Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live 10:37 - May 9 with 61646 viewsitfcjoe

These things are just mad, he's made a mistake, deleted the offending tweet as soon as pointed out to him and offered a full apology instantly and explained he wasn't aware.

I'd hate to be in the public eye in anyway, must be torturous

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:35 - May 11 with 3609 viewsRyorry

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 16:10 - May 10 by itfcjoe

This from Sugar was far worse, not that I'm calling on him to be sacked either - but Baker was sacked within 12 hours of his tweet which makes out the crime was so bad there literally had no other option

I don't think Sugar is directly employed by the Beeb? tho it'll be interesting to see if they ask him to do another Apprentice series!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:39 - May 11 with 3600 viewsRyorry

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 23:12 - May 10 by caught-in-limbo

I agree entirely with your post.

Unless I'm with my mum, it's not at all evident that I am mixed race. This is probably true of Meghan too. So she, like me, has most likely faced several ambiguous cases of racism. When it is uncertain, I've always found it best to give people the benefit of the doubt and let it go. Why? Because fighting hatred and prejudice is the goal, not getting bogged down in totally subjective arguments about what may or may not be racist - this only serves to deflect and dilute the real issue.

In sacking DB, thé BBC are effectively saying the tweet was racist and drawing a line about what is and what isn't culturally acceptable. Firstly, I don't want the BBC (or any broadcaster) to have that sort of power. And secondly, based on the countless overtly racist "comedies" shown on our TVs in the 70s and 80s, it's a bit rich that they are taking such a principled position here.

I think that this is more a case of "fascism will come in the name of anti-fascism".

Whilst I sympathise with most of your post, I don't think you can really cite sitcoms made in the 70s & 80s as evidence re something happening in 2019.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:44 - May 11 with 3592 viewsfooters

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 10:12 - May 11 by Lord_Lucan

That's a really good post, I don't know how I missed it as I've only seen is since CIL has replied to it, which was also a good post.

I see that the police are investigating it now which is barmy, they can't investigate a burglary but they have time to investigate this.

I remain totally confused as to why Baker was so stupid but a racist he isn't, I think we can all agree on this. Worryingly though is that the thing has blown up so massive that people who don't know anything about Danny Baker are now commenting on it and all he will be known to them is that racist guy. Also I would imagine this hasn't gone down too well in The States, a place where Baker wants to retire. Originally I had a little hunch that he pulled the stunt for publicity and would fly off to Florida where he would now be instantly recognised. I'm not sure if I still hold that view but if he did it has backfired incredibly.

As he's such a talented broadcaster I'm sure he'll be back on the wog box any time now.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:03 - May 11 with 3565 viewsSuperblue95

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:35 - May 11 by Ryorry

I don't think Sugar is directly employed by the Beeb? tho it'll be interesting to see if they ask him to do another Apprentice series!

That tweet was nearly a year ago. There has been a series since then

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:08 - May 11 with 3561 viewsLord_Lucan

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:44 - May 11 by footers

As he's such a talented broadcaster I'm sure he'll be back on the wog box any time now.

He could probably walk into TalkSPORT or LBC tomorrow.

The BBC have acted terribly on this.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:10 - May 11 with 3556 viewsfooters

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:08 - May 11 by Lord_Lucan

He could probably walk into TalkSPORT or LBC tomorrow.

The BBC have acted terribly on this.

Murdoch now owns Virgin radio. They will be keen to sign up some big names.

See also the Sun's change in editorial stance regarding Chris Evans since this has happened.

Weird world, man.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:21 - May 11 with 3540 viewscaught-in-limbo

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:39 - May 11 by Ryorry

Whilst I sympathise with most of your post, I don't think you can really cite sitcoms made in the 70s & 80s as evidence re something happening in 2019.

That's an interesting point and throws up questions like:

Was it ok to be racist 40 years ago? or
Has what constitutes racism changed over the last 40 years? or
We're we inherently racist as a nation 40 years ago? and
Who decides what is racist and what isn't?

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:41 - May 11 with 3508 viewsLord_Lucan

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:21 - May 11 by caught-in-limbo

Whilst you wouldn't get away with Till Death Us Do Part now it was obviously showing up Alf to be an idiot, same could be said of Love Thy Neighbour - although that really was close to the edge even back then.

Much is said about racism in UK and yes it obviously exists and it always will no an extent but actually UK is one of the least racist nations in the entire world, your current country is much more racist than UK and Spain is even quite moderate compared to Eastern European nations, Russia and The Far East

Edit; One of the saddest things is that people are so busy being outraged that no one at all has mentioned how Meghan and Harry must be feeling.
[Post edited 11 May 2019 12:43]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Login to get fewer ads

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:48 - May 11 with 3497 viewsRyorry

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:21 - May 11 by caught-in-limbo

Sticking to what you said in your original post, I don't think you can cite sitcoms of the 70s and 80s as evidence of the BBC's attitude re racism in general when comparing an individual presenter's one-off tweet that he's since fully explained & apologised for, no.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:50 - May 11 with 3488 viewsRyorry

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:03 - May 11 by Superblue95

That tweet was nearly a year ago. There has been a series since then

Was it already in the can though? They make them a long time ahead of the actual broadcasts.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:51 - May 11 with 3481 viewsfooters

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:50 - May 11 by Ryorry

Was it already in the can though? They make them a long time ahead of the actual broadcasts.

Indeed. And the BBC doesn't really 'employ' actual slebs. Most are contractors and 'all such contracts are under constant review'.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 13:06 - May 11 with 3447 viewsfooters

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:41 - May 11 by Lord_Lucan

Whilst you wouldn't get away with Till Death Us Do Part now it was obviously showing up Alf to be an idiot, same could be said of Love Thy Neighbour - although that really was close to the edge even back then.

Much is said about racism in UK and yes it obviously exists and it always will no an extent but actually UK is one of the least racist nations in the entire world, your current country is much more racist than UK and Spain is even quite moderate compared to Eastern European nations, Russia and The Far East

Edit; One of the saddest things is that people are so busy being outraged that no one at all has mentioned how Meghan and Harry must be feeling.

Harry's baby didn't get any coverage whatsoever...

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:24 - May 11 with 3401 viewsLord_Lucan

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 13:06 - May 11 by footers

Harry's baby didn't get any coverage whatsoever...

Are you on drugs Footers?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:35 - May 11 with 3385 viewsSuperblue95

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:24 - May 11 by Lord_Lucan

He’s been hanging around Pecker and taken some of his special medication

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:40 - May 11 with 3380 viewscaught-in-limbo

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 05:51 - May 11 by m14_blue

But surely this is about the BBC as an employer, not a broadcaster? Every company in the world is dealing with similar issues around social media and it’s very difficult to decide what constitutes misconduct in that field.

I work for a high profile organisation and have no doubt that I would face disciplinary action, and potentially dismissal, if I had posted what DB did, his tweet obviously brought the company into disrepute.

Now I’m not necessarily saying the decision to sack him was right, particularly in light of his most recent apology, but to call it fascist is melodramatic in the extreme and I suspect says more about your views if the BBC in general than this case in particular.

In Britain we have a very simplistic view of fascism which usually involves humourless, uniformed people shouting "halt" a lot.

Of course it's more nuanced than that. When you see:

curtailment of freedom of expression,
identification of enemies/scapegoats as a unifying cause
distain for human rights
obsession with security
militarised police
controlled mass media
protected corporate power
suppression of labour rights
an obsession with punishable actions
corruption
disrespect for the results of elections

you're on your way to having a fascist state (or union of states).

Today's fascism doesn't do goose-stepping in long black leather boots. If that's what you expect it to look like, you'll be consumed by it before you realise.

There's a reason why our media gives so much airtime to Farage and Yaxley-Lennon. They are tools of the state because "fascism will come in the name of anti-fascism".

#toxic

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:47 - May 11 with 3366 viewscaught-in-limbo

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:48 - May 11 by Ryorry

Sticking to what you said in your original post, I don't think you can cite sitcoms of the 70s and 80s as evidence of the BBC's attitude re racism in general when comparing an individual presenter's one-off tweet that he's since fully explained & apologised for, no.

You avoided any attempt at answering my questions which are the underlying reasons for my initial post. If you can answer them, perhaps you'd have a better case for dismissing my comment about racist comedies and give your sore forehead a much needed rest.

#toxic

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:48 - May 11 with 3365 viewsRyorry

Re your edit - p9, 19th post down, 18.57
[Post edited 11 May 2019 14:51]

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:54 - May 11 with 3354 viewsRyorry

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:47 - May 11 by caught-in-limbo

You avoided any attempt at answering my questions which are the underlying reasons for my initial post. If you can answer them, perhaps you'd have a better case for dismissing my comment about racist comedies and give your sore forehead a much needed rest.

I replied perfectly reasonably to what you said in your op & don't have time to go into one of your massive detours which would take up hours/days of my time thanks very much!

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:56 - May 11 with 3351 viewscaught-in-limbo

The last 5 years have seen an enormous influx of refugees to where I currently live but because Basques themselves have had a great history of being suppressed and migrant themselves, they have shown themselves to be the most tolerant and integration-friendly people you could hope to meet.

I've spent nearly 20 years living here. What do you know about Euskadi?

#toxic

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:57 - May 11 with 3350 viewseireblue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:40 - May 11 by caught-in-limbo

In Britain we have a very simplistic view of fascism which usually involves humourless, uniformed people shouting "halt" a lot.

distain for human rights
obsession with security
militarised police
controlled mass media
corruption

Today's fascism doesn't do goose-stepping in long black leather boots. If that's what you expect it to look like, you'll be consumed by it before you realise.

There's a reason why our media gives so much airtime to Farage and Yaxley-Lennon. They are tools of the state because "fascism will come in the name of anti-fascism".

That’s just what the fascists want you to think.
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:02 - May 11 with 3342 viewscaught-in-limbo

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:54 - May 11 by Ryorry

I replied perfectly reasonably to what you said in your op & don't have time to go into one of your massive detours which would take up hours/days of my time thanks very much!

You haven't replied reasonably because you have failed to address the points on which my comment is based. The only detour on display is you not wanting to qualify your dismissal of my comment with any substance.

#toxic

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:05 - May 11 with 3338 viewsLord_Lucan

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:56 - May 11 by caught-in-limbo

The last 5 years have seen an enormous influx of refugees to where I currently live but because Basques themselves have had a great history of being suppressed and migrant themselves, they have shown themselves to be the most tolerant and integration-friendly people you could hope to meet.

I've spent nearly 20 years living here. What do you know about Euskadi?

Not a lot but I was talking about Spain in general.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:11 - May 11 with 3320 viewsRyorry

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:02 - May 11 by caught-in-limbo

You haven't replied reasonably because you have failed to address the points on which my comment is based. The only detour on display is you not wanting to qualify your dismissal of my comment with any substance.

Feel free to do it for me, I don't have 2 days spare & refused to be dragged into one of your famous arguments.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 17:01 - May 11 with 3243 viewsfooters

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:24 - May 11 by Lord_Lucan

We both know the answer to that.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 17:11 - May 11 with 3238 viewsm14_blue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:40 - May 11 by caught-in-limbo

distain for human rights
obsession with security
militarised police
controlled mass media
corruption

I think by that definition the UK must be one of the least fascist countries in the world so guess we’re doing ok.

I do understand what you mean but I don’t think an employer choosing to sack an employee who made a stupid, very public, mistake, is any of those things. As I said before, I’d probably be sacked for posting that on social media, and that doesn’t make my boss a fascist.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024