Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best OFAH eposiode? 17:54 - Mar 4 with 15402 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Had a good friend over for dinner and wine last night and dusted off the UK compatible DVD player (Can't remember the last time I watched a DVD).

For some good nostalgia put on Only Fools, haven't seen it in years, she's English otherwise it would have been a waste of time explaining the jokes. Anyway watched the first series, the old ones are the best in my opinion. "Big Brother" is fantastic. One of my favorite scenes of all items when they try and chat up those two girls in the west end proclaiming Rodney is a international professional tennis player. The Russians are coming is also marvelous. Just looking at the backdrop of 1970s London, it does seem a much simpler time back then! Never gets old, brilliant stuff.

What's everyone's favorite?
Best OFAH eposiode? on 00:54 - Mar 5 with 5673 viewsgainsboroughblue

Best OFAH eposiode? on 23:58 - Mar 4 by wallyvincent

Any episode with Grandad, the first three series of OFAH for me will always be the best.
Even watching them now nearly 40 years on, they still make me chuckle out loud.

I wanted an Emperor burger and he got me a cheeeesse burger.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Best OFAH eposiode? on 10:25 - Mar 5 with 5610 viewsDeano69

Best OFAH eposiode? on 20:19 - Mar 4 by chicoazul

Seinfeld.

Explains a lot

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Best OFAH eposiode? on 10:33 - Mar 5 with 5605 viewsITFC_Forever

Jolly Boys Outing
Time On Our Hands

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Best OFAH eposiode? on 12:11 - Mar 5 with 5590 viewsconnorscontract

I watched every episode as a youngster. I even loved the theme music and the crappy black and white credits.

When Lennard Pearce died I was 13. It was announced on the news and I cried. I absolutely loved his character, and I struggled with Albert for a couple of years- he didn't have anywhere near the same depth, at least initially.

Someone else has mentioned pathos in the thread. As well as some great lines and well drawn characters played by a brilliantly cast and very strong ensemble, it is the humanity within it which makes it so strong. And there is no stronger actor of pathos than Pearce as Grandad. Just the way he says "Del Boy" in that pleading, over-dependent way is so touching. It's all about the contrasts.

Similarly, though very different in style, Outnumbered does a particularly brilliant job of shining a light on inter-generational relationships and family dynamics. There are series where each of the kids is at a slightly difficult age and come across a bit too much like coached child actors (what could be called the Rupert Grint effect: at some point playing a character across 8 years the kid you cast WILL struggle), but when it hits the sweet spot and all three are on song together, and their Grandad is adding to the chaos, it is brilliant.
Best OFAH eposiode? on 12:45 - Mar 5 with 5568 viewsGuru_of_Ipswich

Best OFAH eposiode? on 22:17 - Mar 4 by davblue

The guy who they sell the car to ends up being Dels old mate who he nearly goes to Australia with. The Christmas before last I watched pretty much all the episodes as I hadn’t seen all of them.

I don’t think it would get to air now as some of the jokes wouldn’t be allowed. The sign of a good comedy is when something still makes you laugh even though you have already seen it and it still does for me.

Seems weird that episode could have well been the last one ever, apparently there was a pay dispute and the actually ending was del going to Australia and that would have been it. But then they sorted it all out and they refilled the ending with del staying.

Just watched time in our hands this morning, just a classic how they get the comedy and the real stuff with Rodney & Cassandra losing their kid moulded in together, that takes genius.

My favs are chandelier one, Gary, chain gang and video nasty.
Best OFAH eposiode? on 12:47 - Mar 5 with 5562 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Best OFAH eposiode? on 00:54 - Mar 5 by gainsboroughblue

‘It’s a good job your mother isn’t still alive as that would have killed her’

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Best OFAH eposiode? on 13:25 - Mar 5 with 5539 viewsFinidiCentenary

There must be at least 20 episodes that are right out of the top drawer. But for me it's Fatal Extraction.

What's wrong with you you moron.

Oh just a filling.

Heroes and Villains in a close second. That Batman and Robin scene almost stopped me breathing I laughed so hard.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

Best OFAH eposiode? on 14:10 - Mar 5 with 5525 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Best OFAH eposiode? on 18:09 - Mar 4 by Archer4721

Yeah it was Bristol. The one where Rodney was an undertaker was filmed in Ipswich.Back of Wherstead Road shops.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2018 18:11]

The Young Ones was filmed in Bristol... at least their street / house is in Bristol. Just thought I'd throw that one in there

Oh, and the best episode IMO is the one where Rodney goes it alone and buys the lawnmower engines.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2018 14:13]
Login to get fewer ads

Best OFAH eposiode? on 15:30 - Mar 5 with 5497 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Best OFAH eposiode? on 22:17 - Mar 4 by davblue

The guy who they sell the car to ends up being Dels old mate who he nearly goes to Australia with. The Christmas before last I watched pretty much all the episodes as I hadn’t seen all of them.

I don’t think it would get to air now as some of the jokes wouldn’t be allowed. The sign of a good comedy is when something still makes you laugh even though you have already seen it and it still does for me.

Oh when he comes back in the pub years later? I don't think that is intentional is it? As the character in Big Brother is just an Aussie he flogs a car to. The one years down the line is an expat.
Best OFAH eposiode? on 15:31 - Mar 5 with 5496 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Best OFAH eposiode? on 12:47 - Mar 5 by The_Romford_Blue

‘It’s a good job your mother isn’t still alive as that would have killed her’

Your dad always said one day Del would reach the top, then again he said one day Millwall would win the cup.
Best OFAH eposiode? on 15:52 - Mar 5 with 5478 viewsFinidiCentenary

Best OFAH eposiode? on 15:30 - Mar 5 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Oh when he comes back in the pub years later? I don't think that is intentional is it? As the character in Big Brother is just an Aussie he flogs a car to. The one years down the line is an expat.

Just the same actor.

The bloke who played the 'loud mouthed Aussie', came back much later as Jumbo Mills, Del's old mate.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

Best OFAH eposiode? on 15:59 - Mar 5 with 5475 viewsnoggin

Best OFAH eposiode? on 18:05 - Mar 4 by Archer4721

They did a few in West London and even a few scenes in Ipswich.

I believe the pics of NM House are from The South Acton Estate. Horrible part of the world.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Best OFAH eposiode? on 19:01 - Mar 5 with 5428 viewswallyvincent

Best OFAH eposiode? on 00:54 - Mar 5 by gainsboroughblue

You know I hate cheese!

“....he’s a young tearaway by the name of Wally Vincent” - DCI Frank Haskins, Metropolitan Police Flying Squad 1975

Best OFAH eposiode? on 19:33 - Mar 5 with 5413 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Best OFAH eposiode? on 15:59 - Mar 5 by noggin

I believe the pics of NM House are from The South Acton Estate. Horrible part of the world.

Yep they are I think. A few of them tower blocks came down in the early 2000s. Is it still rough over there? Funny how people think of all West London and nice......
Best OFAH eposiode? on 20:32 - Mar 5 with 5405 viewsslump

Loved the one where they painted the Chinese with luminous paint. Rodney Leonardo Trotter...

TWTD

UTT

Best OFAH eposiode? on 21:44 - Mar 5 with 5380 viewsnoggin

Best OFAH eposiode? on 19:33 - Mar 5 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Yep they are I think. A few of them tower blocks came down in the early 2000s. Is it still rough over there? Funny how people think of all West London and nice......

I left in 2005. I worked out of Chiswick ambulance station so knew the estate well. Horrible place.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Best OFAH eposiode? on 22:21 - Mar 5 with 5370 viewsm14_blue

Best OFAH eposiode? on 14:10 - Mar 5 by FrowsyArmLarry

The Young Ones was filmed in Bristol... at least their street / house is in Bristol. Just thought I'd throw that one in there

Oh, and the best episode IMO is the one where Rodney goes it alone and buys the lawnmower engines.
[Post edited 5 Mar 2018 14:13]

Not just any old lawnmower engines though....

Broken lawnmower engines
Best OFAH eposiode? on 22:28 - Mar 5 with 5363 viewsnorth_stand77

The blow up doll in the the three wheeler was a particularly funny episode
Best OFAH eposiode? on 07:08 - Mar 6 with 5314 viewsCoastalblue

The Chandeliers and the Lennox Gilbey supermarket hold up for me.

Lennox Gilbey (Vas Blackwood) is currently doing walking tours round East London which are worth a couple of hours of your time, they start and finish in a pub if anybody needs any more persuading.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Best OFAH eposiode? on 09:48 - Mar 6 with 5292 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Best OFAH eposiode? on 22:21 - Mar 5 by m14_blue

Not just any old lawnmower engines though....

Broken lawnmower engines

The whole episode is a build up to one killer punchline.... which is contender for the best joke ever written
Best OFAH eposiode? on 12:34 - Mar 6 with 5272 viewsDeano69

Best OFAH eposiode? on 07:08 - Mar 6 by Coastalblue

The Chandeliers and the Lennox Gilbey supermarket hold up for me.

Lennox Gilbey (Vas Blackwood) is currently doing walking tours round East London which are worth a couple of hours of your time, they start and finish in a pub if anybody needs any more persuading.

Top bloke is Vas

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Best OFAH eposiode? on 18:18 - Mar 6 with 5242 viewsitfcjoe

Best OFAH eposiode? on 20:29 - Mar 4 by imsureazzure

My other half attended a wedding at St Mary's Stoke, Ipswich, the crew and cast of OFAH were drinking in the Defiance across the road, some of the cast posed in the wedding photos

I met Denzil at a wedding in Clacton last year, top man

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024