Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... 05:26 - Jan 3 with 7308 viewsurbanblue

..... didn't those supporting him generally say he should be given more time, at least until Christmas?

If I remember correctly, didn't even those wanting him to go rather begrudgingly say okay, let's give him a bit longer and see how the new season starts.

So are we now all in agreement that now it's time for a change?
At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 05:53 - Jan 3 with 5583 viewsOsborneOneNil

100%.
At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 05:55 - Jan 3 with 5583 viewsBenters2

Yes get someone new in now.

I dont buy all this crap wait until Mick Mac has a think about it in the summer.

I also dont buy we will go down without Mick Mac.
At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 06:12 - Jan 3 with 5560 viewsurbanblue

At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 05:55 - Jan 3 by Benters2

Yes get someone new in now.

I dont buy all this crap wait until Mick Mac has a think about it in the summer.

I also dont buy we will go down without Mick Mac.

I agree. 40 odd years of supporting Town and I have never been so totally disinterested as I am now. I know I live overseas but I used to watch or listen to as many games as I could. I would disect every game reading all the reports and gleaning as much info as I could on here.

Now it's just check the score, speed read the report and a couple of comments to get the gist and log off!! I started this season excited about i follow and being able to watch the games but don't bother now.

We should take the plunge and bring in someone new now.
At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 06:36 - Jan 3 with 5528 viewsBenters2

At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 06:12 - Jan 3 by urbanblue

I agree. 40 odd years of supporting Town and I have never been so totally disinterested as I am now. I know I live overseas but I used to watch or listen to as many games as I could. I would disect every game reading all the reports and gleaning as much info as I could on here.

Now it's just check the score, speed read the report and a couple of comments to get the gist and log off!! I started this season excited about i follow and being able to watch the games but don't bother now.

We should take the plunge and bring in someone new now.

Same as.

30 years going to watch,many years as a season ticket holder,and taking friends and family along for a day out,now it really is a struggle for me to make myself go to the games,the only thing i look forward to is seeing friends in the pub first.

Sad sad times.
At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 07:22 - Jan 3 with 5435 viewscarlisleaway

Have agreed with that for the past 2 years, surely anyone else would give us more hope for the future.
At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 07:31 - Jan 3 with 5426 viewstextbackup

For two or three seasons now it’s been ‘give him until Xmas and another transfer window’ ‘he deserve that much’ ‘super mick’
And now the same silly tw6ts seem to think he’ll play full team and go all out to win the FA cup. Wake up, it’s the same thing every Cnting season

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 07:36 - Jan 3 with 5385 viewsBenters2

At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 07:31 - Jan 3 by textbackup

For two or three seasons now it’s been ‘give him until Xmas and another transfer window’ ‘he deserve that much’ ‘super mick’
And now the same silly tw6ts seem to think he’ll play full team and go all out to win the FA cup. Wake up, it’s the same thing every Cnting season

This.
At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 07:59 - Jan 3 with 5352 viewshomer_123

As I replied to Joe last night.

If I thought a change of manager would bring about a genuine change in our fortunes, then I'd be supporting said change with greater vigor.

The issue, as I see it, is that our owner seems disinclined to 'invest' in his managers - therefore, any manager coming in, is likely to have to work within the same financial constraints that Mick has been working under.

If that is the case - then, who is better than Mick (and available to us under our current financial situ) in working under those circumstances? It feels like 'better the devil you know', at the moment.

If the financial landscape does change or could change with a change in manager (and I'm not advocating spending tens of millions), then I agree, it's time for a change.

Otherwise, we might find ourselves out of the frying pan and into the fire.

All the above being said - I can completely see that a change may well be needed regardless. As Joe pointed out, season ticket sales are coming up, the relationship between Mick and the fans is deteriorating daily, among many other things.

The slightly ironic thing for me, is that I believe Mick has actually made some positive signings this season and also attempted to play with both a little more attacking flair and variety - it's not perfect but it's an improvement.

Finally, what I would say is that I'd like Mick to be remembered for the positives he brought to the Club - I do, believe he's done a very decent/ good job under the circumstances he has had to work under. He certainly has been a very significant improvement over Jewell and Keane.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2018 8:10]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 08:14 - Jan 3 with 5311 viewsitfcjoe

At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 07:31 - Jan 3 by textbackup

I know we disagreed last year, but I'm convinced letting him get us safe was the right thing to do, but that he should have gone once safety was confirmed.

After it was clear he was statying on, I've supported him - and think he's recruited well in the summer - bu whether it be the injury crisis and struggles we've had, or anything else, his time now here is done. We aren't going to make the play offs, he's not going to be here next year, what is the point?

The Cup game this week will p155 me off, the club are making a big thing about the 40th anniversary of the '78 win, it's a feature in every programme this year etc with a big dinner planned - and despite our season being over we are going to treat it like a pre season friendly and put a 2nd string team out. Even if we get through it's not enough. In actual fact I'd rather lose with a full strength team than win with the reserves as perverse as that sounds.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 08:17 - Jan 3 with 5295 viewsKeaneish

The fact he never walked after the Lincoln told me all i needed to know about the man. His time was up then and we're another year on. 100% he should go. I'd rather he went now than the summer. I see no sense in waiting.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 08:25 - Jan 3 with 5271 viewsKieran_Knows

100% that it's time for a change ... it was time last summer, but hey ho.

The only worry that I would have with changing managers now is, would we be able to attract an up and coming younger manager mid way through the season who is doing well elsewhere (Nathan Jones at Luton for example)? Are we seen as an attractive proposition still?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 08:28 - Jan 3 with 5251 viewsBenters2

At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 08:25 - Jan 3 by Kieran_Knows

The only worry that I would have with changing managers now is, would we be able to attract an up and coming younger manager mid way through the season who is doing well elsewhere (Nathan Jones at Luton for example)? Are we seen as an attractive proposition still?

Nathan Jones He's been gone too long.
At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 08:29 - Jan 3 with 5250 viewsLord_Lucan

At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 07:59 - Jan 3 by homer_123

If I thought a change of manager would bring about a genuine change in our fortunes, then I'd be supporting said change with greater vigor.

The issue, as I see it, is that our owner seems disinclined to 'invest' in his managers - therefore, any manager coming in, is likely to have to work within the same financial constraints that Mick has been working under.

If that is the case - then, who is better than Mick (and available to us under our current financial situ) in working under those circumstances? It feels like 'better the devil you know', at the moment.

If the financial landscape does change or could change with a change in manager (and I'm not advocating spending tens of millions), then I agree, it's time for a change.

All the above being said - I can completely see that a change may well be needed regardless. As Joe pointed out, season ticket sales are coming up, the relationship between Mick and the fans is deteriorating daily, among many other things.

The slightly ironic thing for me, is that I believe Mick has actually made some positive signings this season and also attempted to play with both a little more attacking flair and variety - it's not perfect but it's an improvement.

Finally, what I would say is that I'd like Mick to be remembered for the positives he brought to the Club - I do, believe he's done a very decent/ good job under the circumstances he has had to work under. He certainly has been a very significant improvement over Jewell and Keane.

I said last season that once we were safe we should replace him.

The situation is thus; We are not going anywhere under MMC and if Evans doesn't want to bank roll a manager then we probably aren't going anywhere with a new manager either, but, our only remote hope we have is replace Mick and hope that we fluke a promotion.

Evans though won't pay Mick off and the season is b$ggered already so we have to deal with it unfortunately. The biggest problem is that there doesn't seem to be anyone else out there.

I still like the idea of the Dutch guy who was rumoured, I appreciate he might turn out to be a Farke but a quick fluke is our only hope.

Evans should block any new transfers in and let the new manager build his own team when he arrives.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 08:32 - Jan 3 with 5234 viewsDanTheMan

I'd hope we are starting the manager search now, and just waiting for the right person to come available. We won't go down this season (at least I can't see that happening) so we should only sack Mick when we have the replacement ready to go.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 08:34 - Jan 3 with 5222 viewshomer_123

At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 08:29 - Jan 3 by Lord_Lucan

I said last season that once we were safe we should replace him.

The situation is thus; We are not going anywhere under MMC and if Evans doesn't want to bank roll a manager then we probably aren't going anywhere with a new manager either, but, our only remote hope we have is replace Mick and hope that we fluke a promotion.

Evans though won't pay Mick off and the season is b$ggered already so we have to deal with it unfortunately. The biggest problem is that there doesn't seem to be anyone else out there.

I still like the idea of the Dutch guy who was rumoured, I appreciate he might turn out to be a Farke but a quick fluke is our only hope.

Evans should block any new transfers in and let the new manager build his own team when he arrives.

I do understand that thinking Lucs.

If Evans isn't willing to put some decent money forward to assist a new manager, then a fluke is indeed required.

In that regard, Mick's ship has likely sailed, I too am unsure if he'll get closer than he has done already with us.

It's a pretty dire and depressing situation.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 09:19 - Jan 3 with 5135 viewstextbackup

At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 08:14 - Jan 3 by itfcjoe

I know we disagreed last year, but I'm convinced letting him get us safe was the right thing to do, but that he should have gone once safety was confirmed.

After it was clear he was statying on, I've supported him - and think he's recruited well in the summer - bu whether it be the injury crisis and struggles we've had, or anything else, his time now here is done. We aren't going to make the play offs, he's not going to be here next year, what is the point?

The Cup game this week will p155 me off, the club are making a big thing about the 40th anniversary of the '78 win, it's a feature in every programme this year etc with a big dinner planned - and despite our season being over we are going to treat it like a pre season friendly and put a 2nd string team out. Even if we get through it's not enough. In actual fact I'd rather lose with a full strength team than win with the reserves as perverse as that sounds.

Agree on all of that.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 09:23 - Jan 3 with 5119 viewsurbanblue

At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 07:59 - Jan 3 by homer_123

Some good points but I cannot agree with the 'Better the devil you know' comment.

There are millions of people who stay in jobs, relationships and lives they hate for that very reason. Sometimes you have to make the break , take a chance, to improve a situation that is just going to go on and on in the same way.

There are managers out there who I am sure can create something on a tight budget. Micks not the only one. Let's go for it!
At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 09:27 - Jan 3 with 5101 viewsMullet

At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 09:23 - Jan 3 by urbanblue

Some good points but I cannot agree with the 'Better the devil you know' comment.

There are millions of people who stay in jobs, relationships and lives they hate for that very reason. Sometimes you have to make the break , take a chance, to improve a situation that is just going to go on and on in the same way.

There are managers out there who I am sure can create something on a tight budget. Micks not the only one. Let's go for it!

Who though?

That's the main issue. If it's no longer about "style" then who ticks those boxes remaining?

The issue is Evans. Until he changes we don't as a club. if he does change, he's betrayed Mick and worse, us. Where would that cash come from anyway?

If it's just a case of "anyone but Mick" then we just go around in circles anyway but with Phil Brown, Brian McDermott et al. taking a paycheque some people will resent when we're nowhere different in 5 years time.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 09:34 - Jan 3 with 5068 viewsurbanblue

At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 09:27 - Jan 3 by Mullet

Who though?

That's the main issue. If it's no longer about "style" then who ticks those boxes remaining?

The issue is Evans. Until he changes we don't as a club. if he does change, he's betrayed Mick and worse, us. Where would that cash come from anyway?

If it's just a case of "anyone but Mick" then we just go around in circles anyway but with Phil Brown, Brian McDermott et al. taking a paycheque some people will resent when we're nowhere different in 5 years time.

I have no idea who Mullet. If only it was that easy eh.

I would like to see someone young and hungry though. Mick just isn't hungry enough and strikes me as going through the motions doing what he's always done.

Years ago I really wanted us to get Chris Hughton. Someone starting out like he was then.
At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 09:39 - Jan 3 with 5045 viewsNazemariner

Time to move on Mick.

Football is not about surviving in a division, its about excelling.

The Premier League has led to a generation of football fans who believe that success is for the privileged few, and the rest of us should be happy to be in their company.

I'd rather go down trying to play football, than carry on as we are.
At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 09:40 - Jan 3 with 5044 viewsMullet

At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 09:34 - Jan 3 by urbanblue

I have no idea who Mullet. If only it was that easy eh.

I would like to see someone young and hungry though. Mick just isn't hungry enough and strikes me as going through the motions doing what he's always done.

Years ago I really wanted us to get Chris Hughton. Someone starting out like he was then.

I think the fact he's still here disputes the "hungry" comment.

You can see he's desperate to right it here, and walk away showing once and for all what a good job he's done since taking over. It's quite telling that so many outside see it and reference their disbelief at the stick he gets. Way beyond close mats like Colin and Ollie too.

A young manager is best in terms of clean slates for all, but it'd take someone with nuts to come here in that position. We don't exactly have the makings of a club on the up. If anything we're more likely to tip to the Leeds/Forest/Blunts models that eventually slipped under.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 09:40 - Jan 3 with 5042 viewsPinewoodblue

There isn't any need to sack Mick.

Evans Shoild make an announcement confirming Mick will be leaving at the end of the season. He should then appoint a director of football and announce he is tasked with having a new coaching team in situ by Easter.

If Mick doesn't want to be remembered as a greedy bar steward he will walk . If he doesn't then buy him and Terry wellies and send them both on gardening leave.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 09:41 - Jan 3 with 5036 viewsHerbivore

2 weeks ago you were fending off your Wednesday supporting mate from sniffing around Mick, it's funny how quickly things can change in football.

The only value in letting him go now is if we actually have someone else lined up. No point at all in sacking Mick now and paying him off when he can go more cheaply later in the season or for nothing at the end of the season, unless we already have a new manager in mind who could come in now and have a few months to assess the squad before the summer. Fans aren't going to be happy seeing us spluttering to the end of the season under a caretaker manager no matter what they might be saying in the heat of a post-match defeat.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 11:51 - Jan 3 with 4917 viewsKeaneish

At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 08:25 - Jan 3 by Kieran_Knows

To an up and coming manager from the lower leagues, we absolutely are.

Love this thread by the way. This thread is the first one where i've seen a unanimous decision from some of the main contributors on this forum that it's time for him to go. We're known for being a patient bunch of fans and its too our own detriment at times. 5 months to go. I'm counting down the days...

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

At the end of last season when a lot on here wanted Mick to go .... on 11:54 - Jan 3 with 4910 viewsBluefish

Isn't the point there that he has until Christmas and met all of his objectives?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024