Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Positives of relegation... 17:41 - Jan 9 with 5071 viewsclive_baker

Anyone got any? We're going down, let's get used to that. What are the positives? So far all I can really think of is:

1) Cheaper tickets

2) New grounds / cities to get drunk in

3) More academy players - On that note, I would love it if, when the inevitable does happen, PL stays and really rebuilds this club. Sacks off all these bang average players and loanees and builds a team of young, home grown, hungry footballers popping the ball around and tearing up L1. Wright, Emmanuel, Chambers, Woolfy, Kenlock, Dozzell, Nydam, Downes, Bishop, Lankaster, Morris.

There you go PL, there's your starting XI, job done.

4) Might win some games

5) It'll be 2 fingers up to ME who will get what he deserves (not that I ever wanted this, obviously).

Any more for any more?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Positives of relegation... on 17:43 - Jan 9 with 4751 viewsfooters

We'll be financially fcked with a squad of players not even good enough for that level.

Oh, positives?

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Positives of relegation... on 17:44 - Jan 9 with 4744 viewsHerbivore

Fewer self-entitled day-trippers at the match.

Our 2018 signings get a chance to play at their level.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Positives of relegation... on 17:45 - Jan 9 with 4737 viewswkj

Anyone got any? The chances that we're going down are high, let's get used to that.

I fixed your post

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Positives of relegation... on 17:45 - Jan 9 with 4732 viewsMullet

1) Tickets won't be that much cheaper, clubs will scalp us def info

2) You don't wanna get drunk in Wallsall, Bradford or Accrington compared to Brum, Leeds and Sheffield

3) The good ones will be gone asap we'll suddenly finding ourselves being stripped of them by Stoke and the like

4) Hopefully, can't win many less post Mick can we?

5) Nose, face, cutty business springs to mind

Apart from that, it'll be tip top.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Positives of relegation... on 17:54 - Jan 9 with 4684 viewsRadlett_blue

Yes, turn the squad inside-out again, as long as we get get rid of the over-paid underperformers e.g. Bart & some of the dross.
We could rebuild around younger players as long as we don't sell the best prospects for a pittance & keep a few old, wise heads to guide them.
I hope Lambert stays & maybe we can gradually rebuild with a young side playing decent football.
A few new grounds to visit & some with terracing.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Positives of relegation... on 18:18 - Jan 9 with 4630 viewsclive_baker

Positives of relegation... on 17:45 - Jan 9 by Mullet

1) Tickets won't be that much cheaper, clubs will scalp us def info

2) You don't wanna get drunk in Wallsall, Bradford or Accrington compared to Brum, Leeds and Sheffield

3) The good ones will be gone asap we'll suddenly finding ourselves being stripped of them by Stoke and the like

4) Hopefully, can't win many less post Mick can we?

5) Nose, face, cutty business springs to mind

Apart from that, it'll be tip top.

I was thinking more along the lines of Charlton away (lovely away day), Southend (local and never been to Roots Hall), Bristol Rovers (great club, know a few people there. Number 1 club in Bristol. Fine city), Shrewsbury (never done, heard it's a nice town), Oxford potentially, Lincoln looking likely, maybe Colchester as a nice local one.

But I take your point, I'll swerve the dross.

I agree we'll struggle to keep the 'higher profile' players such as Dozzell, maybe Lankaster if he has a strong next few months and Bishop if he stays fit, but I wouldn't have thought there will be clubs queuing up for Nydam, Downes, Emmanuel, Kenlock, Morris, Woolfenden etc that have any more appeal than staying with us should have. In principle, it feels to me like it would be the most cost effective and appropriate way of rebuilding next season. What's the alternative, cast them all off and sign a string of Dawkins types? Nah you're alright thanks.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2019 22:46]

Positives of relegation... on 18:20 - Jan 9 with 4617 viewsITFC_Forever

None.

Anyone who thinks otherwise has seriously lowered their ambitions.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Positives of relegation... on 18:23 - Jan 9 with 4600 viewsRadlett_blue

Positives of relegation... on 18:18 - Jan 9 by clive_baker

I was thinking more along the lines of Charlton away (lovely away day), Southend (local and never been to Roots Hall), Bristol Rovers (great club, know a few people there. Number 1 club in Bristol. Fine city), Shrewsbury (never done, heard it's a nice town), Oxford potentially, Lincoln looking likely, maybe Colchester as a nice local one.

I agree we'll struggle to keep the 'higher profile' players such as Dozzell, maybe Lankaster if he has a strong next few months and Bishop if he stays fit, but I wouldn't have thought there will be clubs queuing up for Nydam, Downes, Emmanuel, Kenlock, Morris, Woolfenden etc that have any more appeal than staying with us should have. In principle, it feels to me like it would be the most cost effective and appropriate way of rebuilding next season. What's the alternative, cast them all off and sign a string of Dawkins types? Nah you're alright thanks.

Oxford United unfortunately now play in an awful, modern 3 sided ground near a by-pass. It makes the Madejski Stadium look attractive.
Roots Hall isn't a great stadium but at least it's near the town centre.

Login to get fewer ads

Positives of relegation... on 18:31 - Jan 9 with 4580 viewsolimar

Aside from the fact you can go via the city centre, whats so special about Charlton?
Compared to Millwall, which is hardly up there in the away day experiences, it takes longer to get to, has less even less youd want to do when you get there (which is saying something), will be far emptier and with a far poorer atmosphere and the stand we get is a total dump with dreadful sight lines.
We always bring a fair amount, which perhaps accounts for the warmth towards it, particularly with reminiscences about Noel Hunts goal (or going further back, when we ruined their promotion party), but weve had a fair few shockers there too.
Positives of relegation... on 18:35 - Jan 9 with 4541 viewscvillageblue

No international break.

We may actually win a game on SKY.

Blog: Was It Worth It?

Positives of relegation... on 18:36 - Jan 9 with 4530 viewsBurwell_Blue

Lower player salaries
Positives of relegation... on 18:43 - Jan 9 with 4512 viewsRadlett_blue

Positives of relegation... on 18:31 - Jan 9 by olimar

Aside from the fact you can go via the city centre, whats so special about Charlton?
Compared to Millwall, which is hardly up there in the away day experiences, it takes longer to get to, has less even less youd want to do when you get there (which is saying something), will be far emptier and with a far poorer atmosphere and the stand we get is a total dump with dreadful sight lines.
We always bring a fair amount, which perhaps accounts for the warmth towards it, particularly with reminiscences about Noel Hunts goal (or going further back, when we ruined their promotion party), but weve had a fair few shockers there too.

I've always liked trips to Charlton. OK - my dad was from round there and was one of Charlton's record attendance (75,031 v Aston Villa in the FA Cup 5th round in 1938, if you're interested) so standing on the old East Terrace when we played there in the Cup meant a little more to me.
I think the atmosphere among the Town fans, with us all in one stand, has generally been good.
There are some pubs in the area, but drinking somewhere near London Bridge/Cannon Street isn't exactly a chore.
And they play "Into the Valley" by The Skids before the game.

Positives of relegation... on 18:43 - Jan 9 with 4508 viewsfatronaldo

We've been going downwards for a long long time. Either League 1 or safety first Mick Mack playing style was always inevitable with the way ME runs this club at the moment. The second is definetly not for me at least.

Hopefully the drop will make us do what we have been great (better than many others) at doing historically, develop good youth players that will strengthen our identity once again. And ofcourse play exciting football, just look at Lancaster and Downes, this is exactly what we need. Young players brought up through our academy that are proud to wear the town shirt.

If Lambert stays (probably not) we finally have a manager that knows whats needed and how to achieve those goals with everone at the club pulling i the same direction.

It will take time but I am sure we can be great again!
Positives of relegation... on 18:43 - Jan 9 with 4504 viewsMullet

Charlton? Lovely day out? I thought I was a sarcy little Sally today!

It's all right, but I have legs and that away end is mega cramped if the stewards decide to be a la Forest.

Shrewsbury's little bowl is like Rotherham's but again like most of these stadiums a way out of the town so there's pros and cons.

I can't imagine any youngster with potential or much about them will hang around. If we can't keep the 16 year olds from going to the big boy factory farms, then I can't imagine we'll get full seasons or more out of the ones worth the admission fee.

If you look at Accrington it'll mean signing blokes that look like they have won a competition, blokes that wasted their talent, Scottish people who would only get to the Old Firm by buying a ticket and the odd punt. We'll be somewhere above that for a couple of years, but there's no way Evans funds us to Blunts/Forest/Leeds levels to be like Villa et al. are now in the Championship.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Positives of relegation... on 18:44 - Jan 9 with 4504 viewsolimar

On Point 3- isnt that exactly what got us into this mess in the first place?
We have learnt the hard way that you cant just throw a load of inexperienced players together and expect them to cope. There is going to need to be a fair amount of experienced players around them.
Also, youre assuming that those young players are going to be more than "bang average players" at L1 level.
The good players are going to need some persuading to stay- partly because they will get offers, but also because you have to wonder- how would a player like Downes react to being sent out on loan in League One for the rest of this season? Or Lankester? Or Dozzell? They are surely going to see it as a step back, given their progress in the Championship so far. So how will they feel if they have a whole season of it to look forward to, or potentially more, at Ipswich? They can hang around and put in strong performances in L1, but its hard to see how that improves their standing when they are currently suggesting that they might be able to cut it at a level above.
So, youre left with Nydam, Kenlock, Emmanuel, Morris and maybe Woolfenden, all players who have shown promise, but for which it wouldnt be a huge surprise if League One turned out to be their level.
Positives of relegation... on 18:46 - Jan 9 with 4482 viewsolimar

Positives of relegation... on 18:43 - Jan 9 by Radlett_blue

I've always liked trips to Charlton. OK - my dad was from round there and was one of Charlton's record attendance (75,031 v Aston Villa in the FA Cup 5th round in 1938, if you're interested) so standing on the old East Terrace when we played there in the Cup meant a little more to me.
I think the atmosphere among the Town fans, with us all in one stand, has generally been good.
There are some pubs in the area, but drinking somewhere near London Bridge/Cannon Street isn't exactly a chore.
And they play "Into the Valley" by The Skids before the game.

The personal interest aside though, there isnt much left (that record attendance is phenomenal, its amazing to see how big it used to be as a ground).
As I said, going through the city (and thus London Bridge area) is what redeems it.
Positives of relegation... on 18:49 - Jan 9 with 4468 viewsbadadski

New set of teams to be playing against, not as much money in the lower echelons meaning more competitive games against one another.

Hopefully not being outclassed and embarrased by the other teams who have spent the money Evans is not willing too.

chepaer tickets

less people attending meaning less queue for pint and pie at half time.

less people meaning don't have to queue for toilet

We will probably win a cup game as we will be the underdog for once

we can joke with Colu that we are rubbish as them
Positives of relegation... on 19:06 - Jan 9 with 4418 viewsgt81

A fierce rivalry with our mighty neighbours Southend.

Edit: just seen they might be wound up.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2019 19:08]
Positives of relegation... on 20:37 - Jan 9 with 4302 viewsolimar

Positives of relegation... on 18:43 - Jan 9 by Mullet

Charlton? Lovely day out? I thought I was a sarcy little Sally today!

It's all right, but I have legs and that away end is mega cramped if the stewards decide to be a la Forest.

Shrewsbury's little bowl is like Rotherham's but again like most of these stadiums a way out of the town so there's pros and cons.

I can't imagine any youngster with potential or much about them will hang around. If we can't keep the 16 year olds from going to the big boy factory farms, then I can't imagine we'll get full seasons or more out of the ones worth the admission fee.

If you look at Accrington it'll mean signing blokes that look like they have won a competition, blokes that wasted their talent, Scottish people who would only get to the Old Firm by buying a ticket and the odd punt. We'll be somewhere above that for a couple of years, but there's no way Evans funds us to Blunts/Forest/Leeds levels to be like Villa et al. are now in the Championship.

Totally agree on the kids. The good ones will be gone and we will be left with the ones that might turn out to be decent enough in L1 or arent up to it.
Besides, they are all at more or less the same age range so we can hardly throw them all in at the same time...
Positives of relegation... on 22:46 - Jan 9 with 4201 viewsclive_baker

Positives of relegation... on 18:31 - Jan 9 by olimar

I live in SE London, the Valley is about 6 miles from my place. I was gutted when they dropped to L1.

Positives of relegation... on 22:57 - Jan 9 with 4167 viewsFreddy

New grounds, can't think of any others
Positives of relegation... on 23:03 - Jan 9 with 4152 viewsNthsuffolkblue

We might get to finally beat Norwich, albeit their U21 side in a Mickey Mouse Cup.

Actually, more likely we will have been knocked out by a League 2 side before they even enter the competition (assuming that's possible).

Really hope we somehow get that monkey off our back when we play them at their place.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Positives of relegation... on 23:29 - Jan 9 with 4105 viewstractorboy1978

Positives of relegation... on 18:44 - Jan 9 by olimar

On Point 3- isnt that exactly what got us into this mess in the first place?
We have learnt the hard way that you cant just throw a load of inexperienced players together and expect them to cope. There is going to need to be a fair amount of experienced players around them.
Also, youre assuming that those young players are going to be more than "bang average players" at L1 level.
The good players are going to need some persuading to stay- partly because they will get offers, but also because you have to wonder- how would a player like Downes react to being sent out on loan in League One for the rest of this season? Or Lankester? Or Dozzell? They are surely going to see it as a step back, given their progress in the Championship so far. So how will they feel if they have a whole season of it to look forward to, or potentially more, at Ipswich? They can hang around and put in strong performances in L1, but its hard to see how that improves their standing when they are currently suggesting that they might be able to cut it at a level above.
So, youre left with Nydam, Kenlock, Emmanuel, Morris and maybe Woolfenden, all players who have shown promise, but for which it wouldnt be a huge surprise if League One turned out to be their level.

I think you are being rather pessimistic. None of them have ripped it up this season. Downes has been solid, nothing more or less, Dozzell has barely started a game, Lankester has literally broken through in the past couple of months and has largely played from the bench. He's been exciting in flashes but looks very raw.

Dozzell is most likely of the three to attract interest but ironically the one that has been least involved. I can't see either of the other two having clubs queuing up unless we were willing to accept an absolute pittance.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2019 23:31]
Positives of relegation... on 00:09 - Jan 10 with 4068 viewsArthur_1975

No international breaks, so league football every week

The checkatrade trophy, a genuine shot at getting to Wembley
Positives of relegation... on 06:35 - Jan 10 with 3983 viewsOxford_Blue

You’re making the huge assumption we are not in freefall and won’t struggle in L1. Our performance against Stanley was concerning.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024