Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) 16:53 - Dec 29 with 8365 viewsitfcjoe

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 17:51 - Dec 29 with 3037 viewsRyorry

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 17:31 - Dec 29 by brogansnose

It was the following season too not only that post christmas transfer window. Evans seemed to think that MM could do it on a shoestring. If Mick thought he could then he was wrong too.

I'm just sad that football has come to this - I started watching us in the 70s because we were brilliant to watch and there was a fantastic atmosphere, which came from a shrewd understanding of football that led to very shrewd and capable running of the club. Our 2 Dutch signings and success in Europe weren't all down to how big the owners'/Board's wallets were.

Now, nearly every club's fortunes literally depend on that. How your club does depends on how deep your owner's pockets are. It's like the parting of the Red Sea - on the one side of the gulf b*****ds like Abramovitch, Glazers etc are tolerated because of the squillions they put in; on the other side relatively decent humans like ME are given short shrift because they only put in a few million. The money in pro football is a huge wedge dividing the haves from the have-nots, and it's sheer luck who your owners are, therefore on which side of the divide you are. But maybe that's just a microcosm of life.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 17:52 - Dec 29 with 3035 viewsm14_blue

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 17:50 - Dec 29 by brogansnose

I can Evans point after having his fingers burnt by the previous 3 but surely after getting into the playoffs , as an owner , you'd think that you would , 'hello, this bloke knows what he's doing, here's a bigger budget.' At best we stagnated after that.

Oh yes, I’m working on the theory that Mick was happy enough with his squad.

If Mick asked for reinforcements and wasn’t given the funding then that was idiotic. It was obvious even back then that it was likely to be our best/only chance for a long time.
Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 17:54 - Dec 29 with 3021 viewschicoazul

It's the final and greatest irony of the Banter Era that our two best Managers of the period - Mick and Lambert - will be the ones who never got any money to spend.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 18:03 - Dec 29 with 3004 viewsbrogansnose

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 17:51 - Dec 29 by Ryorry

I'm just sad that football has come to this - I started watching us in the 70s because we were brilliant to watch and there was a fantastic atmosphere, which came from a shrewd understanding of football that led to very shrewd and capable running of the club. Our 2 Dutch signings and success in Europe weren't all down to how big the owners'/Board's wallets were.

Now, nearly every club's fortunes literally depend on that. How your club does depends on how deep your owner's pockets are. It's like the parting of the Red Sea - on the one side of the gulf b*****ds like Abramovitch, Glazers etc are tolerated because of the squillions they put in; on the other side relatively decent humans like ME are given short shrift because they only put in a few million. The money in pro football is a huge wedge dividing the haves from the have-nots, and it's sheer luck who your owners are, therefore on which side of the divide you are. But maybe that's just a microcosm of life.

Agree with a lot of that R. I just wonder , and I hate to say this and I'm glad to be corrected but, it seems that Norwich have cut costs and bought in cheaper players - classified these days as technical players which really means they can pass the ball - from abroad with a clear ethos from a football director.

TBH, and i base this on a gut feeling, Evans needs to keep PL and let him to the much vaunted 5 part plan thingy.

But yeah, it is sad but also for loads of other clubs. See you at Bradford next season ?
Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 18:15 - Dec 29 with 2987 viewsRyorry

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 18:03 - Dec 29 by brogansnose

Agree with a lot of that R. I just wonder , and I hate to say this and I'm glad to be corrected but, it seems that Norwich have cut costs and bought in cheaper players - classified these days as technical players which really means they can pass the ball - from abroad with a clear ethos from a football director.

TBH, and i base this on a gut feeling, Evans needs to keep PL and let him to the much vaunted 5 part plan thingy.

But yeah, it is sad but also for loads of other clubs. See you at Bradford next season ?

Going back to Bradford (and I suppose a few other nice old haunts) would be the only relatively positive thing from us going down for me!

Interesting what you say about them up t'road, many have been saying on here for a long time that we need a DoF given ME's lack of footballing nous. Agree re keeping PL if we can, but has ME ever stuck to any part of that plan?

We have a great team of yoofs and that gives hope, but it's a question of how to bring them on - if we can keep them - something which is beyond my ken.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 18:15 - Dec 29 with 2984 viewsKeaneish

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 17:42 - Dec 29 by J4ck22

Seriously? This is progressive?

Looking at the past rather than the present or the future. That is what's not progressive.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 18:29 - Dec 29 with 2950 viewsstantheman

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 18:15 - Dec 29 by Keaneish

Looking at the past rather than the present or the future. That is what's not progressive.

We are progressive, unfortunately its in a downward direction.
RIP a once magnificent club.
Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 18:31 - Dec 29 with 2946 viewsbrogansnose

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 18:15 - Dec 29 by Ryorry

Going back to Bradford (and I suppose a few other nice old haunts) would be the only relatively positive thing from us going down for me!

Interesting what you say about them up t'road, many have been saying on here for a long time that we need a DoF given ME's lack of footballing nous. Agree re keeping PL if we can, but has ME ever stuck to any part of that plan?

We have a great team of yoofs and that gives hope, but it's a question of how to bring them on - if we can keep them - something which is beyond my ken.

If we go down then inevitably those that we would like to keep will be of interest to others and we will need to cut our wage bill. I'm an optimistic old salt and if we do go down and have to hope that we will press the re-start button with the young guns as the core.

Probably dreaming a bit much though.
Login to get fewer ads

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 18:45 - Dec 29 with 2927 viewsJ4ck22

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 18:15 - Dec 29 by Keaneish

Ah, see that's where I got confused because I was thinking of the league table which we have certainly not progressed in.

Demanding change because you're bored and assuming it will succeed isn't progressive either.
Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 18:50 - Dec 29 with 2912 viewsjudespiveyg

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 18:45 - Dec 29 by J4ck22

Ah, see that's where I got confused because I was thinking of the league table which we have certainly not progressed in.

Demanding change because you're bored and assuming it will succeed isn't progressive either.

Watching football is supposed to be entertainment. Now I'm not saying this season is much fun, but I would have been disappointed if we'd stuck to Mccarthy's sleep-inducing dross for another year.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 18:54 - Dec 29 with 2902 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 17:15 - Dec 29 by judespiveyg

Oh yeah because last seasons insult to the eyes (Mccarthy's football) was something to be grateful for.

Oh what I’d do for that insulting to the eyes football right now

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 18:54 - Dec 29 with 2902 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 17:12 - Dec 29 by Keaneish

Ugh. Thought you were better than that.

Google translated as......"yes I was wrong too."

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 18:55 - Dec 29 with 2897 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 17:54 - Dec 29 by chicoazul

It's the final and greatest irony of the Banter Era that our two best Managers of the period - Mick and Lambert - will be the ones who never got any money to spend.

I was about to ask what exactly Lambert has done to be considered the second best manager of the Evans era, when I considered who the alternatives are and realised you’re probably right

How f*cking depressing

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 19:19 - Dec 29 with 2877 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Oh how this whole concept was derided by some 12 months ago, and yet looks oh so prescient now...

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 19:39 - Dec 29 with 2848 viewsGrammarman

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 17:25 - Dec 29 by billlm

Your probably being sarcastic but if your not f off

You're
Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 21:05 - Dec 29 with 2805 viewsitfcjoe

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 19:19 - Dec 29 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Oh how this whole concept was derided by some 12 months ago, and yet looks oh so prescient now...

Mick was holding the squad back last year, with a better manager we'd have been playing better football and getting better results.

Amazingly some fans would rather be bottom of the league staring League 1 in the face than have a perfectly competent manager in place who plays pragmatic football - who was a good bloke if a little bit gruff at times.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 21:36 - Dec 29 with 2775 viewsTrequartista

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 18:55 - Dec 29 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I was about to ask what exactly Lambert has done to be considered the second best manager of the Evans era, when I considered who the alternatives are and realised you’re probably right

How f*cking depressing

You are right to ask. He *may* end up being in the top two when we can judge him at the end of the season, but he's done nothing so far. His points per game is lower than Hurst and some of the players that Hurst didn't buy e.g. Bart, Spence, Knudsen look no better under Lambert than they did under Hurst.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 21:51 - Dec 29 with 2749 viewsBluefish

OMG you awful troll. You are a disgrace!!!1!!1

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 21:55 - Dec 29 with 2739 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 17:24 - Dec 29 by brogansnose

Absolutely yes. You get a manager in who has actually got you to the playoffs then you support him.

Didn't happen.

Of course not Brogs. Because of the owner.

I miss the passion and desire of a mick team. I like lambert I really do. But I can’t helo but wonder what we would’ve done had we spent 3 million on a couple of top class players when we were flying high at Christmas that season mick had us 2nd with a 10k squad. TWTD.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 22:07 - Dec 29 with 2728 viewsHoppersblue10

This is a real help

Poll: Who do you want to win on Sunday?

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 11:13 - Dec 30 with 2617 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 21:36 - Dec 29 by Trequartista

You are right to ask. He *may* end up being in the top two when we can judge him at the end of the season, but he's done nothing so far. His points per game is lower than Hurst and some of the players that Hurst didn't buy e.g. Bart, Spence, Knudsen look no better under Lambert than they did under Hurst.

You’re preaching to the choir, but out of the managers Evans has appointed he’s still probably second on account of the fact he hasn’t yet actively destroyed the side, which goes to show how terrible most of them have been

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 11:25 - Dec 30 with 2601 viewsNo9

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 17:54 - Dec 29 by chicoazul

MM never got money to spend?
Didn't he sign 78 players during his time I.C. @ PR?
Maybe they weren't all expensive but their wages + welfare etc. wouldn't have been cheap.
That's a lot of signings to get progressively worse
Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 11:31 - Dec 30 with 2587 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 11:25 - Dec 30 by No9

MM never got money to spend?
Didn't he sign 78 players during his time I.C. @ PR?
Maybe they weren't all expensive but their wages + welfare etc. wouldn't have been cheap.
That's a lot of signings to get progressively worse

Of course their wages were cheap, because he was shopping in the absolute bargain bin

Under the circumstances the number of decent signings he made was incredible - and his hit rate in terms of actual ‘expensive’ signings (be it fees or higher-wage free agents) even more so, with probably only Douglas and Cameron Stewart being misses

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 13:13 - Dec 30 with 2523 viewsLankHenners

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 21:36 - Dec 29 by Trequartista

If he somehow steered us into the playoffs from here you'd still moan about how he should have got us into the top 2.

Just stating the ppg stat and listing some players in bad form proves absolutely nothing other than your inability to apply context and nuance to any debate.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 13:44 - Dec 30 with 2492 viewsTrequartista

Be Careful What You Wish For (n/t) on 13:13 - Dec 30 by LankHenners

If he somehow steered us into the playoffs from here you'd still moan about how he should have got us into the top 2.

Just stating the ppg stat and listing some players in bad form proves absolutely nothing other than your inability to apply context and nuance to any debate.

If necessary I can go back and find posts where i've said it would a greater feat than McCarthy [avoiding relegation in 2012/13] if Lambert were to avoid relegation, and you don't even need to go back further than yesterday to find where i've said "Don't get me wrong, it's [ppg stat] not a comparison that says who has done best because obviously Lambert hasn't had a window yet", so both assertions are without any foundation.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2018 13:44]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024