Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... 13:07 - Sep 18 with 14550 viewsReuser_is_God

For me it's not down to style alone, it's probably more to do with the results.

2 things will improve the attendance at PR....

1) reduced ticket prices, which the club has already acknowledged & actioned
2) a team that constantly plays at a high tempo & look a threat going forward whilst winning more often that not (see 14/15)

Loads of possession, short passes, long ball, long passes, shots on target etc have fcuk all to do with it.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 16:39 - Sep 18 with 6359 viewsRobTheMonk

Could the fact that 'overseas' *cough* fans can now watch via iFollow have had an effect?

We've not played well and could be top of the league with our game in hand. If we had played well and been in thIS position I think it would be a different story.
My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 18:05 - Sep 18 with 6332 viewsBenters

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 14:45 - Sep 18 by Vaughan8

Surely you aren't comparing attendances in 1998 to now?

For that Swindon game there were 9388 seats empty the attendance was 13212 and the stadium could have held 22600.

Saturday with the attendance of 14164 that means there were 16147 seats empty and the stadium could have held 30311.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 19:04 - Sep 18 with 6315 viewsTractorWood

To me the club is bereft of energy. MM might be the right guy to keep us up on the relatively shoestring budget but he's not the guy to get bums on seats.

Saturday at half time was the first time I really questioned why I was there. As others have said if you come from a decent distance, have other trappings orbiting your life, it really is an effort to firstly go to Portman Road and then to spend under £100 between, say a couple.

Mick's doing a fair job on the budget but the sheer number of empty seats are a quiet and poignant reminder of the clubs lack of strategy and enthusiasm. We'll Bob along occasionally threatening top half and occasionally threatening relegation but it'll be another nothing season for us.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Good post, except don't necessarily agree with the last sentence on 19:33 - Sep 18 with 6296 viewsDyland

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 19:04 - Sep 18 by TractorWood

To me the club is bereft of energy. MM might be the right guy to keep us up on the relatively shoestring budget but he's not the guy to get bums on seats.

Saturday at half time was the first time I really questioned why I was there. As others have said if you come from a decent distance, have other trappings orbiting your life, it really is an effort to firstly go to Portman Road and then to spend under £100 between, say a couple.

Mick's doing a fair job on the budget but the sheer number of empty seats are a quiet and poignant reminder of the clubs lack of strategy and enthusiasm. We'll Bob along occasionally threatening top half and occasionally threatening relegation but it'll be another nothing season for us.

Too early to say really.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

I don't know about Nigel from Stowmarket on 19:40 - Sep 18 with 6287 viewsDyland

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 14:07 - Sep 18 by Illinoisblue

Stagnation plays a big part - 15 years in the same division will over time kill off hope and enthusiasm.

The Mick factor - I think he's doing a good job with the scraps Evans gives him. And I like the fact Mick doesn't play up the injury crisis as much as other managers would. I also acknowledge from what I've seen and read that the football has often been awful to watch. Crucially, for Suffolkians, Mick's not a bridge builder. His tell it like it is approach is not going to woo back Nigel from Stoomarket.

but Nigel from Radio Suffolk on Saturday is beyond div. As one-eyed as Malc vs. Royal.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 20:13 - Sep 18 with 6264 viewsbluejacko

I am amazed that this needs talking about.
When the club decided to stuff season tkt holders they were told by all and sundry what would happen,also not replacing MM hasn't helped.
So now to wonder about the attendance figures is a bit baffling.
They have bought it upon themselves by not listening in the first place!
My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 21:14 - Sep 18 with 6219 viewsVaughan8

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 18:05 - Sep 18 by Benters

For that Swindon game there were 9388 seats empty the attendance was 13212 and the stadium could have held 22600.

Saturday with the attendance of 14164 that means there were 16147 seats empty and the stadium could have held 30311.

My point was that football has changed massively in 20 years. More people go now than in 1998, it's become a much bigger thing.
My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 22:14 - Sep 18 with 6187 viewsChocorange

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 16:04 - Sep 18 by bluehook

Starting so defensively against one of the bottom sides is a factor. Dull tactics.
All MM is interested in is not losing, and then hopefully nicking one or two.
Starting with a bright attacking side with the likes of Celina would excite the fans, and increase the gate.
If then we lose you can all blame me. Simples.

Agree with bluehook.

The first half v Bolton was turgid. And obvious it was going to be from the moment the team was named.

The same sort of line up that lost to Rotherham with 9 defensive players ( a midfield of Skuse Dougie and Hyam?oh the joy) and which drew 0-0 at home to Wolves when they were in a terrible run of form.

Now both those games were in the second half of the season, when MM could say we were in s battle for every single point.

But now , it's early in the season, if u can't go for it at home to the bottom team now...when will you?

Where's the attacking play and blooding of town youngsters? Gone gone gone.
Just Kenlock, when Knudsen was injured.

The only good point above the other games mentioned, MM did actually change it at half time....
Login to get fewer ads

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 22:20 - Sep 18 with 6176 viewsPJH

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 22:14 - Sep 18 by Chocorange

Agree with bluehook.

The first half v Bolton was turgid. And obvious it was going to be from the moment the team was named.

The same sort of line up that lost to Rotherham with 9 defensive players ( a midfield of Skuse Dougie and Hyam?oh the joy) and which drew 0-0 at home to Wolves when they were in a terrible run of form.

Now both those games were in the second half of the season, when MM could say we were in s battle for every single point.

But now , it's early in the season, if u can't go for it at home to the bottom team now...when will you?

Where's the attacking play and blooding of town youngsters? Gone gone gone.
Just Kenlock, when Knudsen was injured.

The only good point above the other games mentioned, MM did actually change it at half time....

If you are talking about last season we didn't lose to Rotherham(at home) despite the efforts of the North Stand and neither Douglas nor Hyam played.
My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 06:04 - Sep 19 with 6106 viewsBenters

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 21:14 - Sep 18 by Vaughan8

My point was that football has changed massively in 20 years. More people go now than in 1998, it's become a much bigger thing.

To have more empty seats then full in a football stadium never looks good.

Still the people have spoke and voted with their feet,the question is now if we finish higher than 15th will Evans extend MMs contract?

I have fell out of the habit of going after being a regular for close on 30yrs,now id rather go out on my push bike,go across my local have a few jars and watch Sky Sports.

Gentlybentley

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 06:28 - Sep 19 with 6100 viewsBenters

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 22:20 - Sep 18 by PJH

If you are talking about last season we didn't lose to Rotherham(at home) despite the efforts of the North Stand and neither Douglas nor Hyam played.

Another dig at our long suffering fans ?

I hope we didnt upset you at QPR?

Bless x

Gentlybentley

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 06:28 - Sep 19 with 6102 viewsTractorBoyOlly

People are missing the obvious points here. In my view there are three groups of town fans.

1) The has been generation - Oh but we won the FA Cup in 1978 and UEFA Cup in 1981 so we are worldbeaters.

2) The 90s generation - They remember town as one of the teams to form the original Premier league and therefore expect us to be there right now.

3) My generation - Witnessed the playoff final in 2000 and a fantastic Premier league campaign, followed by relegation and 16...SIXTEEN, years in the Championship with only a handful of those campaigns leading to the playoffs.

We are where we are and I accept that. I believe Mick is doing the best with what he can given the amount of money and Keane and Jewell frittered away on dross. We are not worldbeaters by any means and the football may be poor but if he keeps doing what he is doing the fans will slowly start to come back. Give Mick till the end of the season and see out his contract. If it doesn't work out then we can start afresh but I challenge you to find a manager who can do what he is doing for us right now. COYB

Poll: Final points total?

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 06:32 - Sep 19 with 6100 viewsCurrie10

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 14:52 - Sep 18 by MattinLondon

It does annoy me when people go from one extreme to the other.

It is possible to play passing attractive football and not physically strong and still achieve promotion. Teams like Swansea and Bournemouth have proved this.

MM will never change. He will always be a safety first manager who prefers old school footballers who are proper blokes. Ok, if you don't care about style but that will never win back fans

Slight issue there, Bournemouth gambled the future of their club on overspending and achieved a miracle.

Had they not gone up 14/15, they'd have been on their way back to League 2.
My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 06:38 - Sep 19 with 6094 viewsBenters

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 06:28 - Sep 19 by TractorBoyOlly

People are missing the obvious points here. In my view there are three groups of town fans.

1) The has been generation - Oh but we won the FA Cup in 1978 and UEFA Cup in 1981 so we are worldbeaters.

2) The 90s generation - They remember town as one of the teams to form the original Premier league and therefore expect us to be there right now.

3) My generation - Witnessed the playoff final in 2000 and a fantastic Premier league campaign, followed by relegation and 16...SIXTEEN, years in the Championship with only a handful of those campaigns leading to the playoffs.

We are where we are and I accept that. I believe Mick is doing the best with what he can given the amount of money and Keane and Jewell frittered away on dross. We are not worldbeaters by any means and the football may be poor but if he keeps doing what he is doing the fans will slowly start to come back. Give Mick till the end of the season and see out his contract. If it doesn't work out then we can start afresh but I challenge you to find a manager who can do what he is doing for us right now. COYB

'But if he keeps doing what he he is doing'

Loads of people have said it was crap on Saturday (the first half was a shocker).

See also QPR that was the old MM right there,go out for a draw and only decided to get his finger out at 2.0 down.

Gentlybentley

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 06:52 - Sep 19 with 6082 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 14:45 - Sep 18 by Vaughan8

Surely you aren't comparing attendances in 1998 to now?

Surely it was obvious that was a joke?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 07:23 - Sep 19 with 6057 viewsChocorange

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 22:20 - Sep 18 by PJH

The clue is in the player names mentioned and the result....

Therefore not last season!

Negative tactics at home to poor teams have been going on that long
[Post edited 19 Sep 2017 7:24]
My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 07:24 - Sep 19 with 6053 viewsCurrie10

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 18:05 - Sep 18 by Benters

Could be wrong, however thought we were down to the high 28,000s now interms of capacity.

Still awful though!
My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 07:58 - Sep 19 with 6036 viewsMaySixth

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 13:12 - Sep 18 by Benters

I knew it was low Saturday but the lowest attendance since Swindon in 1998!

It shows a lot of people are bored sh1tless with MMs brand of football.

I wanted to be excited after the QPR game,and wanted to start coming again,but nothing has changed.

Im out.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2017 13:57]

the world shrugs

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 09:35 - Sep 19 with 6013 viewsSW6Tractor

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 14:26 - Sep 18 by flimflam

In Jan which of the following would bring more fans back?

1 - 6th place, playing poorly but winning and grinding out results.
2 - 17th playing great football, introducing the yoof but not able to compete physically

?

One risks destroying the club for potentially a decade or more, one doesn't.

We also play the yoof more than most clubs.
My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 10:20 - Sep 19 with 5999 views3_5_2

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 15:55 - Sep 18 by Illinoisblue

club should flood the schools of Suffolk and Essex with free tickets.

Agree

I was looking at the type of people who attended Saturday and I got the impression that there are not many teenagers going. Younger kids with mum/ dad but not so many older ones.

I blame the premiership !

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 10:36 - Sep 19 with 5983 viewsbluewein

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 06:28 - Sep 19 by Benters

Another dig at our long suffering fans ?

I hope we didnt upset you at QPR?

Bless x

What PJH could say here if he was a petty chap is something like...

"Sad case mate.

He is allowed by admin to have pops at me all day and nothing gets said.

Two weeks ago admin said they didnt want all the snipping on here,so i want get pulled into a argument with the sad man.

Just let him get on with it."

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Good post, except don't necessarily agree with the last sentence on 03:56 - Sep 20 with 5908 viewsTractorWood

Good post, except don't necessarily agree with the last sentence on 19:33 - Sep 18 by Dyland

Too early to say really.

Have you heard of Occam's razor?

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 06:25 - Sep 20 with 5884 viewsBenters

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 10:36 - Sep 19 by bluewein

What PJH could say here if he was a petty chap is something like...

"Sad case mate.

He is allowed by admin to have pops at me all day and nothing gets said.

Two weeks ago admin said they didnt want all the snipping on here,so i want get pulled into a argument with the sad man.

Just let him get on with it."

You are wrong .

I take it you havent been on here the past two weeks?

As per always on here its not what gets said its who said it.

Gentlybentley

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 08:30 - Sep 20 with 5854 viewsitfcjoe

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 19:04 - Sep 18 by TractorWood

I think the issue is that even though results are good we aren't really gaining any momentum off the pitch which makes it more difficult - beat Leeds on Saturday and you'd expect a good crowd and atmosphere for Sunderland on Tuesday to lift the team a bit but it won't happen.

It's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy but what are the options? A new owner is the only good one because I can't see Evans upping the budget, or even keeping it at the same level if Mick were to go

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 08:40 - Sep 20 with 5844 viewstractorboy1978

My brief thoughts on style, attendances etc... on 08:30 - Sep 20 by itfcjoe

I think the issue is that even though results are good we aren't really gaining any momentum off the pitch which makes it more difficult - beat Leeds on Saturday and you'd expect a good crowd and atmosphere for Sunderland on Tuesday to lift the team a bit but it won't happen.

It's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy but what are the options? A new owner is the only good one because I can't see Evans upping the budget, or even keeping it at the same level if Mick were to go

The belief a few good results will put bums on seats is a little deluded. There are a range of reasons why the attendances have dropped so markedly over the course of ME's tenure but once people have gone it is very difficult to get them back en masse. I thought the match day re-pricing by the club was a decent move in the summer but that hasn't had a great deal of impact number wise. Our attendances will be 15-18k barring the odd exception (Norwich and perhaps the £10 deal days if we are doing particularly well at the point they fall and they fall on a day there is a large away following)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024