Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live 10:37 - May 9 with 61645 viewsitfcjoe

These things are just mad, he's made a mistake, deleted the offending tweet as soon as pointed out to him and offered a full apology instantly and explained he wasn't aware.

I'd hate to be in the public eye in anyway, must be torturous

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:34 - May 9 with 1914 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:15 - May 9 by GeoffSentence

Funny isn't it, really we should all be 'colour-blind', but in this case it has backfired.

On a slight tangent, but one thing I've come to realise is that though very well intentioned, being 'colour blind' is really a luxury only us white folk have. We can afford to not consider colour that much in our day to day lives because, well, the system is set up with us in mind and our colour doesn't impact our day to day lives. The experiences of a POC are such that colour is very much something they frequently aren't able to be blind to. There are a whole host of reminders of colour for POC, most of which a white person would never be aware of.

Now that's not the fault of white folk, no blame on them, but it is a reality. Attempting to not be colour blind to things is actually a positive step towards combating implicit societal bias and unintentional racism.
[Post edited 9 May 2019 14:37]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:36 - May 9 with 1879 viewschicoazul

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 13:43 - May 9 by BrixtonBlue

There are several posters on here, myself included, that either didn't realise or forgot that Meghan has an African American background.

If we can then so can Danny Baker. i think that's all this is.

Luckily though, we didnt tweet a picture of a monkey intended to represent a POC's baby to 500000 people.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:38 - May 9 with 1875 viewsfooters

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:34 - May 9 by SpruceMoose

On a slight tangent, but one thing I've come to realise is that though very well intentioned, being 'colour blind' is really a luxury only us white folk have. We can afford to not consider colour that much in our day to day lives because, well, the system is set up with us in mind and our colour doesn't impact our day to day lives. The experiences of a POC are such that colour is very much something they frequently aren't able to be blind to. There are a whole host of reminders of colour for POC, most of which a white person would never be aware of.

Now that's not the fault of white folk, no blame on them, but it is a reality. Attempting to not be colour blind to things is actually a positive step towards combating implicit societal bias and unintentional racism.

Excellent post, Spruce :)

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:39 - May 9 with 1873 viewsxrayspecs

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:35 - May 9 by chicoazul

Your last 3 sentences are very confusing. If some people viewed it as racist it doesnt make it racist and you can understand why they have viewed it as racist?

Hardly.

I do not consider the post to be racist.
I do though understand why it has caused offence and has been viewed as racist
I am not saying that those that have been offended are wrong the feel that way.
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:40 - May 9 with 1863 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:38 - May 9 by footers

Excellent post, Spruce :)

My one for the decade.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:41 - May 9 with 1851 viewschicoazul

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:39 - May 9 by xrayspecs

Hardly.

I do not consider the post to be racist.
I do though understand why it has caused offence and has been viewed as racist
I am not saying that those that have been offended are wrong the feel that way.

Cannot understand why you dont think posting a picture of a monkey as a joke representation of a black woman's child is not racist.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Personally I find it remarkable that.... on 14:42 - May 9 with 1865 viewsBloots

.....anyone finds it remarkable.

Taking out who the parents are and who he is, he has attempted to make a joke by saying that an ape looks like a baby of mixed racial heritage.

Eventually saying sorry, and pleading ignorance (yeah right) doesn’t make it any less racist.

Has he said that he’s got “loads of black friends” yet?

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:43 - May 9 with 1846 viewsBloomBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 13:43 - May 9 by BrixtonBlue

There are several posters on here, myself included, that either didn't realise or forgot that Meghan has an African American background.

If we can then so can Danny Baker. i think that's all this is.

Bit like me saying... I went to the ManC game last week completely forgot about Sterling's colour, not sure why they arrested me for my monkey chant, I was simply making the point I'll have a monkey on Sterling scoring the next goal.

Baker knew exactly what he was doing with that picture and the connection between a monkey and race. His humour went too far this time and tried to cover with some stupid comment about forgetting about her colour.
Login to get fewer ads

Personally I find it remarkable that.... on 14:43 - May 9 with 1836 viewschicoazul

Personally I find it remarkable that.... on 14:42 - May 9 by Bloots

.....anyone finds it remarkable.

Taking out who the parents are and who he is, he has attempted to make a joke by saying that an ape looks like a baby of mixed racial heritage.

Eventually saying sorry, and pleading ignorance (yeah right) doesn’t make it any less racist.

Has he said that he’s got “loads of black friends” yet?

AKA the Steve Harkness defence.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:43 - May 9 with 1842 viewsGeoffSentence

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:34 - May 9 by SpruceMoose

All good points.

The world is getting very confusing to a simpleton like me. Now I am not sure if it is good or bad to be colour blind.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:53 - May 9 with 1797 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:43 - May 9 by GeoffSentence

All good points.

The world is getting very confusing to a simpleton like me. Now I am not sure if it is good or bad to be colour blind.

Yes, I does feel that way at times I agree. We seem to be at a point where lots of things that have always been understood to be the 'right' or the nice way of doing things are being examined. Things evolve and if you're not paying attention (and who often is?) you can easily find yourself on the wrong side of things. I do have some sympathy for that, but it is important to realise that it is everyone's responsibility to stay engaged and on top of these things. It is possible to educate yourself, you just need to make the effort.

Why things change though, I suspect, is in part down to there being a more diverse field of opinions that are now being heard now.

I do think it's important to assume good intentions of people though. Like you said, being blind to colour, on the surface, is a good thing. What you're saying is "I treat everyone the same no matter what colour skin they have'. Again, this seems like a great approach to take. As an individual it shows you have no racist intent. On a wider societal level though, treating everybody in the same way ignores a historical reality that has traditionally put POC at a disadvantage - the playing field isn't level.

Equality doesn't mean treating everyone the same, it's about treating people in a way that helps everyone to have positive outcomes. Some people need different assistance to get to the same point.
[Post edited 9 May 2019 14:55]

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:59 - May 9 with 1764 viewsIllinoisblue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:43 - May 9 by BloomBlue

Bit like me saying... I went to the ManC game last week completely forgot about Sterling's colour, not sure why they arrested me for my monkey chant, I was simply making the point I'll have a monkey on Sterling scoring the next goal.

Baker knew exactly what he was doing with that picture and the connection between a monkey and race. His humour went too far this time and tried to cover with some stupid comment about forgetting about her colour.

it's literally nothing like that AT ALL.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:00 - May 9 with 1760 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:59 - May 9 by Illinoisblue

it's literally nothing like that AT ALL.

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you that the ever bumbling BloomBlue would get something so spectacularly wrong.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:08 - May 9 with 1731 viewsBrixtonBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:41 - May 9 by chicoazul

Cannot understand why you dont think posting a picture of a monkey as a joke representation of a black woman's child is not racist.

She's not black.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:09 - May 9 with 1725 viewsfooters

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:08 - May 9 by BrixtonBlue

She's not black.

She's a POC.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:09 - May 9 with 1722 viewsSpruceMoose

She's not black.

Do you know how she identifies? I don't. So that's a genuine question. You sound like you know.
[Post edited 9 May 2019 15:09]

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:10 - May 9 with 1718 viewschicoazul

She's not black.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:11 - May 9 with 1707 viewsBrixtonBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:10 - May 9 by chicoazul

Posting a hilarious gif doesn't chance the fact.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:11 - May 9 with 1705 viewsfooters

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:10 - May 9 by chicoazul

We're a couple of posts away from Dulux colour charts.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:11 - May 9 with 1704 viewsBrixtonBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:09 - May 9 by footers

She's a POC.

Indeed.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:12 - May 9 with 1700 viewschicoazul

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:11 - May 9 by footers

We're a couple of posts away from Dulux colour charts.

I'm just so tired. Tired!

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:12 - May 9 with 1695 viewsGeoffSentence

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:09 - May 9 by footers

She's a POC.

I can't see 'POC' getting hijacked by racists anytime soon.*

*not sure what the right emoji to convey sarcasm is.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:13 - May 9 with 1691 viewsGlasgowBlue

She's not black.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:14 - May 9 with 1679 viewsBrixtonBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:09 - May 9 by SpruceMoose

Do you know how she identifies? I don't. So that's a genuine question. You sound like you know.
[Post edited 9 May 2019 15:09]

No I don't. Her mum is black, her dad is white. That makes her mixed race, or a POC.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:14 - May 9 with 1673 viewsfooters

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:12 - May 9 by GeoffSentence

I can't see 'POC' getting hijacked by racists anytime soon.*

*not sure what the right emoji to convey sarcasm is.

POCman

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024