Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... 19:36 - Apr 30 with 16496 viewsSlambo

...but why do so many mock their East Anglian accents..? I've got a humdinger of one, proud of it, and ham it up to bemused locals on every away day. I wish more of us embraced it, rather than some horrendous Essex accent, Generic Southern English, or - the absolute worst - south London yardie rudeboy...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 13:59 - May 1 with 2858 viewsTractorWood

Anyone who uses the word rum'un is ok with me.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 15:46 - May 1 with 2812 viewsSlambo

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 10:15 - May 1 by Herbivore

I like the Norfolk and Suffolk accents, they both sound like yokels but I like it. I think only people with Suffolk and Norfolk accents think that there's a massive difference between the two accents. There really isn't, both full bumpkin.

No there's not - apart from that 'o' thing I mentioned - that's why it annoys me when Towen fans take the mick. It's basically taking the mick out of ourselves. And what would the alternative be..? Wideboy Essex, Generic Boring Southern, or Wannabe London Rudeboy Yardie..? Give me Caacker any day...

UPPA TOWEN!

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 15:53 - May 1 with 2805 viewsSlambo

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 09:43 - May 1 by giant_stow

Is there a Cambridge accent? I have a good mate who's lived in Norwich for ages, so I can;t be sure if his very gentle occasional twang is a result of living in the land of milk and honey or if it's from home.

Edit: Love 'Norfolk' myself - west country accents seem softer though and more 'traditional yokel'. Personally, I speak north london, not cockney.
[Post edited 1 May 2018 9:45]

I remember seeing an item on local news about the last eel trapper in the fens. Lived on the fens all his life, sounded pure Caacker; my mate's mum, born and bread Colchester - again, absolute Caacker when she talks. I suspect the East Anglian accent was prevalent throughout East Anglia (Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex and Cambridgeshire that is, you can poke Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire...and how the f*ck is Milton Keynes lumped in with us on Look East..?!) but after the London slum relocations of the 50s and 60s, and subsequent migration from the capital, it started to be more concentrated in Suffolk and Norfolk...

UPPA TOWEN!

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 15:54 - May 1 with 2805 viewsSlambo

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 08:38 - May 1 by GeoffSentence

There is the pure Ipswich oddity of adding extra vowels, that you don't even get in the rest of Suffolk let alone North of the border.

Moo-en, shoo-ers. **

That's moon and shoes in received pronunciation.

Yeah, or the Traactor boyuz as my girlfriend's mum calls them..!

UPPA TOWEN!

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 16:11 - May 1 with 2792 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 09:13 - May 1 by Pinewoodblue

When lived and worked in Norwich had a colleague who could identify which part of Norfolk someone was from by their accent. Noreich accent is far harsher than standard Norfolk accent.

Having a VW Polo as my first car made for some interesting conversations: "Is that yar pooloo?" for example.

Have to agree that the Norwich accent is absolutely horrendous. I can accept a Norfolk accent, just about. But the Norwich accent can be like nails down a chalkboard at times.
There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 16:13 - May 1 with 2790 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Can't believe this hasn't been added to this thread yet. For those who haven't seen it yet.. Where the hell have you been? And those that have, it's sure to bring a smile to your face anyway

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 16:30 - May 1 with 2779 viewsitfcjoe

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 16:13 - May 1 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Can't believe this hasn't been added to this thread yet. For those who haven't seen it yet.. Where the hell have you been? And those that have, it's sure to bring a smile to your face anyway

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 16:30 - May 1 with 2778 viewsSlambo

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 16:13 - May 1 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Thanks mate, that was truly a thing of beauty...

Don't suppose you've got that Brian from Melton clip have you..? Can't find it anywhere on YouTube...

UPPA TOWEN!

Login to get fewer ads

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:05 - May 1 with 2733 viewsTractorWood

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 09:43 - May 1 by giant_stow

Is there a Cambridge accent? I have a good mate who's lived in Norwich for ages, so I can;t be sure if his very gentle occasional twang is a result of living in the land of milk and honey or if it's from home.

Edit: Love 'Norfolk' myself - west country accents seem softer though and more 'traditional yokel'. Personally, I speak north london, not cockney.

I wouldn't say Cambridge has an accent per se, have worked here for 5 years. There are some people who've moved up from London who have retained the London tones but generally locals are usually pretty middle England. For lots of people it's a place that pulls them in and keeps them.

Some of the Fen villages have a bit of a country twang, pretty similar to Norfolk to my unrefined ear.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:18 - May 1 with 2723 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I’d prefer my essex/south London yardie rudeboy accent than one from the east of England definitely

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:22 - May 1 with 2717 viewsSpruceMoose

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:18 - May 1 by The_Romford_Blue

I’d prefer my essex/south London yardie rudeboy accent than one from the east of England definitely

Whilst that may be true, the rest of the world considers your accent to sound similar to nails down a chalkboard.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:26 - May 1 with 2712 viewsHerbivore

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:18 - May 1 by The_Romford_Blue

Do you say 'nah bruv' a lot?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:31 - May 1 with 2706 viewsSpruceMoose

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:26 - May 1 by Herbivore

And 'innit'?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:32 - May 1 with 2703 viewswkj

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:31 - May 1 by SpruceMoose

And 'innit'?

word

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:33 - May 1 with 2703 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:26 - May 1 by Herbivore

Ha - not a lot but I do say that.

I say innit more than any other word like that.

‘Kush’ is a word I use a lot as well. Short for cushty but with a k.

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:34 - May 1 with 2699 viewswkj

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:33 - May 1 by The_Romford_Blue

So like a dyslexic del boy?

Crybaby

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:34 - May 1 with 2699 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:22 - May 1 by SpruceMoose

Whilst that may be true, the rest of the world considers your accent to sound similar to nails down a chalkboard.

Naa but I reckon the Essex accent is generally more attractive to birds than a Suffolk one. As a general rule.

Best accent for a girl is the Geordie accent innit.

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:34 - May 1 with 2698 viewsSpruceMoose

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:33 - May 1 by The_Romford_Blue

That's lovely. If you want to go through life sounding like Peggy Mitchell.

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:35 - May 1 with 2696 viewsHerbivore

Do you call your mates 'fam'?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:37 - May 1 with 2692 viewswkj

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:35 - May 1 by Herbivore

Do you call your mates 'fam'?

imagine if all his mates were called pam and going a bit deaf, that'd be confusing

Crybaby

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:38 - May 1 with 2687 viewsSpruceMoose

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:34 - May 1 by The_Romford_Blue

Naa but I reckon the Essex accent is generally more attractive to birds than a Suffolk one. As a general rule.

Best accent for a girl is the Geordie accent innit.

Maybe to those low quality 'birds' you have down in Romford.

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:38 - May 1 with 2684 viewsLord_Lucan

Yiddish?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:39 - May 1 with 2681 viewswkj

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:38 - May 1 by SpruceMoose

Maybe to those low quality 'birds' you have down in Romford.

I think low quality is a prerequisite of any woman that is considered a bird

Crybaby

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:41 - May 1 with 2675 viewsSpruceMoose

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:39 - May 1 by wkj

I think low quality is a prerequisite of any woman that is considered a bird

And a pre-prerequisite for low quality is the willingness to get down with the young man's John McCririck!

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:44 - May 1 with 2665 viewswkj

There are many things to take the mick out of Norwich about... on 18:41 - May 1 by SpruceMoose

And a pre-prerequisite for low quality is the willingness to get down with the young man's John McCririck!

Anyone willing to go down on John McCririck deserves whatever comes their way

Crybaby

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024