Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bruges advice 12:23 - Mar 20 with 6427 viewsRomeo4

Hi. I'm taking Mrs Romeo to Bruges for a weekend in May. Does anybody have any recommendations for places to visit, good restaurants, etc. whilst we're there?

Thanks in advance.
Bruges advice on 12:27 - Mar 20 with 5830 viewshomer_123

Antwerp.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Bruges advice on 12:28 - Mar 20 with 5813 viewsimsureazzure

Try and meet the midget.
Bruges advice on 12:35 - Mar 20 with 5809 viewsSpruceMoose

De Garre - Great beer, served with free cheese. TWTD Official Recommendation.

Le Trappiste - Cellar Bar opposite the hotel we stayed in. Offers flights so you can sample five or six beers, wide selection, nice atmosphere.

2be - Go check out the beer wall.

Café Vlissinghe - Oldest pub in Bruges.

There's a good book called "Around Bruges in 80 Beers". Get it, it'll show you where you need to go.

https://www.booksaboutbeer.com/products/around-bruges-in-80-beers

Other than that, just walk, everywhere is picture postcard. The short trips by boat on the canals are fun and not all that expensive. Take a walk out to look at the windmills. If you're particularly energetic you can hire a bike and ride over to the Netherlands.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Bruges advice on 12:52 - Mar 20 with 5783 viewsitfcjoe

I was recommended by another poster (ArtBossBeard) to go to a restaurant called Ribs n' Beer, it was brilliant and I would highly recommend you do the same.

All you can eat ribs that fall off the bone, and good Belgian beer (even though I wasn't drinking at the time!)

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Bruges advice on 12:54 - Mar 20 with 5781 viewsLord_Lucan

I only went there once - straight after Heysel it was.

Half the bars wouldn't serve us.

Bloody scousers.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Bruges advice on 12:56 - Mar 20 with 5766 viewsSpruceMoose

Bruges advice on 12:52 - Mar 20 by itfcjoe

I was recommended by another poster (ArtBossBeard) to go to a restaurant called Ribs n' Beer, it was brilliant and I would highly recommend you do the same.

All you can eat ribs that fall off the bone, and good Belgian beer (even though I wasn't drinking at the time!)

This. Someone off here recommended that place to me too and as weird as it sounds, they were some of the best darn ribs I've had in my life.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Bruges advice on 13:25 - Mar 20 with 5732 viewsHerbivore

De Republiek - excellent and slightly alternative selection of beers and good food.

De Halve Maan brewery tour is worth doing, interesting and you get a beer at the end.

The boat tours are a nice way to see the city and I'd also recommend strolling around the north and east of the old city, much less packed with tourists but just as pretty and some nice little cafes and bars to explore.

We had a fantastic Lebanese meal at Amon if you get fed up of moules and frites.

Comptoir des Arts is great for drinks, atmospheric cellar bar.

The Old Chcocolate Housse does the best hot chocolate and amazing waffles.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Bruges advice on 13:39 - Mar 20 with 5709 viewsartsbossbeard

http://brugge.ribsnbeer.com/index.php/en/

Eat here. In fact don't leave the place.

Also try the Hoegarrden Rose beer on draught. The locals will tell you it's a drink for the ladies, however, it's simply divine.

There's also a "In Bruges" Set tour that you can do.

I'm off there in June. Love the place.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Login to get fewer ads

Bruges advice on 15:28 - Mar 20 with 5644 viewsjontysnut

't brugs beertje

long established beer cafe although there will be tourists - go early doors
Bruges advice on 16:45 - Mar 20 with 5595 viewsGeoffSentence

Watch the film "In Bruges' before you Go. As well as being a Afine Film It Will give You An Advance Taste Of WhAt Is There.

The Clock Tower Seems To Be The Thing To See.

Excjse The Caps And Spelling, Kindle Fire Predictive Text Has Gone into Mad Mode and Kt Is Too Much Effort To Correct It.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Bruges advice on 17:30 - Mar 20 with 5564 viewsRomeo4

Thanks all. That's really helpful. It will be our first visit having heard lots of good things about the place. I started looking into it via tripadvisor, etc and just found a dizzying amount of options and suggestions. I know I could rely on you well-travelled TWTD'ers for some good advice!
Bruges advice on 18:36 - Mar 20 with 5530 viewsLord_Lucan

Bruges advice on 17:30 - Mar 20 by Romeo4

Thanks all. That's really helpful. It will be our first visit having heard lots of good things about the place. I started looking into it via tripadvisor, etc and just found a dizzying amount of options and suggestions. I know I could rely on you well-travelled TWTD'ers for some good advice!

The trouble with Tripadvisor is that you are dragging yourself down to other people choices without knowing anything about those people.

At least on here you have some knowledge about the posters who comment.

If J2Blue recommends a restaurant you know to stay the hell away from it. Similarly if Factual recommends a day out it will probably involve a coach trip to a victorian folly so you can give it a swerve.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Bruges advice on 18:46 - Mar 20 with 5513 viewsshoopdelang

“ If I grew up on a farm, and was retarded, Bruges might impress me but I didn't, so it doesn't.“

Lovely place, just explore and find what you find is my advice.
Bruges advice on 18:58 - Mar 20 with 5499 viewsGeoffSentence

Bruges advice on 12:28 - Mar 20 by imsureazzure

Try and meet the midget.

He doesn't like being called a midget. He prefers dwarf

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Bruges advice on 19:06 - Mar 20 with 5488 viewsstjohnsblue

R N'B - Ribs And Beer .... cracking place...chili ribs mmmmm. Very simple but sooo tasty!

A short train ride to Oostende and the lovely long sandy beaches is a good bet too. There's a chicken place Koekeoke that just does 1/2 chickens, bread and beer! You have to gouge the chicken to pieces with your bare hands. Top marks for that place too.

I second La Trapiste too and the beer tour.

Have fun.
Bruges advice on 19:52 - Mar 20 with 5467 viewsstonojnr

@The Pub (literally its called @ The Pub)
't Brugs Beertje
Cambrinus
Garre
Duvelorium
2be Beerwall is amazing just to wander round to look at the selection.

theres a great bottle shop/off license called Bier Tempel

you cant really go wrong with most bars tbf, even the bars that sell only Jupiler variations are still very pleasant, though the square is obviously a tourist trap.

and yep Podges book is worth getting as recommended earlier, though the map in it leaves alot to be desired :)

dont forget chocolate, the Frites museum, and go up the tower. and despite what people say "In Bruges" is nothing like the place actually is :)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/15/belgian-bars-put-the-boot-into-tou
Bruges advice on 20:14 - Mar 20 with 5445 viewsslump

Tell the wife that her heels will only be required in the bedroom

UTT

Bruges advice on 20:20 - Mar 20 with 5433 viewsimsureazzure

Bruges advice on 19:52 - Mar 20 by stonojnr

't Brugs Beertje
Cambrinus
Garre
Duvelorium

you cant really go wrong with most bars tbf, even the bars that sell only Jupiler variations are still very pleasant, though the square is obviously a tourist trap.

and yep Podges book is worth getting as recommended earlier, though the map in it leaves alot to be desired :)

dont forget chocolate, the Frites museum, and go up the tower. and despite what people say "In Bruges" is nothing like the place actually is :)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/15/belgian-bars-put-the-boot-into-tou

Yes, yes it is! It is awash with hookers, midgets, high quality cocaine and Irish hitmen.
Bruges advice on 21:46 - Mar 20 with 5391 viewsNSL

The Half Moon brewery tour is actually good. My other half enjoyed it. If it's good weather then i recommend just mooching about. Depending how long you've got I also recommend a trip down the road to Ghent. It's just as impressive as Brugge without the touristy side to it

Poll: Who was primarily at fault for the defensive mix-up yesterday?

Bruges advice on 18:54 - Mar 21 with 5245 viewsRomeo4

Bruges advice on 19:52 - Mar 20 by stonojnr

't Brugs Beertje
Cambrinus
Garre
Duvelorium

Thanks. Lots of good stuff there. I saw there was a frites museum, is it really worth a visit? I love chips as much as the next man but can’t see how it would fill a museum?!
Bruges advice on 23:21 - Mar 21 with 5172 viewsstonojnr

Bruges advice on 18:54 - Mar 21 by Romeo4

Thanks. Lots of good stuff there. I saw there was a frites museum, is it really worth a visit? I love chips as much as the next man but can’t see how it would fill a museum?!

It's something different & a bit of light relief, more a recognition there are only so many chocolate shops & Belgian bars serving crazy percentage beer you can go in before getting a little stir crazy and at some point you will succumb and order some frites with mayonnaise from somewhere in Bruges (McDonald's French fries they are definitely not) whether you go to the museum or not...the museum has a cafe

I'm not saying it's the must see event place of Bruges it's just somewhere to bear in mind. I mean the De Haalve maan brewery tour is reasonably good. but if you've done brewery tours before,It's not that different, the best bit is just the view from the roof
Bruges advice on 08:42 - Mar 22 with 5118 viewsbracknell_blue

We ate in Cambrinus a few years back. Good food and great beer list. I would also agree De Garre is a must. Don't forget a boat trip and most of the chocolate shops are excellent. You can always take a short train journey to Ghent which is equally beautiful with great restaurants, beer, history, architecture, etc.

Poll: Should Thatcher have a state funeral

Bruges advice on 10:08 - Mar 22 with 5100 viewsNo9

Bruges advice on 12:27 - Mar 20 by homer_123

Antwerp.

Antwerp is a great place but you really need a whole week-end
Bruges advice on 10:13 - Mar 22 with 5094 viewsnoggin

Bruges advice on 12:54 - Mar 20 by Lord_Lucan

I only went there once - straight after Heysel it was.

Half the bars wouldn't serve us.

Bloody scousers.

It was Chelsea fans, apparently.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Bruges advice on 10:43 - Mar 22 with 5078 viewsartsbossbeard

Bruges advice on 10:13 - Mar 22 by noggin

It was Chelsea fans, apparently.

True story:

LFC fans get up in arms about the "always the victims, never your fault" chant (initially from EFC fans not MUFC) BUT it was originally sung to them about Heysel after the blaming of Chelsea fans by the club and nothing to do with other events.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024