Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wetherspoons idiocy... 11:50 - Jun 13 with 3632 viewssparks

According to bbc they are replacing champagne with English and aussie sparkling wine and German or Belgian beer with cheap English brews in anticipation of brexit.

There's a reason people choose those products... many are better than uk equivalents...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 11:53 - Jun 13 with 2883 viewsOldsmoker

I have a breakfast at my local spoons now and then.
The people I've met there don't strike me as typical champagne drinkers.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 11:53 - Jun 13 with 2879 viewsBrixtonBlue

Sounds like a PR stunt to me... particularly with it just ahead of the world cup when patriotism goes through the roof for a few weeks.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 11:54 - Jun 13 with 2872 viewsBOjK

Do you think there are many champagne drinkers in spoons?

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 11:54 - Jun 13 with 2871 viewsBrixtonBlue

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 11:53 - Jun 13 by Oldsmoker

I have a breakfast at my local spoons now and then.
The people I've met there don't strike me as typical champagne drinkers.

Yeah the champagne one I can understand. Who on earth drinks champagne in a Wetherspoons?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 11:57 - Jun 13 with 2860 viewsITFC_Forever

They're clearly making sure they continue to appeal to their demographic.

A headline-grabbing story like this will fit right in.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 11:57 - Jun 13 with 2854 viewsStokieBlue

As many have pointed out, doubt there are many champagne drinkers in your averages Spoons.

Agree on the beer and their reasoning is very silly but I don't agree on the English sparkling wine. The good stuff from down on the south coast (Nyetimber for instance) is just as good if not better than Champagne and has won many awards over recent years.

Apparently it's because the climate there is now much like it was in Champagne a few hundred years ago (not verified this). Even French Champagne makers are buying up land there:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/may/07/champagne-taittinger-plants-fir

Not sure Wetherspoons took any of that into consideration when making their decision though!

SB
[Post edited 13 Jun 2018 11:58]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 11:57 - Jun 13 with 2856 viewsvapour_trail

It’s quite smart. They’re playing to their customer base.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 11:57 - Jun 13 with 2853 viewsBent_double

Don't see a problem to be honest, UK companies should be promoting home grown/made products in favour of foreign ones, and hasn't English sparkling wine improved immensely over the last few years?

Besides, who goes into a Wetherspoons and orders Champagne?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Login to get fewer ads

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 11:58 - Jun 13 with 2850 viewsLord_Lucan

Yes but the owner is a massive Brexiter and like Smoker said I doubt they sell much champagne - in fact I would wager that most Wetherspoons clientele wouldn't know the difference of anything.

If I wasn't such a keen drinker I would love it if after Brexit the government repealed the licencing laws and re introduced the draconian ones we had pre 90's where pubs couldn't open before 11 and had to close in the afternoons - to the strapline "We've got are licensing laws back"

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 12:00 - Jun 13 with 2836 viewsJ2BLUE

Alcohol free Ghost Ship is replacing their alcohol free beer.

Great to see a local company benefiting from Brexit

(I know, I know...)

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 12:16 - Jun 13 with 2752 viewssparks

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 11:57 - Jun 13 by StokieBlue

As many have pointed out, doubt there are many champagne drinkers in your averages Spoons.

Agree on the beer and their reasoning is very silly but I don't agree on the English sparkling wine. The good stuff from down on the south coast (Nyetimber for instance) is just as good if not better than Champagne and has won many awards over recent years.

Apparently it's because the climate there is now much like it was in Champagne a few hundred years ago (not verified this). Even French Champagne makers are buying up land there:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/may/07/champagne-taittinger-plants-fir

Not sure Wetherspoons took any of that into consideration when making their decision though!

SB

It is however expensive in comparison to low end but perfectly decent champagne

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 12:16 - Jun 13 with 2746 viewsconnorscontract

Get with the times! English Sparkling Wines are beating similarly priced Champagnes in blind tastings, and this wasn't just trolling:

http://www.decanter.com/wine-news/gordon-ramsay-lists-english-sparkling-wines-at

As a hedge against the pound crashing against the Euro post-Brexit it makes sense, and with EU tariffs on New World wines potentially being removed they could become extremely price competitive.

They are getting the supply chains built now, ahead of the rush when the transition period ends. And get to look patriotic which may appeal to many of their customers.
Wetherspoons idiocy... on 12:17 - Jun 13 with 2736 viewsMedwayTractor

SB

Just had a quick read of the Grauniad article, the picture of Chilham Square is misleading as a location reference, but it would be too much to hope for that they would have used another nearby village, Old Wives Lees.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 12:23 - Jun 13 with 2702 viewsOldsmoker

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 11:57 - Jun 13 by Bent_double

Don't see a problem to be honest, UK companies should be promoting home grown/made products in favour of foreign ones, and hasn't English sparkling wine improved immensely over the last few years?

Besides, who goes into a Wetherspoons and orders Champagne?

It seems these people have threatened to boycott spoons.
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/we-insist-on-only-the-finest-french-

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 12:26 - Jun 13 with 2681 viewssparks

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 12:16 - Jun 13 by connorscontract

Get with the times! English Sparkling Wines are beating similarly priced Champagnes in blind tastings, and this wasn't just trolling:

http://www.decanter.com/wine-news/gordon-ramsay-lists-english-sparkling-wines-at

As a hedge against the pound crashing against the Euro post-Brexit it makes sense, and with EU tariffs on New World wines potentially being removed they could become extremely price competitive.

They are getting the supply chains built now, ahead of the rush when the transition period ends. And get to look patriotic which may appeal to many of their customers.

There are fine English ones . But not at the lowest end. No equivalent of Nicholas feuillate etc all.

But the beer is the significant point.

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 12:28 - Jun 13 with 2661 viewsLord_Lucan

Another thing

The price of Champagne and European beers will have risen dramatically because of the exchange rate fall post referendum. Wetherspoons make an extremely small profit margin on their beers and this will have smacked them on the arse.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 12:39 - Jun 13 with 2614 viewsconnorscontract

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 12:26 - Jun 13 by sparks

There are fine English ones . But not at the lowest end. No equivalent of Nicholas feuillate etc all.

But the beer is the significant point.

But *if* currency fluctuations and tariffs kick in then a current (shop price) £14.99 entry level Feuillate may end up closer to the current £22 Chapel Down, which would currently be in competition with Feuillate's Reserve or entry level Lanson and Moet.

Spoons sell Veuve, which usually retails for more than many English sparkling wines, too. Amazing, but true.

On beer, Spoons entire business model is based on low margin high volume, and customers who want a variety of beers but who are primarily price sensitive. They are known in the trade for taking on "over-stocks" from breweries at short notice at discount. They are just trying to even out the risk of currency fluctuations with this move, whilst also throwing in some tub-thumping, flag waving and a couple of shouts of "Hurrah!"

You'll have to find somewhere else to sample your Trappist Belgians!
Wetherspoons idiocy... on 12:40 - Jun 13 with 2606 viewsjontysnut

SB

I've had some English sparkling wines and although they're pretty good they're not cheap. I know he'll be buying big but I reckon he'd be doing well to beat the price he pays for a similar volume of Champagne
Wetherspoons idiocy... on 12:42 - Jun 13 with 2596 viewsStokieBlue

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 12:40 - Jun 13 by jontysnut

I've had some English sparkling wines and although they're pretty good they're not cheap. I know he'll be buying big but I reckon he'd be doing well to beat the price he pays for a similar volume of Champagne

That's a fair point which Sparks also made.

Without serious discounts (which can be found on a bottle but not in bulk) they don't compete on price.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 12:46 - Jun 13 with 2585 viewsSarge

So the mug in charge of wetherspoons campaigns for Brexit and then replaces beers with nasty British stuff because the decent stuff is now too expensive as a result of his and others idiocy...stunning

Fortunately for me I don't drink wheat beer because it's vile so aside from my actual life being screwed by Brexit I guess I've come out of this ok!
Wetherspoons idiocy... on 12:52 - Jun 13 with 2559 viewsBluebell

Stupid I know but you don't HAVE to go to Weatherspoons. If you don't like the decision to change their alcohol, go somewhere else!

Simple really.
Wetherspoons idiocy... on 13:19 - Jun 13 with 2474 viewsLord_Lucan

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 12:52 - Jun 13 by Bluebell

Stupid I know but you don't HAVE to go to Weatherspoons. If you don't like the decision to change their alcohol, go somewhere else!

Simple really.

What other pubs open at 7am Bluebell?

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 13:20 - Jun 13 with 2468 viewsSpruceMoose

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 11:54 - Jun 13 by BrixtonBlue

Yeah the champagne one I can understand. Who on earth drinks champagne in a Wetherspoons?

Ballers on a budget.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 13:35 - Jun 13 with 2424 viewscatch74

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 12:40 - Jun 13 by jontysnut

Recently took my staff to the local vineyard (Greyfriars) and the sparkling was fantastic, as someone has already said winning awards against Champagnes etc etc The main cost is that they are made in the same way as Champagne, individually carbonated in their bottle etc etc. This is his how Prosecco is so much cheaper - carbonated in a tank and bottled.
I imagine Wetherspoons will keep Prosecco as cheap fizz.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 13:49 - Jun 13 with 2380 viewsBlueBadger

Wetherspoons idiocy... on 11:54 - Jun 13 by BrixtonBlue

They're certainly not in the '90 quid for bangers and mash' class of drinker.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024