Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live 10:37 - May 9 with 62001 viewsitfcjoe

These things are just mad, he's made a mistake, deleted the offending tweet as soon as pointed out to him and offered a full apology instantly and explained he wasn't aware.

I'd hate to be in the public eye in anyway, must be torturous

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 21:52 - May 9 with 4226 viewsJakeITFC

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 21:42 - May 9 by J2BLUE

I disagree. It needs intent to be racist IMO.

Did you ever use eeny, meeny, miny, moe in the playground to decide who is it? When I was a kid it was catch a tiger by its toe. Tiger was all I ever knew. I was surprised years later on here to learn there was another version of that. People cannot be expected to know everything and I don't think you can inject racism into something where no racism was intended. If it happened to you i'm sure you would be the first swearing you are not racist.

Can you really say there is no chance he saw the baby and posted that image without thinking back two generations to Meghan's mum? If so you have to admit it could be a simple mistake. I don't think it helps anyone to pretend this is a racist incident.
[Post edited 9 May 2019 21:43]

If you do or say something that is racist, I really don’t think the emphasis is on everybody else to be forgiving of your ignorance.

As per some of the examples in this thread, acceptable words and attitudes change over time and sometimes people can say racist stuff out of an entirely unknowing position - but that doesn’t mean that it isn’t racist and potentially offensive to someone.

I find your last paragraph a bit crass and it doesn’t really help your argument.
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 21:53 - May 9 with 4223 viewsfooters

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 21:46 - May 9 by sparks

The idea that anyone who is not black cannot understand racism is very obviously fallacious. As is the idea that a black person identifying something racist is more valid than someone else doing so.

It may be so. And certainly there is an element of insight, on average, which factors into the equation. But...

You've conveniently changed my argument from 'you've never experienced it' to 'you're not black'. So you have created your own fallacy.

'It may be so' - d'ya reckon?

But... what?

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 21:54 - May 9 with 4213 viewsJ2BLUE

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 21:51 - May 9 by footers

There is no fact to be had, J2.

It's a subjective and relative question.

I was replying to Jake who literally stated 'it was racist'.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 21:56 - May 9 with 4203 viewssparks

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 21:53 - May 9 by footers

You've conveniently changed my argument from 'you've never experienced it' to 'you're not black'. So you have created your own fallacy.

'It may be so' - d'ya reckon?

But... what?

No. I didn't.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 21:56 - May 9 with 4200 viewsJ2BLUE

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 21:52 - May 9 by JakeITFC

If you do or say something that is racist, I really don’t think the emphasis is on everybody else to be forgiving of your ignorance.

As per some of the examples in this thread, acceptable words and attitudes change over time and sometimes people can say racist stuff out of an entirely unknowing position - but that doesn’t mean that it isn’t racist and potentially offensive to someone.

I find your last paragraph a bit crass and it doesn’t really help your argument.

My last paragraph is an entirely fair point when multiple posters have pointed out that her mum being black was a big talking point before the wedding.

Truly impaired.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 22:00 - May 9 with 4172 viewsfooters

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 21:54 - May 9 by J2BLUE

I was replying to Jake who literally stated 'it was racist'.

Why were you replying to Jake by replying to my post?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 22:00 - May 9 with 4169 viewsfooters

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 21:56 - May 9 by sparks

No. I didn't.

OK.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 22:06 - May 9 with 4139 viewsJakeITFC

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 21:56 - May 9 by J2BLUE

My last paragraph is an entirely fair point when multiple posters have pointed out that her mum being black was a big talking point before the wedding.

Your argument is basically that the baby doesn’t look black so it’s fine to be racist.
Login to get fewer ads

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 22:07 - May 9 with 4136 viewspeterleeblue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:15 - May 9 by chicoazul

Farage doesnt work for the BBC. He is one of the most popular politicians in the country and the BBC is bound by its' charter to represent that on programmes about current affairs/debate such as QT.

Farage "popular politician"
POTD!!!

I hate him 2nd only to David Cameron.
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 22:09 - May 9 with 4126 viewssparks

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 22:06 - May 9 by JakeITFC

Your argument is basically that the baby doesn’t look black so it’s fine to be racist.

When you have to completely rephrase what someone said in order to criticise it, you are probably on thin ice.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 22:09 - May 9 with 4124 viewsitfcjoe

I've posted a couple of times on here - but no one seems to have actually listened to what Baker himself has said about it.

He has said he didn't click that the royal baby was Meghan's, he just heard Royal Baby and didn't put the 2 & 2 together.

As soon as he said someone told him it was Meghan's he took it straight down, as that is clearly racist.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 22:10 - May 9 with 4121 viewsJ2BLUE

Wow. Absolutely not what I was saying. I was saying that based on that he could have made a genuine mistake. I am not saying it's ok to be racist at all. That is a very low comment to be honest.

Truly impaired.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 22:11 - May 9 with 4112 viewsJ2BLUE

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 22:00 - May 9 by footers

Why were you replying to Jake by replying to my post?

I wasn't. I replied to Sparks. You took issue with it. I replied agreeing with a point you made and then you said none of it was fact based. I was pointing out that I was disagreeing with Jake who said it is racist.

Truly impaired.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 22:12 - May 9 with 4112 viewsmanchego

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 21:48 - May 9 by sparks

Disingenous.

He associated royal baby with posh monkey in an old photo.

He did not knowingly or intentionally, he says, associate posh monkey in old photo with a mixed race baby. So both positions are valid. No need to choose.

No. They contradict each other.

Try again. Pick one.
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 22:14 - May 9 with 4104 viewssparks

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 22:12 - May 9 by manchego

No. They contradict each other.

Try again. Pick one.

No- you are presenting a false dichotomy. They do not contradict at all. For the reasons I explained, with admirable clarity.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 22:14 - May 9 with 4094 viewsElderGrizzly

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 22:09 - May 9 by itfcjoe

I've posted a couple of times on here - but no one seems to have actually listened to what Baker himself has said about it.

He has said he didn't click that the royal baby was Meghan's, he just heard Royal Baby and didn't put the 2 & 2 together.

As soon as he said someone told him it was Meghan's he took it straight down, as that is clearly racist.

“He didn’t realise the royal baby was Meghan's”?

A bit like Hennessy didn’t realise it was a Nazi salute?

He is on Twitter every day and works in the media. I’m sure he had a hunch....

Btw - i don’t think he is racist, but I do believe he knew what he was tweeting and it was a Chris Evans style crass joke gone wrong
[Post edited 9 May 2019 22:15]
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 22:17 - May 9 with 4076 viewsfooters

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 22:11 - May 9 by J2BLUE

I wasn't. I replied to Sparks. You took issue with it. I replied agreeing with a point you made and then you said none of it was fact based. I was pointing out that I was disagreeing with Jake who said it is racist.

I see, my misunderstanding!

Sorry, I am talking in a purely philosophical manner about 'facts'.

Opinions like 'x is racist' are technically relative and subjective; they cannot be considered as facts. Facts must have some form of demonstrable, unchangeable proof in logic.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 22:19 - May 9 with 4066 viewsJ2BLUE

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 22:17 - May 9 by footers

I see, my misunderstanding!

Sorry, I am talking in a purely philosophical manner about 'facts'.

Opinions like 'x is racist' are technically relative and subjective; they cannot be considered as facts. Facts must have some form of demonstrable, unchangeable proof in logic.

I agree. This whole thread is basically people arguing against the point that it might not have been intended racism. I don't know anything about Danny Baker so i'm not defending him because i'm a fan.

Truly impaired.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 22:22 - May 9 with 4047 viewsJakeITFC

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 22:10 - May 9 by J2BLUE

Wow. Absolutely not what I was saying. I was saying that based on that he could have made a genuine mistake. I am not saying it's ok to be racist at all. That is a very low comment to be honest.

You say that it is not on the person making a gag like this to look into the parentage of the baby when saying it, i.e. the baby looks white, so I can relate it to a chimp and it’s fine.

That’s a dangerous way of thinking about it imo, and is way less valid an argument than what has actually happened in this case and damages the better points that sparks and others have raised.
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 22:25 - May 9 with 4012 viewsJ2BLUE

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 22:22 - May 9 by JakeITFC

You say that it is not on the person making a gag like this to look into the parentage of the baby when saying it, i.e. the baby looks white, so I can relate it to a chimp and it’s fine.

That’s a dangerous way of thinking about it imo, and is way less valid an argument than what has actually happened in this case and damages the better points that sparks and others have raised.

Again that is not what i'm saying. I've explained it repeatedly. If we read Joe's post it's an irrelevant point anyway if he's claiming he didn't know it was her baby.

I've made lots of points. That was one. We can agree to disagree.

Truly impaired.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 22:30 - May 9 with 3992 viewsLord_Lucan

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 22:14 - May 9 by ElderGrizzly

Btw - i don’t think he is racist, but I do believe he knew what he was tweeting and it was a Chris Evans style crass joke gone wrong

This is what I’m struggling with.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 22:33 - May 9 with 3977 viewsClapham_Junction

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 19:19 - May 9 by SpruceMoose

I think oriental is on the banned list too now. So that would have been a two for one.

I think that's a US thing. In the UK it's not widely considered offensive*

* According to my Chinese partner, who is not one to take racism lying down (she was once arrested for assault after attacking an American tourist who racially abused her in Edinburgh).
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 23:08 - May 9 with 3909 viewseireblue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 21:20 - May 9 by sparks

It does nothing of the sort. It says that tehre is a qualitative difference between a racist act and a mistake that causes entirely unintended offence.

Taking UK law, and harassment as an example, who defines what is an act of harassment.

Is it the person doing something, is it the person alleging something, or is it a third party observer that defines harassment?
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 23:29 - May 9 with 3885 viewsDarth_Koont

This whole thing is utter insanity.

People are being willfully stupid.

Pronouns: He/Him

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 00:49 - May 10 with 3840 viewsSuperfrans

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 22:14 - May 9 by ElderGrizzly

I don’t really buy the “didn’t know it was Meghan’s baby” line.

But I don’t think it was racist, nor did he know how the picture would be received.
Baker often uses these kind of images, in a totally innocent way. He has a feature on his programme about “circus animals dressed as famous people”. He has tweeted pictures like this before in different contexts.

I don’t personally believe that, for second, he thought about the race connotation. To be honest, when I saw the Tweet for the first time, I didn’t really think about it either. Then, when it was flagged, I though, “oh yeah...” As he did.

Personally, I’m gutted he’s been fired. I just hope he doesn’t retire from radio. He’s a genius and radio will be a poorer place without him.

But I’m more gutted at the pile-on today on Twitter which has been horrible - from lots of people who don’t know his schtick and don’t realise that it is perfectly possible for Baker to post a picture like this without any racist overtone at all.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024