Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) 12:02 - Oct 8 with 6734 viewsKeno

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 14:39 - Oct 8 with 2247 viewssparks

Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 14:09 - Oct 8 by FrimleyBlue

It's changing the character that we know, There have been many time ladies, which is even the subject line in the link you posted.

It's another change whereby you're not allowed to be annoyed by it, otherwise you clearly don't like females.

If they wanted a series with a female lead, create a new series... that's my opinion anyway.

It's personal choice if you take to a character,

However, it seems it's no longer your choice to enjoy the programmes or sports you always have as they are desperate to bring in as many females into this roles as possible, when there really is no need to change things.

I didn't really like the last Doctor, but still liked the programme and was hoping for a David Tennant like actor to come in to bring back the quirkiness yet serious persona, but so far, none of the catch phrases used, esp on previews, have the same effect as before. "I’m the Doctor, when people need help, I never refuse" just doesn't come across to me as it would if Tennant said it for example.

Each to their own, but it's a shame

Its not changing the character you know. Almost uniquely for a series, there really is nothing exclusively male about the male lead. Nothing inherent within the character that requires a male. Its an alien. I dont get the reference to romantic interest either. A 1000 year old alien would be very peculiar if it had romantic interest for 25 year old human women. Whilst they have occasionally flirted with it- there has never been an explicit "relationship" of that sort as I recall.

What was interesting- and did perhaps flag up an overtly uber-PC mindset at the BBC units behind it, was the trailer for forthcoming guest stars at the end. They flashed up about a dozen or more faces of various people. It was certainly not a typical demographic mix. I think its probably valid to at least reflect on the issue of whether imposing diversity to that extent is a good bad or neutral thing. But thats as far as it goes.

I would have a very different view on a female James Bond- as the character is so inherently (and stereotypically) male. It would fundamentally change the character- and it would make more sense to invent a new one than to crowbar a woman into such a role.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 14:51 - Oct 8 with 2226 viewsSuperfrans

Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 14:09 - Oct 8 by FrimleyBlue

It's changing the character that we know, There have been many time ladies, which is even the subject line in the link you posted.

It's another change whereby you're not allowed to be annoyed by it, otherwise you clearly don't like females.

If they wanted a series with a female lead, create a new series... that's my opinion anyway.

It's personal choice if you take to a character,

However, it seems it's no longer your choice to enjoy the programmes or sports you always have as they are desperate to bring in as many females into this roles as possible, when there really is no need to change things.

I didn't really like the last Doctor, but still liked the programme and was hoping for a David Tennant like actor to come in to bring back the quirkiness yet serious persona, but so far, none of the catch phrases used, esp on previews, have the same effect as before. "I’m the Doctor, when people need help, I never refuse" just doesn't come across to me as it would if Tennant said it for example.

Each to their own, but it's a shame

"You're not allowed to be annoyed by it"?

I hate this line of argument. Have the police been around yet? Have you been arrested? Of course you haven't. Stop feeling so sorry for yourself.

What you mean is that you're not allowed to have an opinion without someone else having the right to challenge it. And that swings both ways. By arguing against a female Dr, you're also disagreeing with anyone who thinks its a great idea. That's called freedom of expression. And it's fine.

As for the catch-phrases etc, every one of the past four Drs, from Eccleston onwards, (and before him too) have all had very distinct, different characters, different delivery, different catch-phrases (I can't imagine any Dr other than Tennant getting away with "wibbly wobbly, timey wimey" for instance?), that's the nature of the Dr. If Whittaker's Dr says things and in ways that other Drs wouldn't, it is wholly irrelevant to the debate.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 14:52 - Oct 8 with 2221 viewsflimflam

Thought it was brilliant and she has already made the role her own.

Far better than I expected and the acting seems to have gone up a notch also.

Good stuff.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 14:55 - Oct 8 with 2213 viewsFrimleyBlue

Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 14:39 - Oct 8 by sparks

Its not changing the character you know. Almost uniquely for a series, there really is nothing exclusively male about the male lead. Nothing inherent within the character that requires a male. Its an alien. I dont get the reference to romantic interest either. A 1000 year old alien would be very peculiar if it had romantic interest for 25 year old human women. Whilst they have occasionally flirted with it- there has never been an explicit "relationship" of that sort as I recall.

What was interesting- and did perhaps flag up an overtly uber-PC mindset at the BBC units behind it, was the trailer for forthcoming guest stars at the end. They flashed up about a dozen or more faces of various people. It was certainly not a typical demographic mix. I think its probably valid to at least reflect on the issue of whether imposing diversity to that extent is a good bad or neutral thing. But thats as far as it goes.

I would have a very different view on a female James Bond- as the character is so inherently (and stereotypically) male. It would fundamentally change the character- and it would make more sense to invent a new one than to crowbar a woman into such a role.

For my personal viewing, it does change the character I know, all lead Dr roles have been males since I've been watching and whilst yes totally agree, we all know the Dr is an Alien form, etc

But as I say the soundbites etc, I just don't get the same sense of passion with some of the quotes ive seen so far. Maybe it's the actress, must admit, I wasn't a fan of hers in Broadchurch with her acting in that. Actually that may just be it, Jenna louise coleman i would like to see given the role next time if this is the route they are now going down. She was fantastic as the side role and i can imagine her giving those quotes the passion and acting the show deserves.

I'll give it a chance, but I hope I'm proven wrong as I really enjoy the Dr Series.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 15:02 - Oct 8 with 2211 viewsBluespeed225

Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 13:03 - Oct 8 by FrimleyBlue

Unsure for the need to change genders tbh, Dr Who is a time 'lord'

We going for a female james bond next?

That bird in 'Killing Eve' is doing an excellent job as a psyco' killer though! A female main villain maybe??
Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 16:52 - Oct 8 with 2156 viewsBenters2

Jon Pertwee was the best.

End of.
Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 17:07 - Oct 8 with 2144 viewschicoazul

Dr Who is for children.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 17:13 - Oct 8 with 2145 viewssparks

Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 17:07 - Oct 8 by chicoazul

Dr Who is for children.

Fairytales and make believe are for all ages. As you have demonstrated in threads on certain other topics.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Login to get fewer ads

Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 19:16 - Oct 8 with 2109 viewsLord_Lucan

Do you mean Nurse Who?

Madness.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 19:23 - Oct 8 with 2105 viewstiptreeblue

Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 13:20 - Oct 8 by Keno

WHAT!!!!!!

I thought it was a documentary!!!

you'll be telling me next the Daleks arent real

Somebody tried to tell me that Father Christmas wasn`t real, well, i soon put them right i can tell you
Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 21:17 - Oct 8 with 2076 viewsBlueBadger

Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 17:13 - Oct 8 by sparks

Fairytales and make believe are for all ages. As you have demonstrated in threads on certain other topics.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 22:14 - Oct 8 with 2057 viewsStokieBlue

Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 12:30 - Oct 8 by WarkTheWarkITFC

As a massive Dr Who fan, I always expect to be disappointed with new doctors because they are never going to start on a par with your favourite, but over time they can grow to be.

I thought David Tennant was great, Matt Smith even better and Peter Capaldi was poor. Just came across as an angry, agitated version, lacking much of the humour that makes it so good.

I've got absolutely no problem with a woman Doctor. I can get my head around it, but the romantic interest part is going to be interesting because you'd imagine that the long standing attraction is quite clearly proven to be towards women. So whether that means a lesbian Dr who knows.

Would certainly give the PC lot something to moan about. They are having a field day on Twitter with a woman Dr, a white man companion, who was married to a black woman and a young black and young Asian companion. 2 men, 2 women, across young and old, white, black and Asian, northern and southern. Plenty moaning about the most deserving people not be given parts in order to tick boxes.

I think Jodie did okay. Could certainly grow to like her but a few times she acted like a stereotypical woman rather than the Dr we know. Much more empathy, more willing to talk about family. Didn't seem like the Dr at all, but what they expect a woman to generally be, which was poor.

I thought that script with Tennant or Smith though would have been incredible. Better than I thought she was be, but overly not blown away.

Peter Capaldi was poor? Can't say I agree with that.

Had a few bad scripts but he was superb. Heaven Sent was one of the best ever episodes from an acting and story perspective.

I thought it was a promising start for JW, far too early to tell though.

SB
[Post edited 8 Oct 2018 22:20]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 22:50 - Oct 8 with 2036 viewsBlueBadger

Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 22:14 - Oct 8 by StokieBlue

Peter Capaldi was poor? Can't say I agree with that.

Had a few bad scripts but he was superb. Heaven Sent was one of the best ever episodes from an acting and story perspective.

I thought it was a promising start for JW, far too early to tell though.

SB
[Post edited 8 Oct 2018 22:20]

Exactly. Capaldi was the problem, his scripts were. That episode with the baby dragon hatching out of the moon, for example, is up there with some of Colin Baker's in terms of 'bloody hell, how bad is this'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 22:53 - Oct 8 with 2034 viewsMelford

Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 12:28 - Oct 8 by BlueBadger

Jodie Whittaker totally sells it that she IS the Doctor, slightly thin plot, but then again the 'new Doctor' stories often are, I liked Bradley Walsh in it a lot and the villain was a nicely imaginative design.

My now ex-mrs is into Doctor Who like I'm into The Beatles. When she found out it was a woman Doctor with Bradley Walsh she went mental. I haven't seen her since last week, I'm going to have my ear bent off tomorrow, our first win of the season and a new Doctor. I reckon I'll get 10 words in through the full hour dog walk, two of those being good morning.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 23:24 - Oct 8 with 2016 viewscaught-in-limbo

Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 12:30 - Oct 8 by WarkTheWarkITFC

As a massive Dr Who fan, I always expect to be disappointed with new doctors because they are never going to start on a par with your favourite, but over time they can grow to be.

I thought David Tennant was great, Matt Smith even better and Peter Capaldi was poor. Just came across as an angry, agitated version, lacking much of the humour that makes it so good.

I've got absolutely no problem with a woman Doctor. I can get my head around it, but the romantic interest part is going to be interesting because you'd imagine that the long standing attraction is quite clearly proven to be towards women. So whether that means a lesbian Dr who knows.

Would certainly give the PC lot something to moan about. They are having a field day on Twitter with a woman Dr, a white man companion, who was married to a black woman and a young black and young Asian companion. 2 men, 2 women, across young and old, white, black and Asian, northern and southern. Plenty moaning about the most deserving people not be given parts in order to tick boxes.

I think Jodie did okay. Could certainly grow to like her but a few times she acted like a stereotypical woman rather than the Dr we know. Much more empathy, more willing to talk about family. Didn't seem like the Dr at all, but what they expect a woman to generally be, which was poor.

I thought that script with Tennant or Smith though would have been incredible. Better than I thought she was be, but overly not blown away.

There's nothing sci-fi or futuristic about a lesbian Doctor. The ultimate goal for Dr Who is a transhuman who'll get his/her techo-turn-ons and love bytes from a good-looking, androgynous Davros-type character. Before we reach that point, we definitely need a transexual Doctor and probably either a non-binary or gender fluid one to bridge the gap.

I have every faith in the BBC's ability to promote and champion the most minor of gender types in a wider effort to take identity politics to uncharted levels of obscurity and ultimate irrelevance.
[Post edited 9 Oct 2018 9:46]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 00:21 - Oct 9 with 1992 viewsronnyd

Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 13:18 - Oct 8 by BlueBadger

It's just a daft kids' show about a time travelling alien that fights talking dustbins, I suspect that the lead actors' genitals are unlikely to be the part that's most unbelievable about it.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2018 13:24]

Quite agree, for years it,s been a kids T/V show but for the last few years the BBC have been touting it as "serious drama". Not to me it ain,t.
Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 08:05 - Oct 9 with 1949 viewssolemio

Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 17:07 - Oct 8 by chicoazul

Dr Who is for children.

Very unfair. It is for children and those who have not been able to leave their childhood behind.
Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 09:14 - Oct 9 with 1917 viewspeterleeblue

Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 13:36 - Oct 8 by Benters2

I thought it was crap it shouldnt have been allowed.

She should have stayed in Broadchurch.

well thought out reasoning Benters!
Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 10:20 - Oct 9 with 1875 viewschicoazul

Dr Who - what y'all think of the new one then? (n/t) on 17:13 - Oct 8 by sparks

Oh I agree, I like/chat all sorts of nonsense. That doesnt change the fact Dr Who is for children.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024