Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party 10:18 - Nov 2 with 69344 viewsGlasgowBlue

For some of us this comes as no surprise.

https://news.sky.com/story/met-police-begin-criminal-investigation-into-labour-a

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 13:38 - Nov 3 with 4925 viewsRyorry

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 13:29 - Nov 3 by BanksterDebtSlave

.....but not to give equal weight to them!

No doubt at least partly depends on how personally affected you might be, including where you live.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 13:39 - Nov 3 with 4919 viewsRyorry

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 13:35 - Nov 3 by Darth_Koont

See my answer to Zombers.

Even so, it detracts from the seriousness of the debate.

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 13:41 - Nov 3 with 4894 viewsDarth_Koont

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 13:39 - Nov 3 by Ryorry

Even so, it detracts from the seriousness of the debate.

Pah! You've upvoted some of the silliest posts in the debate.

Pronouns: He/Him

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 13:45 - Nov 3 with 4887 viewsRyorry

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 13:41 - Nov 3 by Darth_Koont

Pah! You've upvoted some of the silliest posts in the debate.

Unfortunately, Gav hasn't yet managed to devise a system for up or downvoting different parts of the same posts. Perhaps in the next update ...

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 13:55 - Nov 3 with 4858 viewsDarth_Koont

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 13:45 - Nov 3 by Ryorry

Unfortunately, Gav hasn't yet managed to devise a system for up or downvoting different parts of the same posts. Perhaps in the next update ...

Why upvote a barmy post if you only agree with 5% of it?

And what part of Lowers post did you agree with when he swerved answering me and instead tried to re-direct the discussion? By showing the Swastika-Star of David poster again and then heavily editorialising what I wrote so it now sounds as if I DON'T think it's antisemitic.

Seriously ...

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 14:00 - Nov 3 with 4862 viewsRyorry

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 13:55 - Nov 3 by Darth_Koont

Why upvote a barmy post if you only agree with 5% of it?

And what part of Lowers post did you agree with when he swerved answering me and instead tried to re-direct the discussion? By showing the Swastika-Star of David poster again and then heavily editorialising what I wrote so it now sounds as if I DON'T think it's antisemitic.

Seriously ...

Why don't you ask everyone on the thread to justify their votes? Have you looked at all of them?Would be interesting to see the replies of all those who've voted on it.

As for my own, you're ascribing far too much weight to them - sometimes I'm simply in a hurry & do them as a shorthand way of acknowledging a post. Probably a bit too fb-like tbf.

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 14:07 - Nov 3 with 4836 viewsDarth_Koont

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 14:00 - Nov 3 by Ryorry

Why don't you ask everyone on the thread to justify their votes? Have you looked at all of them?Would be interesting to see the replies of all those who've voted on it.

As for my own, you're ascribing far too much weight to them - sometimes I'm simply in a hurry & do them as a shorthand way of acknowledging a post. Probably a bit too fb-like tbf.

I noticed because those 2 awful posts are in different ways exactly what is wrong with the debate you're trying to preserve.

Not sure upvotes should be given in a hurry just to "acknowledge a post". Either you agree with it on the whole or you don't.

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 14:18 - Nov 3 with 4755 viewsBenters2

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 11:08 - Nov 3 by WeWereZombies

I rarely agree with Benters but your description of him is out of order.

Thank you Sir.
Login to get fewer ads

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 14:18 - Nov 3 with 4827 viewsRyorry

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 14:07 - Nov 3 by Darth_Koont

I noticed because those 2 awful posts are in different ways exactly what is wrong with the debate you're trying to preserve.

Not sure upvotes should be given in a hurry just to "acknowledge a post". Either you agree with it on the whole or you don't.

You're being incredibly selective. Suggest you take another look right through.
And I'm not trying to "preserve" anything, - I simply suggested right at the outset that it would be good if mudslinging were avoided, to keep the debate to a decent quality. Unfortunately it hasn't been.

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 14:26 - Nov 3 with 4802 viewsDarth_Koont

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 14:18 - Nov 3 by Ryorry

And I'm not trying to "preserve" anything, - I simply suggested right at the outset that it would be good if mudslinging were avoided, to keep the debate to a decent quality. Unfortunately it hasn't been.

No, I'm responding to the points you yourself are making. Nothing selective about it at all.

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 14:27 - Nov 3 with 4815 viewsFootballpete

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 14:18 - Nov 3 by Ryorry

I agree. It adds nothing to debate and makes the perpetrators look foolish.

Poll: Which Top Gear presenter is the biggest dickhead?

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 14:46 - Nov 3 with 4746 viewsSeablu

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 13:34 - Nov 3 by Darth_Koont

Benters self-identifies as an ignorant bigot so would be disrespectful to call him anything else.

On a more serious note it's a little harsh. But only a little IMO.

I make you right.
A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 15:08 - Nov 3 with 4739 viewsRyorry

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 14:26 - Nov 3 by Darth_Koont

No, I'm responding to the points you yourself are making. Nothing selective about it at all.

It was only yourself who kicked off a whole thing about voting, I hadn't even mentioned it.

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 15:29 - Nov 3 with 4723 viewsGlasgowBlue

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 20:52 - Nov 2 by J2BLUE

Thanks for the reply, it's much better with a bit of context as the meme on its own is bloody stupid.

I hope we can agree though that however differently people interpret these things, Dolly and Footers are not anti-Semitic. You can't ignore their entire posting history to make a judgement on a couple of sentences. Don't take this the wrong way but you've posted many 'total proof' posts which have left many of us unconvinced.

Where to start?

I prefer to limit my weekend posting time to football related matters but there are a few things I’d like to address in your post.

Firstly, I haven’t accused either Dolly or Footers of being anti-Semites. I have said that they have used words that stray into the realms of anti-Semitism. They have.

Let’s start with Dolly and what he has posted on this thread. I’ve taken him off ignore to read his posts on this thread again. And by doing so I can see he is continuing to double down on his offensive views.

Now I have explained on numerous occasions that although I’m not Jewish myself I am of Jewish descent with a Jewish surname. I have also explained that my wife is half Jewish and therefore my children have Jewish blood. So to constantly have my motives questioned with regards to this subject is offensive if said once or twice. When it is questioned by the same poster Ad infinitum, it takes on a far more sinister tone.

Imagine a poster of Afro Caribbean descent with an obvious African surname who was married to a woman of mixed race, and they had been highlighting racism towards the afro Cariban community in the UK from the BNP or UKip. Now imagine that another poster constantly called into question their motives for highlighting that racism. The great and the good of TWTD would call that poster out as a racist.

Dolly has one MO when it comes to this subject. Ignore the issue and play the man. He’s done it ever since the subject of Antisemitism in the Labour party became a talking point on the board. It took another poster, Ryorry to point out that I have been posting on this subject for over ten years, that’s a good seven and a half years before Dolly had ever heard of Jeremy Corbyn.

So Dolly’s first contribution to this thread was once again to attack the man. “I don't remember seeing you linking to this example of Conservative racism and antisemitism recently”. He even linked an article to support his argument. I had actually been the first to comment on and condemn when it happened at the time.

Boris is on (n/t) by GlasgowBlue 3 Oct 2018 11:41
And in the interest of balance I would hope these utter scumbags have their membership of the Conservative party revoked immediately.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/outrage-tory-uni-society-picture-13350145

What makes human beings act in this appalling and disgusting manner?

I really shouldn’t have to justify myself to that buffoon but again I’ve condemned racism when highlighted in the Tory party. Whether it was Boris and his racist remarks regarding the Burka, recent misogynist comments or the Tories loathsome support in the EU Parliament for Orban. I was the first on here to condemn May for her anti-immigrant rhetoric long before most on here had even heard of her.

Unfortunately, it’s too late though. He’s gone for the man rather than addressing the subject.

His next contribution was to suggest that the Tories pressured the police into starting an investigation into antisemitism within the Labour party. Which is why I replied with the LAS meme that we discussed previously. By trying to portray the issue as a Tory led conspiracy he's dismissing a minority who have been highlighting this ever growing issue for the past two and a half years.

He then continued with a post that is not only offensive but racist “It actually came across as though he'd only just realised his wife was half Jewish and he thought "ooh, I can add that in to show I'm not just doing this because I'm anti-Corbyn... I can even bring the kids into it too - much more emotive"

(FYI Dollers you are an absolute disgrace to talk about my wife and kids like that)

So with regards to Dolly, I stand by what I said. I don’t think he’s an anti-Semite but he has strayed dangerously into using antisemitic language.

Next up footers.
On a thread where I am highlighting antisemitism towards British Jews he goes for the “I wonder if Glassers et al support the creation and international recognition of the Palestinian state as a homeland for persecuted Palestinians who also have the right to self-determination.”

WTF does that have to do with highlighting antisemtism?

Just think about that for a minute. At best it is whataboutery. But it’s whataboutery with antisemitic undertones. It’s no more acceptable than a man of Asian descent complaining about Islamophobia being challenged by “But what about your views on IS and the 9/11 attack”? Racism isn’t it? So why should the same criteria not be afforded to the Jewish community?

An Irish man on the receiving end of racial abuse in England. “Well that’s all well and good but what are your views on the IRA murdering children? Where do you stand on this?”

Really J2. Why should somebody who is complaining about antisemitism have their views on the Israeli/Palestine conflict brought into question? It's irrelevant.

But not being satisfied with using antisemitic whataboutery once he then goes on to suggest that the British Jewish community could alleviate antisemitic attacks against them by lobbying the British government to recognise Palestine.

Imagine suggesting to the Muslim Council of Great Britain that if they don’t want to be on the end of Islamophobic attacks or abuse all they have to do is speak out against Islamic terrorism. When that has been suggested on here it has been called out as racism. Plain and simple. No iffs and no buts.

But again with Footers, I don’t think he’s antisemitic. But he is a symptom of why anti-Semitism is so prevalent in today’s Labour party and the left in general. They aren’t out and out Jew haters in the same way that people in the EDL are Muslim haters. They don’t realise they are doing it.

But what starts with interchanging Jew/Zionist/Israel in the conversation goes on to holding non Israeli Jews to account for what happens in Israel. Then Jewish Labour MP’s are in the pay of Israel. That spills into the Jewish lobby controlling the media and politics. Then it’s holocaust revision (Not six million but 1.5 million. This is a favourite on Labour social media sites). Then it’s holocaust denial. Hitler was right. Soft antisemitic language and tropes are a gateway drug to the much harder and more sinister stuff.

I see this day after day on Labour/Pro Corbyn social media forums.

BTW I’m not suggesting for one minute that footers has gone down that route. But the two points he made in the context of the thread were antisemitic in tone. I would hope he’d reflect on that.

I’m slightly confused by the last line of your reply: “Don't take this the wrong way but you've posted many 'total proof' posts which have left many of us unconvinced”.

That Labour doesn’t have a serious problem with anti-Semitism and that has increased significantly since Jeremy Corbyn was elected as leader? I’m not sure what more proof you need. But since you asked:

Let’s start with Sir Trevor Philips, former head of the Equalities and Human Rights Commission. Somebody who knows a damn sight more about racism than you or I. He says that “It doesn’t help that one of our great parties, the one that I belong to, is led by anti-Semites and racists, who basically want to essentially eliminate anyone who disagrees with them.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/labour-led-by-anti-semites-and-racists-sa

Chuka Umunna, Labour MP
“Labour has become an institutionally racist organisation through its failure to deal with antisemitism”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/09/chuka-umunna-labour-is-institut

Or that well known right wing Blairite Tory, Peter Tatchell

Mehdi Hasan?

I wonder what drew them to this conclusion. Perhaps they were more convinced than you about the proof? So here's some "proof" for you to consider.

How about when Corbyn was caught lying about his association to a self confessed Holocaust denier?

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1024586364157915137.html

Perhaps this is article is enough proof (if you bother to read it)

http://david-collier.com/corbyn-antisemitic-anti-zionism/

or these examples of Labour’s antisemitism issue? Proof enough? Do you remain unconvinced? (This doesn’t include the links I’m posted yesterday. Those alone should have convinced you anyway).

Nice shower joke here

A letter sent to the Jewish Labour Movement

How about the time that Corbyn invited James Thring, Neo Nazi, friend of David Duke and defender of David Irving, to speak at one of his events?

I could link plenty more but if you don’t see any of the above as proof then I will only be wasting my time.

Enjoy your weekend. On Monday I’ll politely ask you to address the points made as you did with me yesterday.
[Post edited 3 Nov 2018 17:55]

Iron Lion Zion

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 16:05 - Nov 3 with 4682 viewsJ2BLUE

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 15:29 - Nov 3 by GlasgowBlue

Where to start?

I prefer to limit my weekend posting time to football related matters but there are a few things I’d like to address in your post.

Firstly, I haven’t accused either Dolly or Footers of being anti-Semites. I have said that they have used words that stray into the realms of anti-Semitism. They have.

Let’s start with Dolly and what he has posted on this thread. I’ve taken him off ignore to read his posts on this thread again. And by doing so I can see he is continuing to double down on his offensive views.

Now I have explained on numerous occasions that although I’m not Jewish myself I am of Jewish descent with a Jewish surname. I have also explained that my wife is half Jewish and therefore my children have Jewish blood. So to constantly have my motives questioned with regards to this subject is offensive if said once or twice. When it is questioned by the same poster Ad infinitum, it takes on a far more sinister tone.

Imagine a poster of Afro Caribbean descent with an obvious African surname who was married to a woman of mixed race, and they had been highlighting racism towards the afro Cariban community in the UK from the BNP or UKip. Now imagine that another poster constantly called into question their motives for highlighting that racism. The great and the good of TWTD would call that poster out as a racist.

Dolly has one MO when it comes to this subject. Ignore the issue and play the man. He’s done it ever since the subject of Antisemitism in the Labour party became a talking point on the board. It took another poster, Ryorry to point out that I have been posting on this subject for over ten years, that’s a good seven and a half years before Dolly had ever heard of Jeremy Corbyn.

So Dolly’s first contribution to this thread was once again to attack the man. “I don't remember seeing you linking to this example of Conservative racism and antisemitism recently”. He even linked an article to support his argument. I had actually been the first to comment on and condemn when it happened at the time.

Boris is on (n/t) by GlasgowBlue 3 Oct 2018 11:41
And in the interest of balance I would hope these utter scumbags have their membership of the Conservative party revoked immediately.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/outrage-tory-uni-society-picture-13350145

What makes human beings act in this appalling and disgusting manner?

I really shouldn’t have to justify myself to that buffoon but again I’ve condemned racism when highlighted in the Tory party. Whether it was Boris and his racist remarks regarding the Burka, recent misogynist comments or the Tories loathsome support in the EU Parliament for Orban. I was the first on here to condemn May for her anti-immigrant rhetoric long before most on here had even heard of her.

Unfortunately, it’s too late though. He’s gone for the man rather than addressing the subject.

His next contribution was to suggest that the Tories pressured the police into starting an investigation into antisemitism within the Labour party. Which is why I replied with the LAS meme that we discussed previously. By trying to portray the issue as a Tory led conspiracy he's dismissing a minority who have been highlighting this ever growing issue for the past two and a half years.

He then continued with a post that is not only offensive but racist “It actually came across as though he'd only just realised his wife was half Jewish and he thought "ooh, I can add that in to show I'm not just doing this because I'm anti-Corbyn... I can even bring the kids into it too - much more emotive"

(FYI Dollers you are an absolute disgrace to talk about my wife and kids like that)

So with regards to Dolly, I stand by what I said. I don’t think he’s an anti-Semite but he has strayed dangerously into using antisemitic language.

Next up footers.
On a thread where I am highlighting antisemitism towards British Jews he goes for the “I wonder if Glassers et al support the creation and international recognition of the Palestinian state as a homeland for persecuted Palestinians who also have the right to self-determination.”

WTF does that have to do with highlighting antisemtism?

Just think about that for a minute. At best it is whataboutery. But it’s whataboutery with antisemitic undertones. It’s no more acceptable than a man of Asian descent complaining about Islamophobia being challenged by “But what about your views on IS and the 9/11 attack”? Racism isn’t it? So why should the same criteria not be afforded to the Jewish community?

An Irish man on the receiving end of racial abuse in England. “Well that’s all well and good but what are your views on the IRA murdering children? Where do you stand on this?”

Really J2. Why should somebody who is complaining about antisemitism have their views on the Israeli/Palestine conflict brought into question? It's irrelevant.

But not being satisfied with using antisemitic whataboutery once he then goes on to suggest that the British Jewish community could alleviate antisemitic attacks against them by lobbying the British government to recognise Palestine.

Imagine suggesting to the Muslim Council of Great Britain that if they don’t want to be on the end of Islamophobic attacks or abuse all they have to do is speak out against Islamic terrorism. When that has been suggested on here it has been called out as racism. Plain and simple. No iffs and no buts.

But again with Footers, I don’t think he’s antisemitic. But he is a symptom of why anti-Semitism is so prevalent in today’s Labour party and the left in general. They aren’t out and out Jew haters in the same way that people in the EDL are Muslim haters. They don’t realise they are doing it.

But what starts with interchanging Jew/Zionist/Israel in the conversation goes on to holding non Israeli Jews to account for what happens in Israel. Then Jewish Labour MP’s are in the pay of Israel. That spills into the Jewish lobby controlling the media and politics. Then it’s holocaust revision (Not six million but 1.5 million. This is a favourite on Labour social media sites). Then it’s holocaust denial. Hitler was right. Soft antisemitic language and tropes are a gateway drug to the much harder and more sinister stuff.

I see this day after day on Labour/Pro Corbyn social media forums.

BTW I’m not suggesting for one minute that footers has gone down that route. But the two points he made in the context of the thread were antisemitic in tone. I would hope he’d reflect on that.

I’m slightly confused by the last line of your reply: “Don't take this the wrong way but you've posted many 'total proof' posts which have left many of us unconvinced”.

That Labour doesn’t have a serious problem with anti-Semitism and that has increased significantly since Jeremy Corbyn was elected as leader? I’m not sure what more proof you need. But since you asked:

Let’s start with Sir Trevor Philips, former head of the Equalities and Human Rights Commission. Somebody who knows a damn sight more about racism than you or I. He says that “It doesn’t help that one of our great parties, the one that I belong to, is led by anti-Semites and racists, who basically want to essentially eliminate anyone who disagrees with them.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/labour-led-by-anti-semites-and-racists-sa

Chuka Umunna, Labour MP
“Labour has become an institutionally racist organisation through its failure to deal with antisemitism”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/09/chuka-umunna-labour-is-institut

Or that well known right wing Blairite Tory, Peter Tatchell

Mehdi Hasan?

I wonder what drew them to this conclusion. Perhaps they were more convinced than you about the proof? So here's some "proof" for you to consider.

How about when Corbyn was caught lying about his association to a self confessed Holocaust denier?

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1024586364157915137.html

Perhaps this is article is enough proof (if you bother to read it)

http://david-collier.com/corbyn-antisemitic-anti-zionism/

or these examples of Labour’s antisemitism issue? Proof enough? Do you remain unconvinced? (This doesn’t include the links I’m posted yesterday. Those alone should have convinced you anyway).

Nice shower joke here

A letter sent to the Jewish Labour Movement

How about the time that Corbyn invited James Thring, Neo Nazi, friend of David Duke and defender of David Irving, to speak at one of his events?

I could link plenty more but if you don’t see any of the above as proof then I will only be wasting my time.

Enjoy your weekend. On Monday I’ll politely ask you to address the points made as you did with me yesterday.
[Post edited 3 Nov 2018 17:55]

Cheers, can we make it Tuesday? I prefer to keep my reading to roughly one bible length per weekend

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 17:50 - Nov 3 with 4623 viewsGlasgowBlue

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 16:05 - Nov 3 by J2BLUE

Cheers, can we make it Tuesday? I prefer to keep my reading to roughly one bible length per weekend

If it's Tuesday then there will also be a test.

Iron Lion Zion

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 18:15 - Nov 3 with 4590 viewsDarth_Koont

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 17:50 - Nov 3 by GlasgowBlue

If it's Tuesday then there will also be a test.

Is the answer: Conflation?

Take your very best example of endemic antisemitism and let's look at it. We all know there are antisemites in all walks of life so the list proves you're obsessed more than anything else.

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 18:31 - Nov 3 with 4574 viewsDarth_Koont

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 15:08 - Nov 3 by Ryorry

It was only yourself who kicked off a whole thing about voting, I hadn't even mentioned it.

Kicked off? Behave.

If anyone started it, it's the person who upvoted cretinous posts and then talked about the seriousness of the debate. Just too much hypocrisy for my blood.

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 19:19 - Nov 3 with 4540 viewsRyorry

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 18:31 - Nov 3 by Darth_Koont

Kicked off? Behave.

If anyone started it, it's the person who upvoted cretinous posts and then talked about the seriousness of the debate. Just too much hypocrisy for my blood.

I'm sorry but all that post goes to prove is that you only read into things what you want to. I wrote "kicked off" meaning k/o - this is a football site, we were a few mins from k/o in our own rather important game, so that expression was kinda on my mind.

As for your accusing me of hypcrisy - the irony meter just shot through the roof and then bust open. I don't particularly mean you actually, but hundreds of people on here who really are hypocritical and who you don't pull up for it - quite the opposite.

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 19:26 - Nov 3 with 4524 viewsDarth_Koont

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 19:19 - Nov 3 by Ryorry

I'm sorry but all that post goes to prove is that you only read into things what you want to. I wrote "kicked off" meaning k/o - this is a football site, we were a few mins from k/o in our own rather important game, so that expression was kinda on my mind.

As for your accusing me of hypcrisy - the irony meter just shot through the roof and then bust open. I don't particularly mean you actually, but hundreds of people on here who really are hypocritical and who you don't pull up for it - quite the opposite.

?

This isn't going anywhere. It's not me, it's you.

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 19:33 - Nov 3 with 4512 viewsfooters

Naughty me for enquiring about Palestine... touchy! Maybe I was searching for an equivalence in views on stateless peoples and the current situation in the ME. It was a curious question, and I am a curious creature, in both senses of the word.

Why it's pertinent to the discussion: most of the evidence supplied conflates legitimate condemnation of the acts of the Israeli state with antisemitism. The definition of antisemitism you and others have universally adopted contains seven references to Israel. So moving the discussion to Israel/Palestine in the wider context of antisemitism's definition is now in itself antisemitic? Brill. Quite useful in shutting down dissent. "Antisemite!"

As for your example of the Irish, I'm glad you brought that up as I'm half Irish and my family have been on various sides of various conflicts for decades. The truth is that Ireland and Israel are both far more nuanced debates that require wider discussion. Asking someone Irish on their views tactfully would be, and usually is, quite illuminating. Or do we shut down that conversation now that one of the provinces is part of UK PLC?

And on hijacking threads, come now GB... Even our fairly recent discussion about BoJo's clear Islamophobia turned into a Corbyn-fest for you. Why not stick to the topic? Or did you want to broaden the conversation?

This is why people don't like your style of debate: you pick and choose when to be pious, when jokes are acceptable and when changing the topic is appropriate; you like to set the rules so pompously but rarely follow them yourself.

I am ever so grateful that you've judged me to be non-antisemitic. I shall sleep better tonight and for ever knowing that I'm not an out and out jew-hater, I merely stray into antisemitic language every now and again, at parties or on the odd weekend with the lads.

Trying to bludgeon people with tweets rather than addressing the point of genuine criticism of Israel being labelled as antisemitic when it is not is a problem with your argument. You fail to see the nuance, purposefully so in my opinion.

That you are so condescending in your appraisal of my position is telling. I am a fervent anti-racist who has no difficulty in telling what is antisemitic and what is not. Calling Israel an apartheid state is not antisemitic, and if Israel has a problem with that label then they should recognise Palestine, to begin a true two-state solution.
[Post edited 3 Nov 2018 19:34]

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 19:35 - Nov 3 with 4504 viewsDarth_Koont

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 19:33 - Nov 3 by footers

Naughty me for enquiring about Palestine... touchy! Maybe I was searching for an equivalence in views on stateless peoples and the current situation in the ME. It was a curious question, and I am a curious creature, in both senses of the word.

Why it's pertinent to the discussion: most of the evidence supplied conflates legitimate condemnation of the acts of the Israeli state with antisemitism. The definition of antisemitism you and others have universally adopted contains seven references to Israel. So moving the discussion to Israel/Palestine in the wider context of antisemitism's definition is now in itself antisemitic? Brill. Quite useful in shutting down dissent. "Antisemite!"

As for your example of the Irish, I'm glad you brought that up as I'm half Irish and my family have been on various sides of various conflicts for decades. The truth is that Ireland and Israel are both far more nuanced debates that require wider discussion. Asking someone Irish on their views tactfully would be, and usually is, quite illuminating. Or do we shut down that conversation now that one of the provinces is part of UK PLC?

And on hijacking threads, come now GB... Even our fairly recent discussion about BoJo's clear Islamophobia turned into a Corbyn-fest for you. Why not stick to the topic? Or did you want to broaden the conversation?

This is why people don't like your style of debate: you pick and choose when to be pious, when jokes are acceptable and when changing the topic is appropriate; you like to set the rules so pompously but rarely follow them yourself.

I am ever so grateful that you've judged me to be non-antisemitic. I shall sleep better tonight and for ever knowing that I'm not an out and out jew-hater, I merely stray into antisemitic language every now and again, at parties or on the odd weekend with the lads.

Trying to bludgeon people with tweets rather than addressing the point of genuine criticism of Israel being labelled as antisemitic when it is not is a problem with your argument. You fail to see the nuance, purposefully so in my opinion.

That you are so condescending in your appraisal of my position is telling. I am a fervent anti-racist who has no difficulty in telling what is antisemitic and what is not. Calling Israel an apartheid state is not antisemitic, and if Israel has a problem with that label then they should recognise Palestine, to begin a true two-state solution.

Great post. You captured the "debate" and the tactics perfectly.

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 23:19 - Nov 3 with 4364 viewsGlasgowBlue

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 19:33 - Nov 3 by footers

So, instead of taking up my offer to reflect on why your comments could be described as inappropriate, you choose to double down on them. Hey ho. You have nailed your colours to the mast.

Once again, my views on Israel/Palestine are irrelevant to the discussion taking place. You may as well have asked me on my views of the Chinese government’s persecution of the Uyghurs. Or the attempted genocide of the Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar.

But you decide, in a debate about British Jews being on the receiving end of antisemitic abuse to play the “yeah but what about Israel’s treatment of the Palestinians”? card. And you don't see what is wrong in that?

You declined to answer this question before, but I shall ask you once again: If the debate was about Islamophobia within the EDL or Ukip, would your response be “yeah but what about IS and 9/11”?

I can only imagine the response from the majority of board members if you did so.

Also, why should the British Jewish community lobby the government to recognise Palestine as a state in order to alleviate themselves of racial abuse? Would you say that the British Muslim community should speak out far more often against Islamic terrorism so as to alleviate themselves of Islamophobia?

Of course you wouldn't. Because the British Muslim community are no more responsible for the atrocities carried out by Islamic terrorist groups than the British Jewish community is responsible for the actions of the state of Israel.

Again, I'd be grateful if you would respond to that point.

You talk about me bludgeoning people with tweets rather than addressing the point of genuine criticism of Israel. Firstly, I was asked by another poster to provide proof that antisemitism is a major problem within the membership of the Labour party. Secondly, It’s people like you, DK and CIL who seem rather keen to to move the debate away from genuine antisemitism aimed at British Jews and onto the subject of people playing the antisemitism card to stifle legitimate criticism of Israel.

Legitimate criticism of Israel is perfectly acceptable. I’ve never suggested otherwise. No one on here who is highlighting the vile abuse that British Jews are receiving from Labour party members has said anything to the contrary. And with Bibi in power legitimate criticism is very important. The man is a monster and is a roadblock to any peaceful solution. You can say that Israel is acting in an appalling manner with regards to the blockade of Gaza. That the illegal Israeli settlements are a disgrace and should be bulldozed and the occupants forcibly removed. There I’ve just said it. It’s not anti-Semitic.

Does the neo con right wing Bibi government play the anti-Semitism card to shut down debate on the Israel/Palestine issue? of course. Bad governments play the race card to shut down legitimate criticism. Mugabe used to constantly play the race card to shut down criticism of his appalling human rights record.

Does that mean that racism isn’t real? Of course not. Just as Bibi using the antisemitism card to shut down criticism of his government and his actions doesn’t mean that the antisemitism British Jews have been receiving from Labour party members isn’t real.

But again, instead of addressing the vile abuse that I have highlighted in this thread you prefer to deflect it by saying that Israel are playing the antisemitism card to deflect legitimate criticism. Well you have obviously seen the tweets and social media posts from Labour members that I have linked. Show me just one that is legitimate criticism of Israel and not cut and dried antisemitism. Just one.

In fact if anyone is trying to stifle the debate about the anti-Semitism problem in the Labour party it its you

Your last line sums up that deflection tactic perfectly:
“Calling Israel an apartheid state is not antisemitic, and if Israel has a problem with that label then they should recognise Palestine, to begin a true two-state solution”

You’re right mate. But then again, no one on this thread has even suggested that.

Now back to the genuine anti-Semitism that I have linked. Any comment you’d like to make without falling back on “yeah but what about Israel”?
[Post edited 3 Nov 2018 23:22]

Iron Lion Zion

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 00:03 - Nov 4 with 4319 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 13:11 - Nov 3 by Darth_Koont

Hehe. 2nd place.

If you can't recognise the difference between the SNP and EDL both in theory and practice then you need to do a LOT of reading.

no I don't. They both want the same thing independence from the UK. You ignorant, arrogant tool.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 00:25 - Nov 4 with 4300 viewsClapham_Junction

A criminal investigation has begun into antisemitism in the Labour party on 00:03 - Nov 4 by Jonnosdreadlocks

no I don't. They both want the same thing independence from the UK. You ignorant, arrogant tool.

Seriously, you're embarrassing yourself here.

The SNP are civil nationalists that want an independent Scotland.

The EDL are an anti-Islam group. They don't campaign for an independent England.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024