Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live 10:37 - May 9 with 62015 viewsitfcjoe

These things are just mad, he's made a mistake, deleted the offending tweet as soon as pointed out to him and offered a full apology instantly and explained he wasn't aware.

I'd hate to be in the public eye in anyway, must be torturous

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:45 - May 9 with 1621 viewslowhouseblue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:38 - May 9 by 26_Paz

Let me get this straight ... just so I understand. Someone has posted a picture on twitter depicting a black baby as a chimp and some of you don't think he should be fired?
Wow

you little monkey.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:47 - May 9 with 1619 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:01 - May 9 by Lord_Lucan

Yes I agree really, what Ron said was really bad but I still feel a bit sorry for him. That comment has basically ruined his life, the life of a man that did so much for black footballers.

Ron Atkinson did a lot of positive things for Black Players in the English game he was lauded and loved by the likes of the Black players he brought in at WBA, like Regis, Batson, Cunningham and he has been vilified for one stupid comment. Actions speak louder than words and he did more for Black Players at a time real horrible racist chants came from the terraces in the 70's and 80's were heard all the time.

https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/pne-news/legend-brendon-b

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:48 - May 9 with 1614 viewsSpruceMoose

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:45 - May 9 by xrayspecs

Implicit racism is where you systematically make decisions that discriminate against a group of individuals with some common characteristic, without realising you do so.

DB posted a picture to make a point about privilege and did not recognise that this could be considered offensive by some folk.

Two totally different things.

Edited for clarity.
[Post edited 9 May 2019 18:53]

So your statement that racism requires intent was utter nonsense. Thank you for finally agreeing with me.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:48 - May 9 with 1604 viewsBrixtonBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:33 - May 9 by chicoazul

For you, where is the line between *being* racist, and doing racist acts or saying racist things?

Being racist suggests intent and over several instances. A one-off mistake that is seen by some as a racist act I'd suggest is very different.

I've told the story on here before of how I was describing a script for an ad to a Creative Director... who happens to be one of the few black Creative Directors in British advertising. Anyway, I was describing a guy walking down the street with an 80's boom box on his shoulder, blasting out tunes. Except when I got to it I described it as a "wog box" (what we called it when I was a kid). It was only at that precise moment that I realised what that word meant!

I was horrified, but the CD in question is a good bloke, realised I hadn't realised what the word meant until that moment, and has taken the piss out of me for it ever since.

But does that make me a racist?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:48 - May 9 with 1604 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:47 - May 9 by Jonnosdreadlocks

Ron Atkinson did a lot of positive things for Black Players in the English game he was lauded and loved by the likes of the Black players he brought in at WBA, like Regis, Batson, Cunningham and he has been vilified for one stupid comment. Actions speak louder than words and he did more for Black Players at a time real horrible racist chants came from the terraces in the 70's and 80's were heard all the time.

https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/pne-news/legend-brendon-b

Shame he ruined it with his awful racist outburst then.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:49 - May 9 with 1598 viewschicoazul

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:45 - May 9 by xrayspecs

Implicit racism is where you systematically make decisions that discriminate against a group of individuals with some common characteristic, without realising you do so.

DB posted a picture to make a point about privilege and did not recognise that this could be considered offensive by some folk.

Two totally different things.

Edited for clarity.
[Post edited 9 May 2019 18:53]

So racism does....or does not.....require "intent" as you put it?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:49 - May 9 with 1597 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:48 - May 9 by BrixtonBlue

Being racist suggests intent and over several instances. A one-off mistake that is seen by some as a racist act I'd suggest is very different.

I've told the story on here before of how I was describing a script for an ad to a Creative Director... who happens to be one of the few black Creative Directors in British advertising. Anyway, I was describing a guy walking down the street with an 80's boom box on his shoulder, blasting out tunes. Except when I got to it I described it as a "wog box" (what we called it when I was a kid). It was only at that precise moment that I realised what that word meant!

I was horrified, but the CD in question is a good bloke, realised I hadn't realised what the word meant until that moment, and has taken the piss out of me for it ever since.

Wow. Were you 11 in this presentation? You didn't know the weight of that word?
[Post edited 9 May 2019 18:54]

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:50 - May 9 with 1593 viewsxrayspecs

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:48 - May 9 by SpruceMoose

So your statement that racism requires intent was utter nonsense. Thank you for finally agreeing with me.

I clearly do not agree with you.

DB posted a picture to make a point about privilege and did not realise that this could be considered racist.

That does not make him a racist or what he did a racist act.

It lacked intent.
Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:52 - May 9 with 1586 viewsxrayspecs

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:49 - May 9 by chicoazul

So racism does....or does not.....require "intent" as you put it?

Does require intent.

I will correct the previous post. I thought you would understand the point without the additional qualification.
(No subject) (n/t) on 18:52 - May 9 with 1584 viewsSpruceMoose

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:50 - May 9 by xrayspecs

DB posted a picture to make a point about privilege and did not realise that this could be considered racist.

It lacked intent.

You initially said racism requires intent. I've demonstrated why you're wrong. Your last post demonstrated that also. So I'm not sure how you think you;re anything but wrong here.

Danny Baker is probably not a racist, but Danny Baker posted a racist image.

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:54 - May 9 with 1577 viewsSpruceMoose

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:52 - May 9 by xrayspecs

Does require intent.

I will correct the previous post. I thought you would understand the point without the additional qualification.

You're having a mare.

Your first example proves intent is not always required for a racist act to be committed.

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:54 - May 9 with 1574 viewschicoazul

It lacked intent.

So there we are. xrayspecs says we can post pictures of monkeys, compare them to a POC's child, but if we *say* it's not racist then it isnt and therefore it is not a racist act.
How very very depressing and awful this opinion is.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:55 - May 9 with 1569 viewssparks

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:52 - May 9 by SpruceMoose

You initially said racism requires intent. I've demonstrated why you're wrong. Your last post demonstrated that also. So I'm not sure how you think you;re anything but wrong here.

No he didn't. He posted an image which in a specific context could be construed in that way. It was not inherently racist.

He, one firmly suspects, was absolutely mortified when it was pointed out to him. There is no basis to conclude, on the information available, that he posted it with even Markle's origins in mind and as such, I struggle to see how you can even conclude some subconscious racism / prejudice.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:55 - May 9 with 1563 viewsSpruceMoose

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:54 - May 9 by chicoazul

So there we are. xrayspecs says we can post pictures of monkeys, compare them to a POC's child, but if we *say* it's not racist then it isnt and therefore it is not a racist act.

Apparently the person who commits the act should get to decide what is and isn't racist. As we all know, middle aged white blokes are the expert in this field and should thus always be deferred to.

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:56 - May 9 with 1558 viewsBrixtonBlue

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:54 - May 9 by chicoazul

You're wilfully taking things out of context.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:56 - May 9 with 1557 viewsxrayspecs

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:52 - May 9 by SpruceMoose

Oh dear.

You have only proven that we have different views.

A racist act requires intent.

I stand by that point.
(No subject) (n/t) on 18:56 - May 9 with 1550 viewsSpruceMoose

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:55 - May 9 by sparks

No he didn't. He posted an image which in a specific context could be construed in that way. It was not inherently racist.

He, one firmly suspects, was absolutely mortified when it was pointed out to him. There is no basis to conclude, on the information available, that he posted it with even Markle's origins in mind and as such, I struggle to see how you can even conclude some subconscious racism / prejudice.

You're missing the point. Just because he didn't intend for it to be seen as racist, doesn't make it not racist.

Intent is not a prerequisite for a racist act to exist.

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:57 - May 9 with 1547 viewsRyorry

It lacked intent.

Pretty poor taste in any case to liken *anyone's* baby, of whatever colour (esp a newborn cosidering what the parents have just been through) to a chimp, even as a joke - it's just insulting and crass.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:57 - May 9 with 1547 viewschicoazul

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:55 - May 9 by sparks

He posted a picture of a monkey to represent a POC woman's baby. If that is not inherently racist then what is?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:59 - May 9 with 1535 viewslowhouseblue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:48 - May 9 by BrixtonBlue

i wouldn't believe that story from anyone else.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:59 - May 9 with 1536 viewsTrequartista

Agree 100%. Crazy times.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:59 - May 9 with 1535 viewsSpruceMoose

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:56 - May 9 by xrayspecs

Oh dear.

You have only proven that we have different views.

A racist act requires intent.

I stand by that point.

Well, that's just stupid. At this point I can only conclude that you're one of these people who can't cope with being wrong.

You contradicted your own argument mate. Your own words demonstrated to us that racism doesn't require intent.

Never mind you standing by your point, I think your point is too embarrassed to stand by you at this juncture.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 19:02 - May 9 with 1514 viewsmanchego

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:31 - May 9 by chicoazul

And I am making the point that posting a picture of a monkey and comparing to a black, POC, whatever your choice of word is, woman's baby is indeed racist. I am not surprised to find that there are people on here that don't agree with this but I am disappointed.

I don't think for a second he was comparing a monkey in a suit to a new born baby on the basis of race and heritage.
He's been doing animals dressed up as humans for years. He finds it funny. I don't so much but there you go.
(No subject) (n/t) on 19:04 - May 9 with 1502 viewsitfcjoe

It lacked intent.

If you listen to him, he says he didn't click it was Meghan's baby and once he did he took it straight down.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 19:04 - May 9 with 1501 viewsballycastle

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 17:37 - May 9 by sparks

Indeed. Even if he knew, he probably didn't think of it or make the connection. The chimp in top hat and tails is an age old thing.

I find it highly improbably that an intelligent fellow like Baker would have knowingly / purposely do this. Why would he?

Why are very few on here ignoring all but the racism angle? It is a ill mannered thing to do against what I'm guessing he thought was a free hit, should it not just be condemned, apologised for and move on?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024