Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So all this hype over Ross 11:45 - May 11 with 9533 viewsArcher4721

He's from a tiny club in Paisley....he's only been given permission for an interview. By all accounts we are interviewing absolutely loads of candidates yet he's now favourite....why?

good piece here on him

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/st-mirren-boss-jack-r
So all this hype over Ross on 11:47 - May 11 with 5842 viewshype313

Well, if you read the piece you posted you will see why.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

So all this hype over Ross on 11:49 - May 11 with 5823 viewsArcher4721

So all this hype over Ross on 11:47 - May 11 by hype313

Well, if you read the piece you posted you will see why.

Scottish football is rank though.
So all this hype over Ross on 11:51 - May 11 with 5811 viewshype313

So all this hype over Ross on 11:49 - May 11 by Archer4721

Surely the fact that he's from a tiny club in Paisley who have just won promotion against the odds and against clubs with far bigger resources, is one indication of why he might be a good fit here, no?

So all this hype over Ross on 11:53 - May 11 with 5800 viewsPlums

So at some point the talent leaves to prove itself at a higher level. Let’s hope it leaves and comes to Town and the step up works for all concerned.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

So all this hype over Ross on 11:59 - May 11 with 5763 viewsArcher4721

So all this hype over Ross on 11:51 - May 11 by hype313

Surely the fact that he's from a tiny club in Paisley who have just won promotion against the odds and against clubs with far bigger resources, is one indication of why he might be a good fit here, no?

In a league equivalent to our third division...ok. Why not go for the Accrington manager?
[Post edited 11 May 2018 12:00]
So all this hype over Ross on 12:02 - May 11 with 5739 viewsdirtyboy

So all this hype over Ross on 11:59 - May 11 by Archer4721

In a league equivalent to our third division...ok. Why not go for the Accrington manager?

Fair shout, John Coleman could probably do a job.
So all this hype over Ross on 12:05 - May 11 with 5715 viewshype313

Ok lets discount him on what league he's in as opposed to his ability and record then.

If we're going on your logic then we really should be in for Neil Lennon then, who has just left Hibs.

So all this hype over Ross on 12:07 - May 11 with 5697 viewsnrb1985

Nodge probably said the same about Alex Neill and that didn't go too badly...
Login to get fewer ads

So all this hype over Ross on 12:18 - May 11 with 5617 viewsWacko

Here's something that might shock you: managers, just like players, can at times be of a different standard than the league they're working in

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

So all this hype over Ross on 12:18 - May 11 with 5621 viewsclive_baker

Unlike the beauty that is the English Championship, with it's endless free flowing and attractive football. Those Scottish lads wouldn't last 5 minutes in the company of heavyweights of the game like Jordan Spence and Luke Hyam.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

So all this hype over Ross on 12:20 - May 11 with 5606 viewsJohnny_Boy

He doesn't seem to know his own name, which doesn't bode well.

From Wiki: John James "Jack" Ross
So all this hype over Ross on 13:15 - May 11 with 5377 viewsBlueyandCrazy

Yes quite - there's no telling whether he or other candidates will or won't be able to step up to the required level. Presumably the aim is to make an assessment through the interview process - hence interviewing many up and coming type managers whether lower league English (e.g. Hurst), Scottish or youth coaches (e.g. Parker).

I guess fans form their own opinions based on what they read and bet accordingly which moves the bookies odds. However I hope Marcus Evans through interview and taking others views has additional insight and can from this garner who is best placed to make the step up.

Poll: Worst ever ITFC manager

So all this hype over Ross on 13:17 - May 11 with 5346 viewsDanFord

So all this hype over Ross on 12:20 - May 11 by Johnny_Boy

John Ross? Is his surname definitely pronounced Ross then or Woss?

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

So all this hype over Ross on 13:18 - May 11 with 5333 viewsDanFord

So all this hype over Ross on 12:18 - May 11 by clive_baker

Unlike the beauty that is the English Championship, with it's endless free flowing and attractive football. Those Scottish lads wouldn't last 5 minutes in the company of heavyweights of the game like Jordan Spence and Luke Hyam.

Andy Robertson? No thanks we already have Spence.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

So all this hype over Ross on 13:24 - May 11 with 5289 viewsPhilTWTD

So all this hype over Ross on 12:20 - May 11 by Johnny_Boy

Jack is a notorious domesticity for John.
So all this hype over Ross on 13:27 - May 11 with 5287 viewsPhilTWTD

So all this hype over Ross on 13:15 - May 11 by BlueyandCrazy

Yes quite - there's no telling whether he or other candidates will or won't be able to step up to the required level. Presumably the aim is to make an assessment through the interview process - hence interviewing many up and coming type managers whether lower league English (e.g. Hurst), Scottish or youth coaches (e.g. Parker).

I guess fans form their own opinions based on what they read and bet accordingly which moves the bookies odds. However I hope Marcus Evans through interview and taking others views has additional insight and can from this garner who is best placed to make the step up.

That is the concern from one or two I've spoken to re Ross, that the Scottish Championship is a much lower level - in which St Mirren were comparatively big fish - and he wouldn't know enough about the English lower leagues/development squads from where he would have to recruit players.
So all this hype over Ross on 13:31 - May 11 with 5238 viewsKropotkin123

So all this hype over Ross on 13:27 - May 11 by PhilTWTD

That is the concern from one or two I've spoken to re Ross, that the Scottish Championship is a much lower level - in which St Mirren were comparatively big fish - and he wouldn't know enough about the English lower leagues/development squads from where he would have to recruit players.

Surely not changing the structure of the club would include using the existing scouting system. Is it really that big of an issue, with the structure we have in place?

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

So all this hype over Ross on 13:32 - May 11 with 5226 viewsSuperfrans

This is a good summary of why I would personally still prefer Hurst. Ross would be a gamble - but then so was Alex Neil and he did a decent job at the budgies and now at Preston.

And, as one of my fellow season ticket holders has already remarked, Ross is a lot better looking. The word "sexy" has been mentioned...

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

So all this hype over Ross on 13:35 - May 11 with 5206 viewsKieran_Knows

It's alright, we'll raid St Mirren for their better players and hope Rangers are stupid enough to let us have a couple of their better players for pittance again.

Job done.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

So all this hype over Ross on 13:35 - May 11 with 5212 viewsPhilTWTD

So all this hype over Ross on 13:31 - May 11 by Kropotkin123

Surely not changing the structure of the club would include using the existing scouting system. Is it really that big of an issue, with the structure we have in place?

Dave Bowman, who is the chief scout even if his job title is director of football, will move on to join Mick when he gets a club so the scouting system is something which will change.
So all this hype over Ross on 13:36 - May 11 with 5186 viewsSuperfrans

So all this hype over Ross on 13:31 - May 11 by Kropotkin123

Bowman is our DoF, notionally head of scouting. He came in with McCarthy and will go when Mick gets his next job, I would imagine.

If Ross comes in though, it would fall in line with Evans apparent plan, to build a permanent infrastructure/team which a new manager / coach can slip into. Presumably, if/when Bowman does go we can bring in our own man to work alongside/above Ross.

In some respects, the approach to Ross suggests a much more long-term plan from Evans, which is great, just what we have all wanted.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

So all this hype over Ross on 13:37 - May 11 with 5184 viewsBlueyandCrazy

Yes with the likes of Parker (premier league development squads) and Hurst (league 1)they will potentially be able to tap into connections to recruit players they are aware of whether loan/permanent. However, if we are to recruit from Scotland, we need to be looking much further up as in the case of Waghorn, Garner - does Ross even have the connections there....

Poll: Worst ever ITFC manager

So all this hype over Ross on 13:42 - May 11 with 5165 viewsclive_baker

I increasingly find this to be such a frustrating argument against a prospective manager. Yes the English Championship is a step up from the Scottish Championship, it's probably closer in quality to the SPL IMO. Having said that, at some point in ones career, a young and emerging manager will need to make that step up somewhere along the line, and we're not talking about the Dog & Duck to Real Madrid, it's hardly Roy of the Rovers stuff. He's not about to walk into the Bernabeu to address 100,000 fans.

I think we live in a day and age where football as a game and an industry is over 'analysed' to within an inch of its life, and a case can be made against just about every appointment if we look hard enough. The game has evolved enormously in recent years and shows no sign of abating, but I do think people need a dose of realism. We won't find someone who ticks every box, if they did they wouldn't be interested in managing us lets face it.

Ross would be a dice roll, and something a little different but for me he's shown in his time at St Mirren that he has the credentials to deliver the plan that ME laid out, more so than a lot of the managers being touted who might have a longer list of contacts in their WhatsApp. Furthermore, we won't get out of this league through investment, we can't compete on that front. Yes we'll need some recruitment but the biggest win will be a manager that can engage fans and get on the training ground and bring through the exciting crop of young players we have at the club.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

So all this hype over Ross on 13:43 - May 11 with 5139 viewsKropotkin123

So all this hype over Ross on 13:35 - May 11 by PhilTWTD

Dave Bowman, who is the chief scout even if his job title is director of football, will move on to join Mick when he gets a club so the scouting system is something which will change.

ah, okay, thanks

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

So all this hype over Ross on 13:51 - May 11 with 5101 viewsPhilTWTD

So all this hype over Ross on 13:42 - May 11 by clive_baker

I increasingly find this to be such a frustrating argument against a prospective manager. Yes the English Championship is a step up from the Scottish Championship, it's probably closer in quality to the SPL IMO. Having said that, at some point in ones career, a young and emerging manager will need to make that step up somewhere along the line, and we're not talking about the Dog & Duck to Real Madrid, it's hardly Roy of the Rovers stuff. He's not about to walk into the Bernabeu to address 100,000 fans.

I think we live in a day and age where football as a game and an industry is over 'analysed' to within an inch of its life, and a case can be made against just about every appointment if we look hard enough. The game has evolved enormously in recent years and shows no sign of abating, but I do think people need a dose of realism. We won't find someone who ticks every box, if they did they wouldn't be interested in managing us lets face it.

Ross would be a dice roll, and something a little different but for me he's shown in his time at St Mirren that he has the credentials to deliver the plan that ME laid out, more so than a lot of the managers being touted who might have a longer list of contacts in their WhatsApp. Furthermore, we won't get out of this league through investment, we can't compete on that front. Yes we'll need some recruitment but the biggest win will be a manager that can engage fans and get on the training ground and bring through the exciting crop of young players we have at the club.

Much of that is true but surely we want to find someone who ticks as many boxes as possible and the boxes which aren't ticked by some of the contenders are reasons why they should be viewed as less worthy candidates than others.

Jack Ross may prove himself to be a great manager in the Championship but I don't think it's unwarranted to have concerns that the level he has been working at isn't adequate preparation.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024