Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2nd team in Premier League 16:11 - Apr 4 with 4767 viewsitfcjoe

Is it common now for kids to have a 2nd team in the PL now? It seems that even kids of dedicated ITFC fans seem to have a big team that they like as well now.

Thanks, concerned Dad of 2 boys.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

2nd team in Premier League on 16:15 - Apr 4 with 2860 viewsJ2BLUE

Seems so. You have to stamp it out though.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

2nd team in Premier League on 16:18 - Apr 4 with 2840 viewsIllinoisblue

2 of the kids on my U9 team are Spurs fans. it's nice they're interested in teams that never win anything and aren't just glory hunters.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

2nd team in Premier League on 16:19 - Apr 4 with 2837 viewsReusersTown

Doesn't even seem like it's limited to kids these days!, Sad times.
2nd team in Premier League on 16:19 - Apr 4 with 2831 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Don't let it happen Joe.

My Dad never let me and although ITFC frustrates me, support the local.

Having a team you like is different but if it is support then no chance.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

2nd team in Premier League on 16:27 - Apr 4 with 2814 viewsjudespiveyg

Well I don't, although the fact is that most people I know my age support a PL team anyway rather than Ipswich.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

2nd team in Premier League on 16:27 - Apr 4 with 2814 viewsitfcjoe

2nd team in Premier League on 16:19 - Apr 4 by TRUE_BLUE123

Don't let it happen Joe.

My Dad never let me and although ITFC frustrates me, support the local.

Having a team you like is different but if it is support then no chance.

I was never really pushed into being a town fan, I just became one and went with my Uncle more than my Dad.

I have pushed my boys (who are 2 and 5 months) more than i ever was, they both went to the last game, they both have had every kit from birth and various other bits and my eldest loves it.

I hope I stay the right line of pushing it too hard - but if we stay in League 1 for a few years and they become as obsessed with football and consuming it as I was it's inevitable they'll love the PL and Champions League.

I always used to like Man Utd in the Fergie days and wanted them to win in Europe and if we weren't playing them - but got a MU shirt when i was about 10 and then only wore it about twice as it just felt wrong - hopefully that will be the same with my 2.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

2nd team in Premier League on 17:31 - Apr 4 with 2727 viewsPecker

Only if it is Fulham.
2nd team in Premier League on 17:37 - Apr 4 with 2711 viewsDarth_Koont

Peer pressure, innit?

At that age, when all your friends are talking about their team in the Premiership, Champions League, cup competitions, international players etc. then your Championship/League One club is as relevant as a netball team.

Probably something to encourage rather than risk them resenting Ipswich and letting it go completely.

Edit: Ahhh, I see your boys are a lot younger than the 9 or 10 I was thinking about ... not sure it's really much of a problem but maybe you can steer them in the direction of another team in blue. Like Everton who won't win anything and won't be much competition!
[Post edited 4 Apr 2019 17:42]

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

2nd team in Premier League on 17:46 - Apr 4 with 2702 viewsChiefXL

It's normal and I wouldn't say it is unique to the younger generation, certainly when I was growing up we all had a team that wasn't Ipswich but as we grew older we saw sense.

I would recommend not pushing too hard in case they push back just for the hell of it. Certainly my son was annoyed that he 'had' to support Ipswich whilst his friends supported Spurs, United etc. It got to the stage where he just wanted to go see a 'top team' just for the experience. Luckily my brother in law is German and a huge Werder Bremen fan so we took him to a home game over there (works out cheaper than most Prem sides even when flights are taken into consideration) and now his 'top team' is Werder. Win win.
2nd team in Premier League on 17:59 - Apr 4 with 2660 viewsFtnfwest

I come from a time before the premier league when the ‘top’ teams in it now were our main rivals then apart from spurs, Chelsea and Mac city who were all rubbish when the financial playing field was more even.
Ftnfwest Jnr isn’t that bothered about the ‘winning’ side of things thankfully! He’s just there for the occasion or day out following his team
2nd team in Premier League on 18:02 - Apr 4 with 2648 viewsPecker

We use to be lower league supporters top flight club.
2nd team in Premier League on 18:03 - Apr 4 with 2648 viewsFtnfwest

2nd team in Premier League on 16:27 - Apr 4 by judespiveyg

Well I don't, although the fact is that most people I know my age support a PL team anyway rather than Ipswich.

A lot more women and 2nd/3rd generation immigrants follow footy than 30 or 40 years ago and just naturally gravitate in proportionately larger numbers to the top of the prem
2nd team in Premier League on 18:06 - Apr 4 with 2637 viewsfooters

Children are absolute melts.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

2nd team in Premier League on 18:14 - Apr 4 with 2612 viewsReuser_is_God

Any child that has a “second team” needs to report their parents.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

2nd team in Premier League on 18:37 - Apr 4 with 2559 viewsfactual_blue

2nd team in Premier League on 18:06 - Apr 4 by footers

Children are absolute melts.

I blame their parents.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

2nd team in Premier League on 18:40 - Apr 4 with 2554 viewsgiant_stow

Young kids just flow with what ever influences they're getting almost by the day.

My little one has 5 teams in order:

Arsenal
Orient
West Ham
Norwich
Walthamstow FC

But that order changes all the time (below Arsenal at least) depending on which mates he's been chatting to on a given day. Thankfully, he knows to blank out spurs, although his besty is spurs scum, so slightly worrying.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

2nd team in Premier League on 18:47 - Apr 4 with 2538 viewshoppy

I can't really answer. I couldn't have a PL team myself, as I know next to nothing about it - it's so long since I've paid any attention to it, I only know a handful of the players for anyone.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

2nd team in Premier League on 18:48 - Apr 4 with 2536 viewsfactual_blue

2nd team in Premier League on 18:40 - Apr 4 by giant_stow

Young kids just flow with what ever influences they're getting almost by the day.

My little one has 5 teams in order:

Arsenal
Orient
West Ham
Norwich
Walthamstow FC

But that order changes all the time (below Arsenal at least) depending on which mates he's been chatting to on a given day. Thankfully, he knows to blank out spurs, although his besty is spurs scum, so slightly worrying.

Walthamstow FC have never had to seek re-election to the Football League, so deserve a higher place in his affections.

2nd team in Premier League on 18:50 - Apr 4 with 2524 viewsSuperblue95

I wouldn’t call them my “second team” and I wouldn’t ever wear any of their merchandise etc but I’ve always had a soft spot for Man United and would cheer them on against any of the other ‘big six’ or in Europe due to plenty of influence from my mothers side of the family.

I don’t think it’s uncommon to have a soft spot for one of the big boys over the others

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

2nd team in Premier League on 18:51 - Apr 4 with 2519 viewsgiant_stow

2nd team in Premier League on 18:48 - Apr 4 by factual_blue

Walthamstow FC have never had to seek re-election to the Football League, so deserve a higher place in his affections.

meany. If/when we go to Walthamstow again, they'll probably jump up the list. They made an impression cos it was a night game (mine seems to love those) and they won 5-0.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

2nd team in Premier League on 18:52 - Apr 4 with 2511 viewschicoazul

I think the thing with this is, this is not something we have generally had to worry about too much as it's never been particularly embarrassing to say one is an Ipswich fan in the playground or pub or whatever. But the kids who support Orient, Colchester, Southend etc generally do have a Premier League team they support too because frankly, supporting those clubs is pretty dull and slightly embarrassing to admit. This is something we will see more of over the next few years as we continue to lay dormant.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

2nd team in Premier League on 18:55 - Apr 4 with 2493 viewsfactual_blue

2nd team in Premier League on 18:51 - Apr 4 by giant_stow

meany. If/when we go to Walthamstow again, they'll probably jump up the list. They made an impression cos it was a night game (mine seems to love those) and they won 5-0.

They used to known as Pennant FC, apparently. Presumably they were founded by Jermaine Pennant.

2nd team in Premier League on 18:57 - Apr 4 with 2487 viewsgiant_stow

2nd team in Premier League on 18:55 - Apr 4 by factual_blue

They used to known as Pennant FC, apparently. Presumably they were founded by Jermaine Pennant.

That's odd - wonder why. I know they had a little re-brand a year or so back away from waltham forest fc. They have a good striker - maybe you lot should sign him.

2nd team in Premier League on 19:03 - Apr 4 with 2466 viewsfooters

2nd team in Premier League on 18:57 - Apr 4 by giant_stow

That's odd - wonder why. I know they had a little re-brand a year or so back away from waltham forest fc. They have a good striker - maybe you lot should sign him.

Maybe you should go back to WOTB, where you belong.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

2nd team in Premier League on 19:11 - Apr 4 with 2440 viewsgiant_stow

2nd team in Premier League on 19:03 - Apr 4 by footers

Maybe you should go back to WOTB, where you belong.

oh touchy!! That was a very gentle gibe, but I'm sorry it tweaked your ninny.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024