Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live 10:37 - May 9 with 62005 viewsitfcjoe

These things are just mad, he's made a mistake, deleted the offending tweet as soon as pointed out to him and offered a full apology instantly and explained he wasn't aware.

I'd hate to be in the public eye in anyway, must be torturous

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 19:06 - May 9 with 918 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 19:02 - May 9 by manchego

I don't think for a second he was comparing a monkey in a suit to a new born baby on the basis of race and heritage.
He's been doing animals dressed up as humans for years. He finds it funny. I don't so much but there you go.

10 pages for something so simple. Let's simplify.

1) Danny Baker is probably not racist and he's probably very upset that what he posted has been seen that way.

2) Did he unintentionally post something racist? Yes.

3) Should he have been fired? That's between him and his employer. Would I be fired if I did that at work? Yes.

4) Should he apologise and genuinely think about why what he posted is racist? Yes.

I don't see how it is anymore complicated than that.

Edit - adding a 5) Should he forevermore be crucified for it? No.
[Post edited 9 May 2019 19:13]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:06 - May 9 with 918 viewsmanchego

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:52 - May 9 by SpruceMoose

You initially said racism requires intent. I've demonstrated why you're wrong. Your last post demonstrated that also. So I'm not sure how you think you;re anything but wrong here.

Danny Baker is probably not a racist, but Danny Baker posted a racist image.

It's not a racist image.
(No subject) (n/t) on 19:06 - May 9 with 918 viewsballycastle

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:04 - May 9 by itfcjoe

If you listen to him, he says he didn't click it was Meghan's baby and once he did he took it straight down.

So admitting as long as it wasn't a black baby it was ok? Such a wrong thing to do.
(No subject) (n/t) on 19:07 - May 9 with 911 viewsSpruceMoose

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:06 - May 9 by manchego

It's not a racist image.

It is to me.

So now what?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:07 - May 9 with 910 viewsxrayspecs

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:59 - May 9 by SpruceMoose

Well, that's just stupid. At this point I can only conclude that you're one of these people who can't cope with being wrong.

You contradicted your own argument mate. Your own words demonstrated to us that racism doesn't require intent.

Never mind you standing by your point, I think your point is too embarrassed to stand by you at this juncture.

Culpability requires intent

I have said this repeatedly so which bit do you not understand?
(No subject) (n/t) on 19:09 - May 9 with 898 viewsSpruceMoose

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:07 - May 9 by xrayspecs

Culpability requires intent

I have said this repeatedly so which bit do you not understand?

I don't understand why you're dong this to yourself! I can do this all day though. You post something silly which is quickly and easily dismissed, I'll laugh at you.

Your posts speak for themselves. I don't have to convince anyone, you do that for me.

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:09 - May 9 with 898 viewsitfcjoe

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:06 - May 9 by ballycastle

So admitting as long as it wasn't a black baby it was ok? Such a wrong thing to do.

It's a joke, which if the target was not a baby of a POC would have been seen as such. Some would have found it funny, some wouldn't, most would have been non plussed and the world would have continued to turn.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 19:10 - May 9 with 891 viewsballycastle

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 19:06 - May 9 by SpruceMoose

1) Danny Baker is probably not racist and he's probably very upset that what he posted has been seen that way.

3) Should he have been fired? That's between him and his employer. Would I be fired if I did that at work? Yes.

4) Should he apologise and genuinely think about why what he posted is racist? Yes.

But is it just a really obnoxious thing to post about a couple that mean a lot to a great deal of the population?

Or are the royal family a free hit unless it is insulting a black member of that family?
Login to get fewer ads

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 19:12 - May 9 with 880 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 19:10 - May 9 by ballycastle

But is it just a really obnoxious thing to post about a couple that mean a lot to a great deal of the population?

Or are the royal family a free hit unless it is insulting a black member of that family?

I don't think their jobs are of critical importance here.

But would I see it the same way if they weren't royals and were just Homer and Marge off the street? Then yes.

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:13 - May 9 with 871 viewssparks

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:55 - May 9 by SpruceMoose

Apparently the person who commits the act should get to decide what is and isn't racist. As we all know, middle aged white blokes are the expert in this field and should thus always be deferred to.

Not what anyone said.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:13 - May 9 with 864 viewsxrayspecs

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:09 - May 9 by SpruceMoose

I don't understand why you're dong this to yourself! I can do this all day though. You post something silly which is quickly and easily dismissed, I'll laugh at you.

Your posts speak for themselves. I don't have to convince anyone, you do that for me.

I see, having failed to win the argument, you want to make it personal.

You are confusing your opinion with facts and the law.
(No subject) (n/t) on 19:14 - May 9 with 860 viewsballycastle

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:09 - May 9 by itfcjoe

It's a joke, which if the target was not a baby of a POC would have been seen as such. Some would have found it funny, some wouldn't, most would have been non plussed and the world would have continued to turn.

A joke about a new born baby? Great that, some peoples moral compass has gone full right on racism and ignored the completely obnoxious bad taste post by a man paid for out of the public purse.

I am far from a royalist by the way, it is just bad, bad manners from a man that should have known better.
(No subject) (n/t) on 19:15 - May 9 with 855 viewssparks

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:57 - May 9 by chicoazul

He posted a picture of a monkey to represent a POC woman's baby. If that is not inherently racist then what is?

Post of the day.

Objecting to a post explaining that the picture is not inherently racist but requires context to be seen that way...

By setting the picture in its context and construing it that way.

I repeat my point abotu the Ace of Spades in a magic trick- which was a facile point, but actually seems to be needed...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 19:16 - May 9 with 849 viewsLord_Lucan

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:48 - May 9 by BrixtonBlue

Being racist suggests intent and over several instances. A one-off mistake that is seen by some as a racist act I'd suggest is very different.

I've told the story on here before of how I was describing a script for an ad to a Creative Director... who happens to be one of the few black Creative Directors in British advertising. Anyway, I was describing a guy walking down the street with an 80's boom box on his shoulder, blasting out tunes. Except when I got to it I described it as a "wog box" (what we called it when I was a kid). It was only at that precise moment that I realised what that word meant!

I was horrified, but the CD in question is a good bloke, realised I hadn't realised what the word meant until that moment, and has taken the piss out of me for it ever since.

But does that make me a racist?

Fecking hell BB, a Wog box?

Did you have a 20 year sabbatical from planet earth?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:16 - May 9 with 849 viewsitfcjoe

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:14 - May 9 by ballycastle

A joke about a new born baby? Great that, some peoples moral compass has gone full right on racism and ignored the completely obnoxious bad taste post by a man paid for out of the public purse.

I am far from a royalist by the way, it is just bad, bad manners from a man that should have known better.

It's a joke about it being born into a world of privilege, hardly the most controversial thing to joke about.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 19:16 - May 9 with 846 viewsballycastle

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 19:12 - May 9 by SpruceMoose

I don't think their jobs are of critical importance here.

But would I see it the same way if they weren't royals and were just Homer and Marge off the street? Then yes.

Ignore the racism, ignore it and ask is it still offensive? It undoubtedly is to many people.
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 19:17 - May 9 with 840 viewssparks

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 19:06 - May 9 by SpruceMoose

No- he unintentionally posted something which was construed as racist.

I have no doubt he fully understands and accepts the connotations attached once they were pointed out, but didnt when he posted it.

Mens fecking Rea!

"1.
showing or feeling discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or believing that a particular race is superior to another."

There is nothing in this incident upon which you can rely to conclude that it was born of racism rather than happenstance.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 19:17 - May 9 with 836 viewsitfcjoe

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 19:16 - May 9 by Lord_Lucan

Fecking hell BB, a Wog box?

Did you have a 20 year sabbatical from planet earth?

I went to the football with my mate's Grandad once and he was shocked at how many 'Wogs' Nottingham Forest had.

We told him it was racist and he insisted it was a term of endearment meaning a Wily Oriental Gentleman

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 19:17 - May 9 with 828 viewsfooters

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 18:48 - May 9 by BrixtonBlue

Being racist suggests intent and over several instances. A one-off mistake that is seen by some as a racist act I'd suggest is very different.

I've told the story on here before of how I was describing a script for an ad to a Creative Director... who happens to be one of the few black Creative Directors in British advertising. Anyway, I was describing a guy walking down the street with an 80's boom box on his shoulder, blasting out tunes. Except when I got to it I described it as a "wog box" (what we called it when I was a kid). It was only at that precise moment that I realised what that word meant!

I was horrified, but the CD in question is a good bloke, realised I hadn't realised what the word meant until that moment, and has taken the piss out of me for it ever since.

But does that make me a racist?

This is an excellent story.

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 19:18 - May 9 with 828 viewssparks

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 19:16 - May 9 by ballycastle

Ignore the racism, ignore it and ask is it still offensive? It undoubtedly is to many people.

To paraphrase Chris Hitchens- "Im offended" is not an argument.

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:19 - May 9 with 826 viewsSpruceMoose

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:13 - May 9 by xrayspecs

I see, having failed to win the argument, you want to make it personal.

You are confusing your opinion with facts and the law.

Sorry, I'm still chuckling at your refusal to accept that racism doesn't require intent, while saying that implicit racism exists.

You're just confused full stop.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 19:19 - May 9 with 820 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 19:17 - May 9 by itfcjoe

I went to the football with my mate's Grandad once and he was shocked at how many 'Wogs' Nottingham Forest had.

We told him it was racist and he insisted it was a term of endearment meaning a Wily Oriental Gentleman

I think oriental is on the banned list too now. So that would have been a two for one.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 19:20 - May 9 with 816 viewsitfcjoe

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 19:19 - May 9 by SpruceMoose

I think oriental is on the banned list too now. So that would have been a two for one.

This was in the late 90s

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 19:21 - May 9 with 804 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 19:16 - May 9 by ballycastle

I'm not sure what your point is? That it is unkind to be rude about people? Well yes. That's not in the same class of insult as racism though.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 19:22 - May 9 with 796 viewsLord_Lucan

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 19:17 - May 9 by itfcjoe

Worthy Oriental Gentleman

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024