Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Current ITFC squad 14:48 - Jul 13 with 8439 viewsitfcjoe

As I usually do, to qualify for this you must have made at least 5 starts at Championship level - or be seemingly considered a first teamer (these ones shown in italics)

GK - Bialkowski, Gerken
RB - Spence, Emmanuel
LB - Knudsen, Kenlock
CB - Chambers Chalobah
CM - Bishop, Skuse, Adeyemi, Downes, Nydam, Dozzell, Huws
W - Ward, Roberts
ST - Waghorn, Garner, Sears

On the fringes:
RB - Cotter
CB - Woolfenden, C.Smith
W - Rowe
ST - Folami

Next rung down - i.e. unlikely to feature unless we are really struggling
GK - Wright
LB - Webber
W - McKendry, McLoughlin
ST - Drinan, Morris

1st year professionals/Scholars expected to play mainly for U23s this season
GK - Ware
RB - Crowe
LB - Clements
CB - Ndaba, Marshall
CM - McGavin
ST - Lankester

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Current ITFC squad on 16:21 - Jul 13 with 3429 viewschicoazul

Current ITFC squad on 16:18 - Jul 13 by x123456789

The idea of losing Bialkowski and Waghorn from that squad is pretty terrifying

It strikes me that we lack any players (except Waghorn) with experience of playing football at a higher level (premiership or championship promotion level). Whether or not that will be an issue is unknown but I can understand the tag of being relegation candidates

I would be gutted and very worried if we lost any of Bart, Waghorn, Knudsen or Garner. Those are 4 of our main guys, all signed by Mick who was proven at spotting a bargain and developing them.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Current ITFC squad on 16:24 - Jul 13 with 3425 viewsrickw

Current ITFC squad on 15:01 - Jul 13 by itfcjoe

Personal view on squad and where it is short is this.....

GK
Obviously if Bart goes we need a replacement. I also think we need a number 3 as Wright isn't up to it and Gerken had a long term injury last season.

RB
Think this is adequate, and that if Hurst thinks we need better then he'll have to shift one of these 2 either permanently or on loan

LB
As per RB

CB
At least 2 players short. I think we need 2 more and either Woolfenden or Chris Smith to step up as a genuine option as could see Chalobah playing further forward

CM
That's fine for me, although agree with hype that another player with a bit more experience may be required as only 3 of them are not eligible for the U23s and nearly all haven't put a full season together in the last 2 years

W
At least 2 players short

ST
Think the options there are ok with Hurst preferring one up top, but another striker wouldn't be a bad signing.

So with that in mind - I think we initially need:
1 3rd choice keeper
2 CBs
2 Wingers
and possible a central midfielder and a striker.

And that feels like the bare minimum requirement also - lots to do for Hurst in the next couple of weeks before we even consider that Waghorn, Garner, Knudsen and Bialkowski have all been linked with moves elsewhere

I would be happy with just 1 more CB as Spence and Knudsen can cover there if required - I think both of their best performances last season were central (albeit mainly in a back 5)

I'm happy with our midfielders and don't want any experienced pro's to come in and reduce our youngster's game time. Another striker would be useful though especially if he offers something the others don't, so I suggest a targetman

1 3rd choice keeper
1 CB
2 Wingers
1 targetman striker

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Our issue is the surplus of..... on 16:24 - Jul 13 with 3426 viewsBloots

....central midfielders.

If you add Cotter & Folami into the 1st team mix, we have enough numbers, just not in the right positions.

Of the 6 defenders you name, 4 of them can be seen as either full time or part time centre backs. Adding Cotter means that you could argue that we have 4 centre backs and 3 full backs.

You can also stick Nydam, and even Bishop and Sears in as wide players.

I can really only see us signing one centre back and one wide player.

The rest will be makeshift players to fill the gaps.

Rock and roll.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2018 16:29]

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Our issue is the surplus of..... on 16:26 - Jul 13 with 3415 viewschicoazul

Our issue is the surplus of..... on 16:24 - Jul 13 by Bloots

....central midfielders.

If you add Cotter & Folami into the 1st team mix, we have enough numbers, just not in the right positions.

Of the 6 defenders you name, 4 of them can be seen as either full time or part time centre backs. Adding Cotter means that you could argue that we have 4 centre backs and 3 full backs.

You can also stick Nydam, and even Bishop and Sears in as wide players.

I can really only see us signing one centre back and one wide player.

The rest will be makeshift players to fill the gaps.

Rock and roll.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2018 16:29]

At least with all these (fairly good) CMs we have a better chance than ever of seeing some decent passing football. Maybe.

I agree that we will probably sign 2 more players, a CB and a wide man. Then a couple more loans.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Current ITFC squad on 16:34 - Jul 13 with 3396 viewsWestover

Current ITFC squad on 15:10 - Jul 13 by Reuser_is_God

Evans/Bowman/Hurst new to get a wriggle on.

It seems Peterborough know how to get players in they have just made the 13th new signing for the coming season âš½
Our issue is the surplus of..... on 16:41 - Jul 13 with 3382 viewsGarv

Our issue is the surplus of..... on 16:26 - Jul 13 by chicoazul

At least with all these (fairly good) CMs we have a better chance than ever of seeing some decent passing football. Maybe.

I agree that we will probably sign 2 more players, a CB and a wide man. Then a couple more loans.

On your first point, I think that could be dependent on the full backs. One hopes that Hurst feels he can make a footballer of Knudsen, I think Spence can do it but he has the odd shocking game, hopefully Emmanuel can seriously challenge now. Does Kenlock have a chance do we think?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Current ITFC squad on 17:26 - Jul 13 with 3360 viewschristiand

Who do we think out of all the youngsters could cement a place in the starting XI next season?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Current ITFC squad on 23:58 - Jul 13 with 3298 viewsGarv

Current ITFC squad on 17:26 - Jul 13 by christiand

Who do we think out of all the youngsters could cement a place in the starting XI next season?

Nydam.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

Current ITFC squad on 00:58 - Jul 14 with 3264 viewsMrTown

Gwion Edwards - Winger
Jack Hobbs - Central defender
Curtis Tilt - Central Defender
Ryan Kent - Winger (loan)
Sam Gallagher - Striker (loan)

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Current ITFC squad on 01:05 - Jul 14 with 3261 viewstractorboy1978

We've lost:

Iorfa
Webster
McGoldrick
Celina
Connolly
CCV
Carayol
Hyam

All capable players with plenty of Championship football under their belts. The squad looks chronically short to me at the moment. We need as a minimum 2 centre halves, 2 wingers and a striker assuming no one else goes. Vincent Young going away to Spain also suggests he wants a full back. Waghorn and/or Bart going doesn't bear thinking about.
Current ITFC squad on 09:16 - Jul 14 with 3146 viewsHerbivore

Current ITFC squad on 01:05 - Jul 14 by tractorboy1978

We've lost:

Iorfa
Webster
McGoldrick
Celina
Connolly
CCV
Carayol
Hyam

All capable players with plenty of Championship football under their belts. The squad looks chronically short to me at the moment. We need as a minimum 2 centre halves, 2 wingers and a striker assuming no one else goes. Vincent Young going away to Spain also suggests he wants a full back. Waghorn and/or Bart going doesn't bear thinking about.

Of those players only Connolly and CCV were nailed on starters, the likes of Hyam, Didz, Carayol and Webster spent as much time on the treatment table as on the pitch and Iorfa and Celina were really bit part players. I take your point that we look light on numbers, but you'd hope some of those who missed pretty much all of last season through injury will help to supplement the squad alongside a few new signings.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Current ITFC squad on 09:44 - Jul 14 with 3115 viewsBluefish

Current ITFC squad on 15:16 - Jul 13 by JakeITFC

It’s absolutely screaming relegation battle to me, Hurst’s first job is to make four really good first team signings (and it’s worrying that we haven’t got any further with that).

2 seasons ago we were told by plenty on here that we were going down, they were adamant. It didn't happen so they said it will DEFINITELY happen the next season, we finished in the top half and never looked like going down. We get used to Ipswich fans gleefully predicting relegation.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Current ITFC squad on 09:45 - Jul 14 with 3115 viewsBluefish

Klug seems a big fan of McLoughlin. I wonder if he will be pushed on to challenge for the 1st team

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Current ITFC squad on 09:48 - Jul 14 with 3109 viewsNo9

The main point of interest this season will be how the new management team develop the academy players into 1st team squad players & not just send them out.
Current ITFC squad on 09:53 - Jul 14 with 3098 viewsMullet

Current ITFC squad on 09:44 - Jul 14 by Bluefish

2 seasons ago we were told by plenty on here that we were going down, they were adamant. It didn't happen so they said it will DEFINITELY happen the next season, we finished in the top half and never looked like going down. We get used to Ipswich fans gleefully predicting relegation.

However, we had Mick and that was the X factor in terms of getting our squad to push through even the darkest times.

To ask Hurst to do that is a big one. His brief and MO seems more to develop the kids and the players who are stepping up. Mick has left him a brilliant squad to work within that remit, but if Evans sells 2 or 3 of Bart, Jonas, Waghorn, Garner along with Webster and expects Hurst not to replace them with experience we are dicing with death unquestionably.

It could all go right and we mount a challenge which Hurst manages frequently in his career, but more likely for most teams it's the other way, which is why recruitment is so key. Even Mick wasn't able to balance Evans' books and the squad consistently and that was because injuries cost us so much to get replacements.

Edwards is a positive signing, but we still have work to do. If the pillars of the squad are sold then Hurst's job gets exponentially bigger with less time to work within.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Current ITFC squad on 11:36 - Jul 14 with 3055 viewsitfcjoe

Current ITFC squad on 09:45 - Jul 14 by Bluefish

Klug seems a big fan of McLoughlin. I wonder if he will be pushed on to challenge for the 1st team

I personally don't see it, he has offered very little for the U18s and U23s in my view. He is a dependable player, and versatile so may end up getting minutes in that regard but I don't really see it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Current ITFC squad on 11:51 - Jul 14 with 3036 viewsstrikalite

We have to show faith in Folami imo, quality player, plays with his up when I've seen him, why freeze him out which will happen if another striker comes in..
Current ITFC squad on 13:36 - Jul 14 with 2983 viewscrazyblue68

Current ITFC squad on 16:05 - Jul 13 by Mach_foreignBlue

No need to panic yet?

Very worried though. CB's situation is similar to that one from August last year where our central backs were injured. We knew the problem yet waited till the last day of the window and then Goldson move failed. We seem to be waiting ... again !

Waiting game whereas we badly need some decent additions. But this is Evans and same old story every transfer window yet he is deemed as a good one by some because he gave an interview.

Been saying all this for a couple of weeks now, but have been shouted down. Its just the same as every season. Evans just wont part with the money for players. A team full of League1/2 players has relegation written all over it. Its very worrying. Evans has sold all the season ticket holders down the river yet again.
Whats different ? Same old Bollox
Current ITFC squad on 13:45 - Jul 14 with 2964 viewsagentp

Current ITFC squad on 01:05 - Jul 14 by tractorboy1978

We've lost:

Iorfa
Webster
McGoldrick
Celina
Connolly
CCV
Carayol
Hyam

You missed Gleeson, Bru and I suppose Smith off that list aswell

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024