Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live 10:37 - May 9 with 62014 viewsitfcjoe

These things are just mad, he's made a mistake, deleted the offending tweet as soon as pointed out to him and offered a full apology instantly and explained he wasn't aware.

I'd hate to be in the public eye in anyway, must be torturous

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:35 - May 10 with 2061 viewsbrazil1982

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:48 - May 9 by J2BLUE

He's on there for entertainment value. Not saying it's right but he's a pantomime villain to one side and a hero to the other.

He's also a very good speaker. You can see why the BBC might be tempted to sacrifice their values for ratings.

K Clarke has appeared 59 times; Harriet Harman 45; Clare Short 39

So, no, not a record.
Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 12:42 - May 10 with 2044 viewsitfcjoe

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 11:53 - May 10 by J2BLUE

The image could be interpreted as racist. That is why he deleted it. He wasn't admitting guilt by removing it, just acknowledging that some may interpret it as racist.

Would the image have been racist if it was William and Kate having a baby? The image isn't racist but some can interpret it to be so in this context.
[Post edited 10 May 2019 11:53]

The image in the context is racist, which is what DB realised and why he pulled it.

He is admitting guilt, the image wouldn't have been racist if it was William and Kate - but it wasn't.

He knows he did wrong, and my opinion on him hasn't changed - it was just a misstep with no underlying or ulterior motive.

Sacking from BBC is way OTT, and is more to it than this when Alan Sugar can tweet what he did. Stan Collymore tweeted some sense about it - and how if people have value to the roganisation they will make excuses for them, if not they throw the book at them

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:23 - May 10 with 1960 viewsBLUEBEAT

The actual picture.... both humans in it are white, not one white and one mixed race....

However, as a self-declared massive football fan, Baker would know the endless racist abuse black and mixed-race players still suffer both home and abroad; he'd know about the bananas hurled at John Barnes and countless others; he'd know about the Montenegro fans and the ape chants; he'd know about Danny Rose and Raheem Sterling and other militant, necessary young voices saying enough is surely now enough. Yet still he tweeted that image. For shame.

Poll: W or W

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:41 - May 10 with 1920 viewsBrixtonBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:23 - May 10 by BLUEBEAT

The actual picture.... both humans in it are white, not one white and one mixed race....

However, as a self-declared massive football fan, Baker would know the endless racist abuse black and mixed-race players still suffer both home and abroad; he'd know about the bananas hurled at John Barnes and countless others; he'd know about the Montenegro fans and the ape chants; he'd know about Danny Rose and Raheem Sterling and other militant, necessary young voices saying enough is surely now enough. Yet still he tweeted that image. For shame.

What part of it was a joke about privilege not race are some of you struggling with?
[Post edited 10 May 2019 14:42]

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:55 - May 10 with 1881 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:41 - May 10 by BrixtonBlue

What part of it was a joke about privilege not race are some of you struggling with?

The same part where you refuse to acknowledge the historical context of linking black people with chimps...

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:57 - May 10 with 1872 viewsGlasgowBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:41 - May 10 by BrixtonBlue

You choose some odd hills to die on Dollers.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:00 - May 10 with 1855 viewsGlasgowBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:55 - May 10 by SpruceMoose

The same part where you refuse to acknowledge the historical context of linking black people with chimps...

I’m amazed this thread is still going. It’s logical conclusion was posted by you yesterday.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live by SpruceMoose 9 May 2019 19:06
10 pages for something so simple. Let's simplify.

1) Danny Baker is probably not racist and he's probably very upset that what he posted has been seen that way.

2) Did he unintentionally post something racist? Yes.

3) Should he have been fired? That's between him and his employer. Would I be fired if I did that at work? Yes.

4) Should he apologise and genuinely think about why what he posted is racist? Yes.

I don't see how it is anymore complicated than that.

Edit - adding a 5) Should he forevermore be crucified for it? No.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:03 - May 10 with 1842 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:00 - May 10 by GlasgowBlue

I’m amazed this thread is still going. It’s logical conclusion was posted by you yesterday.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live by SpruceMoose 9 May 2019 19:06
10 pages for something so simple. Let's simplify.

1) Danny Baker is probably not racist and he's probably very upset that what he posted has been seen that way.

3) Should he have been fired? That's between him and his employer. Would I be fired if I did that at work? Yes.

4) Should he apologise and genuinely think about why what he posted is racist? Yes.

Ta Glassers. I'm not even sure if a lot of the people on this thread even know what they are arguing about anymore

Nobody seems to think he's a racist. He's apologised. Whether he should have been sacked or not is different matter. Whats left to disagree about?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Login to get fewer ads

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:09 - May 10 with 1823 viewsSwansea_Blue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:03 - May 10 by SpruceMoose

Ta Glassers. I'm not even sure if a lot of the people on this thread even know what they are arguing about anymore

Nobody seems to think he's a racist. He's apologised. Whether he should have been sacked or not is different matter. Whats left to disagree about?

"What's left to disagree about"

Hi, you must be new around here!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:09 - May 10 with 1820 viewsBrixtonBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 14:55 - May 10 by SpruceMoose

OMG, what is wrong with people in this thread putting words in people's mouths?!?

Spruce, please explain where I've refuse to acknowledge the historical context of linking black people with chimps.

Another one using racism to have a pop at me. Disgraceful.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:11 - May 10 with 1815 viewsBrixtonBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:03 - May 10 by SpruceMoose

I'd have been happy to leave it there, but you literally just accused me of refusing to acknowledge the historical context of linking black people with chimps, when I've done no such thing.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:15 - May 10 with 1791 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:09 - May 10 by BrixtonBlue

OMG, what is wrong with people in this thread putting words in people's mouths?!?

Spruce, please explain where I've refuse to acknowledge the historical context of linking black people with chimps.

Another one using racism to have a pop at me. Disgraceful.

I've read all your posts and I have no idea a) what your point is and b) what it is you're so upset about.

Please provide an idiot's guide to the above two questions so that we may proceed in a decent fashion.

Then, if you could let me know which parts of the below statements you disagree with, that would be a huge help.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:18 - May 10 with 1771 viewsDarth_Koont

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:15 - May 10 by SpruceMoose

I've read all your posts and I have no idea a) what your point is and b) what it is you're so upset about.

Please provide an idiot's guide to the above two questions so that we may proceed in a decent fashion.

Then, if you could let me know which parts of the below statements you disagree with, that would be a huge help.

I agree with that almost entirely but I think the sacking is morally and intellectually reprehensible.

Shows absolutely zero thought and awareness of context just a pig-ignorant knee-jerk reaction.

Pronouns: He/Him

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:20 - May 10 with 1762 viewsBrixtonBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:15 - May 10 by SpruceMoose

I thought I was quite clear in my last post;

"Spruce, please explain where I've refuse to acknowledge the historical context of linking black people with chimps."

That's what you just accused me of. Please answer.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:23 - May 10 with 1754 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:20 - May 10 by BrixtonBlue

I thought I was quite clear in my last post;

"Spruce, please explain where I've refuse to acknowledge the historical context of linking black people with chimps."

That's what you just accused me of. Please answer.

You've been reading the Art of the Swerve I see.

What is your point Dolly? What are you aggrieved about? Which of the five points do you disagree with. Why have you been disagreeing with people all throughout the thread?

Please answer, otherwise it looks like you're just needlessly being contrary.

To answer your question, you seem reluctant to accept that while yes, it can be read as a joke about privilege, it can also very much be read as a joke about race. What part of that are you struggling with?
[Post edited 10 May 2019 15:25]

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:29 - May 10 with 1723 viewsRyorry

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:18 - May 10 by Darth_Koont

I agree with that almost entirely but I think the sacking is morally and intellectually reprehensible.

Shows absolutely zero thought and awareness of context just a pig-ignorant knee-jerk reaction.

BBC probably thinking long-term re licence fee & relationship with royals - perhaps feel that they have to be seen to stamp hard on anyone straying on such sensitive issues (not my view).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:31 - May 10 with 1717 viewsBrixtonBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:23 - May 10 by SpruceMoose

You've been reading the Art of the Swerve I see.

What is your point Dolly? What are you aggrieved about? Which of the five points do you disagree with. Why have you been disagreeing with people all throughout the thread?

Please answer, otherwise it looks like you're just needlessly being contrary.

To answer your question, you seem reluctant to accept that while yes, it can be read as a joke about privilege, it can also very much be read as a joke about race. What part of that are you struggling with?
[Post edited 10 May 2019 15:25]

I'm not swerving anything. I agreed with your 5 points when you posted them a few pages back. Why you're bringing them up again here I don't know. I just asked you to please explain where I've refused to acknowledge the historical context of linking black people with chimps.

The joke was about privilege. Yes it can be read as a joke about race, and obviously was by some.

That still doesn't answer where I've refused to acknowledge the historical context of linking black people with chimps.

It seems to be you are the one swerving, because you went in two-footed and now realise I haven't ANYWHERE AT ALL refused to acknowledge the historical context of linking black people with chimps.

I look forward to your apology.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:32 - May 10 with 1711 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:31 - May 10 by BrixtonBlue

I'm not swerving anything. I agreed with your 5 points when you posted them a few pages back. Why you're bringing them up again here I don't know. I just asked you to please explain where I've refused to acknowledge the historical context of linking black people with chimps.

The joke was about privilege. Yes it can be read as a joke about race, and obviously was by some.

That still doesn't answer where I've refused to acknowledge the historical context of linking black people with chimps.

It seems to be you are the one swerving, because you went in two-footed and now realise I haven't ANYWHERE AT ALL refused to acknowledge the historical context of linking black people with chimps.

I look forward to your apology.

Well, at least you have something to look forward to now.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:33 - May 10 with 1692 viewsBrixtonBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:32 - May 10 by SpruceMoose

Well, at least you have something to look forward to now.

We know who's really being reading the Art Of Swerve now don't we?!

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:34 - May 10 with 1678 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:33 - May 10 by BrixtonBlue

We know who's really being reading the Art Of Swerve now don't we?!

Yeah, I'm up to the chapter where it discusses a case study of a grown manbaby using the word 'wog box'.

You still haven't made any kind of point btw. Feel free, at any time.
[Post edited 10 May 2019 15:35]

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:36 - May 10 with 1665 viewsDarth_Koont

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:29 - May 10 by Ryorry

BBC probably thinking long-term re licence fee & relationship with royals - perhaps feel that they have to be seen to stamp hard on anyone straying on such sensitive issues (not my view).

Probably right. But still seems like very shoddy treatment of a person, let alone an employee.

At a time when there was a need for someone to take a step back/take the heat out of the situation, they upped the ante and made it worse.

Pronouns: He/Him

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:37 - May 10 with 1652 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:36 - May 10 by Darth_Koont

Probably right. But still seems like very shoddy treatment of a person, let alone an employee.

At a time when there was a need for someone to take a step back/take the heat out of the situation, they upped the ante and made it worse.

I do agree. The fact they didn't even take a pause before pulling the trigger seems a little off.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:40 - May 10 with 1630 viewsRyorry

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:36 - May 10 by Darth_Koont

Agree.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:42 - May 10 with 1615 viewsBrixtonBlue

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:34 - May 10 by SpruceMoose

Yeah, I'm up to the chapter where it discusses a case study of a grown manbaby using the word 'wog box'.

You still haven't made any kind of point btw. Feel free, at any time.
[Post edited 10 May 2019 15:35]

My point is you accused me of refusing to acknowledge the historical context of linking black people with chimps.

I'd like you to post where I've done this or apologise for the disgusting accusation.

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:46 - May 10 with 1596 viewsSpruceMoose

Danny Baker sacked from 5 Live on 15:42 - May 10 by BrixtonBlue

My point is you accused me of refusing to acknowledge the historical context of linking black people with chimps.

I'd like you to post where I've done this or apologise for the disgusting accusation.

I've already explained that to you. You don't fool anyone with this tactic. You do it all the time on the Corbyn threads. Fake outrage in an attempt to distract from the fact that you have no real point. You can act as indignant as you like, but it doesn't hide the fact you've swerved the questions put to you.

What about this Danny Baker business are you aggrieved about? It is a simple question.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024