Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Last five books you read 19:35 - Mar 22 with 8984 viewsThisIsMyUsername

We haven't had a books thread for a while and they're always good for a few suggestions...

1. A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking. (Completely over my head but very interesting obviously.)

2. East West Street - Phillipe Sands. (One of the best books I've read. Highly recommend.)

3. The Long Night - Ernst Israel Bornstein.

4. Homo Deus - Yuval Noah Harari. (Good but not really necessary if you've read Sapiens.)

5. Sapiens - Same author as above. (Excellent. Highly recommend.)

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Last five books you read on 21:34 - Mar 22 with 3539 viewsKeno

Last five books you read on 21:17 - Mar 22 by Lord_Lucan

I've read the book, it was magnificent.

Remind me of the PM story, I've forgotten.

Paul was being courted my several teams and Ipswich were some way down the list.

When he arrived for talks with his wife Alison they were met by Bobby Robson and “a disheveled” old guy who announced he would look after Alison while the others did the boring football stuff,

Alison was given a long guided tour of places to live, schools and the best pubs,

At the end of the day she just said to Paul “we are coming here”

So thanks to JC we signed Mariner

Paul Mariner finishes by saying every time he met Sir John afterwards Sir John first words were akways “how’s Alison and the kids”

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Last five books you read on 21:44 - Mar 22 with 3521 viewsSlartibartfast

Last five books you read on 20:57 - Mar 22 by Coastalblue

The Passage Trilogy - Justin Cronin current read, not getting all the positive reviews thus far.

Underground Railroad- Colson Whitehead - I do get the positive reviews

Spudley And The Bees - Betty Booker -Kids book, I know the author

Le Freak - Nile Rodgers - Interesting for a fan, not so sure otherwise

Ruin - John Gwynne -Great debut trilogy if a little to type for fantasy.

Liked the first book of the passage trilogy. Not so much the second. Third is on shelf waiting to be read.
Last five books you read on 21:48 - Mar 22 with 3520 viewsSteve_M

Last five books you read on 19:51 - Mar 22 by Lord_Lucan

I like the sound of 3

It's really good, some fascinating stuff. She came to prominance with a book on Kentish Town called The Fields Beneath, again a micro-history of the place. It included a lovely set of illustrations about how ancient field patterns lead directly to the current street layout.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Last five books you read on 22:20 - Mar 22 with 3498 viewsFtnfwest

China’s war with Japan - Rana Mitta
1966 and not all that - Mark Perryman
A line in the sand - James Barr
Operation Thunderbolt - Saul David
England’s last war with France - Colin smith
Last five books you read on 22:21 - Mar 22 with 3498 viewsSuperfrans

Last five books you read on 21:48 - Mar 22 by Steve_M

It's really good, some fascinating stuff. She came to prominance with a book on Kentish Town called The Fields Beneath, again a micro-history of the place. It included a lovely set of illustrations about how ancient field patterns lead directly to the current street layout.

A friend of mine is a structural engineer working on Crossrail. Over the past 2/3 years I’ve always looked forward to bumping into him on the route to work, as he’s always had fascinating nuggets to impart. Sadly he’s retiring this month... :-(

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Last five books you read on 22:24 - Mar 22 with 3497 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Without You, There Is No Us, My secret life teaching North Korea,s elite by Suki Kim.

Double Cross by Ben Macintyre,

SAS Rogue Heroes by Ben Macintyre,

Bridge of Spies by Giles Whittell,

Berlin pocket guide.

Am currently about half way through Adults in the Room by Yanis Varafoukis & We Were Soldiers Once....And Young by Hal Moore & Jo Galloway.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Last five books you read on 22:55 - Mar 22 with 3476 viewsClapham_Junction

1. Against a Dark Background - Iain M. Banks (found it hard work compared to his other books)

2. La Belle Sauvage - Philip Pullman (readable but not quite in the same league as the original His Dark Materials books)

3. American War - Omar el Akkad (decent storyline but dragged on a bit in places)

4. The Secret Diary of Hendrik Groen, 83¼ Years Old (highly enjoyable)

5. The Long Cosmos - Terry Pratchett & Stephen Baxter (also very good, but sadly the last new Pratchett book I'll get to read :( )
Last five books you read on 23:22 - Mar 22 with 3455 viewsthorpedo

1. Bruce Springsteen autobiography
2, James Acaster - Classic Scrapes
3. John Le Carre - The Pigeon Tunnel
4. Phil Collins autobiography.
5. The Second World War - Antony Beever

As you can see - I'm not one for fiction!

Thorpedo

Login to get fewer ads

Last five books you read on 23:26 - Mar 22 with 3448 viewsthorpedo

Last five books you read on 22:24 - Mar 22 by StochesStotasBlewe

Without You, There Is No Us, My secret life teaching North Korea,s elite by Suki Kim.

Double Cross by Ben Macintyre,

SAS Rogue Heroes by Ben Macintyre,

Bridge of Spies by Giles Whittell,

Berlin pocket guide.

Am currently about half way through Adults in the Room by Yanis Varafoukis & We Were Soldiers Once....And Young by Hal Moore & Jo Galloway.

Love all of Ben MacIntyres's work.

Thorpedo

Last five books you read on 23:43 - Mar 22 with 3442 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

1) Racing Post 2018 Annual
2) 100 horses to follow in 2018
3) 2018 Cheltenham Festival Preview Guide
4) Top 100 Racehorses of all time
5) Steven Gerrard autobiography

Not in that order

Edit - I know this isn’t the intelligent answer you were looking for but it’s a truthful one at least.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2018 23:46]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Last five books you read on 23:44 - Mar 22 with 3440 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Last five books you read on 23:26 - Mar 22 by thorpedo

Love all of Ben MacIntyres's work.

Read Operation Mincemeat last year & got hooked, next on the list to read is A Spy Among Friends about Kim Philby.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Last five books you read on 23:49 - Mar 22 with 3435 viewsCoastalblue

Last five books you read on 23:43 - Mar 22 by The_Romford_Blue

1) Racing Post 2018 Annual
2) 100 horses to follow in 2018
3) 2018 Cheltenham Festival Preview Guide
4) Top 100 Racehorses of all time
5) Steven Gerrard autobiography

Not in that order

Edit - I know this isn’t the intelligent answer you were looking for but it’s a truthful one at least.
[Post edited 22 Mar 2018 23:46]

I think the intelligent thing is to read what gives you pleasure, it's a leisure activity and unlike football we get to choose what we read.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Last five books you read on 00:22 - Mar 23 with 3427 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Last five books you read on 23:49 - Mar 22 by Coastalblue

I think the intelligent thing is to read what gives you pleasure, it's a leisure activity and unlike football we get to choose what we read.

I have to agree.

I could force myself to read something massively complex but I don’t really want to. I had to read the smart sophisticated books at school and, if anything, it made me want to do the opposite.

Reading what you enjoy is a far better tactic I think

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Last five books you read on 00:42 - Mar 23 with 3419 viewsbluejake78

I tend to buy more books than I read.A sad clue how I live....TV and DVD's every time.Fact over fiction if pushed.
Last five books you read on 01:55 - Mar 23 with 3404 viewsNewcyBlue

1. A Million Years in a Day - Greg Jenner (an interesting and at times amusing read). Currently still reading it.

2. Complete Guide to IVF - Kate Brian. Got this one on the go too. My swimmers are fine, it’s just not happening for us. MrsNewcy is getting impatient.

3. 48 Hour Body - Tim Ferriss. Quite interesting, recommended by someone on here.

4. Prisoners of Geography - Tim Marshall. A really engaging read, thoroughly enjoyable.

5. The Midnight Line - Lee Child. Latest Jack Reacher book, seemed a bit slower than previous ones.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Last five books you read on 07:34 - Mar 23 with 3362 viewsBaltachaFanClub

No Nonsense - Joey Barton
Bad Pharma - Ben Goldacre
Bad Medicine - Ben Goldacre
Six Machine - Chris Gayle
The Psychopath Test - Jon Ronson

this is not a football forum, its a forum for people who occasionally mention football. Current cheese mood - Blacksticks Blue
Poll: What happens more in the average week ?
Blog: It's Not R*********, It's the Promise of an Adventure

Last five books you read on 09:16 - Mar 23 with 3333 viewsThrobbe

Currently Time by Stephen Baxter. I've been making an effort to get into more post-golden era sci-fi over the last year or two. Coincidentally inspired by some recommendations from Bully on a similar TWTD thread.

Before that I binge read 6 of the 7 Expanse series. The last book is still at full price and it's not good enough to justify paying full whack.

Good, not brilliant sci-fi (and a Netflix series I haven't tried yet) set some time in the future in which humanity have spread to Mars, the moon and a number of other moons and asteroids in the inner half of the solar system. Several generations having been born in space is leading to a divergence in the species, and a break between Earth, Mars and the 'Belters'. Throw in the alien artefact that threatens humanity/offers access to the stars, and that affects the dynamic of relationships between the diverging species, leading to war. Not the most imaginative setup, characters are not that well written (only a couple seem to genuinely develop over time, the others just reveal more backstory) but the scale and political manoeuvring are interesting (not unlike Game of Thrones).

I wouldn't call it proper hard sci-fi, but my inner geek likes the fact that space flight/combat actually takes account of inertia and the ability of the human body to withstand acceleration, and if someone is stupid enough to try firing a projectile weapon in zero-g, they are going to be floating away in the opposite direction.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Last five books you read on 10:18 - Mar 23 with 3307 viewsNo9

Last five books you read on 19:57 - Mar 22 by sparks

Misquoting Jesus - Bart Ehrman (interesting and important work setting out, in sensible fashion, the way in which the Bible came to be and has varied, changed and is unreliable. 2nd read)

Look to windward Iain banks (2nd read. One if Banks' finest SF novels. High concept, darkly witty, intelligent and literary)

Fire fall Peter watts (somewhat intimidating hard SF with genuinely alien aliens and a protagonist who is, as a result of brain surgery, almost entirely lacking in empathy. Complex, difficult, bleak and very good)

Revenger Alistair Reynolds (Not his best- but a fun pulpy romp.)

the kill society Richard kadrey (The ultimate in "urban fantasy" noir. Imagine Phillip Marlowe on speed, with the ability to trek around hell)

(Amended to add comments...)
[Post edited 22 Mar 2018 20:29]

"Misquoting Jesus - Bart Ehrman (interesting and important work setting out, in sensible fashion, the way in which the Bible came to be and has varied, changed and is unreliable. 2nd read)"

Interesting, what is used as a benchmark/ fact checker?
Last five books you read on 15:40 - Mar 23 with 3262 viewssparks

Last five books you read on 10:18 - Mar 23 by No9

"Misquoting Jesus - Bart Ehrman (interesting and important work setting out, in sensible fashion, the way in which the Bible came to be and has varied, changed and is unreliable. 2nd read)"

Interesting, what is used as a benchmark/ fact checker?

Ehman is a biblical scholar and the book looks at how the copies we have came about, what earliest confirmed sources were and the huge raft of variations additions mistakes and so on introduced during those processes.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024