Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... 18:01 - Dec 6 with 9161 viewsitfcjoe

.....and saying that Hurst had no choice but to overhaul the squad

"you can’t bring in 10 or 12 players in one hit, in one season, nobody does that. Two or three maybe, but not 12, and lads who are unaccustomed to playing in the league, it doesn’t make sense."

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 22:44 - Dec 6 with 3481 viewsKieran_Knows

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 22:07 - Dec 6 by Darth_Koont

We had a fair number of youngsters coming through. We lost a lot of players and always needed half-a dozen at least but we tipped over the edge when we effectively signed senior players who doubled up in almost every position.

I'm sure Downes, Dozzell, Nydam, Emmanuel, Morris, Lankester etc. could have easily been more central to the first team and bench which would have meant we could have spent the money on a little more quality in the players coming in rather than sheer quantity.

Totally agree. I lost all faith in Hurst once Nydam went out on loan. Completely went against everything Evans and himself had said earlier in the summer.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 22:51 - Dec 6 with 3476 viewsWicklowBlue

IMHO Waghorn was sold to free up funds for Hurst to build the squad back up following McG and loanees leaving. Obviously the funds released from this sale weren't spent wisely.

Not sure PH was happy with Garner and Webster exiting but again freed up wages.

So it comes down to working under a budget, players being moved on and Hurst not bringing in replacements to at least fill the void left.

Edit: Forgot to mention Walters...am I wrong in thinking that maybe ME saw what was happening and directly intervened in signing Walters???

What surprises me the most is that Emmanuel didn't get a chance nor Wolfie. While both are developing players, shipping them out on loan meant what little squad depth we had was threadbare.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2018 22:54]
Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 23:29 - Dec 6 with 3441 viewsdavblue

By change he totally misjudged what fans wanted, we wanted a fresh approach in terms of style of play, whether someone at the club misguided him or he guessed what we wanted he got it so wrong.

The team didn’t need a major overhaul 5 or 6 players in would have been fine then a couple more in Jan to build things up.
Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 23:40 - Dec 6 with 3433 viewsCoastalblue

I was quite excited in the early days, we had players coming in which we weren't accustomed to so much these days and it did look like he was cherry picking known quality to him from the lower leagues.

I'll admit to getting a little nervous when it became apparent that was all that was happening, but will confess I was happy to trust him as I thought he was buying players for a system.

I think when he started stating that he'd been told we had some good players but saw no evidence of that I did begin to have a few doubts setting in.

First couple of games though, I just thought fine margins and it did look like there was a plan there, it started to unravel shortly after.

The point I fully decided we were going nowhere fast was Bolton at home, I felt quite angry walking away from the ground afterward, appreciate that was later than quite a few.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 00:09 - Dec 7 with 3401 viewsjeera

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 23:40 - Dec 6 by Coastalblue

I was quite excited in the early days, we had players coming in which we weren't accustomed to so much these days and it did look like he was cherry picking known quality to him from the lower leagues.

I'll admit to getting a little nervous when it became apparent that was all that was happening, but will confess I was happy to trust him as I thought he was buying players for a system.

I think when he started stating that he'd been told we had some good players but saw no evidence of that I did begin to have a few doubts setting in.

First couple of games though, I just thought fine margins and it did look like there was a plan there, it started to unravel shortly after.

The point I fully decided we were going nowhere fast was Bolton at home, I felt quite angry walking away from the ground afterward, appreciate that was later than quite a few.

Official Hurst Position Thread! by SpruceMoose 24 Sep 2018 15:50
As official TWTD historian, I thought I'd start a thread where we can declare whether we are Hurst in or Out.

That way we will have an official record of which posters turned, and when. This will be useful when engaging in future bickering matches about who was worse: Keane/Jewell/Hurst?

I'll go first.

Let the record show, I'm OUT as of Saturday 22nd September at 4:45pm.

EDIT - Please people, keep discussion to other threads. This is just the thread to type 'OUT' when the time comes.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 00:13 - Dec 7 with 3395 viewsjeera

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 22:24 - Dec 6 by BlueyandCrazy

Could have also got Connolly and CCV back. That combined with retaining the yoofs would have significantly reduced the change around and the need for lower league signings on mass.

Chalobah I suspect was coming in anyway, and no coincidence is the best of the summer additions...

Imagine a line up of...

Bart
Connolly
Knudsen
Chambers
Webster/CCV /Woolfenden
Chalobah
Skuse
Ward / Nydam
Dozzell / Sears
Waghorn
Garner

Wouldn’t be bottom and would have continuity

I like that side.

Can we have that side?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 00:17 - Dec 7 with 3390 viewsITFCBlues

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 22:44 - Dec 6 by Kieran_Knows

Totally agree. I lost all faith in Hurst once Nydam went out on loan. Completely went against everything Evans and himself had said earlier in the summer.

The same Nydam still not eating a game at St Johnstone? Let’s see if PL calls back all these players next month...

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 01:13 - Dec 7 with 3366 viewsMelford

What I don't like is his justifiaction for selling Waghorn was that if we hadn't have been let go he would have just sulked in the reserves. Utter crap and a slur on Waghorn,

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Login to get fewer ads

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 05:10 - Dec 7 with 3307 viewsKieran_Knows

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 00:17 - Dec 7 by ITFCBlues

The same Nydam still not eating a game at St Johnstone? Let’s see if PL calls back all these players next month...

The same Nydam who played over 20 games last season at just the age of 17/18 and never really looked out of place in a Championship side?

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 05:52 - Dec 7 with 3290 viewsBenters2

I can honestly say i dont think i know anybody who thought stumpy's plan would work.

Hell,even a thicko racist numbskull like me could see it would be a struggle.
Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 08:35 - Dec 7 with 3223 viewsSteve_M

Well, quite. The glee with which some fans reacted to large incoming transfer fees was very odd at the time and it was clear that we were getting a lot of players without Championship experience.

The approach seemed to be to sell anyone we got a decent offer for and take the money, despite the fact that that has left us short in two key areas of the pitch, the lack of an experienced striker for half a season will probably end up relegating us.

Again, Evans disjointed half-arsed ownership is as much to blame as Hurst's appalling judgement.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 08:39 - Dec 7 with 3212 viewsBluebell

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 18:14 - Dec 6 by PJH

It did not make sense to some of us before the season started.
Based on what was happening before a ball was kicked in anger I am not surprised that it all went so horribly wrong for Hurst who was like a kid with an increase in pocket money and let loose by his parents in the sweet shop.
The trouble now is that we are all suffering for his incompetence and are living in hope that Paul Lambert can get us out of the Hurst induced mess that we are in.
I am very confident that results will come but we have got to hope that there will be enough of them to get us clear.
I did previously think that there was only one man that could save us but now I think that there might have been two.

^ This ^
Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 08:42 - Dec 7 with 3207 viewsDubtractor

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 23:40 - Dec 6 by Coastalblue

Bolton was the tipping point for me too.

I threw my toys out if the pram on here after the game.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 08:43 - Dec 7 with 3204 viewsPositivelyPortman

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 18:23 - Dec 6 by brogansnose

Trouble is that you only have to read any interview with Hurst to see that he's in total denial that he made any mistakes at all and throws it back on the club. The audacity and arrogance of Little Roy takes my breath away.

You don't have to be a football genius to see how all those changes were going to work out.

....and yet there were loads of folk on here keen for more inexperienced players being added in the form of Tilt and the centre back from Wimbledon.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 08:47 - Dec 7 with 3195 viewsPositivelyPortman

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 20:43 - Dec 6 by PJH

I think McG was going to be leaving whoever was in charge whether it was MM or anyone else but I am pretty convinced that Webster,Waghorn and Garner would have still been here had MM stayed-we will never know for sure of course.

Webster had gone before PH was even announced.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 08:49 - Dec 7 with 3192 viewswkj

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 08:43 - Dec 7 by PositivelyPortman

....and yet there were loads of folk on here keen for more inexperienced players being added in the form of Tilt and the centre back from Wimbledon.

Tiltmania was ridiculous, as was the clamouring for Kayden Jackson, a transfer that actually looked dead for a while, but people were ready to bring the pitch forks over it.

The whole transfer window was a shambles to be honest, and I would be willing to bet those caught up in the hype of it all were more excited to see something different during the off season - of course, we all regret that now.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 08:55 - Dec 7 with 3182 viewsKieran_Knows

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 08:47 - Dec 7 by PositivelyPortman

Really? Hurst was announced on the 1st June, Webster left on the 28th June?

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2018/june/defender-adam-webster-leaves-ipswich-town-

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 08:59 - Dec 7 with 3168 viewsPJH

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 08:47 - Dec 7 by PositivelyPortman

Not literally because Webster was still here after Hurst arrived-the transfer may have been in the pipeline but Hurst was here before Webster left.
Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 09:14 - Dec 7 with 3153 viewsHerbivore

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 08:43 - Dec 7 by PositivelyPortman

Chris, look, I know it must be hard for you to get over how spectacularly awful you and Paul were when stepping up a level. It's got to sting for you for sure, but believe me it's a hell of a lot worse for us. You've basically ruined a competent Championship squad and more or less doomed us to relegation. So please, show some decency and at least stop trolling our message board.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 09:15 - Dec 7 with 3146 viewsHerbivore

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 08:59 - Dec 7 by PJH

Not literally because Webster was still here after Hurst arrived-the transfer may have been in the pipeline but Hurst was here before Webster left.

To be fair he'd only been here a month when Webster was sold. Can't be held responsible for that one.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 09:31 - Dec 7 with 3120 viewsportmanking

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 09:14 - Dec 7 by Herbivore

Chris, look, I know it must be hard for you to get over how spectacularly awful you and Paul were when stepping up a level. It's got to sting for you for sure, but believe me it's a hell of a lot worse for us. You've basically ruined a competent Championship squad and more or less doomed us to relegation. So please, show some decency and at least stop trolling our message board.

In the interests of balance, you were just as blind in your faith/support of Hurst, Herbivore.
Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 09:34 - Dec 7 with 3110 viewsBiGDonnie

Is there anyone else still defending the summers business.,... on 18:46 - Dec 6 by wkj

The short truth is, Hurst played this like we all play Football Manager

Speak for yourself lad, I can win a game on that.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024