Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live 10:37 - May 9 with 62016 viewsitfcjoe

These things are just mad, he's made a mistake, deleted the offending tweet as soon as pointed out to him and offered a full apology instantly and explained he wasn't aware.

I'd hate to be in the public eye in anyway, must be torturous

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:27 - May 9 with 1603 viewschicoazul

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:09 - May 9 by sparks

Its not racism at all if there is no intent or ignorance behind it. Just a silly mistake.

Yes a silly mistake, accidental racism. This thread is so depressing.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:28 - May 9 with 1595 viewschicoazul

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:11 - May 9 by xrayspecs

For the final time.

If that was what he had done, then I would agree with you 100%.

It is not what happened though.

He posted an image to depict the life of privilege the new prince can expect.

It was a poor choice of image and he should have realised how it could be interpreted and the offence it could cause.

It does not make what he did racist.
[Post edited 9 May 2019 18:19]

This is not in any way answering the point I made, which is that *you* don't see that picture in that context as racist.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:28 - May 9 with 1595 viewsxrayspecs

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:22 - May 9 by SpruceMoose

Is anyone on here saying Baker is a racist though? I may have missed someone on the thread saying it. I imagine he's not, but that doesn't mean he didn't do something which was racist.

A few of us are making the point that what DB did was not a racist act.

It needs to be intentional.
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:28 - May 9 with 1593 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:27 - May 9 by chicoazul

I'm with you on this one.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:29 - May 9 with 1588 viewsBrixtonBlue

Is anyone on here saying Baker is a racist though? I may have missed someone on the thread saying it. I imagine he's not, but that doesn't mean he didn't do something which was racist.

There are certainly several suggesting he knew what he was doing (or should have done) and are thus implying he knowingly committed a racist act.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:31 - May 9 with 1584 viewschicoazul

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:28 - May 9 by xrayspecs

And I am making the point that posting a picture of a monkey and comparing to a black, POC, whatever your choice of word is, woman's baby is indeed racist. I am not surprised to find that there are people on here that don't agree with this but I am disappointed.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:32 - May 9 with 1583 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:28 - May 9 by xrayspecs

I doesn't need to be intentional. Implicit racism, is by it's very definition not intentional. That doesn't make it any less racist.

It is entirely possible to act in a racist manner, without realising it. The responsibility is on the individual to educate oneself in these matters.

Sorry, I didn't know it was racist, isn't much of an excuse at all. I accept that he made a mistake. But he should own his mistakes and endeavor to improve his conduct in the future. His somewhat passive aggressive responses to what he did doesn't suggest this is going to happen though.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:33 - May 9 with 1578 viewschicoazul

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:29 - May 9 by BrixtonBlue

There are certainly several suggesting he knew what he was doing (or should have done) and are thus implying he knowingly committed a racist act.

For you, where is the line between *being* racist, and doing racist acts or saying racist things?

Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:33 - May 9 with 1576 viewsxrayspecs

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:28 - May 9 by chicoazul

This is not in any way answering the point I made, which is that *you* don't see that picture in that context as racist.

I am answering you.

It is not racist if there is no intent.
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:33 - May 9 with 1576 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:29 - May 9 by BrixtonBlue

Well I certainly don't believe that to be the case. To be clear, my take on is is that he unintentionally committed a racist act, and his response to that has left me rather disappointed.

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:34 - May 9 with 1574 viewsSpruceMoose

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:33 - May 9 by xrayspecs

I am answering you.

Wrong. You keep saying that, but as it has been explained in this thread it is entirely possible to act in a racist way unintentionally. Society does this every damn day.
[Post edited 9 May 2019 18:35]

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:34 - May 9 with 1573 viewschicoazul

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:28 - May 9 by SpruceMoose

I'm with you on this one.

It's utterly demoralising. Some attitudes prevalent in this thread, not you agreeing with me.

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:35 - May 9 with 1568 viewschicoazul

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:33 - May 9 by xrayspecs

I am answering you.

This gives every single racist an excuse to be racist. "I didnt mean it!"

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:35 - May 9 with 1564 viewssparks

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:27 - May 9 by chicoazul

You cant equate the two at all.

Racism requires prejudice and / or discrimination. If I do a card trick and happen to pull the Ace of Spades with a black audience member, it is not racist... No mental element.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:35 - May 9 with 1561 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:34 - May 9 by chicoazul

It's utterly demoralising. Some attitudes prevalent in this thread, not you agreeing with me.

Well, I did wonder if us agreeing on this would make you second guess yourself!

Seems pretty clear cut to me. To say it is impossible to act in a racist way without intending to is utterly ridiculous.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:36 - May 9 with 1558 viewssparks

Surely you can understand the point that for it to be racist, it really has to stem from some prejudice, discrimination, ill intent, or at the very least prejudicial ignorance.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:36 - May 9 with 1557 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:35 - May 9 by sparks

You cant equate the two at all.

Racism requires prejudice and / or discrimination. If I do a card trick and happen to pull the Ace of Spades with a black audience member, it is not racist... No mental element.

Prejudice and / or discrimination are not always conscious decisions.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:37 - May 9 with 1554 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:36 - May 9 by sparks

Surely you can understand the point that for it to be racist, it really has to stem from some prejudice, discrimination, ill intent, or at the very least prejudicial ignorance.

Surely you can understand that those motivations aren't always deliberate decisions? Are you seriously saying implicit racism isn't real?

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:38 - May 9 with 1551 viewsxrayspecs

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:34 - May 9 by SpruceMoose

Wrong. You keep saying that, but as it has been explained in this thread it is entirely possible to act in a racist way unintentionally. Society does this every damn day.
[Post edited 9 May 2019 18:35]

So that fact I disagree with you makes me wrong?

I keep saying the same thing because I know I am right.
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:39 - May 9 with 1546 viewssparks

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:33 - May 9 by SpruceMoose

Well I certainly don't believe that to be the case. To be clear, my take on is is that he unintentionally committed a racist act, and his response to that has left me rather disappointed.

I cannot see how you can conclude that he did anything of the sort.

He posted a silly thing, which he may well have posted for a different, non controversial royal baby. His error was not realising / twigging the connotation. He was well aware I am sure, that such connotations exist, so it was not a case of being ignorant of things you should know to be sensitive about. That has a very differnet character to someone saying somethign racist through ignorance per se.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:39 - May 9 with 1544 viewssparks

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:36 - May 9 by SpruceMoose

Prejudice and / or discrimination are not always conscious decisions.

No one says they are.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:40 - May 9 with 1540 viewschicoazul

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:39 - May 9 by sparks

I cannot see how you can conclude that he did anything of the sort.

He posted a silly thing, which he may well have posted for a different, non controversial royal baby. His error was not realising / twigging the connotation. He was well aware I am sure, that such connotations exist, so it was not a case of being ignorant of things you should know to be sensitive about. That has a very differnet character to someone saying somethign racist through ignorance per se.

Why do you keep calling a racist thing, a silly thing?

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:40 - May 9 with 1540 viewsSpruceMoose

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:38 - May 9 by xrayspecs

So that fact I disagree with you makes me wrong?

I keep saying the same thing because I know I am right.

No, you are wrong because you are refusing to acknowledge implicit bias and unconscious racism exist. Your argument only works if you are saying those are made up things.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:42 - May 9 with 1531 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:39 - May 9 by sparks

No one says they are.

Well you are for one. Unless you're explaining yourself extremely badly, you appear to be saying racism isn't possible if it isn't deliberate - and I've just demolished that argument.

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:45 - May 9 with 1505 viewsxrayspecs

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:40 - May 9 by SpruceMoose

No, you are wrong because you are refusing to acknowledge implicit bias and unconscious racism exist. Your argument only works if you are saying those are made up things.

Implicit racism is where you systematically make decisions that discriminate against a group of individuals with some common characteristic, without realising you do so.

DB posted a picture to make a point about privilege and did not recognise that this could be considered offensive by some folk.

Two totally different things.

Edited for clarity.
[Post edited 9 May 2019 18:53]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024