ftnfwest jnr back into footy about 3 years ago, he's now 16, but his best mate is a massive Luton fan as are several other friends and he's been to as many Luton games as Ipswich in the last 3 years. So having drawn them away on Friday in the whatever it is cup, I'd assumed he would go into the home end with his friends but yesterday when I asked him if that was what he was going to do he said 'nah dad I'm Ipswich till I die'
As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 18:35 - Jun 18 with 6599 viewsimsureazzure

1975 Filbert street v Leeds FA cup 6th round 2nd replay.

Me and my dad were in the very very cramped side stand, dad was a very vocal supporter and on this occasion his two false teeth flew out and forward 10 yards.

The first thing my mum said when we arrived home was why didn't we wait until after the game to look for them! There must have been 5 thousand people trampled over them.
As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 19:31 - Jun 18 with 6528 viewshoppy

Nothing really that stands out apart from the memory of standing on a milk crate behind one of the crush barriers in churchmans getting me hooked on watching a live game. In fact the only amazing thing about it was that dad did it, took me along, carried the crate for me and was the reason I was there at all.

My dad has no interest in football whatsoever and never has, or sport in general really, with the exception probably of snooker, he did it selflessly for me as he knew I enjoyed it and took me quite often even though he may have been thinking what he could've been doing in the garden or his workshop. I know he won't see this, but thank you, dad.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 20:09 - Jun 18 with 6494 viewsPJH

I do not have a single specific memory of football related things with my Dad but I have him and my Mum to thank for first taking me to PR as a 3 or 4 year old,I only know that I must have been 3 or 4 because I know I saw Jack Parry play and I was only 4 and a bit when he left.
I saw us win the League with my Dad (and Mum) and my Dad along with a couple of mates was with me in Amsterdam to see us win the UEFA Cup 19 years later.
As a Dad my greatest single memory football related concerning me and my Son is him jumping all over me when Marcus Stewart got our 3rd goal at Wembley in 2000.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2017 20:32]
As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 20:12 - Jun 18 with 6492 viewsLesta_Tractor

Only been to a couple of games with my dad and always felt like I wasn't all that welcome.

That said he did take me to my first game in 92 and to Wembley in 00.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 21:15 - Jun 18 with 6431 viewsASAx

Hard to know where to start. We've been to over 750 games together at home and probably 50 or so away.

Amongst them would have to be a few Norwich away wins, Bolton in the playoffs, Derby 3-1 when we thought we'd stay up in 2002, West Ham 2-2 in the playoffs at Upton Park, the list goes on.

Probably have to say 4-0 at Norwich in the Hospital Cup. I absolutely hated Norwich by then and to trounce them when a division lower was amazing. I was about 9 and I then ended up being taken by my old man in Sloanes Nightclub!

Age 9 and I get in a nightclub as my dad swung it by knowing the owner. I'm sat on a sofa with two drunk women in mini skirts pretending to flirt with me whilst I'm drinking Coke from a glass bottle and watching Banarama singing Help on MTV or similar and singing 'Help us if you can we're feeling down. I've just been thumped four nil by Ipswich Town'.
As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 21:31 - Jun 18 with 6403 viewsbluejake78

As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 14:07 - Jun 18 by Warkystache

My first ever trip to PR was with my dad in 1984, we sat in the Portman terrace and mum had done us a packed lunch of cheese and tomato sarnies, bags of frazzles and scotch eggs. Trouble is, we never fancied it when we got there so he treated me to a McDonalds (which was a very rare treat saved for birthdays back then).

We parked in the Buttermarket and won 1-0 v Sunderland. Dad went for a pint in The Plough and I had a lager shandy. I was ten.

Watch this extract from another match we went to in 1986. I'd've just turned twelve the previous day. Go to 6:07 and there's my dad in his red jumper and shades with me sat next to him (at the end of the Pleasurewood Hills advert).

Borrowed Dads car that day.We had Camberwell carrots.The trip back to Bury was like a magic carpet.
As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 21:32 - Jun 18 with 6403 viewsjontysnut

As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 18:35 - Jun 18 by imsureazzure

1975 Filbert street v Leeds FA cup 6th round 2nd replay.

Me and my dad were in the very very cramped side stand, dad was a very vocal supporter and on this occasion his two false teeth flew out and forward 10 yards.

The first thing my mum said when we arrived home was why didn't we wait until after the game to look for them! There must have been 5 thousand people trampled over them.

Same game with my dad belting out keep right on to the end of the road in the club style ' herkeep a right ona too the hend of the heroooooad' . Also when he dragged me to a work 5 a side and played in carpet slippers.
As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 21:48 - Jun 18 with 6370 viewsGunnsAirkick

Some great stories on here, they have made me smile. I lost my Dad a couple of months ago, so today has been tough (even though he wasn't a fan of Father's Day).

Best memory was 1996 home Derby; I was 11, got a bit excited and managed to get over the barrier after Gunn's miskick, he ran after me but instead of being angry (which I thought he would be) he was laughing, celebrating and looked proud rather than angry, I will never forget that! 2000 Play Offs is another, I had my first beer with him and my Uncles on the way back from Wembley, such a good day that.
As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 21:50 - Jun 18 with 6364 viewstextbackup

As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 14:15 - Jun 18 by yesjohn99

Christ! Where to start.

Last game of promotion season in 92. Brighton at home. He ran on pitch 5 mins before kick off in just his long johns.

I was mascot at Plymouth argyle 90/91 ish. Held johnny walks hand ready to run out. He ran out infront! Oldest mascot of all time.

Holding my hand with his left, pinging Norwich fans with his right at carrow rd xmas 93.

I could go on...

Can't believe you didn't mention MK dons at the hockey stadium!

Kingy 'right next person on the pitch is getting nicked'

We proceed to lift your dad up and roll him over the edge

Kingy 'old man XXXX just fcking get up'

Hahahaha

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 22:38 - Jun 18 with 6323 viewsyesjohn99

As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 21:50 - Jun 18 by textbackup

Can't believe you didn't mention MK dons at the hockey stadium!

Kingy 'right next person on the pitch is getting nicked'

We proceed to lift your dad up and roll him over the edge

Kingy 'old man XXXX just fcking get up'

Hahahaha

That's a another good'un.

Multiple pitch invasions. Favourite away one was oxford in 92 when we confirmed promotion. 10 years old on dads shoulders standing next to TS with Dozzy on his!
As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 22:43 - Jun 18 with 6314 viewsmonytowbray

Mine would probably be 2001 in Milan when the centre was blocked off to local football fans for security reasons.

This Italian bloke came up to my Dad and was like "YOU IPSWICH, YOU IPSWICH" with a big smile on his face. My Dad replied yes and he said "ME INTER ME INTER" and lifted his sleeve to show his Inter scarf around his wrist. My Dad went to shake his hand and he said "DON'T YOU F*CKING TOUCH ME" and revealed a knife in his pocket. We walked away sharpish.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 23:16 - Jun 18 with 6264 viewsReuser_is_God

Singing rocking all over the world Wembley 2000

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 23:20 - Jun 18 with 6249 viewsblustutu

My old man supported Man U, but moved down here and happily took me to watch Town play when I decided to support them. He now looks for our scores first. That's being a Dad.
As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 23:47 - Jun 18 with 6210 views12th_Man

Well I never knew my dad so my best football memory was going to Portman Road with my mum we were playing Brighton 1992 won the title and got on the pitch with my brother after the game

Poll: Would you like ITFC to sign Colchester's Kane Vincent-Young

As it's Father's Day - your favourite Dad/football memory/story on 23:50 - Jun 18 with 6203 viewsMelford

I know I've posted it a million times before, but watching your old man at Helsingborg performing a one man pitch invasion live on the Beeb always makes me laugh.
Bang on 5.00, here he comes.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024