Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Murder on North Sentinel Island 13:37 - Nov 22 with 6210 viewsGlasgowBlue

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/21/asia/andaman-nicobar-us-missionary-killed-int

Not sure if this has been covered but what do TWTD folk make of this?

I understand that the bloke knew the risk when he trespassed on an Island that has decided to cut itself off from the modern world but would we expect our government to put pressure on India to take action if this was British backpacker who travelled there on his gap year?

I'm torn on this.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 13:47 - Nov 22 with 3919 viewsWeekender

I have no sympathy for him. family said he has nothing but love for the tribes but clearly not enough love to prevent him potentially exposing them to diseases they have no immunity to. Its illegal to go anywhere near them but he obviously he decided the law didn't apply to him. selfish idiot.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 13:49 - Nov 22 with 3913 viewsSwansea_Blue

He knew the risks
He was there illegally, and knew it
He'd tried twice before and been driven off

I can't help but feel he deserves, ironically, a Darwin Award.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 13:49 - Nov 22 with 3904 viewsHerbivore

I'm not really torn on it, it was his own fault. He knew not to go there but went anyway and the outcome was grimly predictable. The tribe are meant to be left well alone and that ought to continue.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 13:50 - Nov 22 with 3906 viewsm14_blue

I’m not torn at all, he’s entirely to blame.

I absolutely would not expect our government to act if it was a British backpacker, in fact I’d be horrified if they did.
Murder on North Sentinel Island on 13:51 - Nov 22 with 3905 viewsGlasgowBlue

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 13:47 - Nov 22 by Weekender

I have no sympathy for him. family said he has nothing but love for the tribes but clearly not enough love to prevent him potentially exposing them to diseases they have no immunity to. Its illegal to go anywhere near them but he obviously he decided the law didn't apply to him. selfish idiot.

I have no sympathy for him and he put the Islanders at risk as they have no immunisation against 21st century ailments. But at the same time, if we excuse murder based on a tribe's decision to not engage with the modern world then do we excuse the same from one of these USA crackpot religious groups who cut themselves off from civilisation?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 13:58 - Nov 22 with 3868 viewsm14_blue

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 13:51 - Nov 22 by GlasgowBlue

I have no sympathy for him and he put the Islanders at risk as they have no immunisation against 21st century ailments. But at the same time, if we excuse murder based on a tribe's decision to not engage with the modern world then do we excuse the same from one of these USA crackpot religious groups who cut themselves off from civilisation?

That’s not the same thing at all.
Murder on North Sentinel Island on 14:00 - Nov 22 with 3865 viewsstig4532

Darwin's law.
Murder on North Sentinel Island on 14:01 - Nov 22 with 3861 viewsWeekender

Different scenarios for me. They have no sense of society/law and order other than their own. To them they are protecting themselves from a potentially mortal invading threat. Their perspective is bound to be influenced by colonial Britain reducing their number from 1000's to 100's.

A religious group in america would know how law/order works but would be choosing to ignore it.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Login to get fewer ads

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 14:02 - Nov 22 with 3852 viewsLord_Lucan

Send Trump over to sort it out.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 14:04 - Nov 22 with 3832 viewsHerbivore

You're comparing apples and snow boots.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 14:10 - Nov 22 with 3816 viewsKeno

That’s the most long winded Natalie Imbuglia (so) tribute post I’ve ever seen

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 14:18 - Nov 22 with 3797 viewsGuthrum

Key difference is that the US survivalists have unilaterally withdrawn from society while continuing to live within its territory, while the North Sentinelese have never (at least not within known history) been incorporated into the wider world.

The local authorities regard them as sovreign and independent.

The death of a traveller (there is some question over his missionary status) could be used as a causus belli - and often was historically. However, that would not be considered ethical nowadays. Plus the bloke (and the fishermen who transported him) knew their actions were illegal and had previously nearly always ended with fatalities.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 14:22 - Nov 22 with 3782 viewsfooters

He'll be a martyr now, so win win I guess.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 14:24 - Nov 22 with 3784 viewsGuthrum

Interesting thing: The language they speak is completely unknown and unintelligible even to natives of other islands in the same area.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2018 14:31]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 14:27 - Nov 22 with 3765 viewsTIB

India took no action against some fisherman they killed in 2006 and this should be treated the same. There's not much left on this planet untouched / unspoilt by us and whilst the tribe is amazing, the laws and warnings are there to preserve them...if you do the crime, you do the time, just in this case, the "time" is death but I can't help but feel his religious beliefs perhaps blurred his vision of how he thought his plans would go.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 14:31 - Nov 22 with 3752 viewsRyorry

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 14:00 - Nov 22 by stig4532

Darwin's law.

Exactly - 'survival of the fittest' etc - you'd have to be a very stupid, disrespectful, arrogant law-breaker to go there at all, never mind in a proselytizing role.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 14:34 - Nov 22 with 3747 viewsIpswichKnight

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 14:24 - Nov 22 by Guthrum

Interesting thing: The language they speak is completely unknown and unintelligible even to natives of other islands in the same area.

Think I read a few words are similar to other indigenous languages but itis only a few words, no one has successfully communicated with them. Closet was in 1991 when an Indian anthropologist managed to get them to take some Coconuts and fish without them shooting arrows or trying to stab them.

The Indian government checked up on them after the 2004 Tsunami and found that they seemed to have increased in population and had suffered no effects from it.

If it wasn't for the scavenged iron from ship wrecks it would be like meeting our stone age ancestors.
Murder on North Sentinel Island on 14:53 - Nov 22 with 3705 viewschicoazul

Now that is what I call an immigration policy.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 14:57 - Nov 22 with 3694 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

very much a 'local place for local people'. The Natives have always been very erm, hostile...

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 15:42 - Nov 22 with 3629 viewsXYZ

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 14:53 - Nov 22 by chicoazul

Now that is what I call an immigration policy.

Somewhere deep in 55 Tufton St a new immigration policy for post-Brexit, post united Ireland, post Scottish independence, Stone-Age-like England is being rapidly drawn up.
Murder on North Sentinel Island on 15:49 - Nov 22 with 3609 viewsPinewoodblue

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 14:57 - Nov 22 by Jonnosdreadlocks

very much a 'local place for local people'. The Natives have always been very erm, hostile...

Bit like Narriddge

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 15:59 - Nov 22 with 3574 viewsSwansea_Blue

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 14:24 - Nov 22 by Guthrum

Otherwise known as the Norfolk Principle!
[Post edited 22 Nov 2018 16:07]

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 16:06 - Nov 22 with 3553 viewsSwansea_Blue

I think he was a fool, but that is a very good question. If that had occurred in most territories there would be a murder investigation in accordance to the local laws.

I know nothing about these islands, so with a bit of wiki-ing:

"The Andaman and Nicobar Administration stated in 2005 that they have no intention to interfere with the lifestyle or habitat of the Sentinelese and are not interested in pursuing any further contact with them or enforcing law on the island"

That should be the end of it, although it also states on wiki that even though the islands and it's people are seen as independent, legally they still aren't, as they haven't been declared an autonomous administrative division of India.

So it seems a bit of an interesting diplomatic quandary for the Americans.

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 16:16 - Nov 22 with 3525 viewsgiant_stow

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 16:06 - Nov 22 by Swansea_Blue

I think he was a fool, but that is a very good question. If that had occurred in most territories there would be a murder investigation in accordance to the local laws.

I know nothing about these islands, so with a bit of wiki-ing:

"The Andaman and Nicobar Administration stated in 2005 that they have no intention to interfere with the lifestyle or habitat of the Sentinelese and are not interested in pursuing any further contact with them or enforcing law on the island"

That should be the end of it, although it also states on wiki that even though the islands and it's people are seen as independent, legally they still aren't, as they haven't been declared an autonomous administrative division of India.

So it seems a bit of an interesting diplomatic quandary for the Americans.

There's nothing to pursue - as far as they're concerned he was trespassing / invading / a sodding alien!

In any case, who are they gonna charge with murder?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 16:22 - Nov 22 with 3516 viewsSwansea_Blue

Murder on North Sentinel Island on 16:16 - Nov 22 by giant_stow

There's nothing to pursue - as far as they're concerned he was trespassing / invading / a sodding alien!

In any case, who are they gonna charge with murder?

Well yes, from their view, but legally the islands appear to still be under Indian law, and I'm sure the US could take issue with one of their citizens being murdered but the Indian authorities doing nothing about it.

Common sense says you're spot on - the local responsible authority has said previously it has no intention of enforcing the law on the island. But that's not a legal position (I don't think).

I'd have thought is an interesting diplomatic issue. But I'm also blissfully ignorant.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024